Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' 10:23 - May 15 with 3304 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52669441

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 10:46 - May 15 with 2000 viewsBlueBadger

It's 'middle class' despite the fact it'll be the most vulnerable families that will be placed most at risk.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:01 - May 15 with 1965 viewsgiant_stow

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 10:46 - May 15 by BlueBadger

It's 'middle class' despite the fact it'll be the most vulnerable families that will be placed most at risk.

I think the guy is worrying that the most vulnerable families and kids are already suffering and beyond being at risk...

I'm not sure I agree with him fully, but he does have a point that people with more are better able to copw with lockdown.

Edi: I managed to type the same paragraph twice (I should lay off the happy herb)
[Post edited 15 May 2020 11:06]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:04 - May 15 with 1957 viewsDarth_Koont

Surely, the only opposition (or promotion) is evidence-based?

As it stands, the evidence points to opening schools as one of the first measures in easing a lockdown.

Pronouns: He/Him

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:08 - May 15 with 1940 viewsgiant_stow

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:04 - May 15 by Darth_Koont

Surely, the only opposition (or promotion) is evidence-based?

As it stands, the evidence points to opening schools as one of the first measures in easing a lockdown.

Not sure I'm fully understanding you, but there seems to be growing union opposition to re-openning schools on the 1st June.

In one sense I don't blame teachers at all for that - they have their own families to think of and I'm very aware that I don;t have to put myself at risk like they might have to.

Edit: Making it optional, as he seems to suggest, may be the solution.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 11:12]

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:13 - May 15 with 1918 viewsDarth_Koont

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:08 - May 15 by giant_stow

Not sure I'm fully understanding you, but there seems to be growing union opposition to re-openning schools on the 1st June.

In one sense I don't blame teachers at all for that - they have their own families to think of and I'm very aware that I don;t have to put myself at risk like they might have to.

Not sure how any of that stacks up with adults going around, using public transport and working together.

The risk and (it seems) the spread are far greater for adults.

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:18 - May 15 with 1905 viewsgiant_stow

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:13 - May 15 by Darth_Koont

Not sure how any of that stacks up with adults going around, using public transport and working together.

The risk and (it seems) the spread are far greater for adults.

Fair enough mr - none of our present choices are easy and risk management on daya to day micro levels is the new normal for us all.

Its a weird one as on one hand he's the big bad corporate academy boss, but on the other, I think he does seem to genuinely be worrying about how this is affecting poorer people stuck in cramped conditions with little access to tech.

I guess what he's saying comes down to this: should teachers be thinking of themselves as akin to nurses right now and be placing themselves at risk for the greater good.

From me, that's a bit rich, but from him, maybe not.

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:19 - May 15 with 1904 viewsPlums

It’s a desperately sad indictment of modern Britain that the safest place for large numbers of kids is a virus ridden school during a pandemic. Those in charge of social policy really need to take a long hard look at themselves.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:21 - May 15 with 1896 viewsDanTheMan

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:18 - May 15 by giant_stow

Fair enough mr - none of our present choices are easy and risk management on daya to day micro levels is the new normal for us all.

Its a weird one as on one hand he's the big bad corporate academy boss, but on the other, I think he does seem to genuinely be worrying about how this is affecting poorer people stuck in cramped conditions with little access to tech.

I guess what he's saying comes down to this: should teachers be thinking of themselves as akin to nurses right now and be placing themselves at risk for the greater good.

"should teachers be thinking of themselves as akin to nurses right now and be placing themselves at risk for the greater good."

With a nurse, it's somewhat what you signed up for. You know you're going to be working in a place with lots of sick people and than epidemics are essentially a part of the job that might happen.

I don't think it's reasonable on the other hand to assume that of a teacher. And I imagine they will not be compensated for potentially putting themselves at risk.

This also goes for people like bus drivers who are continuing to their job in a dangerous time.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:21 - May 15 with 1894 viewsm14_blue

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:08 - May 15 by giant_stow

The unions are there to represent their members.

