Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy 12:47 - May 12 with 2257 viewsgordon

Basically it's about distancing themselves from the political consequences of future failings and passing responsibility over to us.

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 12:49 - May 12 with 2051 viewsSomethingBlue

It is the only way they know. And it will work a treat unless there is a massive mentality shift among enormous swathes of the population.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:02 - May 12 with 2001 viewsHerbivore

They ran an entire election campaign on distancing themselves from responsibility for a decade of destroying the country. It's their entire MO.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:03 - May 12 with 1998 viewspointofblue

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:02 - May 12 by Herbivore

They ran an entire election campaign on distancing themselves from responsibility for a decade of destroying the country. It's their entire MO.

Just to add - it worked.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:05 - May 12 with 1992 viewsHerbivore

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:03 - May 12 by pointofblue

Just to add - it worked.

It certainly did. The Labour voters they won over thought they were voting for change, when they were voting for a more hardcore version of a government that had spent the last decade breaking them down.

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:06 - May 12 with 1996 viewsLord_Lucan

But people do need to use common sense, there is no doubt about that.

Whilst shopping yesterday I kept my head down when coming into closer contact to people than what I would have liked. By doing this the chances of infection are reduced.

At the same time a fellow customer was shouting to her young daughter who had ran off to look at cakes. Not only should she have kept closer reigns on her daughter she shouldn't have shouted out potentially spreading germs all down the aisle.

Whilst I think the latest guidelines are premature and confusing there is no denying that people should use their common sense.

Surely anyone who thinks that a directive to use common sense is wrong clearly has no common sense of their own.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:09 - May 12 with 1968 viewsgordon

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:06 - May 12 by Lord_Lucan

Whilst shopping yesterday I kept my head down when coming into closer contact to people than what I would have liked. By doing this the chances of infection are reduced.

At the same time a fellow customer was shouting to her young daughter who had ran off to look at cakes. Not only should she have kept closer reigns on her daughter she shouldn't have shouted out potentially spreading germs all down the aisle.

Whilst I think the latest guidelines are premature and confusing there is no denying that people should use their common sense.

Surely anyone who thinks that a directive to use common sense is wrong clearly has no common sense of their own.

Exhibit A.
Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:11 - May 12 with 1965 viewsHerbivore

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:06 - May 12 by Lord_Lucan

A directive to use common sense to interpret and implement incredibly vague and confusing guidance is woefully inadequate during a pandemic. Surely you can see that? Nobody is saying don't use common sense, but when telling people to use common sense is the government's entire strategy I think it's fair to question whether that's an acceptable way forward. And you've demonstrated that with your own example, plenty of people don't exercise common sense so it's even more foolhardy to be relying on it to get us out of lockdown.

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:20 - May 12 with 1933 viewsLord_Lucan

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:11 - May 12 by Herbivore

A directive to use common sense to interpret and implement incredibly vague and confusing guidance is woefully inadequate during a pandemic. Surely you can see that? Nobody is saying don't use common sense, but when telling people to use common sense is the government's entire strategy I think it's fair to question whether that's an acceptable way forward. And you've demonstrated that with your own example, plenty of people don't exercise common sense so it's even more foolhardy to be relying on it to get us out of lockdown.

I agree that I think that the latest directives are a mumble jumble, I have said that from the start.

Whether anyone agrees with the latest directive or not it is not the case that using common sense is the governments entire strategy.

Suggesting it is is just daft and wrong.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Login to get fewer ads

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:21 - May 12 with 1935 viewsTractorWood

Common sense is hugely judgemental. Some may say it's common sense to pay down your mortgage or to not drink heavily or to not fly tip.

We don't live in a world where common sense is widely exhibited. Certainly during a pandemic, clear and enforceable guidance is really important. Saying it in this context to employers, teachers and such is vague to the point of being useless.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:27 - May 12 with 1909 viewsHerbivore

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:20 - May 12 by Lord_Lucan

I agree that I think that the latest directives are a mumble jumble, I have said that from the start.

Whether anyone agrees with the latest directive or not it is not the case that using common sense is the governments entire strategy.

But it's been the line they've trotted out whenever they've been asked what is meant by 'stay alert'. They are barely putting any meat on the vague, ambiguous slogans and instead making it clear that people need to exercise their own judgement.

