Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations 19:55 - May 13 with 1873 viewsPhilTWTD

This piece by our Southampton friends set me thinking, I don't remember too many clubs celebrating promotions, avoiding relegations, reaching Europe etc at Portman Road over the years. Obviously this game was a bit after the lord mayor's show for us at the time.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/news/52385
Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 19:58 - May 13 with 1833 viewsfooters

Portsmouth are bound to have celebrated something here, Phil?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 19:59 - May 13 with 1832 viewsgainsboroughblue

Oldham clinched promotion at Portman Road in 1991. Can't remember too much more.
We've been pretty good at sealing relegations over the years though.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 20:05 - May 13 with 1787 viewsPJH

Derby won 6-2 at PR on last day of 1975/76 season and qualified for UEFA Cup the following season-Leeds lost at QPR the same day.

I remember the game but until checking the Leeds result I was not sure that the result here clinched the Derby place.
Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 20:12 - May 13 with 1747 viewsmonytowbray

Would have been Leeds on our relegation season but LOL.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 20:22 - May 13 with 1718 viewsNthQldITFC

I seem to remember Millwall celebrating relegation here in 1996? with a spot of feng shui reorganisation of the furniture in the Cobbold Stand.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 20:31 - May 13 with 1688 viewsPhilTWTD

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 19:58 - May 13 by footers

Portsmouth are bound to have celebrated something here, Phil?

They did, sort of. They came here after sorting promotion the previous week and we beat them 3-0 in about 2008-ish.
Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 20:32 - May 13 with 1686 viewsFixed_It

I hate to bring it up, but I believe there is one Club who have TOTLAPR on their honours list. Along with participation.
[Post edited 13 May 2020 20:35]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 20:33 - May 13 with 1679 viewsgainsboroughblue

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 20:31 - May 13 by PhilTWTD

They did, sort of. They came here after sorting promotion the previous week and we beat them 3-0 in about 2008-ish.

2003. That was a great performance. Then we followed it up by surrendering at Rotherham on the Monday and knackering our play off chances.

Login to get fewer ads

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 21:19 - May 13 with 1591 viewsGarv

2003 you mean surely?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/2935981.stm

Superb game and one of the best in my lifetime, in terms of performance and atmosphere.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 21:27 - May 13 with 1570 viewsPhilTWTD

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 21:19 - May 13 by Garv

2003 you mean surely?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/2935981.stm

Superb game and one of the best in my lifetime, in terms of performance and atmosphere.

Ah yes, 2003. Think I was getting it mixed up with the cup games we had against them a few years later.
Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 21:30 - May 13 with 1566 viewsPhilTWTD

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 20:33 - May 13 by gainsboroughblue

2003. That was a great performance. Then we followed it up by surrendering at Rotherham on the Monday and knackering our play off chances.

We were robbed! Reuser was pulled back when through on goal and Shaun Barker should have been sent off.
Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 21:33 - May 13 with 1558 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 19:59 - May 13 by gainsboroughblue

Oldham clinched promotion at Portman Road in 1991. Can't remember too much more.
We've been pretty good at sealing relegations over the years though.

I remember watching it from the Churchmans terrace. Ian Marshall scored twice for them, the second down our end when he went around Forrest. They were in all red and had a lot of fine players like Rick Holden, Mike Milligan Richard Jobson, Earl Barrett, Nick Henry etc.

Kiwomya got one back late on at the North Stand end.

The Town fans gave them a good reception when the Oldham players did a lap of honour.

At that time I never thought it would be us 12 months later. We were at best average in Lyall's first season here.
[Post edited 13 May 2020 21:35]

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 21:34 - May 13 with 1546 viewsThe_Last_Baron

2003 that was. We hammered them. Reuser and Pablo were on fire.

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 22:38 - May 13 with 1434 viewsTrequartista

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 21:33 - May 13 by The_Last_Baron

I remember watching it from the Churchmans terrace. Ian Marshall scored twice for them, the second down our end when he went around Forrest. They were in all red and had a lot of fine players like Rick Holden, Mike Milligan Richard Jobson, Earl Barrett, Nick Henry etc.