It does feel like teachers are being used as collateral damage in restarting the economy (schools are the only place where there is no expectation of social distancing).

I’m not necessarily saying it’s not the right thing to do but am I happy about my wife being put in that position?

No.
Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:22 - May 15 with 1893 viewsChutney

I have a great deal of sympathy for Teachers, many of whom will be concerned for their welfare and that of their pupils. How do you begin to enforce social distancing to a room of 6 year olds?

A lot of schools and demonstrated great agility to start teaching remotely and given the children some good resources. I don't think it compares to full time, face to face teaching but its better than nothing. I don't know why the government doesn't just confirm no schools reopening until September and be done with it. It will at least allow schools and families to plan appropriately. The uncertainty is more damaging.
Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:24 - May 15 with 1883 viewsDarth_Koont

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:18 - May 15 by giant_stow

Although, it's nothing like nurses who day to day risk contact with massive doses of infection from sick people.

I'm sure there's been a lot more risk to shop workers dealing with a constant stream of the general public of all ages and levels of sickness/transmission.

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:28 - May 15 with 1873 viewsgiant_stow

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:21 - May 15 by m14_blue

The unions are there to represent their members.

It does feel like teachers are being used as collateral damage in restarting the economy (schools are the only place where there is no expectation of social distancing).

I’m not necessarily saying it’s not the right thing to do but am I happy about my wife being put in that position?

No.

I can imagine you're not and I don;t want to make light of this in any way. A very complicated tough issue.

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:29 - May 15 with 1869 viewsEly_Blue

Just want to put this out there

Maybe good reason why the government and scientists think it’s ok to let the youngest kids go back to school

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:29 - May 15 with 1869 viewsChutney

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:24 - May 15 by Darth_Koont

Although, it's nothing like nurses who day to day risk contact with massive doses of infection from sick people.

I'm sure there's been a lot more risk to shop workers dealing with a constant stream of the general public of all ages and levels of sickness/transmission.

I think most teachers would agree, if you can enforce similar measures as those in retail that you've alluded to, such as limiting class sizes, ensure social distancing applies at all times, perspex screens between teachers and pupils etc. Then the environment would be safer to resume in. How that's practical with a class of 7 year olds is the issue. Do you have alternate years back in, with half class sizes? But then you're using all of your teacher resource and the remaining kids are at home getting less support than they are currently.
Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:30 - May 15 with 1860 viewsgiant_stow

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:21 - May 15 by DanTheMan

"should teachers be thinking of themselves as akin to nurses right now and be placing themselves at risk for the greater good."

With a nurse, it's somewhat what you signed up for. You know you're going to be working in a place with lots of sick people and than epidemics are essentially a part of the job that might happen.

I don't think it's reasonable on the other hand to assume that of a teacher. And I imagine they will not be compensated for potentially putting themselves at risk.

This also goes for people like bus drivers who are continuing to their job in a dangerous time.

Your point about Bus drivers does kind of back his point up a little though no?

Having made the comparison with teachers and nurses, it's not perfect and the level of risk wouldn;t be the same as being a nurse being around sick people all day. Especially if some of the stuidies about kids not being such spreaders as adults is true...
[Post edited 15 May 2020 11:31]

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:31 - May 15 with 1856 viewsm14_blue

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:24 - May 15 by Darth_Koont

All of whom (should) have been provided with PPE and/or have social distancing measures in place.

That won’t and can’t be the case for teachers.
Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:33 - May 15 with 1843 viewsgiant_stow

Sorry, I've doubled up on what you're saying there before I read it. It would be interesting to see how many shop workers have caught a dose - I'd hate to be working in one right now.

