Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. 00:08 - May 13 with 2667 viewsGirthyguy

I wish you all the best. Stay safe.
Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 08:34 - May 13 with 2532 viewsmo_itfc

It's the only way to resume life and ensure the vulnerable don't suffer.

Until a vaccine is created.

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 08:38 - May 13 with 2517 viewsTractorWood

Will be thousands of pensioners flocking to garden centres today.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 08:47 - May 13 with 2493 viewsDanTheMan

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 08:38 - May 13 by TractorWood

I'd hope that most of that is outdoors which minimises some of the risk.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 08:53 - May 13 with 2478 viewsDanTheMan

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 08:34 - May 13 by mo_itfc

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 08:58 - May 13 with 2459 viewsbluelagos

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 08:34 - May 13 by mo_itfc

Not quite true though is it.

Germany, South Korea and New Zealand have had very different approaches with far fewer deaths and are now resuming life faster than we are.

Although we are where we are, so our options are limited.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 09:24 - May 13 with 2429 viewsBlueBadger

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 08:38 - May 13 by TractorWood

DEcided to brave the walk from Rodbridge to Sudbury on the old railway yesterday. Won't be doing that again. Hundreds of walkers, runners, cyclists all Exercising Their Common Sense, Staying Alert and not actually leaving 2M distance between themselves at any point.

Took me well over an hour to do a walk that normally takes about 45 minutes as I appeared to be the only person actually observing a sensible distance to everyone else and making way for people.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 09:33 - May 13 with 2398 viewsgtsb1966

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 09:24 - May 13 by BlueBadger

DEcided to brave the walk from Rodbridge to Sudbury on the old railway yesterday. Won't be doing that again. Hundreds of walkers, runners, cyclists all Exercising Their Common Sense, Staying Alert and not actually leaving 2M distance between themselves at any point.

Took me well over an hour to do a walk that normally takes about 45 minutes as I appeared to be the only person actually observing a sensible distance to everyone else and making way for people.

Really? I do that walk every other day and don't see any of that.
Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 10:03 - May 13 with 2343 viewsmo_itfc

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 08:58 - May 13 by bluelagos

Not quite true though is it.

Germany, South Korea and New Zealand have had very different approaches with far fewer deaths and are now resuming life faster than we are.

Although we are where we are, so our options are limited.

well let's say the UK get down to 0 cases like we had in 2019.

without herd immunity (from vaccinations or from exposure) it would only take one person to enter the country with covid-19 to start a second spike. Until we have herd immunity, covid-19 will always be a huge issue.

I'm certainly hopeful there is a vaccination soon! so we can get life back on track, I'm not sure forcing people back to work and allowing a second spike it the best idea, but it seems like the one we're doing...

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Login to get fewer ads

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 10:05 - May 13 with 2337 viewsChutney

Everyone's vulnerable.
Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 10:23 - May 13 with 2304 viewsmo_itfc

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 10:05 - May 13 by Chutney

Everyone's vulnerable.

not everyone got a letter telling them to shield...

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 10:39 - May 13 with 2278 viewsfactual_blue

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 09:24 - May 13 by BlueBadger

These would be people from Sudbury, I imagine.

If you start on the railway walk from Long Melford to Lavenham, there's a fascinating old wartime pillbox, with an unusual gun mounting on the top.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 11:58 - May 13 with 2167 viewsSacrebleu

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 10:03 - May 13 by mo_itfc

well let's say the UK get down to 0 cases like we had in 2019.

without herd immunity (from vaccinations or from exposure) it would only take one person to enter the country with covid-19 to start a second spike. Until we have herd immunity, covid-19 will always be a huge issue.

I'm certainly hopeful there is a vaccination soon! so we can get life back on track, I'm not sure forcing people back to work and allowing a second spike it the best idea, but it seems like the one we're doing...

18 years later and there still is no SARS vaccine apparently. Herd immunity might be the only way to resume normality. Let's hope not.
Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 12:11 - May 13 with 2137 viewsDanTheMan

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 11:58 - May 13 by Sacrebleu

18 years later and there still is no SARS vaccine apparently. Herd immunity might be the only way to resume normality. Let's hope not.

There wasn't one because the virus effectively disappeared, it was very different to what we're seeing now.

