Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries 13:16 - May 17 with 860 viewsDarth_Koont

I think children going back to school is a clear part of easing the lockdown. But I appreciate that this is also becoming more and more academic in the UK (excuse the pun) when kids will shortly be having their summer holidays anyway.

Anyway, for those who are worried about the risk to kids and the risk of transmission, this seems a good, trustworthy message to bear in mind:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/health-52695995/children-seem-less-capable-of-spread

Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 13:54 - May 17 with 803 viewsOldsmoker

Whilst reading the Guardian website this morning I have been made aware of 2 new indicators of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The TLC and TBI.
These are at an all-time high so people should be alert at all times.

TLC - Tory Lie Curve
TBI - Tory Bullsh*t Indicator.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 14:00 - May 17 with 783 viewsDarth_Koont

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 13:54 - May 17 by Oldsmoker

Whilst reading the Guardian website this morning I have been made aware of 2 new indicators of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The TLC and TBI.
These are at an all-time high so people should be alert at all times.

TLC - Tory Lie Curve
TBI - Tory Bullsh*t Indicator.

The TLC and TBI are at an all-time high because of the underlying NMO* levels.

*Narrative Management Overdrive.

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 14:01 - May 17 with 776 viewsSwansea_Blue

This allied syndrome that they're picking up in Covd-19 hotspots like New York is the concern for me. It may only be killing a relatively few kids, but one life lost to that when we know it could be an issue will be one too many. Until that's been looked at properly I'd be nervous about sending my kids back (that's probably moot in my case, as I think in Wales most kids won't be going back until September).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 14:24 - May 17 with 739 viewsDarth_Koont

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 14:01 - May 17 by Swansea_Blue

This allied syndrome that they're picking up in Covd-19 hotspots like New York is the concern for me. It may only be killing a relatively few kids, but one life lost to that when we know it could be an issue will be one too many. Until that's been looked at properly I'd be nervous about sending my kids back (that's probably moot in my case, as I think in Wales most kids won't be going back until September).

Sure but those cases are very rare even so and not seen around the world with any demonstrable pattern. This needs monitoring and following up of course.

I get the worry but we're talking about major changes to society in order to possibly protect a few lives. That despite the fact that we've learnt to ignore hundreds and thousands of children's lives in normal times without taking anything like the same stance.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673618306706

So it's hard to understand from a logical and greater good perspective.

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 14:44 - May 17 with 707 viewsGuthrum

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 14:01 - May 17 by Swansea_Blue

Last I heard they still weren't sure it was linked to C-19.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 14:53 - May 17 with 692 viewsSwansea_Blue

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 14:24 - May 17 by Darth_Koont

Sure but those cases are very rare even so and not seen around the world with any demonstrable pattern. This needs monitoring and following up of course.

I get the worry but we're talking about major changes to society in order to possibly protect a few lives. That despite the fact that we've learnt to ignore hundreds and thousands of children's lives in normal times without taking anything like the same stance.

There is that, but then there's also the chance to do the right thing for once and value lives? I realise there are a lot of complicate issues around the periphery here related to vulnerable kids and the role schools play, but surely they could find a way of continuing to deal with exceptions (as the are doing now).

Maybe the New York reports aren't linked to Covid-19, but we'd look a bit stupid if we dismissed it and then there turns out there is something in it. Hard to explain that to someone who's just lost their kid.

My view's not informed though - I'd just want reassurances that they've got this as right as they can. I haven't seen anything on that yet though. The WHO message that kids are less likely to transmit and no clusters of infections have been found linked to schools is a good start. The NY situation plays on my mind though.

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 14:56 - May 17 with 686 viewsSwansea_Blue

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 14:44 - May 17 by Guthrum

Last I heard they still weren't sure it was linked to C-19.

It'd be nice to find out!

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 14:57 - May 17 with 690 viewsgordon

I can't really see how sending kids back for a month or so before the summer holidays is going to be worth it. It certainly won't feel it once this sort of thing starts happening:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-52635611
Login to get fewer ads

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 14:59 - May 17 with 683 viewsgordon

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 14:24 - May 17 by Darth_Koont

Not sure I really follow the link between the fact that there is higher child mortality in the UK than Sweden and re-opening schools. If anything, the fact that we have more obese mothers who smoke is a reason to be more cautious about reopening schools, because those are risk factors.
Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 15:05 - May 17 with 677 viewsDarth_Koont

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 14:53 - May 17 by Swansea_Blue

There is that, but then there's also the chance to do the right thing for once and value lives? I realise there are a lot of complicate issues around the periphery here related to vulnerable kids and the role schools play, but surely they could find a way of continuing to deal with exceptions (as the are doing now).

Maybe the New York reports aren't linked to Covid-19, but we'd look a bit stupid if we dismissed it and then there turns out there is something in it. Hard to explain that to someone who's just lost their kid.

My view's not informed though - I'd just want reassurances that they've got this as right as they can. I haven't seen anything on that yet though. The WHO message that kids are less likely to transmit and no clusters of infections have been found linked to schools is a good start. The NY situation plays on my mind though.

No, I'm with you about not dismissing it. The potential link to Kawasaki disease is something that we need to understand.

If it was the start of something and making lives more valuable, then I agree. But I'm sceptical about taking the more extreme positions on that but focusing instead on the greater good arguments that have been raised re: health, wealth and the environment. For example, something like banning cars outright because what we know about the far higher fatality risks and environmental damage would be at the extreme end. So I think lasting change will come from a more universal and common good approach.

FWIW I think the reason schools perhaps shouldn't go back is more that we're talking about sending some kids back for a month or more. At a time where tensions and uncertainty are high. It then seems more of a political point rather than in children's best interests. As the school holidays approach the argument just gets weaker and we should probably be planning and preparing for that instead so children see some escape and hope in all this. Not sure they've been given much to look forward to and that's a clear component in happiness, wellbeing and their development too.

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 15:15 - May 17 with 654 viewsDarth_Koont

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 14:59 - May 17 by gordon

Not sure I really follow the link between the fact that there is higher child mortality in the UK than Sweden and re-opening schools. If anything, the fact that we have more obese mothers who smoke is a reason to be more cautious about reopening schools, because those are risk factors.

It was to illustrate that changing society could save hundreds and thousands of lives. And no doubt with measures that are probably far less sweeping and drastic as having kids stay away from school.

There's a danger that we become overly sensitive to just Coronavirus and think that by addressing it even at massive cost that we can safely go back to normal. Not realising that normal and our lack of engagement in fixing stuff is a much bigger problem.

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 16:07 - May 17 with 579 viewsGuthrum

Re: Kids and teachers, this may ease some worries on 14:56 - May 17 by Swansea_Blue

It'd be nice to find out!

Will take a load more research (on top of the stuff being done already). Very few cases to go on yet, so not much leverage for statistical-based approaches, or many samples to look for common factors.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024