Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) 20:44 - May 15 with 1435 viewsmonytowbray

Curious to see how you felt about the DM headline today if you’ve seen it?

To me it feels like they’re framing unions as if they’re going against what teachers want. God forbid a union looks after the people working within the industry they represent so they don’t risk their lives.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 20:47 - May 15 with 1419 viewsSpruceMoose

If people start calling you a hero it's time to worry as you'll be next in the firing line.

People/professions you never hear being called heroes:

Investment Bankers
Politicians
Let's get a list going...
[Post edited 15 May 2020 20:48]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 20:54 - May 15 with 1392 viewstractordownsouth

My parents are both teachers and are furious. Ridiculous that the likes of Isabel Oakeshott are bashing out criticism of teachers and telling them to get in a full classroom of kids unable to social distance, whilst sat at home behind their keyboards.

65 people have died in the education sector from Covid, and fewer than 5% of the kids have been in. They must not be allowed to go back without the correct safety measures, and considering Hancock lied about the protection in care homes, I don't trust them to provide this.

It also allows the hard of thinking to furiously vent the same soundbites about teachers earning a fortune, finishing at 3pm and having long holidays - none of which are true. Which begs the question, if teachers genuinely could earn vast sums by doing little work, why is there a massive shortage in the education sector?

Same old Tory divide and rule. Utterly depressing.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 20:55]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 20:55 - May 15 with 1378 viewsjaykay

as the two nurses ,who are part of my family, said stop this sycophantic use of the term
"heroes" to justify putting peoples lives at risk

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 20:57 - May 15 with 1369 viewsOldsmoker

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 20:47 - May 15 by SpruceMoose

If people start calling you a hero it's time to worry as you'll be next in the firing line.

Investment Bankers
Politicians

Chris Grayling - what a hero.
Spent 89million on ferry contracts that weren't needed because he thought we would leave the EU. No-one told him there would be a one year transition period so it wasn't necessary but still, when the going gets tough the stupid spend (other peoples) money like it's going out of fashion.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 21:01 - May 15 with 1358 viewstractordownsouth

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 20:57 - May 15 by Oldsmoker

Chris Grayling - what a hero.
Spent 89million on ferry contracts that weren't needed because he thought we would leave the EU. No-one told him there would be a one year transition period so it wasn't necessary but still, when the going gets tough the stupid spend (other peoples) money like it's going out of fashion.

I think the figure was £50m. But even so, if my parents misspent so much as £50 of public money, they'd be out, yet Grayling kept his job. Madness.

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 21:08 - May 15 with 1330 viewsLeoMuff

Not a teacher but that is awful, they should stick to their guns until it is proven to be low risk for everyone and the wider public

I’m really not sure that much is to be gained from them going back before summer, surely September should be the goal and the picture should be much clearer.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 21:14 - May 15 with 1310 viewsFixed_It

I would comment but the swear filter won't let me say what I really think.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 21:15 - May 15 with 1310 viewsOldsmoker

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 21:01 - May 15 by tractordownsouth

I think the figure was £50m. But even so, if my parents misspent so much as £50 of public money, they'd be out, yet Grayling kept his job. Madness.

The ferry contracts were 89million if they'd done the job.
They did nothing as the contracts were cancelled and as you quite correctly pointed out it only(?) cost the taxpayer 50million.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Login to get fewer ads

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 21:32 - May 15 with 1288 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Utterly fuming.
And then feel bad for letting a vile sewer rag like the Mail affect me.
And then fuming again.
TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 23:56 - May 15 with 1204 viewsBlueBadger

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 20:47 - May 15 by SpruceMoose

Investment Bankers
Politicians

The other thing about being a 'hero' is that it somehow means that you have a 'higher' calling and thus, don't qualify for pay rises, improvemennts to your working conditions, after care if you're ill or injured at work.

See also: All the emergency services, anyone dischraged form eth armed forces due to injury..

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 23:59 - May 15 with 1197 viewsBlueBadger

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 21:32 - May 15 by DropCliffsNotBombs

Utterly fuming.
And then feel bad for letting a vile sewer rag like the Mail affect me.
And then fuming again.

Don't worry, we're living in strange days. I even got genuinely angry and upset at a TWTD troll last weekend.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 08:27 - May 16 with 1065 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 20:54 - May 15 by tractordownsouth

My parents are both teachers and are furious. Ridiculous that the likes of Isabel Oakeshott are bashing out criticism of teachers and telling them to get in a full classroom of kids unable to social distance, whilst sat at home behind their keyboards.

65 people have died in the education sector from Covid, and fewer than 5% of the kids have been in. They must not be allowed to go back without the correct safety measures, and considering Hancock lied about the protection in care homes, I don't trust them to provide this.

It also allows the hard of thinking to furiously vent the same soundbites about teachers earning a fortune, finishing at 3pm and having long holidays - none of which are true. Which begs the question, if teachers genuinely could earn vast sums by doing little work, why is there a massive shortage in the education sector?

Same old Tory divide and rule. Utterly depressing.
[Post edited 15 May 2020 20:55]

Don't be silly, many of them work til 4...."Run in to death...." Time for heroes!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 08:32 - May 16 with 1056 viewsBlueNomad

This Mail campaign is one of the most sickening they have come up with in a long while.
TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 08:33 - May 16 with 1055 viewstractordownsouth

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 08:32 - May 16 by BlueNomad

This Mail campaign is one of the most sickening they have come up with in a long while.

