Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Graham Potter 13:18 - May 18 with 4539 viewsHullblue

Phil, how close did we get with him? Until I read your Redknapp article I didn’t realise he was on our 4 man shortlist - I thought Evans had just overlooked him. He would have been the best of the lot by a long way.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Graham Potter on 13:33 - May 18 with 4511 viewsPhilTWTD

Not sure, I don't remember too much chat around him at the time. I think he may well have been in a similar position as Lampard in that other options would have been more attractive in terms of finance and in the end he went to Swansea who had parachute payments, of course. I wanted to ask him when we played Swansea but he wasn't in a very good mood if I remember rightly as we beat them.
Graham Potter on 13:34 - May 18 with 4498 viewsfactual_blue

We need Harry Potter these days.

Or some other wizard.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Graham Potter on 14:31 - May 18 with 4404 viewsHullblue

Graham Potter on 13:33 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

Not sure, I don't remember too much chat around him at the time. I think he may well have been in a similar position as Lampard in that other options would have been more attractive in terms of finance and in the end he went to Swansea who had parachute payments, of course. I wanted to ask him when we played Swansea but he wasn't in a very good mood if I remember rightly as we beat them.

That makes sense - thanks Phil. I guess he would have kept us up then left us for Brighton anyway.

Graham Potter on 14:35 - May 18 with 4390 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Evans in hindsight has made a lot of choices that have ended up going sour!

At least we can go again next season with a fit side!
Graham Potter on 14:40 - May 18 with 4371 viewsSwansea_Blue

Graham Potter on 14:31 - May 18 by Hullblue

That makes sense - thanks Phil. I guess he would have kept us up then left us for Brighton anyway.

Now there's a good question. When was the last time a manager left us to go on to bigger things; so a bigger club or club in a higher division?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Graham Potter on 14:42 - May 18 with 4365 viewsITFC_Forever

Graham Potter on 14:40 - May 18 by Swansea_Blue

Now there's a good question. When was the last time a manager left us to go on to bigger things; so a bigger club or club in a higher division?

SBR.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Graham Potter on 14:43 - May 18 with 4354 viewsgainsboroughblue

Got to be Sir Bob in all honesty hasn't it?

Even then, the knives were out for at least half of his tenure as England boss.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Graham Potter on 14:47 - May 18 with 4332 viewsSwansea_Blue

Graham Potter on 14:42 - May 18 by ITFC_Forever

SBR.

I think it was, wasn't it. Crazy really, you'd have thought that someone over all that time would have been wanted by another team. Burley's stock must have been sky high after our 5th place PL finish, but I can't remember if there was ever any interest. Just reaffirms what a poor buch we've had.

Login to get fewer ads

Graham Potter on 14:50 - May 18 with 4324 viewsDarth_Koont

Graham Potter on 13:33 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

Oddly enough, when we won that game, I thought we'd possibly dodged a bullet.

He certainly put out a great side that possibly should have been up 4-0 at half-time but was so determinedly open and non-defensive at the back that we managed to score three even on the back foot for 90 minutes.

Not sure I've ever seen a team play as loose as that - though evidently it turns out he does know what he's doing.

Pronouns: He/Him

Graham Potter on 15:30 - May 18 with 4204 viewsPhilTWTD

Graham Potter on 14:50 - May 18 by Darth_Koont

Oddly enough, when we won that game, I thought we'd possibly dodged a bullet.

He certainly put out a great side that possibly should have been up 4-0 at half-time but was so determinedly open and non-defensive at the back that we managed to score three even on the back foot for 90 minutes.

Not sure I've ever seen a team play as loose as that - though evidently it turns out he does know what he's doing.

I thought his spell at Swansea was a bit of a failure given their resources having been relegated from the Premier League. Was surprised he got the Brighton job after that season.
Graham Potter on 15:41 - May 18 with 4163 viewsitfcjoe

Graham Potter on 15:30 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

I thought his spell at Swansea was a bit of a failure given their resources having been relegated from the Premier League. Was surprised he got the Brighton job after that season.

They were selling anything of any value - and he managed to bring through kids that were nobodies really - when you look at the team that beat us at PR the majority of them had played very little first team football prior to that season.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Graham Potter on 15:47 - May 18 with 4124 viewsDarth_Koont

Graham Potter on 15:30 - May 18 by PhilTWTD

Yep - me too. They looked very good though. Wonder if that helped Brighton give him the benefit of the doubt?

Although hard not to look good with Daniel James doing a Ryan Fraser impression and big money players all over the pitch.

