Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Government is getting this wrong pt 20,725 and twelvty thousands 18:05 - May 19 with 1256 viewsSwansea_Blue

For anyone following the latest update of the Govt's response to Covid-19:

I guess if you come out swinging blaming the scientists, like Suffolk's own Theresa Coffee did this morning, you're going to get a bit of kick back...

(Angela McClean is Chief Scientific Adviser for the MoD. These daily updates are fascinating, but sadly only for getting an idea of the politics going on rather than anything useful for keeping us safe).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Government is getting this wrong pt 20,725 and twelvty thousands on 18:11 - May 19 with 1232 viewsm14_blue

She also made a point of saying that the scientific advice on testing was restricted by the actual capacity.

Which rather puts a different complexion on ‘following the science’.
The Government is getting this wrong pt 20,725 and twelvty thousands on 18:14 - May 19 with 1219 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Government is getting this wrong pt 20,725 and twelvty thousands on 18:11 - May 19 by m14_blue

She also made a point of saying that the scientific advice on testing was restricted by the actual capacity.

Which rather puts a different complexion on ‘following the science’.

I can't help but feel they've never followed the science - they've just put a couple of scientists infront of a microphone and said 'listen to them'. Two very different things.

The Government is getting this wrong pt 20,725 and twelvty thousands on 18:15 - May 19 with 1212 viewsBlueBadger

The Government is getting this wrong pt 20,725 and twelvty thousands on 18:14 - May 19 by Swansea_Blue

I can't help but feel they've never followed the science - they've just put a couple of scientists infront of a microphone and said 'listen to them'. Two very different things.

What we've been seeing is policy-based evidence, rather than evidence-based policy.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Government is getting this wrong pt 20,725 and twelvty thousands on 18:33 - May 19 with 1186 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Government is getting this wrong pt 20,725 and twelvty thousands on 18:15 - May 19 by BlueBadger

What we've been seeing is policy-based evidence, rather than evidence-based policy.

you should have mentioned this before .

I think you could well be right. The alarms bells started to ring here when pretty much the whole scientific community came out and said 'wtf are you doing?'. That was a heavy hint.

The Government is getting this wrong pt 20,725 and twelvty thousands on 20:20 - May 19 with 1124 viewsjimmyvet

The Government is getting this wrong pt 20,725 and twelvty thousands on 18:33 - May 19 by Swansea_Blue

you should have mentioned this before .

I think you could well be right. The alarms bells started to ring here when pretty much the whole scientific community came out and said 'wtf are you doing?'. That was a heavy hint.

I note in Wales you have a Labour run administration and your very proud and bullish of that. How is Wales doing compared to the rest of the Uk in terms of testing and other data like cases and sadly deaths. I guess really well compared to say England based on your constant daily criticism of Johnson’s administration. From memory the Labour welsh administration had a target of 5k tests a day have they achieved this do you know ?
The Government is getting this wrong pt 20,725 and twelvty thousands on 21:12 - May 19 with 1083 viewsSwansea_Blue

The Government is getting this wrong pt 20,725 and twelvty thousands on 20:20 - May 19 by jimmyvet

I note in Wales you have a Labour run administration and your very proud and bullish of that. How is Wales doing compared to the rest of the Uk in terms of testing and other data like cases and sadly deaths. I guess really well compared to say England based on your constant daily criticism of Johnson’s administration. From memory the Labour welsh administration had a target of 5k tests a day have they achieved this do you know ?

I'm not proud of them, as I'm not a rabid supporter of the Welsh Government or any political party. But they do seem more grown up than Westminster, if a bit more parochial and unable to respond as quickly on some things..

But as you asked so nicely, they're not meeting testing targets the same as the rest of the UK. The WG have apologised and explained why, but I don't believe they're telling barefaced lies about it every day. We've been excluded from PPE procurement exercises, so have struggled on that too.

The beter news is that our death rate is considerably lower than most regions in England, thankfully, so far the hospitals are coping fairly easy. Care home deaths have been the lowest for any UK region too, although I'm not sure if that's by design or luck, I suspect the latter as we have lower incidences in the community as a whole. We haven't been hit by the same care home scandal that's broken in England though.

We were the first UK nation to move it's parliament to online meetings and have a cross-party arrangement for dealing with decisions, with votes apportioned as per the makeup of the AM seats in the parliament.

The big difference for most of us over here is that we've had much clearer communication about rules around lockdown, and they seem much more cautious about making decisions ensuring they are grounded in evidence. So we didn't join in with the mass VE 'let's spread Covid' celebrations, and we're still in full lockdown looking on bemusedly at what's happening in England (although we are allowed two exercise sessions now, as long as we do them from home and don't drive anywhere for them). Oh, and they're not happy that there's sufficient evidence to reopen schools yet, so that won't happen as early as in England. But with much of this we're tied or strongly linked to England (e.g around preventing incoming cases we have no control as immigration is a UK govt Home Office issue).

Based purely on the approach and current outcomes, I'd rather be here at the moment tbh irrespective of the colour of government. Not that that's a particularly high benchmark. I'd much rather be in New Zealand.

Edit - forgot to mention that you're not strictly correct in it being a Labour administration. It's actually a coalition, although only 2 of the 14 AMs and Deputy AMs are from other parties. Coalitions are the norm here and they seem more able to work together as a result.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 21:21]

The Government is getting this wrong pt 20,725 and twelvty thousands on 21:45 - May 19 with 1054 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The Government is getting this wrong pt 20,725 and twelvty thousands on 20:20 - May 19 by jimmyvet

It's all gone quiet....all gone quiet over there!
[Post edited 19 May 2020 21:46]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

The Government is getting this wrong pt 20,725 and twelvty thousands on 10:04 - May 20 with 925 viewsfactual_blue

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024