Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Elite players struggling is very similar to veterans 13:04 - May 16 with 1156 viewshampstead_blue

When you look at both they are incredibly similar.

Both live in bubbles with much changed rules and behaviours from civvies.
Forget money.
When they are called upon to perform, bang they are there.
Constant training and pressure to deliver - for different reasons I know but so much it as stake when they have to be on it.

The careers are similar length
You can be finished in a split second - happened to me in Bosnia.
Spat out and left alone in a strange world with people who don't understand you and you sure as hell don't know what they are talking about!

Many veterans end up drunk, under a bridge, or at worse a statistic.

PFA, Gordon Taylor, you know the old man getting paid a sick amount, should do so much more.

Former footballers need a rehab centre like we've got in the military so they can be among kin. Help for Hero's has Tedworth House, an amazing facility where you can go for courses, rehab, love, and kinship.

Footballers and elite athletes need the same.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Elite players struggling is very similar to veterans on 13:10 - May 16 with 1133 viewsBlue12345

I understand the point you are trying to make but I respectfully disagree as I don’t think you can forget money in this instance. Elite footballers are extremely privileged through their work and are paid very well. Money alone does not help problems but it certainly opens up windows and resources to seek any help that’s required. Men and women in the forces do not have that option themselves in most cases.
Elite players struggling is very similar to veterans on 13:52 - May 16 with 1065 viewsitfcjoe

I think it's the being told what to do, and where to be for 90% of your life - and being surrounded by mates for it as well.

So you come out and you lose your structure, your mates and the environment in one hit - and it can't be recreated.

You now have to work out how to make a Dr appointment rather than just phone the club or the army, and manage your transport and your logistics.

I agree they are similar.

And most footballers don't walk away with enough money to retire on, and most burn through it chasing highs

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Elite players struggling is very similar to veterans on 14:15 - May 16 with 1022 viewsmonytowbray

You’re Swiss Toni, just replace making love to a beautiful woman with being in the army.

[Post edited 16 May 2020 14:18]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Elite players struggling is very similar to veterans on 16:24 - May 16 with 942 viewshampstead_blue

Elite players struggling is very similar to veterans on 13:52 - May 16 by itfcjoe

I think it's the being told what to do, and where to be for 90% of your life - and being surrounded by mates for it as well.

So you come out and you lose your structure, your mates and the environment in one hit - and it can't be recreated.

You now have to work out how to make a Dr appointment rather than just phone the club or the army, and manage your transport and your logistics.

I agree they are similar.

And most footballers don't walk away with enough money to retire on, and most burn through it chasing highs

totally agree

I wish pressure, real presure and a ruddy bright light be shone on Taylor at the PFA. For what he earns from the players contributions he should have set-up some amazing transition programs and support by now.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Elite players struggling is very similar to veterans on 18:01 - May 16 with 887 viewsNthQldITFC

When I saw your title I started humming The Blue Danube and slowly rotating.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Elite players struggling is very similar to veterans on 18:27 - May 16 with 859 viewsGuthrum

Elite players struggling is very similar to veterans on 18:01 - May 16 by NthQldITFC

When I saw your title I started humming The Blue Danube and slowly rotating.

Blue Danube also having a military connection ...

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Elite players struggling is very similar to veterans on 19:58 - May 16 with 828 viewstractorboy1978

Elite players struggling is very similar to veterans on 13:10 - May 16 by Blue12345

I understand the point you are trying to make but I respectfully disagree as I don’t think you can forget money in this instance. Elite footballers are extremely privileged through their work and are paid very well. Money alone does not help problems but it certainly opens up windows and resources to seek any help that’s required. Men and women in the forces do not have that option themselves in most cases.

If you've got an addictive personality, a poor support network of friends/family or an underlying mental health problem (i.e anxiety) then having an enormous amount of money 'dumped' on you is a fairly sure way to speed up your demise.
[Post edited 16 May 2020 19:59]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024