Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We're all in it together pt2736 21:01 - May 22 with 15816 viewsDubtractor

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/22/dominic-cummings-durham-trip-co

We really are governed by a shower of bast@rds aren't we?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:33 - May 23 with 1042 viewsDarth_Koont

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:26 - May 23 by giant_stow

Cant an individual be both?

Yes. Although Kuenssberg is a Political Editor who manages to be neither far too often.

But her main job is as a journalist and she should be representing higher standards.

WTF is this? by Darth_Koont 21 May 2020 21:02
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-52737557

They've been in government for a decade, Laura. This isn't about timing.

It's about accountability.It strikes me that if high-profile public sector journalists had it and understood it then maybe successive governments would too.

Pronouns: He/Him

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:34 - May 23 with 1041 viewsLankHenners

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:30 - May 23 by eireblue

The context is Lowhouse said posters were smearing The “journalist” LK.

They weren’t.

Lowhouse doesn’t seem to understand that some people expect journalism from the BBC, not simple reporters.

Yes, reporting is a sub-set of journalism.

And even then, reporters are held to a certain standard of journalistic integrity, which includes not just repeating something someone tells you without checking if it’s completely true or not.

This thread is a masterclass in refusing to accept you might have got something wrong and instead doubling down on everything despite the growing number of people pointing out your mistake.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:34 - May 23 with 1041 viewslowhouseblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:28 - May 23 by NewcyBlue

Whatever Cummings answer was, it was wrong and unacceptable.

He had COVID symptoms.

Are being deliberately obtuse?

Whatever Cummings has to say on the matter is irrelevant unless it is “I have today handed in my resignation as I am an oxygen thief”

quite possibly it will be found that what cummings did was wrong and unacceptable.

i don't want journalists to reach that judgement in the minutes after a story breaks. i want them to report the details - including what is said on behalf of the person accused.

instant judgements and findings of guilt isn't what reporters (aka journalists) are meant to provide. hatred of cummings isn't a substitute for a journalist finding out exactly what happened.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:36 - May 23 with 1025 viewsgiant_stow

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:33 - May 23 by Darth_Koont

Yes. Although Kuenssberg is a Political Editor who manages to be neither far too often.

But her main job is as a journalist and she should be representing higher standards.

WTF is this? by Darth_Koont 21 May 2020 21:02
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-52737557

They've been in government for a decade, Laura. This isn't about timing.

It's about accountability.It strikes me that if high-profile public sector journalists had it and understood it then maybe successive governments would too.

Thats fine mr and I can see why you might think that, even though I'm not sure I agree.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:38 - May 23 with 1017 viewsNewcyBlue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:34 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

quite possibly it will be found that what cummings did was wrong and unacceptable.

i don't want journalists to reach that judgement in the minutes after a story breaks. i want them to report the details - including what is said on behalf of the person accused.

instant judgements and findings of guilt isn't what reporters (aka journalists) are meant to provide. hatred of cummings isn't a substitute for a journalist finding out exactly what happened.

“quite possibly it will be found that what cummings did was wrong and unacceptable.”

You’re definitely stupid. It’s not quite possible.

The North East has been hit hard by this virus. With butt nuggets like Cummings helping spread it in the North East it’s of little surprise.

There is no defending his actions. None.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:38 - May 23 with 1014 viewsDarth_Koont

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:36 - May 23 by giant_stow

Thats fine mr and I can see why you might think that, even though I'm not sure I agree.

Doesn't surprise me at all.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:39 - May 23 with 1009 viewsbluelagos

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:26 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

it's a tweet as events were unfolding. will it be all she writes on the matter? no of course not. a lot of tweeting involves copy and repeat. did you just not want to know what cummings' answer was? can she not trust you to make your own judgement on what the source said?

I have a few problems with her reporting on this.

Let's assume her source is DC (not unreasonable in the circumstances)

Why does she think it reasonable to report what he said as 'a source'? Cummings is the story, why can he not do a press release?

Why has she reported his message without checking whether it is true?

Why no observation highlighting that his actions were against the guidelines?

Why not question why the sister or whoever looked after the kids didn't come and pick them up?

LKs tweet (and the news report I just heard her do on the radio) appear to be little more than sharing Cummings' defence without stating he is the source. That doesnt sit easy with me.

