Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Public information for the novis cyclists -2 16:23 - May 18 with 1472 viewsbluelagos

Gravel and two wheels are not a good combo.

Neither is TCP and gravel rash.

BL

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 16:24 - May 18 with 1462 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ouch!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 16:34 - May 18 with 1441 viewsbluelagos

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 16:24 - May 18 by Swansea_Blue

Ouch!

Took a proper tumble. Was gunning it downhill and mate shouted for me to take a left turn (from Colchester, turning left for Mount Bures about a mile from Bures) which unknown to us was covered in gravel a good inch deep.

Gravel rash all down left side but nothing worse. Mate had to swerve round me on the floor so could have been a lot worse!

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 16:39 - May 18 with 1436 viewsfactual_blue

Is a Novis a special bicycle for novice cyclists? Or is it one used by those delivering Hovis bread on a steep hill you're meant to think is in Yorkshire, but is actually in Dorset?

[Post edited 18 May 2020 16:40]

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 16:58 - May 18 with 1407 viewsBlueBadger

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 16:39 - May 18 by factual_blue

Is a Novis a special bicycle for novice cyclists? Or is it one used by those delivering Hovis bread on a steep hill you're meant to think is in Yorkshire, but is actually in Dorset?

Surely a 'Novis' WOULDN'T be delivering Hovis?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 17:50 - May 18 with 1364 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Unlucky...there's a lot of gravel out there at the moment especially on the really minor roads which is why I go really really slowly.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 17:52 - May 18 with 1362 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 16:39 - May 18 by factual_blue

BlueLagos is Chutney, who woulda thunk it!

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 17:55 - May 18 with 1362 viewsbluelagos

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 17:50 - May 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

Unlucky...there's a lot of gravel out there at the moment especially on the really minor roads which is why I go really really slowly.

Isn't there just.

I did say to my mate I was glad I wasn't on my motorbike. No gravel rash but a grands worth of damage to the motorbike... (Had I been on it)

Mind you, my elbow is stinging like fck and I did bang my hip quite hard. If I can't ride for a couple of days - you lot will have to put up with me posting cr*p on here :-)
[Post edited 18 May 2020 17:56]

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 18:00 - May 18 with 1356 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 17:55 - May 18 by bluelagos

Isn't there just.

I did say to my mate I was glad I wasn't on my motorbike. No gravel rash but a grands worth of damage to the motorbike... (Had I been on it)

Mind you, my elbow is stinging like fck and I did bang my hip quite hard. If I can't ride for a couple of days - you lot will have to put up with me posting cr*p on here :-)
[Post edited 18 May 2020 17:56]

Freshly laid I take it? And inches deep in places as you say.
Time to find that hitchhiker then!

Login to get fewer ads

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 18:08 - May 18 with 1345 viewsbluelagos

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 18:00 - May 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

Just a load of gravelly cr*p on the road. I looked back at where I slid and it was an inch deep.

The lack of traffic won't help. Tis the same in the middle of the roads / crossed lines hatches - for any progressive motorbikers out there.

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 18:09 - May 18 with 1343 viewsstonojnr

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 18:00 - May 18 by BanksterDebtSlave

yeah Suffolk have been out the last week doing the same,and plenty of notices up for more, its made some roads absolutely lethal to ride on, I dont think they remotely understand that leaving even just a 1cm of loose gravel is enough for you on 2 wheels to come a cropper, and they leave more than 1cm on minor roads regularly and always in the bit youll be more often forced to ride in, and at junctions its often much deeper still.

report it as a highways issue to the council, the more people that do, the more maybe theyll take notice and make their contractors to do their job properly in the first place.
Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 18:13 - May 18 with 1337 viewsTractorWood

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 18:09 - May 18 by stonojnr

yeah Suffolk have been out the last week doing the same,and plenty of notices up for more, its made some roads absolutely lethal to ride on, I dont think they remotely understand that leaving even just a 1cm of loose gravel is enough for you on 2 wheels to come a cropper, and they leave more than 1cm on minor roads regularly and always in the bit youll be more often forced to ride in, and at junctions its often much deeper still.

report it as a highways issue to the council, the more people that do, the more maybe theyll take notice and make their contractors to do their job properly in the first place.

