Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can anyone explain to me... 10:59 - May 11 with 2006 viewsFixed_It

...why schools can open from June but no word on when Parliament will reconvene?

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Can anyone explain to me... on 11:01 - May 11 with 1727 viewsBlueBadger

It's because 4 and 5 year olds are famously calm and sensible and be definitely relied upon not to touch, lick, bite or cough/sneeze all over the place and thus, set an example to parliament.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Can anyone explain to me... on 11:05 - May 11 with 1718 viewsJakeITFC

Parliament is functioning semi-well with MPs at home, I doubt schools are.

Plus some members of parliament are in the range of being 1,000s of times more likely to die from this than children.
Can anyone explain to me... on 11:06 - May 11 with 1706 viewsKeno

schools are useful and serve a purpose

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Can anyone explain to me... on 11:28 - May 11 with 1686 viewsFixed_It

Can anyone explain to me... on 11:05 - May 11 by JakeITFC

Parliament is functioning semi-well with MPs at home, I doubt schools are.

Plus some members of parliament are in the range of being 1,000s of times more likely to die from this than children.

Oh right. I missed the bit about children teaching themselves when in school without teachers and teaching assistants, and then staying there and not going home to their families after a day of not social distancing.
If it's not safe for MPs to govern by the conventional way, then why is it safe for children to be taught the conventional way?

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Can anyone explain to me... on 11:28 - May 11 with 1675 viewsFixed_It

Can anyone explain to me... on 11:06 - May 11 by Keno

schools are useful and serve a purpose

Good point. Well made.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Can anyone explain to me... on 12:07 - May 11 with 1640 viewsDarth_Koont

Because kids don't appear to be at much risk or even as a risk to others by spreading.

Whereas politicians are a risk to themselves and everyone else at the best of times.

Pronouns: He/Him

Can anyone explain to me... on 12:09 - May 11 with 1625 viewsGeoffSentence

Because our MPs can, and are in terms of parliamentary business, work from home.

If you can work from home, you must work from home.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Can anyone explain to me... on 12:32 - May 11 with 1578 viewsPinewoodblue

Can anyone explain to me... on 11:28 - May 11 by Fixed_It

Oh right. I missed the bit about children teaching themselves when in school without teachers and teaching assistants, and then staying there and not going home to their families after a day of not social distancing.
If it's not safe for MPs to govern by the conventional way, then why is it safe for children to be taught the conventional way?

Class sizes will be cut considerably, I would imagined halved, with so many spare teachers and classrooms.

This seems a sensible response so is probably totally wrong and not consistent to the government’s approach to anything.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Login to get fewer ads

Can anyone explain to me... on 12:48 - May 11 with 1546 viewsPablokuqi

Can anyone explain to me... on 12:32 - May 11 by Pinewoodblue

Class sizes will be cut considerably, I would imagined halved, with so many spare teachers and classrooms.

This seems a sensible response so is probably totally wrong and not consistent to the government’s approach to anything.

If class sizes are halved, where exactly do the extra classrooms and spare teachers come from? For example a class of 30 with a teacher in classroom 1. Will be a class of 15 with a teacher in classroom 1. Assuming it remains R, Yr 1 and Yr 6 you are right there would be extra classrooms and teachers but they will have to teach the key worker children from the other year groups and still provide work and feedback to their own pupils at home. Of course lots of teachers have children so they will return to their schools increasing the number of key worker children attending. Assuming a two form entry school of 30 in each class, that is still a lot of children turning up on 1st June. We will have to wait for the Department of Education guidance to see how they envisage it working.

Based on current government form it will not be well thought out!
Can anyone explain to me... on 13:00 - May 11 with 1521 viewsGuthrum

Can anyone explain to me... on 12:07 - May 11 by Darth_Koont

Because kids don't appear to be at much risk or even as a risk to others by spreading.

Whereas politicians are a risk to themselves and everyone else at the best of times.

Not strictly true. There is quite a lot of evidence that children are asymptomatic (or nearly so) carriers of the virus. Just few develop it fully.