If Cummings won't go on the record, why repeat his version of what happened at all? He is the one being reported on / investigated and to allow him to feed the press unattributable quotes is hardly what you would expect of an independent journo.

I dont question her politics, I do question her independence when DC regularly feeds the press and he is now seemingly doing so and they seem happy to repeat it.
[Post edited 23 May 2020 10:40]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:39 - May 23 with 1005 viewslowhouseblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:33 - May 23 by giant_stow

Lowhouse seems to think the words are interchangeable, rightly or wrongly.

I think that this developing pile-on is ugly and unreasonable.

it's fine. i'm letting off steam because the board has regularly become unreadable with the dominant group think that goes on here. it's fun to say so. they are very welcome to pile-on - if i am their scarey non-conformer that's fine. it's just a bit sad that they see someone like me as so beyond the pale.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:42 - May 23 with 986 viewsgiant_stow

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:38 - May 23 by Darth_Koont

Add me to the pile on if you want mr. Its fine.
[Post edited 23 May 2020 10:42]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:43 - May 23 with 980 viewsfooters

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:38 - May 23 by Darth_Koont

Partial impartiality at its finest.

Always erring on the Tory side but not quite as sure as the fanboys.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:43 - May 23 with 982 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Especially as the tweets being posted in the thread are massively selective - funny that none of the below have been mentioned

Suggestions of bias are as usual ridiculous - the source tweet was a standard ‘this is what they’re saying’ response to a breaking story, quite obviously. Really the issue is the immediacy of modern journalism in the social media age - and had she not posted anything whilst doing a full investigative piece into the claims then everyone would be accusing her of bias for not commenting on it (in fact someone has accused the BBC of ignoring it in the other thread despite it being the main story on their website and being shoehorned into the news at short notice!)

EDIT: sorted Twitter links
[Post edited 23 May 2020 10:45]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:43 - May 23 with 981 viewslowhouseblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:38 - May 23 by NewcyBlue

“quite possibly it will be found that what cummings did was wrong and unacceptable.”

You’re definitely stupid. It’s not quite possible.

The North East has been hit hard by this virus. With butt nuggets like Cummings helping spread it in the North East it’s of little surprise.

There is no defending his actions. None.

where did i defend his actions?

your hatred of the man ins't a substitute for establishing what happened.
[Post edited 23 May 2020 10:52]

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:44 - May 23 with 975 viewslowhouseblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:43 - May 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Especially as the tweets being posted in the thread are massively selective - funny that none of the below have been mentioned

Suggestions of bias are as usual ridiculous - the source tweet was a standard ‘this is what they’re saying’ response to a breaking story, quite obviously. Really the issue is the immediacy of modern journalism in the social media age - and had she not posted anything whilst doing a full investigative piece into the claims then everyone would be accusing her of bias for not commenting on it (in fact someone has accused the BBC of ignoring it in the other thread despite it being the main story on their website and being shoehorned into the news at short notice!)

thank you.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:44 - May 23 with 968 viewseireblue

Wrongly.
We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:45 - May 23 with 957 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:43 - May 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Oh, and Cummings should resign/be sacked quite clearly

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:45 - May 23 with 957 viewsgiant_stow

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:43 - May 23 by footers

Partial impartiality at its finest.

Always erring on the Tory side but not quite as sure as the fanboys.

who me?!

I think I've made it clear that I think hes wrong to do this and besides that, Cummings is a dangerous prick.

I'd just rather know right now that he means to defend his actions than know nothing.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:48 - May 23 with 936 viewsNewcyBlue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:43 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

where did i defend his actions?

your hatred of the man ins't a substitute for establishing what happened.
[Post edited 23 May 2020 10:52]

Establishing what happened.

He had covid symptoms
He travelled from London to Durham
He either left his kids with his sister or his parents depending on when you ask him
Durham Constabulary warned him

This all happened when people were told to “Stay at home. Save lives. Protect the NHS”.

The evidence against him is overwhelming.

I am in the North East, a region hit hard by this virus. But it’s going nothing to do with socioeconomic inequalities. No. Not a chance.

So yes, I can be more pissed off about this.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:48 - May 23 with 934 viewspointofblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:39 - May 23 by bluelagos

I have a few problems with her reporting on this.

Let's assume her source is DC (not unreasonable in the circumstances)

Why does she think it reasonable to report what he said as 'a source'? Cummings is the story, why can he not do a press release?

