Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Reasons to be cheerful 10:25 - May 22 with 6365 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Assuming next season goes ahead....I think we have to expect we lose:

Rowe (gone and doubt new terms)
Roberts (as above)
Keane (Gone but i think reasonable chance we'll offer reduced terms - he'll end up champ i think)
Woolf (Can't see us holding on)
Downes (Same as Woolf)
Garbutt (Can't see him signing now. wages will be beyond us)

So we'll have to sign a CB which is a worry but if we can get that right then the below still keeps me really interested and excited about next season:

Lankester (will be like a high quality new signing)
El Mizouni (Gained some good experience and should be his breakthrough year as fully fledged first teamer)
Dobra (Similar to El Mizouni - I think regular sub and transitioning into first team. Maybe 20-25 appearances with impact)
Teddy Bish (Fully fit Bish is just a class act. Lets see but he's gradually getting there and I think a good chance we'll see more of him.
Huws (Season under his belt. Mixed bag but after 2 years out no huge suprise. Class act and he will be better for what is back in his legs).
Dozzell - Make or break year. Downes opens.the door. We know he has ability.
McGavin - Could be a big bonus. Downes going could also open door for him.
Kane VY - Back and fully fit. Massive difference
Norwood - Fully fit. He struggled with that groin and still would probably have been around the 15 goal mark in full season. If he's fit he'll score.
Sears - Fully fit. Still useful in this division. Not the future but excellent squad player in L1.
Nydam - Lets see but if he is fully fit maybe he can be a bonus free LB. Versatile and decent. A possible bonus for us.

Folami/Morris - If Keane doesn't return then they have more of a pathway. Feels like they may be a little way off some of the above but maybe in pre-season they can grab a chance. Drinnan maybe the same...

This maybe classic optimism of a football fan...but still excites me that we have these boys coming through and that they will have an opportunity here.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Reasons to be cheerful on 10:29 - May 22 with 3982 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Classic optimism of a fan I am afraid.

No reason to be cheerful when Woolfenden and Downes leave in the summer.

We won't sign a CB or anyone for that matter, this will leave us with: Chambers, Nsiala, Wilson - dear oh dear

I like the idea of Lankester, El Mizouni, Dobra - that is a reason to be cheerful.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Reasons to be cheerful on 10:31 - May 22 with 3966 viewsBlueBadger

If we're REALLY lucky, we'll lose Lambert before we lose all those.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Reasons to be cheerful on 10:36 - May 22 with 3943 viewsKieran_Knows

I wish I could be cheerful about us. Everything is just a bit 'meh' at the minute.

Downes and Woolfenden (and I suspect Dozzell), will be sold for a fraction of what they're actually worth. I don't think we'll sign anyone to be honest, and I suspect we'll rely heavily on players returning from injury and those academy lads who have been in and around the first team this season to plug holes (McGavin, Dobra, El Mizouni when he was here).

The fact that Donacien, Nsiala and Kenlock could all become key players is quite a shuddering thought.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Reasons to be cheerful on 10:47 - May 22 with 3917 viewsIpswichKnight

I think we can keep Woolfy, suspect most of the clubs interested will wait another season some might try it now but don't think they will offer near our valuation ( remember we have turned down bids for Dobra already which were no where near our valuation ). I can not see Downes starting next season with us.

We have some class coming through and have some proper talent out wide and in the number 10 position, what we need however is another striker as I fear we have raft of non-scoring strikers, Keane, Folami and Morris have never been prolific at ant level. If we lose Jackson we are very very short of actual goals up front....again.

Dozzell is interesting he has talent but to fit him in we need to forgo creativity at the number 10 as otherwise we become very very lightweight in midfield and were nowhere near streetwise enough at this level to carry Dobra, Lankester, El Mizouni and Dozzell, if we are going to play 4-3-3 which I think suits us best we can't play Dozzell as the central midfielder we'd be over-run, it would have to be more of a 4-2-1-3 to get the cover in midfield I'd be looking at Huws and a streetwise battler from another L1 club for our midfield for that.
Reasons to be cheerful on 10:49 - May 22 with 3911 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Reasons to be cheerful on 10:31 - May 22 by BlueBadger

If we're REALLY lucky, we'll lose Lambert before we lose all those.

Yes this post is not a Lambert one. Find one of Bluefish's 10,000 posts for that.

Reasons to be cheerful on 10:50 - May 22 with 3902 viewsSWGF

The juice of a carrot, the smile of a parrot, a little drop of claret, anything that rocks

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Reasons to be cheerful on 10:55 - May 22 with 3897 viewsfactual_blue

Hammersmith Palais, the Bolshoi Ballet
Jump back in the alley and nanny goats

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Reasons to be cheerful on 10:58 - May 22 with 3878 viewsBlueBadger

Reasons to be cheerful on 10:49 - May 22 by Terry_Nutkins

Yes this post is not a Lambert one. Find one of Bluefish's 10,000 posts for that.

