Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Team to finish the season.... 09:20 - May 16 with 1521 viewsitfcjoe

....I'd go back to basics as to what was working at the start of the season.

------------------------------Holy----------------------------
KVY-----------Chambers---------Woolfenden-----Kenlock
Edwards/Judge-----Skuse------Downes---------Garbutt
------------------------Jackson-----Norwood-----------------

Subs
Norris
Wilson
Nolan
Huws
Lankester
Sears
Keane

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Team to finish the season.... on 09:34 - May 16 with 1193 viewsjudespiveyg

I thought our most convincing performances were during that short spell in January where we used wing backs so for me:
Holy
KVY
Chambers
Wilson
Wolf
Garbutt?? (Does he go back to Everton at some point. Kenlock in if so.
Downes
Dozzell
Dobra
Norwood
Jackson

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

Team to finish the season.... on 09:35 - May 16 with 1191 viewsHerbivore

Probably Huws for Skuse for me. I'd be tempted to give Lankester or Dobra a run on the right as Judge is hopeless and Edwards not much better. I think we need to have Garbutt on the left higher up the pitch, but it's a touch depressing that by default that means we have to play Kenlock. I'd almost be tempted to move KVY over and play Donacien at right back, I think he's more reliable than Kenlock. My feeling is we won't see this season resume though and hopefully we might then bring in a proper left back.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Team to finish the season.... on 09:37 - May 16 with 1187 viewsHerbivore

Team to finish the season.... on 09:34 - May 16 by judespiveyg

I thought our most convincing performances were during that short spell in January where we used wing backs so for me:
Holy
KVY
Chambers
Wilson
Wolf
Garbutt?? (Does he go back to Everton at some point. Kenlock in if so.
Downes
Dozzell
Dobra
Norwood
Jackson

Downes, Dozzell and Dobra as a midfield three is way too lightweight for this level. Our most convincing run this season was at the start playing 4-4-2. Our record playing with wing backs, a few games aside, has been pretty poor.

Team to finish the season.... on 09:39 - May 16 with 1174 viewsBlueBadger

Team to finish the season.... on 09:37 - May 16 by Herbivore

Downes, Dozzell and Dobra as a midfield three is way too lightweight for this level. Our most convincing run this season was at the start playing 4-4-2. Our record playing with wing backs, a few games aside, has been pretty poor.

I think the main problem here is the systems, formations and personnel have changed so much, we can't really tell what's for the best.

Almost as if our manager is clueless.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Team to finish the season.... on 09:41 - May 16 with 1166 viewsGuthrum

Tho that would be improved by swapping Dozzell or Dobra for Huws.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Team to finish the season.... on 09:42 - May 16 with 1165 viewsGuthrum

What about Lankester in place of Judge/Edwards on the right?

Team to finish the season.... on 09:43 - May 16 with 1164 viewsHerbivore

Team to finish the season.... on 09:39 - May 16 by BlueBadger

I think the main problem here is the systems, formations and personnel have changed so much, we can't really tell what's for the best.

Almost as if our manager is clueless.

Indeed. Truth is, with most of the season over, nobody really knows what our best system or line up is. That's pretty criminal. At this point most sides' fans will be quibbling over whether one or two players should start over one or two others, but they'll largely know what system and most of the line up. We've not even nailed down a first choice goalie FFS.

Team to finish the season.... on 09:43 - May 16 with 1159 viewsjudespiveyg

Obviously the early season run was the best but I never felt truly convinced by our performances. There were about three games all season where I was truly convinced for a whole ninety minutes and they were all with wing backs.
The midfield may be a bit lightweight but I think two defensive midfielders is always too many and Downes is better there than Skuse. I haven't seen Nolan or Huws have a single good game this season, Judge is as 'lightweight' as Dobra but without any upsides. So my three midfielders are essentially by default.

Login to get fewer ads

Team to finish the season.... on 09:45 - May 16 with 1158 viewsitfcjoe

Team to finish the season.... on 09:43 - May 16 by Herbivore

Indeed. Truth is, with most of the season over, nobody really knows what our best system or line up is. That's pretty criminal. At this point most sides' fans will be quibbling over whether one or two players should start over one or two others, but they'll largely know what system and most of the line up. We've not even nailed down a first choice goalie FFS.

