Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bowie fans ... This is 'Five Years' isn't it! 04:12 - May 12 with 707 viewsurbanblue

Only just discovered this.

It was a very limited release and none of the reviews seem to have picked up on the undoubted similarities right through to the almost identical end. I did a bit of sleuthing and discovered ....

1. All the reviews said it was LCD Soundsystems first release in, you guessed it ... Five years.

2. It was released two weeks before Bowie died.

3. James Murphy was at the 'Blackstar' sessions and had been in constant contact with Bowie who he credits as being the person who convinced him to reform LCD Soundsystem.

I think it's excellent. One mans tribute is another mans lawsuit. I think Bowie may have been in on it!

Bowie fans ... This is 'Five Years' isn't it! on 07:16 - May 12 with 626 viewsdickie

Their last album American Dream has Scary Monsters all over it. James Murphy has always been open about his Bowie obsession. I read this from him in an interview once:

"The LCD leader said when the pair had first met, Bowie didn’t realise who he was, but later told him how big a fan of his work he was. Murphy said he had replied: “If you know anything about my work, you know I’m an enormous fan of your work because I steal from you liberally.”

Bowie then responded: “You can’t steal from a thief, darling.”"
[Post edited 12 May 2020 8:15]
Bowie fans ... This is 'Five Years' isn't it! on 08:29 - May 12 with 602 viewshampstead_blue

My wife used to know Bowie when she was in the music industry.
Lovely guy but would hoover up your stash......

Have to say I still can't believe he's gone. An icon.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Bowie fans ... This is 'Five Years' isn't it! on 15:23 - May 12 with 497 viewsurbanblue

Bowie fans ... This is 'Five Years' isn't it! on 07:16 - May 12 by dickie

Their last album American Dream has Scary Monsters all over it. James Murphy has always been open about his Bowie obsession. I read this from him in an interview once:

"The LCD leader said when the pair had first met, Bowie didn’t realise who he was, but later told him how big a fan of his work he was. Murphy said he had replied: “If you know anything about my work, you know I’m an enormous fan of your work because I steal from you liberally.”

Bowie then responded: “You can’t steal from a thief, darling.”"
[Post edited 12 May 2020 8:15]

Superb ... I just found that interview on YouTube.

James Murphy is known for paying 'Tribute' to artists in his music which maybe is what you call ripping off when you're cool!

I listened to 'Sound of Silver' again and 'New York I Love you, but your bringing Me Down' is an absolute nod to 'Rock and Roll Suicide' while despite having listened to 'All of my Friends' dozens of times I now hear 'Heroes' in there.

Of course, the most obvious is 'Get Innocuous' where the riff is clearly taken from 'The Robots' by Kraftwerk.

All good stuff though!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024