Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another code breaker goes to that Bletchley Park in the sky 17:29 - May 17 with 787 viewsPendejo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-52698087

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Another code breaker goes to that Bletchley Park in the sky on 18:02 - May 17 with 753 viewsEdwardStone

Fascinating place to visit Mr P

Have you been?

Although breaking Enigma was good, the real good stuff was cracking the Lorenz codes....this was all the High Command stuff, Enigma was more "Tell Private Schmitt that he has a dental appointment next Wednesday"

They were so good at intercepting and decoding the Lorenz stuff that the Allied High Command received the messages before Hitler. Although Mr H wasn't an early starter and used to lay abed until 10.....apparently

R I P Bletchley Codebreakers.....you served your Country well
Another code breaker goes to that Bletchley Park in the sky on 19:27 - May 17 with 718 viewsPendejo

Another code breaker goes to that Bletchley Park in the sky on 18:02 - May 17 by EdwardStone

Fascinating place to visit Mr P

Have you been?

Although breaking Enigma was good, the real good stuff was cracking the Lorenz codes....this was all the High Command stuff, Enigma was more "Tell Private Schmitt that he has a dental appointment next Wednesday"

They were so good at intercepting and decoding the Lorenz stuff that the Allied High Command received the messages before Hitler. Although Mr H wasn't an early starter and used to lay abed until 10.....apparently

R I P Bletchley Codebreakers.....you served your Country well

The first time I became aware of Bletchley Park and it's role in the war was when I visited an Insurance Brokerage who were based on / near the site. Spent more time talking about the code breakers than work.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Another code breaker goes to that Bletchley Park in the sky on 20:00 - May 17 with 712 viewslongtimefan

Another code breaker goes to that Bletchley Park in the sky on 19:27 - May 17 by Pendejo

The first time I became aware of Bletchley Park and it's role in the war was when I visited an Insurance Brokerage who were based on / near the site. Spent more time talking about the code breakers than work.

I spent 5 weeks at Bletchley Park in 1980 when it was still used as a Post Office Telcomms Training school. This was obviously before they had the museum and the rebuilt Colossus. Many of the decoding huts had been turned into accommodation blocks, where we stayed, and we used to drink in the bar and play snooker in the evenings In the main mansion.
Another code breaker goes to that Bletchley Park in the sky on 20:11 - May 17 with 709 viewsEdwardStone

Another code breaker goes to that Bletchley Park in the sky on 20:00 - May 17 by longtimefan

I spent 5 weeks at Bletchley Park in 1980 when it was still used as a Post Office Telcomms Training school. This was obviously before they had the museum and the rebuilt Colossus. Many of the decoding huts had been turned into accommodation blocks, where we stayed, and we used to drink in the bar and play snooker in the evenings In the main mansion.

Blimey....walking in the footsteps of giants

Those huts would have been thrown together in 1940 (?) with a very short lifespan. Still going strong 40 years later

I wonder if the original owners of Bletchley Park were ever asked if they might like it back post 1945....I assume it was requisitioned for the duration of the War
Another code breaker goes to that Bletchley Park in the sky on 20:26 - May 17 with 703 viewslongtimefan

Another code breaker goes to that Bletchley Park in the sky on 20:11 - May 17 by EdwardStone

Blimey....walking in the footsteps of giants

Those huts would have been thrown together in 1940 (?) with a very short lifespan. Still going strong 40 years later

I wonder if the original owners of Bletchley Park were ever asked if they might like it back post 1945....I assume it was requisitioned for the duration of the War

Apparently the Mansion and much of the site was sold to a builder just prior to the war in 1938 for redeveloping as housing. But it was then purchased later that same year by the Head of SIS with a view to using in the event of war. The head of SIS used his own money as there wasn’t sufficient in the government budget! [Lifted from Wikipedia]
[Post edited 17 May 2020 20:35]
Another code breaker goes to that Bletchley Park in the sky on 20:41 - May 17 with 692 viewsEdwardStone

Another code breaker goes to that Bletchley Park in the sky on 20:26 - May 17 by longtimefan

Apparently the Mansion and much of the site was sold to a builder just prior to the war in 1938 for redeveloping as housing. But it was then purchased later that same year by the Head of SIS with a view to using in the event of war. The head of SIS used his own money as there wasn’t sufficient in the government budget! [Lifted from Wikipedia]
[Post edited 17 May 2020 20:35]

Aaah, good ole Wiki

I kind of assumed that it had been nabbed under Emergency Powers

Head of SIS was one smart cookie....obviously had a bit of money behind him too....just pull out his cheque book and cough up for a substantial Country House
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024