But, losing Lambert really is a BIG part of any chance of us doing well next season though.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Reasons to be cheerful on 11:19 - May 22 with 3848 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Reasons to be cheerful on 10:58 - May 22 by BlueBadger

But, losing Lambert really is a BIG part of any chance of us doing well next season though.

It's not a Lambert thread please.

Reasons to be cheerful on 11:25 - May 22 with 3835 viewsSwansea_Blue

Ah, it's that time of year when we get excited about the quality of incoming signings, the Bish and all our other long-term sick again.

When we people learn

I hope this year is different, although suspect the weirdness of Covid is going to make it one we may want to forget (if it completes at all).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Reasons to be cheerful on 11:27 - May 22 with 3833 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Reasons to be cheerful on 10:47 - May 22 by IpswichKnight

I think we can keep Woolfy, suspect most of the clubs interested will wait another season some might try it now but don't think they will offer near our valuation ( remember we have turned down bids for Dobra already which were no where near our valuation ). I can not see Downes starting next season with us.

We have some class coming through and have some proper talent out wide and in the number 10 position, what we need however is another striker as I fear we have raft of non-scoring strikers, Keane, Folami and Morris have never been prolific at ant level. If we lose Jackson we are very very short of actual goals up front....again.

Dozzell is interesting he has talent but to fit him in we need to forgo creativity at the number 10 as otherwise we become very very lightweight in midfield and were nowhere near streetwise enough at this level to carry Dobra, Lankester, El Mizouni and Dozzell, if we are going to play 4-3-3 which I think suits us best we can't play Dozzell as the central midfielder we'd be over-run, it would have to be more of a 4-2-1-3 to get the cover in midfield I'd be looking at Huws and a streetwise battler from another L1 club for our midfield for that.

I agree we could do with a streetwise enforcer type, particularly away from home.

You missed Norwood when talking strikers. Don't rate? With service he'll score goals. He didn't have a great season and still got 11 (likely 15 odd if season finished). I think if groin troubles gone he can bag 20 plus. If no Keane then we probo need another i agree.

Reasons to be cheerful on 11:29 - May 22 with 3827 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Reasons to be cheerful on 11:25 - May 22 by Swansea_Blue

Ah, it's that time of year when we get excited about the quality of incoming signings, the Bish and all our other long-term sick again.

When we people learn

I hope this year is different, although suspect the weirdness of Covid is going to make it one we may want to forget (if it completes at all).

It's come early! haha

I think for me it's just the young lads that give hope. Expecting them to smash the league is indeed optimistic. Will need some help.

Reasons to be cheerful on 11:50 - May 22 with 3786 viewsIpswichKnight

Reasons to be cheerful on 11:27 - May 22 by Terry_Nutkins

I agree we could do with a streetwise enforcer type, particularly away from home.

You missed Norwood when talking strikers. Don't rate? With service he'll score goals. He didn't have a great season and still got 11 (likely 15 odd if season finished). I think if groin troubles gone he can bag 20 plus. If no Keane then we probo need another i agree.

I do rate Norwood in fact he's who'd I'd play up front in that 4-2-1-3 formation he's done it before for Tranmere and he's a handful and I like that from our strikers he clearly likes to walk a fine line! Fully fit he will score goals, i'd still look to get another striker in probably another one who's happy to play up front by themselves as well and with a bit of pace, last season Jackson and KVY aside we were so plodding, if you play with pace in this league you will get so many free kicks and chances as teams struggle with it.
Reasons to be cheerful on 12:30 - May 22 with 3747 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Reasons to be cheerful on 11:50 - May 22 by IpswichKnight

I do rate Norwood in fact he's who'd I'd play up front in that 4-2-1-3 formation he's done it before for Tranmere and he's a handful and I like that from our strikers he clearly likes to walk a fine line! Fully fit he will score goals, i'd still look to get another striker in probably another one who's happy to play up front by themselves as well and with a bit of pace, last season Jackson and KVY aside we were so plodding, if you play with pace in this league you will get so many free kicks and chances as teams struggle with it.

I think we may go with Sears as the other option. He's proven he can score goals at this level but I would agree with you i'd rather bring someone else in. Big ask for someone on our budget to improve us/be an upgrade on Sears or what we have. No point another Jordan Roberts.

Striker wise we'll have Norwood, Jackson, Sears, Morris and Folami on books. Given that we may go one up for the bulk with 2 of Dobra, Lankaster, Bish, Sears, El Mizouni (Maybe), Bish (Maybe) either side i don't think we'll spend much. Free transfer market.

Reasons to be cheerful on 16:52 - May 22 with 3637 viewsIpswichKnight

Reasons to be cheerful on 12:30 - May 22 by Terry_Nutkins

I think we may go with Sears as the other option. He's proven he can score goals at this level but I would agree with you i'd rather bring someone else in. Big ask for someone on our budget to improve us/be an upgrade on Sears or what we have. No point another Jordan Roberts.

Striker wise we'll have Norwood, Jackson, Sears, Morris and Folami on books. Given that we may go one up for the bulk with 2 of Dobra, Lankaster, Bish, Sears, El Mizouni (Maybe), Bish (Maybe) either side i don't think we'll spend much. Free transfer market.

