Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best 09:00 - May 19 with 7758 viewshype313

And I genuinely didn't know how to answer, first thought was no, but then thought about all the clubs he's played for and his achievements in the game and he must go down as a great, but for some reason I can't find myself putting him in the same bracket as Zidane, or Maradona, or Pele, or Ronaldo (both)

Strange one, I do wonder if his off field antics overshadowed his achievements.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:07 - May 19 with 4827 viewsSwailsey

I was thinking this about Owen the other day. He isn't looked back on fondly in any real sense, but he still played for some of the biggest clubs in the world, was largely successful and won the bd'o, yet there's definitely a feeling of untapped potential.

I wonder if it's just because they played for our national team, who in themselves haven't been that successful since 1990. We seem to do it a lot with players - Beckham, Kane, Owen, Rooney, Lampard. I don't think we're a fair judge of player, because we have in-house rivalries etc.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 9:10]

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:10 - May 19 with 4814 viewsSteve_M

Beckham isn't as good as those you list, but very few players are, but he had a very good career internationally and at club level and a (largely) consistent level of performance within that.

Yes, there was hyperbole but it shouldn't detract from his achievements. A very good player who also seemed to love the game.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:10 - May 19 with 4811 viewsN2_Blue

He was a very good player and all he achieved on the pitch was deserved, and a fantastic sporting role-model....but he was no where near the calibre of the players you mention.

I don't think off-field stuff overshadows what he did and his playing career. He is well thought of a player and scored some iconic goals ie v Wimbedon / Greece but doubt he'd even get in a top 50 of best players let alone the players you mention.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:15 - May 19 with 4779 viewsJakeITFC

A very good player in some very good teams but never truly in consideration as the world's best for a sustained period.

Does make you wonder how we underperformed so badly as an England team back then though - goalkeeper aside, we had world class quality in almost every position from 2002-06.
My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:16 - May 19 with 4775 viewsChiefXL

Beckham wasn't in the same category as Maradona, Pele, Ronaldo(s) or Messi.
But then neither was Zindane.

Ronaldhino on the other hand...
My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:18 - May 19 with 4754 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Beckham was an England Legend. Gave everything. Not in bracket of those players ability wise but was a hero for Utd and England and never had a bad game really.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:19 - May 19 with 4747 viewsStokieBlue

He was a good player and had a great career with some vital goals (as well as some silly mistakes).

However he can't be considered an all-time great when he was the 4th best midfielder in a midfield 4 at Man Utd.

Giggs - Keane - Scholes - Beckham

Quite some midfield.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:19 - May 19 with 4747 viewsgtsb1966

When people mention great players I'm always puzzled why Paul Scholes never gets a mention. He was a brilliant footballer.
Login to get fewer ads

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:19 - May 19 with 4741 viewshomer_123

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:07 - May 19 by Swailsey

I was thinking this about Owen the other day. He isn't looked back on fondly in any real sense, but he still played for some of the biggest clubs in the world, was largely successful and won the bd'o, yet there's definitely a feeling of untapped potential.

I wonder if it's just because they played for our national team, who in themselves haven't been that successful since 1990. We seem to do it a lot with players - Beckham, Kane, Owen, Rooney, Lampard. I don't think we're a fair judge of player, because we have in-house rivalries etc.

By his own admission he played within himself due to injury (or fear of) for pretty much most of his career.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:20 - May 19 with 4727 viewshomer_123

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:19 - May 19 by StokieBlue

He was a good player and had a great career with some vital goals (as well as some silly mistakes).

However he can't be considered an all-time great when he was the 4th best midfielder in a midfield 4 at Man Utd.

Giggs - Keane - Scholes - Beckham

Quite some midfield.

SB

His career vs ability outdoes all of those though.

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:20 - May 19 with 4730 viewsGlasgowBlue

Completely rescued Real Madrid’s faltering season when Capello brought him back into the team and they went on to win the league.

That says a lot about how good Beckham was.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:21 - May 19 with 4725 viewsJakeITFC

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:19 - May 19 by gtsb1966

When people mention great players I'm always puzzled why Paul Scholes never gets a mention. He was a brilliant footballer.

Since he has retired he has gained a sort of mythical status as a player.

He was good, but he was never in the conversation as the world's best during his career (whereas Lampard and Gerrard, for example, often were).
My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:22 - May 19 with 4707 viewsTerry_Nutkins

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:16 - May 19 by ChiefXL

Beckham wasn't in the same category as Maradona, Pele, Ronaldo(s) or Messi.
But then neither was Zindane.

Ronaldhino on the other hand...

