Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Genuine question - is this the norm? 22:15 - May 12 with 3211 viewsnorth_stand77

I had cause to attend A&E the other night and was offered a mask on arrival, which I used.

In the waiting room were several other patients , only 2 wearing masks., trying to socially distance from each other which was not easy.
Over the next 3 hours I watched ambulance crew arrive, various doctors, nurses and other hospital staff come and go.
Only half were wearing masks and no other PPE which I was really surprised by and they were chatting to each other side by side.

I felt really concerned for them all as surely they must be putting themselves in danger?

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 22:22 - May 12 with 3162 viewsjeera

Disclaimer; I haven't got a clue.

But for conversational purposes only, I wonder if it's become such the norm for them that they just get on with things with a bit of 'what will be will be' attitude.

Maybe what with rushing about, the masks are really a discomfort.

Maybe there's a real shortage of equipment.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 22:35 - May 12 with 3124 viewsnorth_stand77

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 22:22 - May 12 by jeera

But for conversational purposes only, I wonder if it's become such the norm for them that they just get on with things with a bit of 'what will be will be' attitude.

I've probably been isolated for too long!

Re-emerging in to the real world, and especially in to an A&E department, was just taken aback as I was expecting it all to be very strict.

Maybe Bluebadger knows. As you say, could be that they've just got used to it.
Genuine question - is this the norm? on 22:38 - May 12 with 3121 viewsWeWereZombies

I am still not convinced by the use of masks outside of an operating theatre for a number of reasons.

The quality of mask seems to be very important, the N95 masks are a higher specification than many and designed to protect the wearer from breathing in pathogens. Note - they are to protect the person wearing the mask, although they may also stop a virus being carried away from the wearer that is not their primary purpose. Also note that the N95 is not proven to be fully effective against Covid-19.

The way people use masks can make it seem that they might as well not be bothering, slipping them on and off while talking, slipping them under their chin while eating, continually fiddling and adjusting them so that contaminated hands touch the the face much more often than they would do otherwise.

Masks can lull people into a false sense of security so that they relax the important practices of frequent hand washing and social distancing.

With the shortage of personal protective equipment masks are getting used for longer than the recommended lifespan, washed and reused because of those shortages and for cost considerations when the recommendation is to throw them away.

Inevitably there is now a whole Wikipedia page on the issue:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_masks_during_the_COVID-19_pandemic#N95_and_FF
[Post edited 12 May 2020 22:44]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 22:41 - May 12 with 3106 viewsjeera

Sorry, it would have been polite to have at least ask how you got on?

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 22:50 - May 12 with 3076 viewsnorth_stand77

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 22:41 - May 12 by jeera

Sorry, it would have been polite to have at least ask how you got on?

They were very efficient I thought and dealt with me quite quickly so just follow ups with GP thanks. Thankfully, I didn't have to stay in but probably would have done in normal times.

There were still 2 people abusing staff tho, both very drunk and very unpleasant.
Genuine question - is this the norm? on 22:55 - May 12 with 3060 viewsjeera

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 22:50 - May 12 by north_stand77

They were very efficient I thought and dealt with me quite quickly so just follow ups with GP thanks. Thankfully, I didn't have to stay in but probably would have done in normal times.

There were still 2 people abusing staff tho, both very drunk and very unpleasant.

Abusing staff in A&E. Sigh.

Do you know, I went to A&E last year and there was a crowd of youngsters in there together. Their friend has cut his hand or something.

Noisy and rude, the staff didn't know what to do with them.

No security guard. None. Apparently at that hospital, there never is.

How can staff be left all night with no security? I don't get it.

Glad you got on ok.
[Post edited 12 May 2020 22:57]

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 23:20 - May 12 with 3025 viewsnorth_stand77

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 22:55 - May 12 by jeera

Do you know, I went to A&E last year and there was a crowd of youngsters in there together. Their friend has cut his hand or something.

Glad you got on ok.

Actually a female security officer arrived after the event, but she was sporting a black eye!
Genuine question - is this the norm? on 06:57 - May 13 with 2866 viewsBlueBadger

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 22:22 - May 12 by jeera

Something from all those columns, essentially.

You've seen the photos of people with pressure sores after a 12 hour hit wearing N95 and FFP3s?

Yeah, that sh1t is real as f*ck.
[Post edited 13 May 2020 6:58]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 08:00 - May 13 with 2773 viewsGlasgowBlue

Glad you got on ok.

I was in A & E last year with my youngest daughter when a woman arrived in an ambulance with whom I assumed to be her partner.

When she was told the wait time would be approximately 2 hours the pair of them started effing and jeffing at the receptionist, calling her the c word amongst others, at the top of their voices and that they that they couldn’t be bothered waiting that long so we’re leaving.

The receptionist politely pointed out to them that if they were well enough to behave as they were and not bother wilting for treatment then they shouldn’t have wasted the ambulance time when it could have been deployed to a more serious call out.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 10:33 - May 14 with 2615 viewsWeWereZombies

A final, warning, quite sweary, word on face masks:

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 12:24 - May 14 with 2558 viewsElephantintheRoom

Depends where you were. Many hospitals are virtually Covid-free zones nowadays... and A&E are 'back to normal'. Hospitals are even treating sick people again - rather than being empty holding areas awaiting a tsunami that simply didn't occur in most places....argely because they managed to kill so many old folk in situ in the community by calling them 'bed blockers' and sending them home - or into homes untested.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 15:39 - May 14 with 2480 viewslongtimefan

I must admit I was somewhat shocked when I attended Hospital on the Monday the day before the full lockdown started. I was being examined just prior to a procedure and was asked to repeatedly cough. I lifted my hands to cover my mouth and was politely told to leave them where they were. I was in close proximity to three members of staff, all absent any face masks. I’d also had no vetting or tests for any Covid symptoms prior to this request. Couldn’t really believe it at the time and still find it puzzling.
Genuine question - is this the norm? on 15:43 - May 14 with 2477 viewslongtimefan

Glad you got on ok.

Ipswich hospital has its own mini police office I believe. Or certainly used to.
Genuine question - is this the norm? on 19:15 - May 14 with 2407 viewsDebsyAngel

I am currently feeling terrified as my Mum was taken in a couple of hours ago with blood pressure problems and palpitations. She has just phoned me, she is on a children's ward and in bed having tests. The staff joked that it was good to actually treat someone as people had been staying away in fear. I am so scared that she will get the virus, and then my Dad, who has lots of risky health problems - if she is coming home, he has to get her in his car.
Genuine question - is this the norm? on 21:22 - May 14 with 2378 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Paramedics have PPE to wear when attending Covid-positive or suspected Covid cases. but not for general use all the time.

EDIT: which presumably means that if you are in A&E and a paramedic brings someone in while wearing PPE, you ought to be even more cautious of their patient than the others.
[Post edited 14 May 2020 21:23]

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 22:00 - May 14 with 2344 viewsjeera

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 15:43 - May 14 by longtimefan

Ipswich hospital has its own mini police office I believe. Or certainly used to.

This was Bury.

And there used to be a police unit at the back of the hospital there too but apparently it is no longer.

That is one thing I could not understand; the removal of that.

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 22:33 - May 14 with 2326 viewsWeWereZombies

Genuine question - is this the norm? on 15:43 - May 14 by longtimefan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024