Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us 10:50 - May 19 with 12029 viewsportmanking

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/peterboro

Basically saying that there is a growing appetite among League 1 teams to end the season now, avoid weighted PPG or non-weighted PPG and go straight into an eight-team playoff with the 3rd to 10th placed teams as is.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 10:54 - May 19 with 3677 viewsDubtractor

I'd love it if somehow we managed to fluke going up out of this shambles of a season, but crikey that would be a bit of a bizarre way to do it. i'd be fuming if I was anything to do with Gillingham!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 10:56 - May 19 with 3656 viewsportmanking

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 10:54 - May 19 by Dubtractor

I'd love it if somehow we managed to fluke going up out of this shambles of a season, but crikey that would be a bit of a bizarre way to do it. i'd be fuming if I was anything to do with Gillingham!

Looking at the table, only Gillingham could take umbrage with this. However, do Gillingham have deep enough pockets to stage playoff games and undertake testing etc? There are always going to be winners and losers in this situation. Just not sure whether enough clubs would vote for such a playoff system.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 10:56 - May 19 with 3643 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

By growing appetite amongst League One teams he means that the big boys are throwing their weight around

Obviously I want what’s best for us but us shoehorning our way into an expanded playoff that shouldn’t exist, and even then we have no right to be in, is f*cking embarrassing quite frankly

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 10:57 - May 19 with 3643 viewsFixed_It

There is actually some sense in what he says, in that any Points Per Game formula would inherently be unfair, and that by widening the play-off 'net' no-one can really feel too hard done by.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

If we get involved in any sort of..... on 10:57 - May 19 with 3629 viewsBloots

….end of season play off it will be one of the biggest injustices in football and completely destroy the very little shred of integrity left in the game.

An utter embarrassment.

Lambert out.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

If we get involved in any sort of..... on 10:59 - May 19 with 3610 viewsFixed_It

If we get involved in any sort of..... on 10:57 - May 19 by Bloots

….end of season play off it will be one of the biggest injustices in football and completely destroy the very little shred of integrity left in the game.

An utter embarrassment.

Lambert out.

If we had been a mid-table team all season you might havbe a point. But we haven't.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

If we get involved in any sort of..... on 10:59 - May 19 with 3609 viewsportmanking

An utter embarrassment.

Lambert out.

As Fixed_It says though, by widening the net of a League 1 playoff, you are catering for the vast majority of permutations still remaining in the season.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:00 - May 19 with 3606 viewsChutney

Lets be honest, we'll have our arses handed to us Peterborough anyway.

The only benefit I see of the season being concluded is that it hopefully might trigger some clause to get rid of Shambert.
Login to get fewer ads

If we get involved in any sort of..... on 11:00 - May 19 with 3600 viewsGeoffSentence

An utter embarrassment.

Lambert out.

As we have been utterly sht against anyone half decent this season anyway, it is just a couple more abject failures to endure.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:01 - May 19 with 3598 viewsChrisd

On the face of it, it's an absolute joke. It's bad enough that a team that finished 6th can get promoted via the play offs, but in our case in our current position it's laughable. Naturally, if this goes ahead and we get promoted fantastic, but we are so far short of being remotely competitive for the Championship that would be ME and PL's next concern on how to bridge that quality gap.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:01 - May 19 with 3596 viewsportmanking

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:00 - May 19 by Chutney

Lets be honest, we'll have our arses handed to us Peterborough anyway.

The only benefit I see of the season being concluded is that it hopefully might trigger some clause to get rid of Shambert.

I'd be interested to see how they did an 8-team playoff?

Would we be pitched against the 3rd place team first? Or would it be an initial playoff involving teams 7th to 10th?
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:01 - May 19 with 3590 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 10:57 - May 19 by Fixed_It

There is actually some sense in what he says, in that any Points Per Game formula would inherently be unfair, and that by widening the play-off 'net' no-one can really feel too hard done by.

Any option that doesn’t finish the season will be unfair on someone. However surely basing the standings on PPG is far less unfair, than basing on the total points attained so far where some teams have played more games and had more opportunities to gain those points?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:02 - May 19 with 3589 viewsm14_blue

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 10:56 - May 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

By growing appetite amongst League One teams he means that the big boys are throwing their weight around

Obviously I want what’s best for us but us shoehorning our way into an expanded playoff that shouldn’t exist, and even then we have no right to be in, is f*cking embarrassing quite frankly

Yep, we don’t deserve to go up or even have a shot at it (we wouldn’t win it anyway).

Where would the pleasure be in scumming our way up like this, particularly in empty stadiums.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:03 - May 19 with 3582 viewsSitfcB

If that happened and we went up, if you think I’d celebrate that then you’d be absolutely right!