Nearly as bad as "Enemies of the People" and "Crush the Saboteurs"

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 08:40 - May 16 with 1044 viewsBlueNomad

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 08:33 - May 16 by tractordownsouth

Nearly as bad as "Enemies of the People" and "Crush the Saboteurs"

Goebells would be proud of this paper that has preserved its 1930’s principles.
TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 08:53 - May 16 with 1028 viewsMullet

The headline is so ridiculous as to be Brass Eye, but it will be swallowed whole by far too many people. The whole front page from it's picture to the linguistics as Jo Grady points out are fairly ironic. Given the Mail has blamed the profession for causing the death of a girl who was hit by a falling branch during strikes, as saboteurs against the government, as "teachers of hate" etc. it seems a little like listening to the Thursday 8pm lot who go and have a BBQ that weekend.

I've actually been asked and have agreed to be a union rep as I belong to the minority union in my school and we have had no rep for over 5 years. I don't believe in strikes in the way one union does them, because of the setting I work in. Staff have become really upset and concerned by it all turning this week. So I guess I am no longer all that independent.

The fact that the Mail are not mentioning private schools who have decided not to open until September for definite is very telling. Their hypocrisy is so blasé that it's a shame more don't see it.

I put some other thoughts on Ullaa's thread yesterday

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' by Mullet 15 May 2020 12:22
I appreciate I am probably becoming boring with my take on this and apologise for hammering the issue. But the article from the BBC had the headline changed and much of the content now (I wish I'd screenshotted it). The original early this morning lead with his quote, then had a sensible paragraph that was tainted by it etc. I can only assume they've bowed to several complaints.

The front of the Daily Mail is absolutely scandalous too and has a direct lie in it about unions acting against teachers' wishes and not engaging in what they euphemistically call "a common cause" from the safety of WFH behind their desks.

The Oasis academy chain operate all around my school. In areas of abject poverty in many cases. The allusion that we teachers don't understand the impact of poverty on the kids we teach is astounding, I hope he is disciplined if he does not get to clarify that he is talking about specific people, airing views he has heard.

What he says about the negative effects is entirely accurate, but that reflects on the nation prior to COVID-19 and what has been allowed to happen under austerity, and the social regressions which mean so many children suffer.

There is no evidence other than anecdotal evidence to suggest any teacher, let alone all of us are sat at home with our feet up etc. But this keeps being pushed as a media narrative and needs to be challenged. Ironically in places where people are sat arguing about it whilst on furlough/WFH.

Given the stereotypes around middle class parents being pushy/engaged with education this seems a rather messy and combative statement to make. If there is mounting evidence people aren't concerned about safety it should be easy to prove surely?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 09:13 - May 16 with 1001 viewsBlueNomad

TWTTeachers (Mullet I know of, anyone else?) on 08:53 - May 16 by Mullet

The headline is so ridiculous as to be Brass Eye, but it will be swallowed whole by far too many people. The whole front page from it's picture to the linguistics as Jo Grady points out are fairly ironic. Given the Mail has blamed the profession for causing the death of a girl who was hit by a falling branch during strikes, as saboteurs against the government, as "teachers of hate" etc. it seems a little like listening to the Thursday 8pm lot who go and have a BBQ that weekend.

I've actually been asked and have agreed to be a union rep as I belong to the minority union in my school and we have had no rep for over 5 years. I don't believe in strikes in the way one union does them, because of the setting I work in. Staff have become really upset and concerned by it all turning this week. So I guess I am no longer all that independent.

The fact that the Mail are not mentioning private schools who have decided not to open until September for definite is very telling. Their hypocrisy is so blasé that it's a shame more don't see it.

I put some other thoughts on Ullaa's thread yesterday

Opposition to schools reopening is 'rather middle class' by Mullet 15 May 2020 12:22
I appreciate I am probably becoming boring with my take on this and apologise for hammering the issue. But the article from the BBC had the headline changed and much of the content now (I wish I'd screenshotted it). The original early this morning lead with his quote, then had a sensible paragraph that was tainted by it etc. I can only assume they've bowed to several complaints.

The front of the Daily Mail is absolutely scandalous too and has a direct lie in it about unions acting against teachers' wishes and not engaging in what they euphemistically call "a common cause" from the safety of WFH behind their desks.

The Oasis academy chain operate all around my school. In areas of abject poverty in many cases. The allusion that we teachers don't understand the impact of poverty on the kids we teach is astounding, I hope he is disciplined if he does not get to clarify that he is talking about specific people, airing views he has heard.

What he says about the negative effects is entirely accurate, but that reflects on the nation prior to COVID-19 and what has been allowed to happen under austerity, and the social regressions which mean so many children suffer.

There is no evidence other than anecdotal evidence to suggest any teacher, let alone all of us are sat at home with our feet up etc. But this keeps being pushed as a media narrative and needs to be challenged. Ironically in places where people are sat arguing about it whilst on furlough/WFH.

Given the stereotypes around middle class parents being pushy/engaged with education this seems a rather messy and combative statement to make. If there is mounting evidence people aren't concerned about safety it should be easy to prove surely?

Well done on becoming union rep. I did it for several years in my school and am glad of the experience.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024