Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Moany virus thread 10:42 - May 16 with 3310 viewsvapour_trail

"Right from the start we've tried to throw a protective ring around our care homes. We set out our first advice in February... we've made sure care homes have the resources they need" says Health Secretary, Matt Hancock.

This is an outright lie.

Residents have been returned to their care homes untested and unwell to ease pressure on hospitals. Care homes have had the virus delivered to their door by the approach Hancock and his colleagues have taken and thousands have been killed as a result.

He should be held to account for this BS but that of course won’t happen.

The lying cnt.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Moany virus thread on 15:49 - May 16 with 839 viewsm14_blue

Moany virus thread on 15:43 - May 16 by Ely_Blue

Whatever you wish it to be

You accept that the health secretary has lied to the public during a national crisis which has claimed the lives of over 30,000 of our citizens, including many of the most vulnerable.

That’s pretty scandalous wouldn’t you say?

What do you think Boris’s reaction will be? Presumably Hancock will be gone by tomorrow. I can’t imagine Boris tolerating dishonesty can you?
Moany virus thread on 19:49 - May 16 with 787 viewsGaryCooper

Moany virus thread on 15:02 - May 16 by linhdi

I can only talk from my own experience. My mum is in a well-run care home oop north. There are 100 residents, roughly half are dementia, rest are mostly on short life span (cancer etc). The home is part of a small regional group.

Management have kept me updated regularly as to what they are doing etc.

Early on, a resident was discharged back to the home from a major regional hospital with cough and fever (wasn't in hospital for that...). No Covid test had been carried out. Home isolated him in his room and scratched around for some basic PPE, also kept other residents on that floor in their rooms (luckily this wasn't the dementia floor).

All visitors were banned as early as 11th March. Two weeks later, they brought in a shift scheme, whereby all staff stay on site for a week at a time, again to minimise external contacts. Even GPs do appointments online (Skype, I guess).

So far, they have no confirmed cases. They are currently happy with the PPE they were able to get hold of (but only about 3 weeks ago).

They would like to test residents and, especially, carers. To date, they have been refused tests for any resident, even those with cough / cold type symptoms. They have also been refused tests for any asymptomatic carers. Those with symptoms have been required to attend a test centre around 40 miles away, which isn't even possible for many.

Even if they get unlucky in the future, I can only praise the management and carers. But I am utterly, totally disgusted by the actions and the lies of our government when it comes to the care home sector.

I have a letter signed by Sir Simon Stevens NHS chief executive and Amanda Pritchard NHS chief operating officer.

The letter clearly states that It was NHS policy to clear the hospitals and send the elderly home without testing.

The government are lying and covering up a NHS decision.
Moany virus thread on 19:53 - May 16 with 777 viewsbluelagos

Moany virus thread on 19:49 - May 16 by GaryCooper

I have a letter signed by Sir Simon Stevens NHS chief executive and Amanda Pritchard NHS chief operating officer.

The letter clearly states that It was NHS policy to clear the hospitals and send the elderly home without testing.

Can I suggest you tweet that to the C4news team. It may well be of interest to them.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Moany virus thread on 20:16 - May 16 with 761 viewsm14_blue

Moany virus thread on 19:49 - May 16 by GaryCooper

“The government are lying.”

You got something right.
Moany virus thread on 21:24 - May 16 with 741 viewsjeera

Poster on here, Gazzer, put up a link last week to a Mail article that made some uncomfortable reading.

Stories of care homes being forced to take back residents completely against their will in some cases, argued with and coerced.

People pay a lot of money to be looked after in their last years and are often treated like sh!t. It's no way to end a long, meaningful life, being held captive waiting for this disease to find you down the corridors and into your room; your last personal space.

They have a right to be protected, and that includes from staff too, some of whom have been more blase than others.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Moany virus thread on 00:29 - May 17 with 680 viewsreusersfreekicks

Moany virus thread on 10:56 - May 16 by Ely_Blue

Shame those care homes (of which I believe 85% are private not government owned and run) didn’t flag this and spend some of the vast sums that they charge on doing their own testing or protecting their residents better!