#COYB

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:04 - May 19 with 3560 viewsportmanking

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:01 - May 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Any option that doesn’t finish the season will be unfair on someone. However surely basing the standings on PPG is far less unfair, than basing on the total points attained so far where some teams have played more games and had more opportunities to gain those points?

But you could draw the line at the top 10 and say only Gillingham could argue the fairness of the top 10 being the genuine top 10. Whether Gillingham have the finances or appetite to compete in this playoff would be a big question mark too. Burton are 4 pts behind us with only one game in-hand.

I don't know, it's a weird situation but I guess it's the fairest way of allowing teams to battle it out on the field rather than using raw data.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:04 - May 19 with 3559 viewsgainsboroughblue

Typical self-interested proposal from the Posh one.

As much as I would like to see us go up in any way shape or from, it would be the hollowest, most embarrassing manner in which to achieve it.

On the flip side, anything that galls Steve Evans can't be dismissed too readily.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:06 - May 19 with 3550 viewsportmanking

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:04 - May 19 by gainsboroughblue

Typical self-interested proposal from the Posh one.

As much as I would like to see us go up in any way shape or from, it would be the hollowest, most embarrassing manner in which to achieve it.

On the flip side, anything that galls Steve Evans can't be dismissed too readily.

On your last point - that's my primary reason for wanting us to sneak in the back door. It would be much more palatable knowing we've prevented Steve Evans' career from being upwardly mobile.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:06 - May 19 with 3540 viewstractorboy1978

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:01 - May 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

All I know is that we deserve to be nowhere near a chance to get promoted and it would be a complete embarrassment if we are seriously pushing this. I don't know what enjoyment I could get out of us being promoted in this manner.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:07 - May 19 with 3535 viewsLankHenners

It would be incredibly stupid, embarrassing but also very funny if we ended up involved in this. We'd still get knocked out by whoever we get first so we'll have justice delivered our way.

It would be a tragedy if we did go up - we've wasted a whole season to get ready for that eventuality and imagine we'd come straight back down with more of a bump than we did last time.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:08 - May 19 with 3528 viewsSomethingBlue

I would be astonished, and I would expect Paul Scally to blow a gasket.

But I'd also take it, because we've come out the wrong side of pretty much everything else over the past decade and a half.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:08 - May 19 with 3524 viewsportmanking

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:06 - May 19 by tractorboy1978

All I know is that we deserve to be nowhere near a chance to get promoted and it would be a complete embarrassment if we are seriously pushing this. I don't know what enjoyment I could get out of us being promoted in this manner.

So if we were to prevail and win 4-5 games in a row in a playoff scenario against all the teams that have been around us in the promotion mix thus far, we wouldn't have deserved it? If resuming the season in its normal state is impossible, this has to be fairest way to settle it on the pitch surely? However strange it may be.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:09 - May 19 with 3495 viewsportmanking

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:08 - May 19 by SomethingBlue

I would be astonished, and I would expect Paul Scally to blow a gasket.

But I'd also take it, because we've come out the wrong side of pretty much everything else over the past decade and a half.

What are the Gills' finances like? Does Scally have 500k+ behind the sofa that could cover staging these games? Genuine question, as I don't know much about their setup these days.
So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:10 - May 19 with 3483 viewsGarv

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:04 - May 19 by portmanking

But you could draw the line at the top 10 and say only Gillingham could argue the fairness of the top 10 being the genuine top 10. Whether Gillingham have the finances or appetite to compete in this playoff would be a big question mark too. Burton are 4 pts behind us with only one game in-hand.

I don't know, it's a weird situation but I guess it's the fairest way of allowing teams to battle it out on the field rather than using raw data.

5 point behind with two games in hand, no?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:11 - May 19 with 3473 viewsGuthrum

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:08 - May 19 by portmanking

So if we were to prevail and win 4-5 games in a row in a playoff scenario against all the teams that have been around us in the promotion mix thus far, we wouldn't have deserved it? If resuming the season in its normal state is impossible, this has to be fairest way to settle it on the pitch surely? However strange it may be.

If we won such a play-off, then we would deserve our place, yes. But that kind of shenanigans is very arbitrary*, has no precedent and shouldn't really exist in the first place.

* Why take it down to 10th place, when the lowest two of those are some way behind on points? 3rd to 8th would make more sense.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So Posh co-owner suggesting 8-team playoff WOULD involve us on 11:12 - May 19 with 3467 viewsLibero

If this happened and we went up it would be the most tinpot thing in the clubs history.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024