Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
that PO game - 20 years ago 10:21 - May 17 with 3583 viewstextbackup

can remember that entire day like it was yesterday, anyone else able to relive it?

woke up early that day, a 14 year old me had school, but there would be zero focus and attention on anything else but the game.
jumped on my bike, up to Chantry i went.... remember seeing a postie at the top shops in a town shirt, few blue armys were shouted back and forth.
day passed and flew home down aster road hill on my bike talking about the game with my mate.

got in and parents had seemingly sacked off anything productive that day as remember seeing empty beer cans on the kitchen worktop, bbq was on, normal dinner was sacked off.

the replica top, fresh from wash (after wearing it the sunday at the reebok) went on, and the family walked down to the westgate ward social club. was still pretty early but started filling up with the regulars - everyone positive as hell and I remember still there with my shandy absolutely bricking it.

then set off to the ground, ensuring I walked over all the double drains for luck, warm summer evening and it seemed everyone in Ipswich was out that evening, sounds stupid but defiantly something in the air that night.

then came the game, the highs and lows will never be repeated in a single game of football for me. remember being surrounded by the regular faces in cobbold lower, and remember their faces when boltons goals went in, when ours went in, the stewards helping us (kids) back over the advertising boards after the goals when we "accidently" ended up going over.....

then the Reuser moment, tears thinking about it, time stood still, seeing the north stand erupt, absolute carnage.

then the final whistle. I was sat/stood with family, ranging from 7 year old cousin to parents and uncle/auntie, the stand emptied and everyone was on that pitch..... nobody knew where anyone was but nobody cared. we knew we'd be safe - I think, or wasn't that even a consideration?!

did I sleep that night, did I bolloks!

Up the town

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:24 - May 17 with 2532 viewsitfcjoe

I relived it all for a podcast the other week - like you say have so many memories of that day that I can still see with such clarity. Can close my eyes and still see it all.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:36 - May 17 with 2494 viewstextbackup

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:24 - May 17 by itfcjoe

I relived it all for a podcast the other week - like you say have so many memories of that day that I can still see with such clarity. Can close my eyes and still see it all.

im grateful I was young enough to not be pissed as I wouldn't remember it.
but at same time annoyed I couldn't get pissed up celebrating it

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:37 - May 17 with 2492 viewsBlueastheycome

I was only 9 at the time so don’t really remember other than that a snapshot memory of being in the upper cobbold and being sad I couldn’t go on the pitch.

Sadly, 14 year old me remembers the emotions and pre match hype of both sets of play off games against West Ham in vivid detail as you described, but without the positive outcome in either of them!
[Post edited 17 May 2020 11:07]
that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:39 - May 17 with 2482 viewsgainsboroughblue

I went through every emotion possible that night. For some reason I was sat in the Portman (Cobbold) Stand rather than the North but the atmosphere in there was just as good as the North for a normal game.

There seemed to be a goal every couple of minutes although obviously there wasn't. I certainly remember still celebrating one of our goals when Alan Johnston put them back in front, then all fell silent again.

My overriding memory of the whole night is sitting looking at the scoreboard at 90 minutes with it saying Ipswich 2 Bolton 3 and thinking that it's just never going to happen for us. Then Magilton shinned one in and everything went full on mad and Bolton totally lost the plot.

I was on the tailor mades back then and somehow managed to chuff my way through 2 packs of B&H due to the sheer tension of it all. Once we were ahead, even pessimistic me thought that there was no stopping us. Dancing on the executive boxes ensued and then in a manoeuvre I would never be able to manage now, I joined everyone else on the pitch at the end.

My big regret was not being able to get a drink anywhere. Everywhere was closed or closing so god knows how long we milked it on that pitch. Luckily there were plenty of cans in the fridge at home.

Fantastic night. How starved have we been since? Portman Road is an incredible place to enjoy football under the lights on nights like that.

Given the doom and gloom of the last 15-20 years, it's these memories that remind you just how much you love ITFC.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:44 - May 17 with 2467 viewsitfcjoe

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:36 - May 17 by textbackup

I missed the first 10-15 minutes of the game as had signed up to a school trip to get the day off school and loads of traffic coming back.

Both teachers were ST holders and diverted bus so we got dropped of at the cut through by Alderman Road, but one had to go back up to the school with all the other kids whilst me and the other teacher pegged it down to the ground and went our separate ways.