A very small number, both here and in the US, have had some sort of highly dangerous inflammation syndrome which may or may not be a reaction to Covid (they don't know yet).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Can anyone explain to me... on 13:06 - May 11 with 1499 viewsHerbivore

They see teachers as expendable. Many earn under £30k so they're not even skilled workers according to the current regime.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Can anyone explain to me... on 13:07 - May 11 with 1498 viewsFixed_It

Can anyone explain to me... on 12:32 - May 11 by Pinewoodblue

For social distancing guidelines to be followed most classes will have a maximum of 8 students in - in some cases fewer. That is not 'halved'.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Can anyone explain to me... on 13:21 - May 11 with 1481 viewsJakeITFC

Can anyone explain to me... on 11:28 - May 11 by Fixed_It

Because the children are orders of magnitude less likely to die of this disease and don't have an alternative.
Can anyone explain to me... on 13:27 - May 11 with 1461 viewsPhilTWTD

Can anyone explain to me... on 13:00 - May 11 by Guthrum

Not strictly true. There is quite a lot of evidence that children are asymptomatic (or nearly so) carriers of the virus. Just few develop it fully.

A very small number, both here and in the US, have had some sort of highly dangerous inflammation syndrome which may or may not be a reaction to Covid (they don't know yet).

There is evidence - not definitive as yet of course - that they very rarely transmit the virus.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/children-may-not-be-super-spreaders-aftera
Can anyone explain to me... on 13:33 - May 11 with 1438 viewsSwansea_Blue

And I think they need to find out about these possibly linked issues in kids before resuming school, imo. I'd be surprised if there isn't more evidence on this within the next month; now it's been flagged there will be some pretty rapid studies to find out what's going on.

I'm just thankful I'm in Wales as it looks like they're going to hold true to a more cautious path rather than follow England into a (potentially) premature return.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Can anyone explain to me... on 13:34 - May 11 with 1431 viewsfactual_blue

dominic.raab@fco.gsi.gov.uk

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Can anyone explain to me... on 13:40 - May 11 with 1417 viewsfactual_blue

Can anyone explain to me... on 12:07 - May 11 by Darth_Koont

You can't catch the virus if you're under forty. That's already been established.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Can anyone explain to me... on 13:40 - May 11 with 1422 viewsMullet

3.4k likes for a bloke who admits further down that thread to spending his time spying on teachers and lamenting their lack of work ethic.

That's the sort of attitude we're facing right now.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Haven't you got 5 minutes worth.... on 13:45 - May 11 with 1404 viewsBloots

Can anyone explain to me... on 13:40 - May 11 by Mullet

3.4k likes for a bloke who admits further down that thread to spending his time spying on teachers and lamenting their lack of work ethic.

….of "marking" to do before you knock off for the day?

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Can anyone explain to me... on 13:47 - May 11 with 1400 viewsHerbivore

What a ball bag.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Can anyone explain to me... on 13:49 - May 11 with 1391 viewsSwansea_Blue

Don't worry Mullers. You can stalk him on social media during your 5 months off a year.

*runs away*

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Can anyone explain to me... on 13:53 - May 11 with 1387 viewsPablokuqi

Can anyone explain to me... on 13:27 - May 11 by PhilTWTD

There is evidence - not definitive as yet of course - that they very rarely transmit the virus.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/children-may-not-be-super-spreaders-aftera

And the counter study that says they do.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/children-as-likely-to-spread-coron
Can anyone explain to me... on 14:02 - May 11 with 1354 viewsDarth_Koont

Yes, but children aren't anything like as much at risk and they are limited spreaders too. Certainly, compared to adults who we're letting work and move around society anyway.

We seem to have got this @rse about face from the scientific point of view.

Pronouns: He/Him

Can anyone explain to me... on 14:07 - May 11 with 1330 viewsBlueBadger

Can anyone explain to me... on 13:21 - May 11 by JakeITFC

Because the children are orders of magnitude less likely to die of this disease and don't have an alternative.

They are however, several million times more likely to be supercarriers with a propensity for coughing, snotting, spitting, touching and licking over everything...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Can anyone explain to me... on 14:08 - May 11 with 1329 viewsDanTheMan

Well I went down a rabbit hole I wish I wouldn't have done starting with that tweet.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024