That's partly why I've suggested going back to a basic 442. Getting players in positions where they can do the most impact from a solid base

It can drift into a 352 as well with Kenlock shifting into a left sided CB, and Judge/Dobra/whoever coming in from the right into a more central position

Team to finish the season.... on 09:45 - May 16 with 1150 viewsBlueBadger

Team to finish the season.... on 09:43 - May 16 by Herbivore

But he DID get Brexit done. And Jeremy Corbyn.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Team to finish the season.... on 09:47 - May 16 with 1148 viewsBasuco

I would also like to see Danny Rowe in the mix as well (or is he injured?) I remember him causing massive problems running at defenders early on.
Team to finish the season.... on 09:49 - May 16 with 1133 viewsGuthrum

Team to finish the season.... on 09:45 - May 16 by itfcjoe

That's partly why I've suggested going back to a basic 442. Getting players in positions where they can do the most impact from a solid base

It can drift into a 352 as well with Kenlock shifting into a left sided CB, and Judge/Dobra/whoever coming in from the right into a more central position

There's a lot to be said for basic solidity, rather than trying to be too funky.

Team to finish the season.... on 09:51 - May 16 with 1125 viewsHerbivore

Team to finish the season.... on 09:43 - May 16 by judespiveyg

Obviously the early season run was the best but I never felt truly convinced by our performances. There were about three games all season where I was truly convinced for a whole ninety minutes and they were all with wing backs.
The midfield may be a bit lightweight but I think two defensive midfielders is always too many and Downes is better there than Skuse. I haven't seen Nolan or Huws have a single good game this season, Judge is as 'lightweight' as Dobra but without any upsides. So my three midfielders are essentially by default.

We were convincing in beating Tranmere and Shrewsbury early in the season playing 4-4-2. In fact in the Tranmere game we were convincing because we switched to 4-4-2 having looked poor playing with wing backs for most of the first half.

I'm not sure how you haven't seen Huws have a good game. In that brief run where we looked half competent in January, Huws was playing well. The Accrington game in particular he was very good, also away at Wycombe and Oxford. That midfield is definitely far too lightweight, they'd get bullied out of the game.

Team to finish the season.... on 10:07 - May 16 with 1085 viewsdavblue

Team to finish the season.... on 09:45 - May 16 by itfcjoe

It will depend on a what Lambert watches in the bundesliga over the next few weeks, with how we will play.
Team to finish the season.... on 10:16 - May 16 with 1061 viewsjudespiveyg

Team to finish the season.... on 09:51 - May 16 by Herbivore

We were convincing in beating Tranmere and Shrewsbury early in the season playing 4-4-2. In fact in the Tranmere game we were convincing because we switched to 4-4-2 having looked poor playing with wing backs for most of the first half.

I'm not sure how you haven't seen Huws have a good game. In that brief run where we looked half competent in January, Huws was playing well. The Accrington game in particular he was very good, also away at Wycombe and Oxford. That midfield is definitely far too lightweight, they'd get bullied out of the game.

Huws hasn't looked fit, certainly not to 2017 level. Dozzell hasn't been given a run in the team in his four years here, so maybe if he was given a run he could strengthen up. Dobra looks like he has bags of potential, a proper number 10 we haven't had for years. I really can't see us going up so I see more value in giving minutes to players who have the potential to be far better than Skuse, Huws and Judge. Also my team has more entertainment value than a 442 with no creative midfielders.

Team to finish the season.... on 10:19 - May 16 with 1055 viewsHerbivore

Team to finish the season.... on 10:16 - May 16 by judespiveyg

Huws hasn't looked fit, certainly not to 2017 level. Dozzell hasn't been given a run in the team in his four years here, so maybe if he was given a run he could strengthen up. Dobra looks like he has bags of potential, a proper number 10 we haven't had for years. I really can't see us going up so I see more value in giving minutes to players who have the potential to be far better than Skuse, Huws and Judge. Also my team has more entertainment value than a 442 with no creative midfielders.

Entertainment value is all well and good but you need to have the ball first. I would be happy to give Dozzell a run but alongside Downes and Dobra it's utterly pointless. Give him a run alongside Downes and Huws and he has more of a chance to get on the ball and show what he can do. Same goes for Dobra, he needs a proper platform to enable him to show what he can do and Dozzell and Downes won't offer that. They got utterly overrun in the Lincoln game where we shipped five.

