Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wuhan reports new cases of Covid-19 for the first time since 13:51 - May 11 with 654 viewshomer_123

3rd April.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-52613138
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/11/now-it-starts-again-new-coronaviru

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Wuhan reports new cases of Covid-19 for the first time since on 13:53 - May 11 with 644 viewsStokieBlue

I saw that yesterday there had been a small spike in a province in the NE of China. This was their response:

"A day later, the city declared martial law and went into lockdown, with the government ordering all public places to be temporarily shut, said a Global Times report."

That will probably work. We however now know that it wouldn't work here as people don't want and possibly won't accept a stricter lockdown and certainly not martial law which is another step beyond that.

SB
[Post edited 11 May 2020 13:55]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Wuhan reports new cases of Covid-19 for the first time since on 13:59 - May 11 with 610 viewshomer_123

Wuhan reports new cases of Covid-19 for the first time since on 13:53 - May 11 by StokieBlue

I saw that yesterday there had been a small spike in a province in the NE of China. This was their response:

"A day later, the city declared martial law and went into lockdown, with the government ordering all public places to be temporarily shut, said a Global Times report."

That will probably work. We however now know that it wouldn't work here as people don't want and possibly won't accept a stricter lockdown and certainly not martial law which is another step beyond that.

SB
[Post edited 11 May 2020 13:55]

Yes, I think that is correct.

Although interesting to see what Germany and S Korea are going to do following their increases as well.

You are right - given the distinct change in many peoples approach to the restrictions over the last week or so - it certainly appears that people are now deciding what, if any, of the rules they'll choose to follow.

My feeling is that Boris's announcement (which isn't really relaxing restrictions) is merely to try and appease those that seem hell bent on doing their own thing. Given that Wales and Scotland are both continuing with pretty much the original approach.

Wuhan reports new cases of Covid-19 for the first time since on 14:03 - May 11 with 599 viewsmonytowbray

Wuhan reports new cases of Covid-19 for the first time since on 13:59 - May 11 by homer_123

Although interesting to see what Germany and S Korea are going to do following their increases as well.

You are right - given the distinct change in many peoples approach to the restrictions over the last week or so - it certainly appears that people are now deciding what, if any, of the rules they'll choose to follow.

My feeling is that Boris's announcement (which isn't really relaxing restrictions) is merely to try and appease those that seem hell bent on doing their own thing. Given that Wales and Scotland are both continuing with pretty much the original approach.

Popularity and votes are more important to this lot though than, ya know, saving lives.

Not really a surprise.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Wuhan reports new cases of Covid-19 for the first time since on 14:06 - May 11 with 590 viewsStokieBlue

Wuhan reports new cases of Covid-19 for the first time since on 13:59 - May 11 by homer_123

I don't think some people would have ever accepted a stricter lockdown and certainly not martial law. Some people bang on about freedoms and risk (such as are recently banned troll). Others have very legitimate concerns around mental health and exercise.

In China they simply don't care about people not doing exercise for a month or their mental health. There is no debate. That just wouldn't be accepted here and that is probably how we should all want things to be. It also highlights how one strategy that can work can't be implemented everywhere.

SB
[Post edited 11 May 2020 14:06]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Wuhan reports new cases of Covid-19 for the first time since on 14:43 - May 11 with 548 viewshomer_123

Wuhan reports new cases of Covid-19 for the first time since on 14:06 - May 11 by StokieBlue

I don't think some people would have ever accepted a stricter lockdown and certainly not martial law. Some people bang on about freedoms and risk (such as are recently banned troll). Others have very legitimate concerns around mental health and exercise.

In China they simply don't care about people not doing exercise for a month or their mental health. There is no debate. That just wouldn't be accepted here and that is probably how we should all want things to be. It also highlights how one strategy that can work can't be implemented everywhere.

SB
[Post edited 11 May 2020 14:06]

Oh I agree - what works in China isn't feasible here (although it begs the question...is it working in China?).

I certainly wouldn't want to see martial law here - in any form.

Part of what we do (work wise) is very much around mental health and well being at work - which, at the moment, absolutely covers this from a 'home' perspective and looking at the longer term implications of more working from home after the current crisis abates (work practices in the next 3 to 5 years and beyond). We will see a shift in how businesses operate - you'll see less large offices, more relaxed working and opportunity to work from home.

Herein lies the problem the government (all governments) are wrestling with. What are the implications of the current restrictions. Do the benefits outweigh the risk? How sustainable is it? What is the cost (economic and individual health)? And so on.

As you know, my observations over the past 2 weeks is that people have been doing their own thing. A lot more people out and about, far less social distancing etc. So, if you take last nights statement - it really doesn't do anything over and above what is really already happening - I do believe it's lip service - to appease and no more.

Fundamentally nothing has changed. Either from a restriction perspective nor from what this virus is doing and our ability to manage/ cope or defeat it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024