Gravel is a demon. If you ever do a sportive, very experienced riders usually make a big deal with lots of sweeping hand gestures and aggressive pointing at gravel. For good reason.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 18:14 - May 18 with 1337 viewsSwansea_Blue

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 16:34 - May 18 by bluelagos

Took a proper tumble. Was gunning it downhill and mate shouted for me to take a left turn (from Colchester, turning left for Mount Bures about a mile from Bures) which unknown to us was covered in gravel a good inch deep.

Gravel rash all down left side but nothing worse. Mate had to swerve round me on the floor so could have been a lot worse!

That doesn't sound good. It may be hard core to go hair free, but skin free is taking it a bit too far!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 18:52 - May 18 with 1318 viewsBasuco

When cornering you need to transfer your weight to the outside pedal by pushing on the pedal and lifting your weight slightly off the saddle, if you keep calm and keep a smooth line and relax your shoulders, you can get round grit and gravel covered corners surprisingly quickly. But when it goes wrong it can sting a bit, the first 2 or 3 nights lack of sleep can get to you as well.
Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 19:08 - May 18 with 1303 viewsbluelagos

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 18:14 - May 18 by Swansea_Blue

That doesn't sound good. It may be hard core to go hair free, but skin free is taking it a bit too far!

It was hot today tbf.

Stinging like fck now mind!

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 06:45 - May 19 with 1194 viewsCrawfordsboot

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 19:08 - May 18 by bluelagos

It was hot today tbf.

Stinging like fck now mind!

Sympathy Lagos - My first time out wearing clip ins I rode into a wide area of freshly laid deep shingle like infill. The bike came to a stop, sank down and I simply toppled sideways still clipped in. Inevitably my cycling mates thought it was hilarious.
Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 08:10 - May 19 with 1166 viewsbluelagos

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 06:45 - May 19 by Crawfordsboot

Sympathy Lagos - My first time out wearing clip ins I rode into a wide area of freshly laid deep shingle like infill. The bike came to a stop, sank down and I simply toppled sideways still clipped in. Inevitably my cycling mates thought it was hilarious.

Cheers.

But for the record this was not a numpty fall as you describe. Rather this was a high speed tumble from taking a bend at full pelters and coming a cropper due to gravel.

In comes with the territory as any top athlete knows, you only have to watch the TdF to see similar every year, especially on the high speed descents.

The slopes of Mount Bures are Suffolk's Mont Ventoux, twisty, windy and with the added risk of gravel...

Still, I now have one thing in common with Froome, Thomas, Armstrong etc. I know how much gravel rash still stings in the morning.

#hardcore

As an aside, anyone know where I can get some Johnson's baby cream?

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 08:25 - May 19 with 1159 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 08:10 - May 19 by bluelagos

Cheers.

But for the record this was not a numpty fall as you describe. Rather this was a high speed tumble from taking a bend at full pelters and coming a cropper due to gravel.

In comes with the territory as any top athlete knows, you only have to watch the TdF to see similar every year, especially on the high speed descents.

The slopes of Mount Bures are Suffolk's Mont Ventoux, twisty, windy and with the added risk of gravel...

Still, I now have one thing in common with Froome, Thomas, Armstrong etc. I know how much gravel rash still stings in the morning.

#hardcore

It is a mark of Miss Slave's character that as I have relayed your news she has not chuckled at all.....I on the other hand have been l.m.a.o.

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 08:29 - May 19 with 1152 viewsbluelagos

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 08:25 - May 19 by BanksterDebtSlave

It is a mark of Miss Slave's character that as I have relayed your news she has not chuckled at all.....I on the other hand have been l.m.a.o.

She is clearly too good for you mate and I trust I reclaim my spot as first reserve should she need an upgrade ;-)

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 09:01 - May 19 with 1140 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 08:29 - May 19 by bluelagos

She is clearly too good for you mate and I trust I reclaim my spot as first reserve should she need an upgrade ;-)

She says..."Do you have a beard?"
#sofickle
[Post edited 19 May 2020 9:02]

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 13:23 - May 19 with 1106 viewsWeWereZombies

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 08:10 - May 19 by bluelagos

Cheers.

#hardcore

It's an elaborate cover story worthy of Pecker but I think it's too late to hide the truth about who you really are:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52720147

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Public information for the novis cyclists -2 on 14:38 - May 19 with 1081 viewsElephantintheRoom

Try roads

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024