Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Milk crates 16:17 - May 19 with 4556 viewstonydinning

Did children really used to take milk crates to matches to stand on or is this a bit of tongue in cheek rose tinted spectacles?

It's always amused me when people bring it up in memories of yesteryear.

Poll: Is it time to rotate keepers and give Walton his spot back?

Milk crates on 16:19 - May 19 with 2591 viewsblueislander

No.It is perfectly true.
Milk crates on 16:19 - May 19 with 2588 viewsSwansea_Blue

I did. Had a blue one. You had no way of seeing otherwise unless you got to the front or could sit on one of those big metal crowd bars dotted around the stand.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 16:21]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Milk crates on 16:23 - May 19 with 2564 viewsSteve_M

Milk crates on 16:19 - May 19 by blueislander

No.It is perfectly true.

Indeed, it was only all-seater grounds that changed that.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Milk crates on 16:26 - May 19 with 2562 viewsblueislander

Milk crates on 16:19 - May 19 by Swansea_Blue

I did. Had a blue one. You had no way of seeing otherwise unless you got to the front or could sit on one of those big metal crowd bars dotted around the stand.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 16:21]

To get a place at the front against the wall, you had to be there by 1.30. If you were at the front, and there was a really big crowd you would be lifted over to sit on the grass.TWTD.
Milk crates on 16:29 - May 19 with 2541 viewsGlasgowBlue

Yep. When I was five or six my dad made a wooden box for me to stand on.

I remember when I was seven or eight my dad would be at the back of the stand and he’d ask the bloke in Front to “pass the boy down” which everybody did until I was at the wall right at the front.

Wouldn’t see the old man for the entire 90 minutes.

Oh and it’s also true that people used to piss down the back of your leg during the game. That happened twice from recollection.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Milk crates on 16:33 - May 19 with 2541 viewshoppy

Yep... my first experiences of watching town was in Churchmans, we'd get there early enough so we could put it behind one of the yellow crush barriers so I could stand on the crate and lean on that.
When we needed to take a piss, towards the end of the stand underneath what is now called the Cobbold was the "gents loo's" - basically a fairly open space where you could pee up against some corrugated iron, if I recall correctly?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Milk crates on 16:37 - May 19 with 2531 viewslinhdi

Many took home-made crates. Mrs Linhdi's is in the garage, unused for over 50 years but still much loved!
Milk crates on 16:39 - May 19 with 2524 viewshoppy

Milk crates on 16:37 - May 19 by linhdi

Many took home-made crates. Mrs Linhdi's is in the garage, unused for over 50 years but still much loved!

The crate, you mean?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

Milk crates on 16:45 - May 19 with 2506 viewsFixed_It

Milk crates on 16:37 - May 19 by linhdi

Maybe she could take it to away matches?!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Milk crates on 16:46 - May 19 with 2502 viewsjontysnut

yes - I had a wooden stool and used to stand at the back of the old East stand paddock before migrating to Churchmans and a prime position over one of the exits which was almost as hard to gain access to as the Masons

Anyone still got a home made Witches programme board?
Milk crates on 16:46 - May 19 with 2503 viewsSwansea_Blue

Milk crates on 16:33 - May 19 by hoppy

Yep... my first experiences of watching town was in Churchmans, we'd get there early enough so we could put it behind one of the yellow crush barriers so I could stand on the crate and lean on that.
When we needed to take a piss, towards the end of the stand underneath what is now called the Cobbold was the "gents loo's" - basically a fairly open space where you could pee up against some corrugated iron, if I recall correctly?

Yep, I remember the stinky 'bogs'. We used to go in to Churchmans when I first started going around 78-80. I started in the West Stand and moved into Churchmans when I was about 8. It felt like becoming a real fan lol.

Milk crates on 16:46 - May 19 with 2502 viewsFixed_It

Milk crates on 16:26 - May 19 by blueislander

To get a place at the front against the wall, you had to be there by 1.30. If you were at the front, and there was a really big crowd you would be lifted over to sit on the grass.TWTD.

TWindeedTD

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Milk crates on 16:49 - May 19 with 2498 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Milk crate? Nah - I always took one of these to stand on, instead...

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Milk crates on 16:51 - May 19 with 2494 viewsSwansea_Blue

Milk crates on 16:49 - May 19 by BasingstokeBlue

Milk crate? Nah - I always took one of these to stand on, instead...