At the end of the game, the year before the bloke in front of me and his daughter left before Extra TIme as didn't think there was away goals, then came back during ET. Idiot did literally the exact same thing for that one and missed Jim's equaliser!

I remember walking across the bridge with my sister at end of game, and everyone tooting their horns and some bloke did his and it was pathetic so I shouted that to him and he came back sayign "I know I'm gutted but still have to do it". That's a pointless anecdote but I can still see it so clearly, with even exactly what i was wearing

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:44 - May 17 with 2466 viewstextbackup

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:39 - May 17 by gainsboroughblue

I went through every emotion possible that night. For some reason I was sat in the Portman (Cobbold) Stand rather than the North but the atmosphere in there was just as good as the North for a normal game.

There seemed to be a goal every couple of minutes although obviously there wasn't. I certainly remember still celebrating one of our goals when Alan Johnston put them back in front, then all fell silent again.

My overriding memory of the whole night is sitting looking at the scoreboard at 90 minutes with it saying Ipswich 2 Bolton 3 and thinking that it's just never going to happen for us. Then Magilton shinned one in and everything went full on mad and Bolton totally lost the plot.

I was on the tailor mades back then and somehow managed to chuff my way through 2 packs of B&H due to the sheer tension of it all. Once we were ahead, even pessimistic me thought that there was no stopping us. Dancing on the executive boxes ensued and then in a manoeuvre I would never be able to manage now, I joined everyone else on the pitch at the end.

My big regret was not being able to get a drink anywhere. Everywhere was closed or closing so god knows how long we milked it on that pitch. Luckily there were plenty of cans in the fridge at home.

Fantastic night. How starved have we been since? Portman Road is an incredible place to enjoy football under the lights on nights like that.

Given the doom and gloom of the last 15-20 years, it's these memories that remind you just how much you love ITFC.

easily midnight when I got home, midnight for a 14 year old was a big deal! lol

are you on the highlights reel from the game, dancing on the boxes? watch them back now and can pick out a few of the stoke park boys dancing up there

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:47 - May 17 with 2455 viewsBlueBadger

Watched the match in the Original Plough in Chelmsford. Got there about 30 minutes before the match started(much to the countering out my housemates, who wanted to go to other boozers but I wan't sure they were showing the game so insisted on staying) and I *think* I got home around midnight.
I was at the bar when the move for Stewart's goal happened - I forgot I had a pint in my hand, threw my hands up to celebrate and soaked the lad next to me. In normal circumstances that would have started a row, instead he eneded up turning round and giving me a hug.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:49 - May 17 with 2455 viewstextbackup

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:47 - May 17 by BlueBadger

Watched the match in the Original Plough in Chelmsford. Got there about 30 minutes before the match started(much to the countering out my housemates, who wanted to go to other boozers but I wan't sure they were showing the game so insisted on staying) and I *think* I got home around midnight.
I was at the bar when the move for Stewart's goal happened - I forgot I had a pint in my hand, threw my hands up to celebrate and soaked the lad next to me. In normal circumstances that would have started a row, instead he eneded up turning round and giving me a hug.

stewart didn't score in that game?

Login to get fewer ads

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:51 - May 17 with 2447 viewsBlueBadger

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:49 - May 17 by textbackup

stewart didn't score in that game?

That's how drunk I was, I got my games mixed up!

Second leg wasn't even televised as I recall. Ended up watching via ceefax as I couldn't get RS in Chelmford....
[Post edited 17 May 2020 10:53]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:55 - May 17 with 2449 viewstextbackup

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:51 - May 17 by BlueBadger

That's how drunk I was, I got my games mixed up!

Second leg wasn't even televised as I recall. Ended up watching via ceefax as I couldn't get RS in Chelmford....
[Post edited 17 May 2020 10:53]

watching via ceefax...... imagine telling that to a kid of 15/16 now!
I went on ceefax after school to see transfer news!