Let’s face it the care system in the private sector must be awash with money given how much they charge (and let’s face it nobody takes a business on from the govt if they can’t make a serious profit).

They seem happy to take people’s money to care for elderly relatives when the going is good but when the sh1t has hit the fan they are happy to let the govt take the flak

Rubbish basically.
Moany virus thread on 11:42 - May 17 with 625 viewsElephantintheRoom

The reality is a tad worse than that. Most care homes relying on regular food deliveries were instantly unable to get regular deliveries - and utterly reliant on volunteers to go shopping - and it took weeks for the supermarkets to sort that out. Ditto prescriptions - and rather more scandalously... medical care of any sort other than a video link.

Care home residents and elderly marooned in care in the community have been denied hospital treatment and returned to care homes without testing... which is even worse than the callous emptying of hospitals of 'bed blockers' .... many of whom were sent home to utterly swamp community care which cannot cope at the best of times.... and have had their funding cut during this crisis.

And in time we'll see that cruelly denying urgent health care to the people who overfill hospitals in normal times will kill tens of thousands too.

Now we have the ludicrous situation of idiots pontificating about a fictional R number in total denial that things are a tad different ooop north to what is happening in London.

If a deranged Nazi or Serbian war lord had made decisions like this which cleansed tens of thousands of innocent citizens - a bit of concern might be in order... but the latest figures suggest 39% are very satisfied with the government response.... and this in a country where only 44% of the electorate voted for them in the first place!

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Moany virus thread on 12:53 - May 17 with 603 viewsSwansea_Blue

Moany virus thread on 11:19 - May 16 by lowhouseblue

the reality is that care homes are impossible to protect. in 2017/18 70% of all flu outbreaks (i.e. clusters of cases) were in care homes. i can't find the data on flu deaths but they're likely to be similarly concentrated in care homes. the residents are vulnerable (many have other serious illness and very very sadly on average people spend a relatively short time (40 weeks?)in a care home before some pre-existing condition proves fatal), deaths with an infection of some sort in the final stages are common; for those with illnesses like dementia and alzyheimer's social distancing and strict hygiene are impossible - the nature of the care provided is inevitably close up and messy; and staff often rely on public transport, and are more likely to work part-time with frequent shift changes etc, so isolating the care home isn't practical.

it's a tragedy, but any infectious outbreak from winter vomiting to flu to food poisoning is going to have a disproportionate incidence in settings like care homes.

Of course they're not impossible to protect, as proven by the ones that have protected their residents and other countries that have managed it.

It's a complex situation that requires unusual measures and a close dialogue and understanding between the authorities and the care home providers. But it's certainly not impossible. Flu isn't a good analogy because we don't impose emergency health care measures to lockdown against flu.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Moany virus thread on 12:56 - May 17 with 602 viewsmonytowbray

Moany virus thread on 10:59 - May 16 by Herbivore

You've gone full eejit lately. I think callis has broken you.

It really wasn’t hard, the bloke has a major temper problem.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Moany virus thread on 13:32 - May 17 with 594 viewslightuser

Moany virus thread on 11:19 - May 16 by lowhouseblue

the reality is that care homes are impossible to protect. in 2017/18 70% of all flu outbreaks (i.e. clusters of cases) were in care homes. i can't find the data on flu deaths but they're likely to be similarly concentrated in care homes. the residents are vulnerable (many have other serious illness and very very sadly on average people spend a relatively short time (40 weeks?)in a care home before some pre-existing condition proves fatal), deaths with an infection of some sort in the final stages are common; for those with illnesses like dementia and alzyheimer's social distancing and strict hygiene are impossible - the nature of the care provided is inevitably close up and messy; and staff often rely on public transport, and are more likely to work part-time with frequent shift changes etc, so isolating the care home isn't practical.

it's a tragedy, but any infectious outbreak from winter vomiting to flu to food poisoning is going to have a disproportionate incidence in settings like care homes.

The reality is that you may as well call "care homes", "hospices"...end of life care for the infirm.