Annoyingly Roberts scored the goals that will push Gillingham above us come the end of the season table ( just how Ipswich is that! )

The Cambridge United supporter at work was gutted when El Mizouni got injured for them they really rated him and I do as well, he can take a set piece and run at people add that to Dobra and Lankaster we actually have three players who are going to take people, we just need to be brave and actually play them!

We do probably need to spend money on other areas too, we need a LB ( Nydam might do it but i'm not convinced ) and another Centre half, I think teams have worked us out that try and avoid Woolfy getting the ball and if you can pressure Chambers, Toto and Wilson as they aren't comfortable and will hoof it anywhere.
Reasons to be cheerful on 17:00 - May 22 with 3620 viewsleitrimblue

Reasons to be cheerful on 16:52 - May 22 by IpswichKnight

Annoyingly Roberts scored the goals that will push Gillingham above us come the end of the season table ( just how Ipswich is that! )

The Cambridge United supporter at work was gutted when El Mizouni got injured for them they really rated him and I do as well, he can take a set piece and run at people add that to Dobra and Lankaster we actually have three players who are going to take people, we just need to be brave and actually play them!

We do probably need to spend money on other areas too, we need a LB ( Nydam might do it but i'm not convinced ) and another Centre half, I think teams have worked us out that try and avoid Woolfy getting the ball and if you can pressure Chambers, Toto and Wilson as they aren't comfortable and will hoof it anywhere.

Sorry, that was supposed to be a up vote
Reasons to be cheerful on 22:02 - May 22 with 3519 viewsChrisd

1,2,3.......couldn’t resist. Read the subject title and thought Ian Dury & the Blockheads.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Reasons to be cheerful on 22:04 - May 22 with 3514 viewsvapour_trail

Reasons to be cheerful on 10:55 - May 22 by factual_blue

Hammersmith Palais, the Bolshoi Ballet
Jump back in the alley and nanny goats

A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Reasons to be cheerful on 22:14 - May 22 with 3503 viewsGeoffSentence

100 points, 100 goals without a doubt.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Reasons to be cheerful on 22:25 - May 22 with 3487 viewsvapour_trail

Reasons to be cheerful on 22:02 - May 22 by Chrisd

1,2,3.......couldn’t resist. Read the subject title and thought Ian Dury & the Blockheads.

It’d be on my long list for desert island discs*

*when they finally get round to fcking inviting me

Reasons to be cheerful on 22:33 - May 22 with 3468 viewsgainsboroughblue

Yes, Yes, my dear, perhaps next year, maybe even now. In which.......case.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Reasons to be cheerful on 00:12 - May 23 with 3392 viewsvapour_trail

Something nice to study, phoning up a buddy, being in my nuddy

Reasons to be cheerful on 08:52 - May 23 with 3274 viewspointofblue

Reasons to be cheerful on 11:19 - May 22 by Terry_Nutkins

It's not a Lambert thread please.

Unfortunately the manager is a big part of what happens next year. We can have the best squad in League One but of the manager dies not utilise it properly we will not go up.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Reasons to be cheerful on 08:57 - May 23 with 3261 viewspointofblue

Sorry, back to the purpose of the thread and trying to think of what our preferred starting XI should be next year:

T Holy - K Vincent-Young, M Kenlock, L Woolfenden, L Chambers - F Downes, E Huws, T Bishop - J Lankester, I El Mizouni, J Norwood

It is has lot of promise and spark, especially with the likes of McGavin and Dobra coming through too. We do need to look at left back and will need a left back plus a further centre-back and an ankle-biter in midfield if Woolfenden and Downes leave.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Reasons to be cheerful on 09:39 - May 23 with 3230 viewsChrisd

Reasons to be cheerful on 08:57 - May 23 by pointofblue

Sorry, back to the purpose of the thread and trying to think of what our preferred starting XI should be next year:

T Holy - K Vincent-Young, M Kenlock, L Woolfenden, L Chambers - F Downes, E Huws, T Bishop - J Lankester, I El Mizouni, J Norwood

It is has lot of promise and spark, especially with the likes of McGavin and Dobra coming through too. We do need to look at left back and will need a left back plus a further centre-back and an ankle-biter in midfield if Woolfenden and Downes leave.

Agree with a lot that you raised in your closing paragraph Pointofblue. Desperately need a dominate centre back that can win headers in both boxes, to start alongside Woolfenden, if we are able to keep him of course. Although I like Chambers, I'd have him as the back up centre back option in place of Wilson now, who I would off load. Is Kenlock the answer at LB? Really got my fingers crossed that Nydam comes back fit and raring to go, that looks another opportunity to be grabbed with both hands by someone. PL still has got plenty to think about, it's not just the personnel, it's injecting pace into our side, adding a bit of physicality as we get bullied by the bigger sides, the lack of players in the box when we attack and how we move the ball so slowly when passing too. Plenty to think about.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024