Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph 18:33 - May 17 with 4428 viewspointofblue

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/05/17/league-one-clubs-expected-vote-e

But the possibility still seems to be there to extend the Play Offs to eight teams. I mean... seriously?!

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 20:31 - May 17 with 744 viewsDanny_G

League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 20:08 - May 17 by tractorboy1978

Gillingham have played a game less than us. If you 'true the league up' so we've all played the same games on a PPG basis they go ahead of us.

I know. My point was that we could argue that this isn’t a reasonable reflection of both teams’ results in the season so far, as we’ve had much tougher matches, and therefore not a fair outcome.
[Post edited 17 May 2020 20:33]
League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 20:32 - May 17 with 740 viewsitfcjoe

League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 20:07 - May 17 by Illinoisblue

By what criteria would we we get into that group of 8?

By being 10th, presumably not adjusting for ppg?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 20:34 - May 17 with 736 viewsDanny_G

League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 20:00 - May 17 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Although the obvious counter point to that is that the teams respective form over the past 20-odd games suggests they would be well clear of us by the season end

Us being deemed to be ahead of Gillingham and included in an expanded playoff would be a pretty embarrassing outcome, although I’d laugh hard if we somehow won it

Absolutely - there’s no way to do it that doesn’t leave someone feeling hard done by. But I’d certainly take the chance if we were offered it.
League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 20:38 - May 17 with 723 viewsParisBlue

League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 20:07 - May 17 by Illinoisblue

By what criteria would we we get into that group of 8?

By voiding all games played between the top 10 teams.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 20:40 - May 17 with 714 viewspointofblue

League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 19:27 - May 17 by tractorboy1978

Surely not if we are 11th after PPG applied? Unless a club above us cannot afford to carry on. Would be the most embarrassing way to possibly go up!

It's alright - I doubt we'd win them anyway!
[Post edited 17 May 2020 21:27]

League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 20:53 - May 17 with 699 viewsTrequartista

League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 20:18 - May 17 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Accepting that it can’t be completed, it would be unfair whether you abandon it or declare it completed

Personally I think enough of the season has been played to justify the latter, although can certainly see the counter-argument

I can see both sides, but i just wouldn't think it unfair to abandon it, it would just be bad luck. If a game is abandoned after 75 minutes you don't just declare one team the winner if they 2-0 up.

I would accept it's ok to give Liverpool the title as the odds of them being caught were huge, but everything else, well there are just too many points still to play for.
[Post edited 17 May 2020 20:53]

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 21:31 - May 17 with 653 viewspointofblue

League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 20:30 - May 17 by Illinoisblue

Seems fair. Works for me

It wouldn't for Andy Holt!

League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 23:34 - May 17 with 587 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 20:53 - May 17 by Trequartista

I can see both sides, but i just wouldn't think it unfair to abandon it, it would just be bad luck. If a game is abandoned after 75 minutes you don't just declare one team the winner if they 2-0 up.

I would accept it's ok to give Liverpool the title as the odds of them being caught were huge, but everything else, well there are just too many points still to play for.
[Post edited 17 May 2020 20:53]

Actually, the FA rules around abandoned matches are woolly and do actually allow them to be declared complete if the FA deem it appropriate. Still, I would argue that isn’t a like for like comparison to abandoning a league season - given the alternative is to play it in full which isn’t possible here

I also don’t think your Liverpool suggestion is workable - either the season is declared completed or abandoned in full IMO, you can’t just arbitrarily decide which bits are complete

Finally I can’t really see the bad luck point - that works either way as you can just argue it’s bad luck for a team who have theoretically easy games remaining

As I said I can definitely see it either way, but given there will be winners and losers either way, and taking into account how much of the season has been completed, I think declaring it completed on a PPG basis is the most common sense outcome

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 00:35 - May 18 with 569 viewsElderGrizzly

League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 19:38 - May 17 by itfcjoe

That was my view but he didn’t seem to share that

I assume Evans wouldn’t have pushed so hard if he didn’t have some assurance we’d be involved?
League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 06:56 - May 18 with 517 viewsurbanblue

It is only fair that any team who would have the chance to go up if the season continue be involved. Of course, how they do it should be dependent on the current points and league position so not sure how they would work that.
League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 07:06 - May 18 with 511 viewsm14_blue

League One season to be curtailed this week - Telegraph on 18:57 - May 17 by Trequartista

I cannot understand why there are not only 2 possibilities

1) Resume the season
2) Abandon the season with no promotion or relegation.

Anything else is just unfair, you can't move the goalposts.

100% agree
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024