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:29 - May 12 with 1898 viewsgordon

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:21 - May 12 by TractorWood

Common sense is hugely judgemental. Some may say it's common sense to pay down your mortgage or to not drink heavily or to not fly tip.

We don't live in a world where common sense is widely exhibited. Certainly during a pandemic, clear and enforceable guidance is really important. Saying it in this context to employers, teachers and such is vague to the point of being useless.

Common Sense would probably be not announcing to the nation that you've just been to a hospital with COVID patients and you went round shaking everyone's hand, I think.
Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:30 - May 12 with 1897 viewsMaySixth

I had Covid-19 early on - Mar 15th - got over it in a few weeks - one of the lucky ones.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:32 - May 12 with 1880 viewsgordon

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:20 - May 12 by Lord_Lucan

A directive to use common sense is entirely meaningless by definition, though.
Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:35 - May 12 with 1865 viewsBlueBadger

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:21 - May 12 by TractorWood

Common Sense would be saying 'yes' to an offer of help from the world's largest trading bloc on sourcing vital equipment when it comes.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:40 - May 12 with 1848 viewsLord_Lucan

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:32 - May 12 by gordon

A directive to use common sense is entirely meaningless by definition, though.

FFS

This sort of thing is so fecking tedious.

I'm off to pull my fingernails out.

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:41 - May 12 with 1843 viewsgordon

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:40 - May 12 by Lord_Lucan

FFS

Come on, show some common sense.
Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:45 - May 12 with 1830 viewsSwansea_Blue

Agree, there's always a role for common sense, and that was his final point.

There's a role for common sense, but it in a situation like this clear leadership is also needed. That seems to be the main point.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:52 - May 12 with 1811 viewsfactual_blue

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:45 - May 12 by Swansea_Blue

Agree, there's always a role for common sense, and that was his final point.

There's a role for common sense, but it in a situation like this clear leadership is also needed. That seems to be the main point.

What the government seem to be saying is

Compare and contrast 'guided by the science' and 'just use common sense'.

#polaropposites

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:54 - May 12 with 1804 viewsfactual_blue

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:40 - May 12 by Lord_Lucan

FFS

That is basically the government's response to being asked questions. I'm sure many would be happy to help with the fingernails though.

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:56 - May 12 with 1797 viewsgordon

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:54 - May 12 by factual_blue

That is basically the government's response to being asked questions. I'm sure many would be happy to help with the fingernails though.

I think it was Boris' response when the scientists tried to brief him about the virus.
Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:57 - May 12 with 1800 viewshomer_123

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:52 - May 12 by factual_blue

What the government seem to be saying is

Compare and contrast 'guided by the science' and 'just use common sense'.

#polaropposites

Are they polar opposites? We make judgement calls every single second of every single day based on information.

Guidance (supported by science) says - you can meet 1 person in the park as long as you social distance.

Common sense should then tell you - this doesn't mean a family of four meeting another family of four and claiming that because the Dad is meeting the Dad and the Mum is meeting the mum etc. that individually they are meeting the guidance and so it's OK when common sense should tell you that's not what it is about.
[Post edited 12 May 2020 13:59]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 14:01 - May 12 with 1776 viewsfactual_blue

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:56 - May 12 by gordon

I think it was Boris' response when the scientists tried to brief him about the virus.

To be fair, it's his response to anything other than looking at a picture of Sir Winston Churchill, or a copy of Winnie Ille Pooh...

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 14:06 - May 12 with 1769 viewsfactual_blue

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 13:35 - May 12 by BlueBadger

Common Sense would be saying 'yes' to an offer of help from the world's largest trading bloc on sourcing vital equipment when it comes.

Although it should be pointed out that common sense and logical thinking aren't always the same thing.

Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 14:31 - May 12 with 1733 viewsm14_blue

You’re right of course, but I’m guessing you haven’t read the twitter thread?

That’s pretty much exactly what he’s saying in the last point.

* apologies, replied to the wrong post.
[Post edited 12 May 2020 14:32]
Good twitter thread on the Government's comms strategy on 21:01 - May 12 with 1611 viewsBugs

For many thousands of years common sense told us the Sun went around the Earth.

Critical thinking and being able to change ones opinions with new data is far more important than common sense IMO.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024