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 17:02 - May 13 with 2008 viewsWeWereZombies

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 12:11 - May 13 by DanTheMan

There wasn't one because the virus effectively disappeared, it was very different to what we're seeing now.

That's not quite the case, the research funding was stopped:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3051853/there-was-no-vaccine-sar

However, the NHS website states that there have been no cases of SARS reported anywhere in the World since 2004 (that is not to say they will not be in the future). MERS is a bit more ominous, no vaccine but the occasional case:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/middle-east-respiratory-syndrome-mers/

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 17:26 - May 13 with 1968 viewsDanTheMan

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 17:02 - May 13 by WeWereZombies

That's not quite the case, the research funding was stopped:

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3051853/there-was-no-vaccine-sar

However, the NHS website states that there have been no cases of SARS reported anywhere in the World since 2004 (that is not to say they will not be in the future). MERS is a bit more ominous, no vaccine but the occasional case:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/middle-east-respiratory-syndrome-mers/

It does say it was shelved because the epidemic was over.

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 17:41 - May 13 with 1942 viewsRadlett_blue

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 10:05 - May 13 by Chutney

Everyone's vulnerable.

Statistically, that is blatantly not the case. If you look at the Netherlands, for example as I presume you don't trust any data coming out of the UK, 97% of Cv deaths have been those aged over 60 and nearly 90% of deaths have been those aged over 70.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 18:03 - May 13 with 1918 viewsWeWereZombies

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 17:26 - May 13 by DanTheMan

It does say it was shelved because the epidemic was over.

There have been two SARS epidemics, one in 2002 and one in 2004, the virus is described as self-limiting and both of those epidemics are, as you say, over. But is it logical to stop researching a vaccine? SARS may yet reoccur. However I guess the Chinese government took the view that it was a danger that was past and there was no point expending resources that were needed elsewhere. I don't know if anyone outside China was, or still is, researching a SARS vaccine. But consider that if the research had continued then it may have given a crossover into research into the more recent MERS and Covid-19 virus vaccine potential.

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 18:19 - May 13 with 1897 viewsDanTheMan

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 18:03 - May 13 by WeWereZombies

There have been two SARS epidemics, one in 2002 and one in 2004, the virus is described as self-limiting and both of those epidemics are, as you say, over. But is it logical to stop researching a vaccine? SARS may yet reoccur. However I guess the Chinese government took the view that it was a danger that was past and there was no point expending resources that were needed elsewhere. I don't know if anyone outside China was, or still is, researching a SARS vaccine. But consider that if the research had continued then it may have given a crossover into research into the more recent MERS and Covid-19 virus vaccine potential.

If there's only so much money and high priorities then that's just the way things are.

I mean it's easy to look back now and say it should have been a high priority but even then, there's no guarantee a vaccine for that Coronavirus would be useful for the current one.

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 18:37 - May 13 with 1869 viewsWeWereZombies

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 18:19 - May 13 by DanTheMan

If there's only so much money and high priorities then that's just the way things are.

I mean it's easy to look back now and say it should have been a high priority but even then, there's no guarantee a vaccine for that Coronavirus would be useful for the current one.

But that is not what I am saying, the point that I am trying to get across is that by discontinuing funding you break up research teams and infrastructure that would otherwise be in place when a new virus is detected. And you keep the appetite for detection alive by having a team or teams dependent upon finding something to work on. Furthermore, it is not as if new strains of coronavirus (or other pathogens) were unexpected, a pandemic such as the one we are experiencing has been forecast for decades.

It is stitch in time saves nine territory, the outlay on continuing the SARS research would have been a drop in the ocean compared to the financial ramifications of Covid-19, even a week's jump on getting research up and running would have paid off.

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 20:15 - May 13 with 1808 viewsmonytowbray

Project Herd Immunity is about to get into full swing. on 17:41 - May 13 by Radlett_blue

Statistically, that is blatantly not the case. If you look at the Netherlands, for example as I presume you don't trust any data coming out of the UK, 97% of Cv deaths have been those aged over 60 and nearly 90% of deaths have been those aged over 70.

Most people who are don’t want to die thanks to the behaviour of those who aren’t though.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024