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:33 - May 15 with 1841 viewsDarth_Koont

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:29 - May 15 by Chutney

I think most teachers would agree, if you can enforce similar measures as those in retail that you've alluded to, such as limiting class sizes, ensure social distancing applies at all times, perspex screens between teachers and pupils etc. Then the environment would be safer to resume in. How that's practical with a class of 7 year olds is the issue. Do you have alternate years back in, with half class sizes? But then you're using all of your teacher resource and the remaining kids are at home getting less support than they are currently.

I'm not sure exactly the same measures are necessary. Schools look a completely different environment from a risk and transmission perspective.

But clearly good to have better practices wherever possible.

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:36 - May 15 with 1829 viewsDarth_Koont

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:31 - May 15 by m14_blue

All of whom (should) have been provided with PPE and/or have social distancing measures in place.

That won’t and can’t be the case for teachers.

Maybe.

But if teachers have more risk popping to the shops than working in a school then we need to incorporate that into our thinking. That's the way the evidence is leaning now anyway.

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:37 - May 15 with 1825 viewsm14_blue

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:30 - May 15 by giant_stow

Your point about Bus drivers does kind of back his point up a little though no?

Having made the comparison with teachers and nurses, it's not perfect and the level of risk wouldn;t be the same as being a nurse being around sick people all day. Especially if some of the stuidies about kids not being such spreaders as adults is true...
[Post edited 15 May 2020 11:31]

It needs to be pointed out here that teacher already are key workers and have worked throughout this crisis, including throughout the Easter holidays, staying in school to look after vulnerable children whilst simultaneously trying to provide relevant home learning for their usual class.

They have done so without complaint and the worries being voiced now are because they are being asked to work in a way that is patently unsafe, with muddled guidance and no communication from the government.
Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:39 - May 15 with 1815 viewsChutney

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:33 - May 15 by Darth_Koont

I'm not sure exactly the same measures are necessary. Schools look a completely different environment from a risk and transmission perspective.

But clearly good to have better practices wherever possible.

I think perhaps there's a stronger argument for getting secondary kids back and keeping primary off. They're too young to really understand and they have time on their side to make up for their lost education. This image from a French primary school with their social distancing measures is heartbreaking. This is their play time:

https://i0.wp.com/metro.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/PRI_151568920.jpg?quali
Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:44 - May 15 with 1800 viewsm14_blue

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:36 - May 15 by Darth_Koont

Maybe.

But if teachers have more risk popping to the shops than working in a school then we need to incorporate that into our thinking. That's the way the evidence is leaning now anyway.

Food shops being open is not a choice though, there isn’t any alternative.

I lean towards reopening schools being the right thing to do but any attempt to demonise teachers (not by you) or compare them unfavourably to other professions is disgraceful.

They have perfectly legitimate concerns and have, unsurprisingly, received very little practical help or support from the government.
Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:44 - May 15 with 1800 viewsgiant_stow

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:37 - May 15 by m14_blue

It needs to be pointed out here that teacher already are key workers and have worked throughout this crisis, including throughout the Easter holidays, staying in school to look after vulnerable children whilst simultaneously trying to provide relevant home learning for their usual class.

They have done so without complaint and the worries being voiced now are because they are being asked to work in a way that is patently unsafe, with muddled guidance and no communication from the government.

Yes it should't just be a case of back to school you go - you sort out the safety details.

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:45 - May 15 with 1792 viewsgiant_stow

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:39 - May 15 by Chutney

I think perhaps there's a stronger argument for getting secondary kids back and keeping primary off. They're too young to really understand and they have time on their side to make up for their lost education. This image from a French primary school with their social distancing measures is heartbreaking. This is their play time:

https://i0.wp.com/metro.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/PRI_151568920.jpg?quali

Yeah that image wsa tough

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:48 - May 15 with 1784 viewsartsbossbeard

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' on 11:29 - May 15 by Ely_Blue

Just want to put this out there

Maybe good reason why the government and scientists think it’s ok to let the youngest kids go back to school

Young children just don't understand social distancing, as anyone would expect - it'll be like shepherding cats.

Get Eton back up & running, have the HoP full to capacity and then get the kids back.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024