Graham Potter on 15:59 - May 18 with 4083 viewsParisBlue

Before my time but IIRC Bill McGarry left because Wolves were a better option in his eyes, with SBR as his replacement.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Graham Potter on 16:06 - May 18 with 4060 viewsitfcjoe

Graham Potter on 15:47 - May 18 by Darth_Koont

Yep - me too. They looked very good though. Wonder if that helped Brighton give him the benefit of the doubt?

Although hard not to look good with Daniel James doing a Ryan Fraser impression and big money players all over the pitch.

Daniel James who couldn't get a game under Paul Hurst the season before at Shrewsbury, who we could have bought for £250k that summer (genuinely).

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Graham Potter on 16:14 - May 18 with 4033 viewsDarth_Koont

Graham Potter on 16:06 - May 18 by itfcjoe

Daniel James who couldn't get a game under Paul Hurst the season before at Shrewsbury, who we could have bought for £250k that summer (genuinely).

I did hear that and had successfully suppressed it.

Thanks a bunch!

Graham Potter on 16:21 - May 18 with 4013 viewsSwansea_Blue

Graham Potter on 15:47 - May 18 by Darth_Koont

The general consensus down here is that he performed minor miracles to pull together a new team from former fringe players and development squad and get them playing football again, something that had been missing for a few years. They paid a fair whack for Celina (about £3m I think) but that was the only money they spent on the first team - a far cry from the big spenders in the league. Most of the big money players were shipped out in the summer.

Most of the players who performed last year have been very poor this season and the team as a whole has lost its way.

It's all relative though as they'd had the benefit of a PL development squad to call on. Something we could only dream of.

Graham Potter on 16:56 - May 18 with 3944 viewsKieran_Knows

Graham Potter on 16:06 - May 18 by itfcjoe

Suppose Hurst didn't want to bring him with him considering their spell at Shrewsbury together?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Graham Potter on 18:20 - May 18 with 3819 viewsSwansea_Blue

Graham Potter on 16:56 - May 18 by Kieran_Knows

Suppose Hurst didn't want to bring him with him considering their spell at Shrewsbury together?

Hurst would have ignored him and got his sidekick goon to shout at him. Potter was the main reason Dan James broke through - he's on record crediting him for turning his career around (as are several others). I think he'd have been great choice to help bring our youngsters through, although whoever was going to come in always had a tough job to follow Mick.

Graham Potter on 19:20 - May 18 with 3778 viewsHullblue

Graham Potter on 18:20 - May 18 by Swansea_Blue

Hurst would have ignored him and got his sidekick goon to shout at him. Potter was the main reason Dan James broke through - he's on record crediting him for turning his career around (as are several others). I think he'd have been great choice to help bring our youngsters through, although whoever was going to come in always had a tough job to follow Mick.

Yup - can’t help but think Dozzell would have broken through under him and been sold for a serious amount of money last summer.

You said above that we couldn’t dream of a PL development squad, but not many of them will have two England U20 central midfielders at their disposal. If we don’t succeed with this group of youngsters - either directly or through sales - then we are truly fckd.

Graham Potter on 11:21 - May 19 with 3418 viewshochiblue

Graham Potter on 14:47 - May 18 by Swansea_Blue

I think it was, wasn't it. Crazy really, you'd have thought that someone over all that time would have been wanted by another team. Burley's stock must have been sky high after our 5th place PL finish, but I can't remember if there was ever any interest. Just reaffirms what a poor buch we've had.

He had a spell at Hearts, had them top of the SPL before the owner started picking the team. Then Southampton, I think. Somewhere else but I can’t recall now...
Graham Potter on 11:42 - May 19 with 3384 viewspatrickswell

Graham Potter on 19:20 - May 18 by Hullblue

Yup - can’t help but think Dozzell would have broken through under him and been sold for a serious amount of money last summer.

You said above that we couldn’t dream of a PL development squad, but not many of them will have two England U20 central midfielders at their disposal. If we don’t succeed with this group of youngsters - either directly or through sales - then we are truly fckd.

They’ve got to stop getting injured though. Kenlock, Downes and Woolfenden have come through game time with us and on their loans relatively unscathed, but the amount of time Bishop, Dozzell, Nydam, Lankester, Morris and Folami lost due to injury or not being seen as suitable for a relegation battle/League One rough and tumble etc has been shocking. Even El-Mizouni saw his season cut short after getting rave reviews at Cambridge.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 11:45]
Graham Potter on 14:04 - May 19 with 3305 viewsRadlett_blue

Graham Potter on 15:59 - May 18 by ParisBlue

Before my time but IIRC Bill McGarry left because Wolves were a better option in his eyes, with SBR as his replacement.

That was an understandable decision at the time. Wolves were better supported, averaging 30,000 to our 23,000 & had more resources. McGarry also did well in his early years at Wolves, moving them from bottom half strugglers to Uefa Cup qualifiers & won a League Cup.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024