that PO game - 20 years ago on 11:01 - May 17 with 2420 viewsBlueBadger

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:55 - May 17 by textbackup

I think at one point I contemplated getting in the car and driving to Suffolk so I could get a bloody radio signal, but then I'd have been at the mercy of radio 5 for updates until I was able to do so.
[Post edited 17 May 2020 11:06]

that PO game - 20 years ago on 11:04 - May 17 with 2414 viewspatrickswell

That’s how I followed the match too as well as listening to updates on Five Live, who were commentating on Arsenal’s loss in the UEFA Cup Final. I went to my local for a celebratory drink after the game. It’s the happiest I have ever felt after an Ipswich match. Emotionally, I was absolutely floating.
that PO game - 20 years ago on 11:07 - May 17 with 2406 viewsbournemouthblue

That game was absolutely mental but such a relief after so much play-off failure

Did Bolton beat us the year before?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

that PO game - 20 years ago on 11:10 - May 17 with 2383 viewsstonojnr

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:36 - May 17 by textbackup

ah thats where I went wrong then :)

I remember pre match drinks in the Plough, the game & even post match, but I cant remember the whole day or tiny details, like did I even buy a programme, if so what did I do with it, or what did I do with the ticket as Ive got all the other years, did we hand them over for the wembley ticket,but I thought we got those back etc etc.
that PO game - 20 years ago on 11:11 - May 17 with 2367 viewsBlueBadger

that PO game - 20 years ago on 11:07 - May 17 by bournemouthblue

That game was absolutely mental but such a relief after so much play-off failure

Did Bolton beat us the year before?

They did. I think my joy at finally getting to the final was made even better by the fact that not only had Bolton beaten us the previous year but they were such a HORRIBLE team full of spoilers and thugs as well.

that PO game - 20 years ago on 11:15 - May 17 with 2364 viewsgainsboroughblue

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:44 - May 17 by textbackup

easily midnight when I got home, midnight for a 14 year old was a big deal! lol

are you on the highlights reel from the game, dancing on the boxes? watch them back now and can pick out a few of the stoke park boys dancing up there

No. I never did see myself. I was generally unlucky with that sort of thing. Case in point being Southend away when Thompson got the winner when the camera scanned along the seats at the side. I was two or three seats down from Tony S and the camera panned back out just as it got past him.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

that PO game - 20 years ago on 11:30 - May 17 with 2342 viewsPinewoodblue

that PO game - 20 years ago on 11:15 - May 17 by gainsboroughblue

No. I never did see myself. I was generally unlucky with that sort of thing. Case in point being Southend away when Thompson got the winner when the camera scanned along the seats at the side. I was two or three seats down from Tony S and the camera panned back out just as it got past him.

Got caught in camera, away game v Coventry following death of Sir Bobby. Wife and I were holding up a Robson’s Blue aces’ scarf. Had names of the UEFA cup winning squad on it. Wife had tears running down her cheek. They used it on SSN was final shot on a news report and comment was “and some shed a tear” Seems, by the phone calls she received on the journey home that Sky repatrd it every 15 minutes. Still doing so when we got home.

Youngest missed the play off game, was on school trip in York. Teacher was relaying updates from her mobile, until the battery run out.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

that PO game - 20 years ago on 11:43 - May 17 with 2313 viewsbluejacko

If they hadn’t lost the plot for some reason they would have beaten us that night! I can still hear Alladyce whinging on about the penalties 😂
But what a night if you were lucky enough to be there 😀
that PO game - 20 years ago on 11:51 - May 17 with 2279 viewslambo77

can't believe we were lucky enough to get tickets

then the highs, the lows, the despair, the joy!

Almost all nearly trumped by getting home, watching the recording and hearing the commentator's 'Reuser, Premiership!' We owe him big time for that unforgettable comment
that PO game - 20 years ago on 12:04 - May 17 with 2243 viewsITFC_Forever

Can remember it well.

I was a rep for a certain soft drinks company at the time, and although I didn’t cover Ipswich, the furthest south I covered was roughly across the A1120 (my patch stretched all the way up to the outskirts of Norwich) so I made sure I visited my customers nearest Ipswich that day so I could be home at a decent time.

We went straight in the ground and had a couple of beers in there, before taking our season ticket seats in the North Stand.
Can remember walking up the steps go to the loo at halftime and thumping a metal barrier panel in frustration as Bolton had just taken the lead again.

Then as the second half unfolded, the desperation towards the end. My mate made his pact with the devil “For fecks sake, if we get to Wembley now, I’m getting ‘arse’ tattooed in 10 inch high letters on my arse” he announced (he settled for the horse and ball). I noticed Mogga had gone up front to try and help, him nodding the ball down to Magilton and his shot evading Jussi Jaaskelainen (I can still see it in slow motion in my mind now).