Also, unfortunately, many of our elderly are treated terribily in them. Not through government (in)action, but because too many people working in them are utter uncaring c**ts (the work attracts abusers to those people least able to help themselves and more importantly, complain). But this is obviously a separate, sad issue of some peoples (in)human nature and how to keep them away from the vulnerable.
Moany virus thread on 15:32 - May 17 with 576 viewsm14_blue

Moany virus thread on 13:32 - May 17 by lightuser

The reality is that you may as well call "care homes", "hospices"...end of life care for the infirm.

Also, unfortunately, many of our elderly are treated terribily in them. Not through government (in)action, but because too many people working in them are utter uncaring c**ts (the work attracts abusers to those people least able to help themselves and more importantly, complain). But this is obviously a separate, sad issue of some peoples (in)human nature and how to keep them away from the vulnerable.

I think the people you talk about in your second paragraph are an incredibly small minority of care workers.

And your post will probably be very offensive to many good people who look after some of the most vulnerable in our society.
Moany virus thread on 15:51 - May 17 with 568 viewsLeaky

Moany virus thread on 10:56 - May 16 by Ely_Blue

Shame those care homes (of which I believe 85% are private not government owned and run) didn’t flag this and spend some of the vast sums that they charge on doing their own testing or protecting their residents better!

Let’s face it the care system in the private sector must be awash with money given how much they charge (and let’s face it nobody takes a business on from the govt if they can’t make a serious profit).

They seem happy to take people’s money to care for elderly relatives when the going is good but when the sh1t has hit the fan they are happy to let the govt take the flak

I agree my partner works in a private care home. The owner's of said care home have £1m pound house & a Villa in Portugal. To be fare they have no shortages of PPE and are Covid free. However they under pressure from local healthcare trusts to take residents from hospital. They do so if they test negative, they are then quarantined for 2 weeks & tested again. If a test were to prove positive the resident wound be returned to hospital, where I assume the whole process would restart until they are found a home.
Moany virus thread on 16:10 - May 17 with 560 viewsjeera

Moany virus thread on 15:32 - May 17 by m14_blue

I think the people you talk about in your second paragraph are an incredibly small minority of care workers.

And your post will probably be very offensive to many good people who look after some of the most vulnerable in our society.

You are right in what you say and my post a couple up should have had some caveat really.

It is only fair to recognise the wonderful job that's done by most people in the care industry.

I'm concerned for an aunt atm who is trapped in her room since C-19 has found its way in and killed a few of the residents so am a bit edgy on this.

We have seen cases of people having parties through 'lockdown', with a forum member posting one that included the home of a care worker neighbour of theirs, and that sort of thing sticks in the mind.

I also know we are all familiar with horror stories that have come via whistleblowers within the care home set up and know that some places are far removed from the types of environment we would want our own mums in.

One springs to mind for me in Bury where a young girl was sacked for speaking up against the treatment of certain residents. The things she told me were shocking.

I have witnessed one or 2 things in some places that I have been unhappy about too, but those were management issues and not the staff on the ground, so to speak.

I don't understand why so many of these places have seemingly gone unregulated for so many years. Some do seem be a law unto themselves.

That is no reflection on the majority of staff, many of whom have been afraid to speak up in fear of losing their jobs and who can only make subtle differences in their day to day activities.
[Post edited 17 May 2020 16:12]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Moany virus thread on 16:33 - May 17 with 542 viewsLeaky

Moany virus thread on 13:14 - May 16 by BlueBadger

So, you shouldn't just turf already vulnerable people out of hospital willy-nilly with no testing and inadequate protective equipment in place into these closed environments full of vulnerable people then?
[Post edited 16 May 2020 13:38]

In my area it was the NHS that were pushing the elderly out of hospital into care homes.
Moany virus thread on 20:19 - May 17 with 519 viewsDubtractor

Moany virus thread on 15:51 - May 17 by Leaky

I agree my partner works in a private care home. The owner's of said care home have £1m pound house & a Villa in Portugal. To be fare they have no shortages of PPE and are Covid free. However they under pressure from local healthcare trusts to take residents from hospital. They do so if they test negative, they are then quarantined for 2 weeks & tested again. If a test were to prove positive the resident wound be returned to hospital, where I assume the whole process would restart until they are found a home.

"I agree with you"

"here's an example that utterly contradicts that point"

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024