Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Future of Football... 11:21 - May 22 with 984 viewsIP12

The more that I read about it, the more I think that the 'game' as we know it now is finished. If the Prem League manage to sort out the huge financial problem that they have (and many will say that is of their own making) that structure may continue to exist but in a much changed form. The funding/finance for the Championship will take away 50% of the clubs. Leagues 1 & 2 will amalgamate on a North/South basis (as it was in the 1950's) but will be semi pro and Non-League will have the status of Sunday League football. I hope that I'm wrong but with the prospect of in excess of 8,ooo lower league players looking for another club in the coming weeks, I'm not over hopeful....Old Person now awaits arrival of 'down arrows'.
The Future of Football... on 11:26 - May 22 with 953 viewsSwansea_Blue

Biggish piece on the BBC today on people speculating what the new world order might look like. Sobering reading.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52680375

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The Future of Football... on 11:28 - May 22 with 951 viewsbournemouthblue

There have already been signs some big more established clubs could fail, it's already happened lower down the chain with clubs like Chester, Bury and Darlington. Bolton are the biggest one so far with real problems, they sadly won't be the last.

I fear Corona is only going to drive this wedge even further apart.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The Future of Football... on 11:32 - May 22 with 933 viewsbournemouthblue

The Future of Football... on 11:26 - May 22 by Swansea_Blue

Biggish piece on the BBC today on people speculating what the new world order might look like. Sobering reading.

MM would have been like a pig in muck with this free transfer market

It should be an interesting one on Football Manager

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

The Future of Football... on 11:37 - May 22 with 924 viewsIP12

That was one of the things this morning that made me feel 'uneasy' about football's future. If a lower league club's big descision is to to (a) Pay the TV companies back £100,000 for failing to fulfil their footballing contract OR (b) spend £140,000 on completeing the season but with no income then it's no contest isn't it. At this moment Kayden Jackson is lucky to have a conract for the foreseeable future. His retail value in the present climate is close to zero because there is no money to be spent on players.
The Future of Football... on 12:03 - May 22 with 888 viewsclive_baker

I actually think a post COVID football world where there's more streaming and less live crowds would probably suit us, relative to our peers at this level. Our fan base is sizeable, globally, relative to a lot in L1. It's not always evident in terms of attendances, although we stack up favourably there too, but I would wager our revenues from streaming would far outweigh most at this level.

Couple that with an abundance of young, technically able, but wet behind the ears kids and they're probably better suited to a behind closed doors environment where they're less likely to be bullied or feel intimidated vs. being up close and personal with a vocal home support. Personally, football behind closed doors will be so much less of a spectacle, it'll have a friendly / U23 feel about it however inventive clubs are, but in terms of yielding results in L1 we're probably quite well placed. It's not like we're famed for our hostile home atmosphere.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The Future of Football... on 17:29 - May 22 with 773 viewsJ2BLUE

Hmm. Reluctantly, after reading that, I now support voiding the season. I wanted league one to play on but not at the expense of the existence of clubs like Burton.

I want the Prem to play on and the Championship if possible but league one sounds a no go. No wonder the debate is so fierce. You hear of clubs going under and I think nah it won't happen. To get a named club as an example makes it seem a lot more real.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024