In to extra time, and another penalty... whose going to take this one? Jamie Clapham was the coolest man in the place and put it away. Bolton then lose the plot and have a couple sent-off, surely it’s our turn now.... I reminded everyone that West Brom scored against us with 9 men at PR earlier in the season, so don’t count any chickens yet.

Then Reuser made it safe and it was party time in the stands, an atmosphere like no other.... for some reason we decided to take our tops off and twirl them around our heads.

Then the final whistle went and on the pitch we ran.... I found myself near David Johnson, so me and another guy picked him up and put him on our shoulders. He weighed a bloody ton, and when we looked up and saw we didn’t seem to be any nearer the players tunnel, we put him down and let the stewards rescue him.

Met up with my girlfriend (now wife) and other mates as they hadn’t sat with us (as they didn’t have STs) back in the stands while Sheepy and Burley spoke to us.

We then headed to Brannigans and the bouncers decided they didn’t like my Gazlles and refused to let me in. Other mates went in and have frequently reminded me ever since I missed the best night of all time as the players then came in and it was party central.

THE best game I’ve ever seen. 20 years ago FFS ..... the fact we sing a song about it now is a stark reminder of how crap we’ve largely been since.
The other depressing fact is that in time, those Semis and the Final are closer in time to our UEFA Cup win than the present day.
[Post edited 18 May 2020 9:08]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

that PO game - 20 years ago on 12:16 - May 17 with 2203 viewsSitfcB

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:47 - May 17 by BlueBadger

Have you ever actually been to a game?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

that PO game - 20 years ago on 12:18 - May 17 with 2206 viewsITFC_Forever

that PO game - 20 years ago on 11:51 - May 17 by lambo77

can't believe we were lucky enough to get tickets

then the highs, the lows, the despair, the joy!

Almost all nearly trumped by getting home, watching the recording and hearing the commentator's 'Reuser, Premiership!' We owe him big time for that unforgettable comment

That was the final, this thread is talking about the second leg of the semi.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

that PO game - 20 years ago on 13:45 - May 17 with 2129 viewsdavblue

that PO game - 20 years ago on 10:39 - May 17 by gainsboroughblue

I distinctly remember the feelings that I had that we’d messed it up yet again before Magilton’s goal. The lift and belief that goal gave us and the players carried us over the line that night.

What gets forgotten was the game the year before, that was also a classic but we were on the wrong end of the result.
that PO game - 20 years ago on 13:55 - May 17 with 2102 viewspatrickswell

that PO game - 20 years ago on 11:11 - May 17 by BlueBadger

They did. I think my joy at finally getting to the final was made even better by the fact that not only had Bolton beaten us the previous year but they were such a HORRIBLE team full of spoilers and thugs as well.

That’s the thing though - they were a mix of strength and guile: Gudjohsen, Jensen, Johansen,Holdsworth, Bo Hansen, even Bob Taylor in 1999 would have walked into any side in the division. Bergsson, Fish and Whitlow were all good players too.

I think that the loss of Gudjohsen affected their mindsets. He could potentially have been the difference between the two sides. Without him, they didn’t have that, so overcompensated in trying to stop us play by trying to be physical. But Knight pulled them up on it, and we were strong enough to keep coming back at them.
[Post edited 17 May 2020 14:00]
that PO game - 20 years ago on 14:08 - May 17 with 2062 viewsPendejo

Elected not to go, not a good time in personal life, living in North Manchester many miles closer to Bolton than Ipswich.

Back then worked as a "home service" Financial Advisor working a client base in East Manchester (mainly Gorton and Abbey Hey), so plenty of evening work up to 9pm, tried radio 5 but every report had us behind. Looked at ceefax, had us behind, just couldn't face TWTD. Stayed away the curiosity got the better of me and Reuser had just scored according to ceefax, which tended to be a few minutes behind the times.

Had a conversation with Dalliance, who by then was on the pitch and the world around him going mental... Couldn't sleep that night.

Cue 12 months that reminded us how high a well recruited, coached and managed small budget team could go, and a few adjustments to the ground that would ultimately drag us further down than any of us could realistically imagine.I

Georgie Burley's blue and white army!
[Post edited 17 May 2020 14:08]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024