Neither was Zidane?!! Zidane absolutely was! the finest central midfielder to ever play the game. Ronaldinho was class as well but Zidane would sit above Ronaldinho although hard to compare their roles really. Zidane would be in the debate for best player to ever play the game. He ultimately probably wouldn't win but he's in the conversation.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:23 - May 19 with 4698 viewshomer_123

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:21 - May 19 by JakeITFC

He was good, but he was never in the conversation as the world's best during his career (whereas Lampard and Gerrard, for example, often were).

Agreed but as I've said to SB below - if you look at Becks career versus his ability he did exceptionally well.

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:24 - May 19 with 4696 viewsStokieBlue

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:20 - May 19 by homer_123

His career vs ability outdoes all of those though.

What difference does that make? It certainly doesn't make one an all-time great.

He did amazingly well with what he had but he was still a "worse" player than those 3.

SB

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:24 - May 19 with 4694 viewsJakeITFC

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:23 - May 19 by homer_123

Agreed but as I've said to SB below - if you look at Becks career versus his ability he did exceptionally well.

Sorry, I was talking about Scholes.
My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:24 - May 19 with 4694 viewslinhdi

He was very, very good, but not one of the greats. I saw him at his very best a few times, incl that amazing Greece game, when he was like the good kid in the playground.

But he was too slow to be a great winger, had no left foot, couldn't tackle, couldn't head a ball, and was petulant.

And played for England for years after he was too far past his best, it seemed mostly because his personality sold tickets at Wembley. He was subbed off so many times - was it half of his appearances? It all became a bit of a circus.

Good player though!
My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:24 - May 19 with 4689 viewsStokieBlue

He gets mentioned all the time.

He's valued more outside of England.

SB
[Post edited 19 May 2020 9:26]

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:24 - May 19 with 4691 viewsPendejo

One of the best English players I'd say.

Where he lacked ability compared to the greats he made up in dedication, professionalism (most of the time), effort and application.

Have up on Team England when he thought they'd given up on him and still managed a few more games.

Had taken what he's got and maximised it. I have a huge respect for him overall.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:24 - May 19 with 4686 viewsvapour_trail

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:07 - May 19 by Swailsey

As with Owen, Beckham had a period of a few years when he was one of the best players in the world.

Not a great of the game though.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:26 - May 19 with 4677 viewsStokieBlue

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:21 - May 19 by JakeITFC

This really isn't true.

Outside of England where they could see past the Lampard/Gerrard argument I think most players thought he should be in the England side ahead of both of them.

A quote from Xavi:

"In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen - the most complete - is Scholes," Xavi said. "I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything.

"He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn't give possession away. If he had been Spanish, then maybe he would have been valued more."

SB

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:26 - May 19 with 4671 viewshomer_123

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:24 - May 19 by StokieBlue

What difference does that make? It certainly doesn't make one an all-time great.

He did amazingly well with what he had but he was still a "worse" player than those 3.

SB

Merely an observation.

Many more talented players never achieved what Beckham did. I find it interesting that this is not factored in when consider the worlds best player, that's all.

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:28 - May 19 with 4664 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yes, truly superb. Although he does get a lot of mentions.

As for Beckham, yes I think he was one of the best for England at least. Not a world great in the same sense as Pele or Maradona, but one of England's greatest players nonetheless.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 9:30]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:29 - May 19 with 4655 viewsJakeITFC

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:26 - May 19 by StokieBlue

This really isn't true.

Outside of England where they could see past the Lampard/Gerrard argument I think most players thought he should be in the England side ahead of both of them.

A quote from Xavi:

"In the last 15 to 20 years the best central midfielder that I have seen - the most complete - is Scholes," Xavi said. "I have spoken with Xabi Alonso about this many times. Scholes is a spectacular player who has everything.

"He can play the final pass, he can score, he is strong, he never gets knocked off the ball and he doesn't give possession away. If he had been Spanish, then maybe he would have been valued more."

SB

Weird that he didn't receive a single vote for the ballon d'Or during his career.
My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:33 - May 19 with 4644 viewsdavblue

My wife just asked if Beckham was one of the best on 09:24 - May 19 by Pendejo

One of the best English players I'd say.

Where he lacked ability compared to the greats he made up in dedication, professionalism (most of the time), effort and application.

Have up on Team England when he thought they'd given up on him and still managed a few more games.

Had taken what he's got and maximised it. I have a huge respect for him overall.

On the pitch i liked him but off the pitch i think it's all an act that was geared certainly in the last years towards getting him a Knighthood which i find a bit unsavoury almost like him and his advisers were doing it via a checklist.

When it should be for doing something outstanding or a contribution over a number of years to something very worthwhile.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024