Team to finish the season.... on 10:20 - May 16 with 1055 viewspointofblue

Huws has shown far more potential in his appearances for Town than Dozzell has post injury. Fan support for the latter is only in place due to the skill he showed early on combined with his surname but he hasn’t done nearly enough since.

I think we need to go back to basics with the line up in a 4-4-2 and stick to it.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Team to finish the season.... on 10:23 - May 16 with 1050 viewsitfcjoe

But we are initially talking about the trying to win every game scenario and go up, not the giving players games after we are out of contention which I agree would see others getting opportunities

Team to finish the season.... on 10:26 - May 16 with 1043 viewsjudespiveyg

Team to finish the season.... on 10:20 - May 16 by pointofblue

Huws has shown far more potential in his appearances for Town than Dozzell has post injury. Fan support for the latter is only in place due to the skill he showed early on combined with his surname but he hasn’t done nearly enough since.

I think we need to go back to basics with the line up in a 4-4-2 and stick to it.

When I see Huws split an entire defense with a single pass I'll agree with you.

Team to finish the season.... on 10:29 - May 16 with 1029 viewsGuthrum

Team to finish the season.... on 10:26 - May 16 by judespiveyg

But how often does Dozzell do that? And, unlike Huws, he's not a runner with the ball - something we need more of.

Team to finish the season.... on 10:30 - May 16 with 1024 viewsjudespiveyg

Team to finish the season.... on 10:19 - May 16 by Herbivore

Entertainment value is all well and good but you need to have the ball first. I would be happy to give Dozzell a run but alongside Downes and Dobra it's utterly pointless. Give him a run alongside Downes and Huws and he has more of a chance to get on the ball and show what he can do. Same goes for Dobra, he needs a proper platform to enable him to show what he can do and Dozzell and Downes won't offer that. They got utterly overrun in the Lincoln game where we shipped five.

I can see where you're coming from, and Huws would certainly be the first replacement to that midfield. (Unlike Nolan and Judge I can see a point in him when he plays) Maybe I overrate Dobra and Dozzell but they look real prospects to me and in what are essentially dead rubbers, I'd be looking to get them in the team where possible, even if the team loses some balance. I appreciate that this might not be that great in the short term.

Team to finish the season.... on 10:32 - May 16 with 1017 viewsHerbivore

Team to finish the season.... on 10:26 - May 16 by judespiveyg

Huws has two assists this season to Dozzell's zero.

Team to finish the season.... on 10:34 - May 16 with 1013 viewsHerbivore

Team to finish the season.... on 10:30 - May 16 by judespiveyg

I can see where you're coming from, and Huws would certainly be the first replacement to that midfield. (Unlike Nolan and Judge I can see a point in him when he plays) Maybe I overrate Dobra and Dozzell but they look real prospects to me and in what are essentially dead rubbers, I'd be looking to get them in the team where possible, even if the team loses some balance. I appreciate that this might not be that great in the short term.

It's not ideal for the long term either. If we want them to develop they need game time in a side that gives them a platform to get on the ball and show what they can do. Throwing them both into a side where we simply don't have the steel to give them a platform doesn't do that. Happy to give one or the other a run, at this stage probably start Dozzer and give Dobra lots of minutes from the bench, but starting them both does nobody any favours.

Team to finish the season.... on 10:47 - May 16 with 999 viewsChrisd

Team to finish the season.... on 10:34 - May 16 by Herbivore

It's not ideal for the long term either. If we want them to develop they need game time in a side that gives them a platform to get on the ball and show what they can do. Throwing them both into a side where we simply don't have the steel to give them a platform doesn't do that. Happy to give one or the other a run, at this stage probably start Dozzer and give Dobra lots of minutes from the bench, but starting them both does nobody any favours.

I’d start Dobra and Lankester on either flank in a 4-4-2. The others have had their chance, give the youngsters a go. Let’s be honest, our chances of a top 6 finish are soooo remote. Get some young, hungry players in, let’s see what they can do in those games.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Team to finish the season.... on 13:21 - May 16 with 871 viewsGlasgowBlue

------------------------------Holy----------------------------
--------Chambers----Woolfenden------Wilson-------
KVY-------------------------------------------------Garbutt
----------Downes--------Skuse--------Nolan-------------
---------------------Jackson-----Norwood-----------------

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024