Kiwomya got one back late on at the North Stand end.

The Town fans gave them a good reception when the Oldham players did a lap of honour.

At that time I never thought it would be us 12 months later. We were at best average in Lyall's first season here.
[Post edited 13 May 2020 21:35]

Joe Royle promoted and relegated at Portman Road, but neither with Ipswich.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 22:55 - May 13 with 1397 viewspatrickswell

Brighton (1992) and Walsall (2000) were both relegated at Portman Road. Brian Clough also had his final match as a manager at PR.

Sorry - saw you were looking for celebrations - all I can offer is that man Clough and his Nottingham Forest side played at Portman Road the game after they had clinched the title in 1978. Southampton confirmed a UEFA Cup place with a win at Portman Road in a match played between the two legs of the UEFA Cup Final In 1981.
[Post edited 13 May 2020 22:59]
Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 23:06 - May 13 with 1378 viewsgainsboroughblue

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 22:55 - May 13 by patrickswell

Brighton (1992) and Walsall (2000) were both relegated at Portman Road. Brian Clough also had his final match as a manager at PR.

Sorry - saw you were looking for celebrations - all I can offer is that man Clough and his Nottingham Forest side played at Portman Road the game after they had clinched the title in 1978. Southampton confirmed a UEFA Cup place with a win at Portman Road in a match played between the two legs of the UEFA Cup Final In 1981.
[Post edited 13 May 2020 22:59]

Did Man United confirm the title in 1994 at Portman Road? That was fairly late on in the season.

Was also the day Ayrton Senna died.

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 00:03 - May 14 with 1327 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 23:06 - May 13 by gainsboroughblue

Did Man United confirm the title in 1994 at Portman Road? That was fairly late on in the season.

Was also the day Ayrton Senna died.

1st May 1994. Tragic day for motorsport. Senna was a magician.

It didn't confirm the title for United but made them odds on to win it. Another Schmeichel howler let Kiwomya score. We were terrible for the second half of 93-94, as bad as I can remember until 2019-20.

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 01:01 - May 14 with 1290 viewsThe_Major

In 95, seem to recall a bit of a mutual knees up with the Everton fans who were days away from winning the Cup, but that was a weird one. We obviously were hyper rubbish, they hadn't won the Cup yet, and we went on the pitch and chanted nice things at each other.

In fact, and I stand to be corrected, didn't we do the same against Cov the week before in Richard Wright's debut? I've just got a memory of shaking hands with several of their fans who were convinced they were joining us for a stroll down Relegation Boulevard after we'd actually beaten them.
Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 01:40 - May 14 with 1272 viewsgainsboroughblue

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 01:01 - May 14 by The_Major

In 95, seem to recall a bit of a mutual knees up with the Everton fans who were days away from winning the Cup, but that was a weird one. We obviously were hyper rubbish, they hadn't won the Cup yet, and we went on the pitch and chanted nice things at each other.

In fact, and I stand to be corrected, didn't we do the same against Cov the week before in Richard Wright's debut? I've just got a memory of shaking hands with several of their fans who were convinced they were joining us for a stroll down Relegation Boulevard after we'd actually beaten them.

And the week before that at Filbert Street, ourselves and Leicester fans were exchanging songs about how we were worse than the other.

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 04:31 - May 14 with 1235 viewsallezlesbleus

Other clubs' Portman Road celebrations on 20:05 - May 13 by PJH

Derby won 6-2 at PR on last day of 1975/76 season and qualified for UEFA Cup the following season-Leeds lost at QPR the same day.

I remember the game but until checking the Leeds result I was not sure that the result here clinched the Derby place.

That Derby match is the 1st game I can remember going to, although the 1st result I can remember was us losing 1-0 on Boxing Day 1974 against Luton.

Rather bizarre that both matches were defeats, when we done so well in that era.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024