Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Troy Deeney 12:34 - May 19 with 3039 viewsgtsb1966

Reading this it's hard to argue against it. I think the last paragraph sums it up perfectly.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52721397
Troy Deeney on 12:39 - May 19 with 3004 viewsEdwardStone

I have a lot of respect for him....and he makes a lot of sense

He is one of those rare players that just seem to embody their club

Cut him and he bleeds hornet juice
Troy Deeney on 12:43 - May 19 with 2982 viewsMattinLondon

Troy Deeney on 12:39 - May 19 by EdwardStone

Troy Deeney on 12:49 - May 19 with 2952 viewsMr_J

An honourable stance.

I still think he's a bellend though.
Troy Deeney on 12:50 - May 19 with 2956 viewssparks

I get it- and he has some individual circumstances which make the position difficult to disagree with.

What players generally might need to note though, is that most people are now being urged or required to return to work- unless they can work from home. Shop staff, admin people, etc etc. Normal non key jobs on modest pay- and far greater risks than are posed by playing football.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Troy Deeney on 12:54 - May 19 with 2927 viewsLankHenners

Troy Deeney on 12:50 - May 19 by sparks

I get it- and he has some individual circumstances which make the position difficult to disagree with.

What players generally might need to note though, is that most people are now being urged or required to return to work- unless they can work from home. Shop staff, admin people, etc etc. Normal non key jobs on modest pay- and far greater risks than are posed by playing football.

Sure he knows that - he's just speaking about his personal situation having been asked about it. He shouldn't have to add a big asterisk on every time.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Troy Deeney on 13:03 - May 19 with 2886 viewsGuthrum

Altho the return to work is still subject to social distancing. Shops have installed screens and partitions to protect staff, sometimes providing PPE as well. Football requires, of necessity, close physical contact with people who are exerting themselves and thus breathing hard, having little scope for protective equipment (you can't run around for 90 minutes wearing a mask).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Troy Deeney on 13:11 - May 19 with 2850 viewsBasuco

Troy Deeney on 12:39 - May 19 by EdwardStone

I would add that he is proof that a prison term can make a better person, one mistake does not make you a bad person for ever more. I also have a huge amount of respect for him.
Troy Deeney on 13:23 - May 19 with 2826 viewsSwansea_Blue

I don't see why the BAME issue is relevant. Isn't the greater incidence in BAME people simply due to a disproportionately high number working in the NHS? I wouldn't have thought those in a squad would be any more likely to catch it or suffer severely than their white team mates. Unless I've missed some defining research that shows BAME people are more at risk.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Troy Deeney on 13:32 - May 19 with 2789 viewsm14_blue

But that is only where their employers can put in place social distancing measures.

Not only is that not the case with football, it’s the complete opposite, their work will require physical contact.
Troy Deeney on 13:43 - May 19 with 2759 viewsRadlett_blue

Troy Deeney on 13:23 - May 19 by Swansea_Blue

I don't see why the BAME issue is relevant. Isn't the greater incidence in BAME people simply due to a disproportionately high number working in the NHS? I wouldn't have thought those in a squad would be any more likely to catch it or suffer severely than their white team mates. Unless I've missed some defining research that shows BAME people are more at risk.

The higher incidence among BAME people is almost certainly related to income & living & working conditions rather than ethnicity.
I would have some respect for Deeney's position if he said "We don't want to play until it's safe, but we're happy to forgo our salary until that time".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Troy Deeney on 14:04 - May 19 with 2701 viewssparks

Troy Deeney on 13:03 - May 19 by Guthrum

Altho the return to work is still subject to social distancing. Shops have installed screens and partitions to protect staff, sometimes providing PPE as well. Football requires, of necessity, close physical contact with people who are exerting themselves and thus breathing hard, having little scope for protective equipment (you can't run around for 90 minutes wearing a mask).

The contact is with people also getting very regular testing.

People at work, frankly, are unable to distance as required in many cases, and certainly dont get that support or care.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Troy Deeney on 14:05 - May 19 with 2696 viewssparks

Troy Deeney on 13:43 - May 19 by Radlett_blue

The higher incidence among BAME people is almost certainly related to income & living & working conditions rather than ethnicity.
I would have some respect for Deeney's position if he said "We don't want to play until it's safe, but we're happy to forgo our salary until that time".

I dont think you can say that- there are a number of factors, ethnicity could easily be one of them. they dont know with certainty.

Troy Deeney on 14:12 - May 19 with 2668 viewsMullet

There's a social element, but also potentially a medical element. A lot of Doctors are noting that it attacks haemoglobin and affects the blood and blood supply to organs not just the lungs.

If you factor in say sickle cell, it's possible there's a two-pronged threat/effect in this scenario. Far too early to say conclusively. But I'd be surprised if it wasn't both on some level.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Troy Deeney on 15:02 - May 19 with 2609 viewsBlueBadger

There's a suggestion that resistance to covid-19 is linked to Vitamin D production. As a rule, the darker the skin, the slower you produce vitamin D.

https://www.connecthealth.co.uk/blog/coronavirus-severity-the-sun-lifestyle-and-

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Troy Deeney on 16:12 - May 19 with 2539 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ah, so there may be a physiological issue with BAME folks then, not just social or due to large numbers in the NHS.

I don't now that. TWTD to the rescue again.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Troy Deeney on 17:27 - May 19 with 2460 viewsBlueBadger

Troy Deeney on 13:03 - May 19 by Guthrum

We'll be alright at ITFC. We hadn't been near another team for WEEKS when lockdown happened, so we'll be well practised.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Troy Deeney on 09:01 - May 20 with 2301 viewsIPSWICHFANITFC

I stopped reading at

"Deeney does not want to put his baby, who has had breathing difficulties, "in more danger" - I completely understand.

Whilst it would be safe for him given Premier League facilities etc, and I'm sure Deeney himself would go back and play football, it's potentially bringing something back to the household and family members. I don't blame him for not wanting to put his kid in any potential danger.

Poll: If selling Jackson meant getting in a wide man, would you be happy with Garbutt?

Troy Deeney on 09:49 - May 20 with 2269 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Credit to him for speaking out and doing it right.

Especially so given the news this morning that Watford had three coronavirus cases. One player and two staff members test positive from the tests they carried out on Monday.
[Post edited 20 May 2020 9:50]

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Troy Deeney on 10:20 - May 20 with 2234 viewsflimflam

Troy Deeney on 13:23 - May 19 by Swansea_Blue

Not sure thats the case as 80% working in NHS are white as opposed to 81% of the UK population who are white.

A lot of research is being put into blood types and vitamin D putting BAME in a higher risk group.

Also, and this is my take and may be wrong, a high percentage of BAME will live in urban areas so being able to social distance may prove more difficult.
[Post edited 20 May 2020 11:27]

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Troy Deeney on 11:20 - May 20 with 2208 viewsbracknell_blue

Troy Deeney on 15:02 - May 19 by BlueBadger

There's a suggestion that resistance to covid-19 is linked to Vitamin D production. As a rule, the darker the skin, the slower you produce vitamin D.

https://www.connecthealth.co.uk/blog/coronavirus-severity-the-sun-lifestyle-and-

I remember about 10 years ago being involved in a project at work to produce a reference standard for vitam in D precursor so all hospital measurements could be standardised. Our research into the viability of this project was based around a significant increase of conditions related to vitamnin D deficiency particularly amongst females in mainly muslim areas of our cities. Not a racist (or cultural) thing, a medical observation that face coverings affect Vit D production, and link this with not going outside very much........

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024