Bet you didn't see much, it's upside down buh

Milk crates on 16:56 - May 19 with 2481 viewsStokieBlue

I used to stand on one although from memory that changed when I discovered I could sit/perch on the railings on the east side of Churchmans in the exposed corner section.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Milk crates on 16:58 - May 19 with 2479 viewsITFC_Forever

Yep, can remember asking our milkman to borrow one on numerous occaisions.

After while, he just let me keep it.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Milk crates on 17:08 - May 19 with 2461 viewsIllinoisblue

Milk crates on 16:58 - May 19 by ITFC_Forever

Yep, can remember asking our milkman to borrow one on numerous occaisions.

After while, he just let me keep it.

Are Milkmen still a thing? Mad to think they would leave milk on your doorstep in summer and it might sit there for a few hours and cream up. Way ahead of its time with regard to recycling though.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Milk crates on 17:17 - May 19 with 2447 viewsSwansea_Blue

Milk crates on 17:08 - May 19 by Illinoisblue

Are Milkmen still a thing? Mad to think they would leave milk on your doorstep in summer and it might sit there for a few hours and cream up. Way ahead of its time with regard to recycling though.

Yep. We still use one as it's a local company and they still use the same glass bottles they always have rather than one use plastic.

They don't have the electric carts any more though - he's got a noisy diesel, but is pretty quiet nonetheless.

It's been really useful during the lockdown as they deliver a load of other stuff too - not the widest range, but great for getting staples regularly. Between them and the local farm shop for fruit./veg, we've only needed 1 supermarket shop since lockdown began.

Milk crates on 17:24 - May 19 with 2425 viewsPinewoodblue

Milk crates on 17:17 - May 19 by Swansea_Blue

Yep. We still use one as it's a local company and they still use the same glass bottles they always have rather than one use plastic.

They don't have the electric carts any more though - he's got a noisy diesel, but is pretty quiet nonetheless.

It's been really useful during the lockdown as they deliver a load of other stuff too - not the widest range, but great for getting staples regularly. Between them and the local farm shop for fruit./veg, we've only needed 1 supermarket shop since lockdown began.

Same here but they only deliver 3 days a week, think it is a franchise operation.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Milk crates on 17:28 - May 19 with 2421 viewsITFC_Forever

Milk crates on 17:08 - May 19 by Illinoisblue

They still exist, but at a fraction of the level they did back in the day.

My uncle was a milkman in Bristol, whenever we were down there staying, I used to love going and helping him with his round.

Wouldn't be allowed now, Health & Safety would have a field day - unauthorised person, under 16 riding on the milk float etc.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Milk crates on 17:29 - May 19 with 2416 viewsNBVJohn

I had a wooden toolbox used by my Dad during the week and emptied out on a Saturday morning for me to stand on.

We were in the ground for 1.30pm and you did your best not to need a pee until full time because you’d lose your place at the front.

I too also remember the evil bogs (no other word does them justice) in Churchmans. Many years after dispensing with my wooden box, someone dropped a Richter scale registering fart in there at halftime and there was a crush to get out, with many a wet leg and flies being hastily fastened as we made our way back to the stand. TWTD.
Milk crates on 17:52 - May 19 with 2378 viewssw20tractor

I always remember standing on 2 crates with my cousin at Carrow rd in the milk cup semi. Shielded by my father and uncle but it was pointless due to the Relentless crowd surges. Probably spent about 5 minutes watching the game, which in hindsight wasn’t a bad thing.
Milk crates on 18:01 - May 19 with 2356 viewsleitrimblue

Milk crates on 16:46 - May 19 by Swansea_Blue

Yep, I remember the stinky 'bogs'. We used to go in to Churchmans when I first started going around 78-80. I started in the West Stand and moved into Churchmans when I was about 8. It felt like becoming a real fan lol.

Was also part of the blue milk crate West stand massive mid to late 70,s before graduating to the churchmans
Milk crates on 18:09 - May 19 with 2333 viewsIllinoisblue

Milk crates on 17:28 - May 19 by ITFC_Forever

They still exist, but at a fraction of the level they did back in the day.

My uncle was a milkman in Bristol, whenever we were down there staying, I used to love going and helping him with his round.

Wouldn't be allowed now, Health & Safety would have a field day - unauthorised person, under 16 riding on the milk float etc.

I once tried explaining the concept to a work colleague and they were totally baffled.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Milk crates on 18:11 - May 19 with 2321 viewsdavblue

my grandad had a mini wooden stool that my dad used and I used it also, otherwise before seating I would never have seen anything in churchmans.

I struggled with the stool tbh!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024