Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tech help part 2... 14:47 - May 17 with 617 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

So you know those emails from somebody you know that just say hi, contain a dodgy link and generally go straight to quarantine.....well.... one got through to my inbox and I opened the email to read it but not the link. It was one of those bit.ly ones so binned it straight away.
However I have since had notifications appear and this lovely looking woman wants to follow me on MixCloud so that she can show me some lovely pictures from her bedroom on a similar bit.ly link. I have deleted MixCloud (sorry Dubbers) but am I safe in thinking that as I haven't opened any links that my phone has not been compromised.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Tech help part 2... on 19:46 - May 17 with 540 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Quick bump for the evening shift...the daytime mob have been bloody useless.

Tech help part 2... on 19:50 - May 17 with 535 viewsjeera

I'm pretty sure from previous conversations with people such as Dan who know These Things, it's safe to open the mail itself to read, but as you say, not to touch any links or PDFs etc contained in the mail.

This will need verifying by someone but for some quick reassurance I think you're right the first time, yes.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Tech help part 2... on 19:50 - May 17 with 535 viewsEwan_Oozami

Tech help part 2... on 19:46 - May 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

You'll be fine, the fact that you opened the mail probably sent back a read receipt so whoever sent knows there's someone at that email address - so you'll just get sent more spam - as long as you delete it straight away there'll be no problem - just make sure you've done a full AV scan and all will be good.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Tech help part 2... on 19:59 - May 17 with 531 viewsbrogansnose

Tech help part 2... on 19:46 - May 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

Weird thing, I got the same but I didn't open it up - chuff knows who would want to follow me - and just sent it straight to delete with no obvious negative schizzle.

Dubbers has got another couple of sets out which I'm going to get on this week.
Tech help part 2... on 20:00 - May 17 with 530 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Tech help part 2... on 19:50 - May 17 by Ewan_Oozami

You'll be fine, the fact that you opened the mail probably sent back a read receipt so whoever sent knows there's someone at that email address - so you'll just get sent more spam - as long as you delete it straight away there'll be no problem - just make sure you've done a full AV scan and all will be good.

I couldn't understand how opening the email activated the home screen notification of a follow request on MixCloud of all things. This appeared twice until I deleted mixcloud.

Tech help part 2... on 20:02 - May 17 with 526 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Tech help part 2... on 19:59 - May 17 by brogansnose

Weird thing, I got the same but I didn't open it up - chuff knows who would want to follow me - and just sent it straight to delete with no obvious negative schizzle.

Dubbers has got another couple of sets out which I'm going to get on this week.

Maybe it will be safe to reinstall then....and anyway who would open a link to bedroom photographs!!

Tech help part 2... on 20:04 - May 17 with 523 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Evening shift are just a different class....thanks all.

Tech help part 2... on 20:05 - May 17 with 520 viewsjeera

Tech help part 2... on 20:02 - May 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

Maybe it will be safe to reinstall then....and anyway who would open a link to bedroom photographs!!

Poor girl probably just wanted some advice on decor or something.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Tech help part 2... on 20:20 - May 17 with 506 viewsEwan_Oozami

Tech help part 2... on 20:00 - May 17 by BanksterDebtSlave

I couldn't understand how opening the email activated the home screen notification of a follow request on MixCloud of all things. This appeared twice until I deleted mixcloud.

Which browser/client are you using to get your mail? Some mails can auto activate notifications via some embedded javascript depending on your mail reader settings, they can't do any damage just by opening the mail, but they can try and get you to actually enter information in response to a notification which could then compromise you in some way - DtM can give you specifics if you want your brain frying!

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Tech help part 2... on 20:58 - May 17 with 492 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Tech help part 2... on 20:20 - May 17 by Ewan_Oozami

Which browser/client are you using to get your mail? Some mails can auto activate notifications via some embedded javascript depending on your mail reader settings, they can't do any damage just by opening the mail, but they can try and get you to actually enter information in response to a notification which could then compromise you in some way - DtM can give you specifics if you want your brain frying!

Many thanks it sounds like all is well.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024