Why has she reported his message without checking whether it is true?

Why no observation highlighting that his actions were against the guidelines?

Why not question why the sister or whoever looked after the kids didn't come and pick them up?

LKs tweet (and the news report I just heard her do on the radio) appear to be little more than sharing Cummings' defence without stating he is the source. That doesnt sit easy with me.

If Cummings won't go on the record, why repeat his version of what happened at all? He is the one being reported on / investigated and to allow him to feed the press unattributable quotes is hardly what you would expect of an independent journo.

I dont question her politics, I do question her independence when DC regularly feeds the press and he is now seemingly doing so and they seem happy to repeat it.
[Post edited 23 May 2020 10:40]

Though on balance...

- The source could have been his wife, his sister, his parents. We can’t 100% sure it is Cummings himself though in all likelihood, if it was a family member, they were briefed by him
- There is no reason why a counter-claim or explanation shouldn’t be published but, as I have said previously, the phrasing is awful
- I think enough people realise the hypocrisy and she has tweeted that Tory MPs feel he should go and Ian Blackford highlighting that Cummings broke the government’s own rules
- This is early in the story and more questions need to be raised. For example, the story has changed again according to the official Downing Street statement; his sister did not look after his children, she was just nearby if needed. What was it? Even if they didn’t stop for a toilet break from London to Durham was it safe for them to drive if they were suffering from the virus? But these will be pushed out at intervals to give the story momentum; they won’t be launched all at once.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:50 - May 23 with 924 viewsBlueBadger

We're all in it together pt2736 on 07:21 - May 23 by BlueBoots

Why would the government battle this...?

The government's response to COVID-19 has been a disaster from start ("Herd Immunity" anyone?) to finish (when we eventually get there, probably after a second spike with the mixed messages that have gone out regarding businesses re-opening after lockdown)

This whole business with Dominic Cummings happened over 6 weeks ago, and hasn't exactly been a secret (was reported by a member of the public, he was spoken to by the police)...so why is story breaking now? Wouldn't be because the government need someone to throw under the (Brexit) bus for the shambles you refer to?

If they wanted that, they'd have found some 'poor' junior minister to do it to. Cummings is basically Boris' brain.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:00 - May 23 with 887 viewsNewcyBlue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:01 - May 23 with 887 viewsHerbivore

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:23 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

relative to the twtd bubble yes it does look that way. but you're right that in the wider world i'm not saying anything shocking. the fact that it is so challenging and scary to people on here shows that you all ought to get out more.

Yes, we all find you challenging and scary. The disparity between your self-perception and reality is quite staggering, just goes to show that AI has a long way to go.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:03 - May 23 with 877 viewsbluelagos

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:48 - May 23 by pointofblue

Though on balance...

- The source could have been his wife, his sister, his parents. We can’t 100% sure it is Cummings himself though in all likelihood, if it was a family member, they were briefed by him
- There is no reason why a counter-claim or explanation shouldn’t be published but, as I have said previously, the phrasing is awful
- I think enough people realise the hypocrisy and she has tweeted that Tory MPs feel he should go and Ian Blackford highlighting that Cummings broke the government’s own rules
- This is early in the story and more questions need to be raised. For example, the story has changed again according to the official Downing Street statement; his sister did not look after his children, she was just nearby if needed. What was it? Even if they didn’t stop for a toilet break from London to Durham was it safe for them to drive if they were suffering from the virus? But these will be pushed out at intervals to give the story momentum; they won’t be launched all at once.

Fair comments. Although I would suggest it is 99.9% certain he was the source LK was quoting.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:06 - May 23 with 859 viewsDarth_Koont

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:42 - May 23 by giant_stow

Add me to the pile on if you want mr. Its fine.
[Post edited 23 May 2020 10:42]

You added yourself.

I suspect you thought you were the ones piling-on.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:10 - May 23 with 838 viewsgiant_stow

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:06 - May 23 by Darth_Koont

You added yourself.

I suspect you thought you were the ones piling-on.

Clearly not you muppet!

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:10 - May 23 with 837 viewsHerbivore

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:39 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

it's fine. i'm letting off steam because the board has regularly become unreadable with the dominant group think that goes on here. it's fun to say so. they are very welcome to pile-on - if i am their scarey non-conformer that's fine. it's just a bit sad that they see someone like me as so beyond the pale.

"But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024