Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We're all in it together pt2736 21:01 - May 22 with 15814 viewsDubtractor

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/22/dominic-cummings-durham-trip-co

We really are governed by a shower of bast@rds aren't we?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:11 - May 23 with 835 viewsLankHenners

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:43 - May 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Especially as the tweets being posted in the thread are massively selective - funny that none of the below have been mentioned

Suggestions of bias are as usual ridiculous - the source tweet was a standard ‘this is what they’re saying’ response to a breaking story, quite obviously. Really the issue is the immediacy of modern journalism in the social media age - and had she not posted anything whilst doing a full investigative piece into the claims then everyone would be accusing her of bias for not commenting on it (in fact someone has accused the BBC of ignoring it in the other thread despite it being the main story on their website and being shoehorned into the news at short notice!)

EDIT: sorted Twitter links
[Post edited 23 May 2020 10:45]

Again, that is a misunderstanding of the whole point. The issue is with the initial tweets, one of which was a direct reply to the journalist breaking the story. Both you and lowhouse have fallen into the trap of thinking that simply repeating what a ‘source’ has said counts as reporting on a breaking story. I, and several others, are telling you that is not correct and is not good journalistic practice.

She doesn’t need to do a full investigative piece but it’s basic practice to check information coming from sources. Yes, there is a lot of time pressure but standards still exist.

It doesn’t help LK’s case that she has been caught doing this before, arguably more egregiously when her and other high profile journalists spread a blatant lie from a ‘no 10 source’ during the election when the truth was in circulation.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:11 - May 23 with 835 viewstractordownsouth

They really are shameless little weasles aren't they?

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:12 - May 23 with 833 viewsDarth_Koont

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:43 - May 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Especially as the tweets being posted in the thread are massively selective - funny that none of the below have been mentioned

Suggestions of bias are as usual ridiculous - the source tweet was a standard ‘this is what they’re saying’ response to a breaking story, quite obviously. Really the issue is the immediacy of modern journalism in the social media age - and had she not posted anything whilst doing a full investigative piece into the claims then everyone would be accusing her of bias for not commenting on it (in fact someone has accused the BBC of ignoring it in the other thread despite it being the main story on their website and being shoehorned into the news at short notice!)

EDIT: sorted Twitter links
[Post edited 23 May 2020 10:45]

Of course, her first two tweets were as a rebuttal of another journalist announcing the core story.

The balance came 15 minutes later when I'm in little doubt she realised she'd erred on the wrong side.

If she'd applied similar balance to her first two tweets and not just relegated her role to being a mouthpiece then there wouldn't have been anything to complain about.

Pronouns: He/Him

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:19 - May 23 with 803 viewsHerbivore

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:11 - May 23 by tractordownsouth

They are utterly shameless. We're meant to believe that they were so unwell they couldn't care for their child but they were well enough to drive them halfway across the country? And then miraculously they were alright and didn't need family to assist in the end? What a load of b0llocks. Sadly the government has realised that the people are stupid and will buy anything from them, so they'll just keep spinning and banging on about political point scoring until we get to a point where Dom gets canonised for his services to fatherhood.
[Post edited 23 May 2020 11:20]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:19 - May 23 with 796 viewspointofblue

So the Government advice was actually “Stay at Home (unless you have the virus and then you can travel from one end of the country to the other) - Protect the NHS (unless it’s in the North East) - Save lives (except those you may encounter when travelling)”.

Blimey, it’s even more baffling than Stay Alert!

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:21 - May 23 with 767 viewsNewcyBlue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:19 - May 23 by pointofblue

So the Government advice was actually “Stay at Home (unless you have the virus and then you can travel from one end of the country to the other) - Protect the NHS (unless it’s in the North East) - Save lives (except those you may encounter when travelling)”.

What pisses me off most, my Mrs works in the NHS in the North East.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:22 - May 23 with 747 viewsgiant_stow

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:19 - May 23 by pointofblue

They are truly shameless, especially given their lynching of that chief science bloke.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:25 - May 23 with 728 viewsSpruceMoose

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:00 - May 23 by LankHenners

Jesus Christ. Total misunderstanding of what a journalist is and should do by you there, followed by a tirade of tripe as expected.

There’s only one person on this thread that could do with a bit of self-reflection.

The fella should start by learning how upper case letters work and go on from there.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:26 - May 23 with 720 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:11 - May 23 by LankHenners

Again, that is a misunderstanding of the whole point. The issue is with the initial tweets, one of which was a direct reply to the journalist breaking the story. Both you and lowhouse have fallen into the trap of thinking that simply repeating what a ‘source’ has said counts as reporting on a breaking story. I, and several others, are telling you that is not correct and is not good journalistic practice.

She doesn’t need to do a full investigative piece but it’s basic practice to check information coming from sources. Yes, there is a lot of time pressure but standards still exist.

It doesn’t help LK’s case that she has been caught doing this before, arguably more egregiously when her and other high profile journalists spread a blatant lie from a ‘no 10 source’ during the election when the truth was in circulation.

All of those were within an hour of the story breaking along with the ‘source says’ one, so no idea why you’re implying there was a separate initial response. These were all part of it

I don’t think I miss the point at all - asking for and publishing a response from someone accused of something has been standard journalism practice since the day dot, and it was presented as such

You and others are looking for something that simply isn’t there

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:26 - May 23 with 720 viewsDubtractor

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:26 - May 23 with 714 viewsGlasgowBlue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:33 - May 23 by giant_stow

Lowhouse seems to think the words are interchangeable, rightly or wrongly.

I think that this developing pile-on is ugly and unreasonable.

I suspect had Guthers posted the same as Lowhouse this thread would still be in its first page and his comment ignored.

Every day I see a hyperbolic threads started on here, guthers give a reasoned, logical response and he is completely ignored while the rangers continue to bark at the moon.

Ugly gang mentality that has infected this place in recent times and the reason most of my contributions are now designed to have a bit of fun with music in order the lighten the mood in here.

Phil is suffering financially and we see every day the same clique of posters repeating the same posts multiple times a day. Rarely get any new faces on here and why would we?

Five or six posters would prefer TWTD to be their own private bubble.

This place had massive potential to bring people together during this crisis. The exact opposite has happened. This whole place is divide and ugly. Whoever shouts the loudest and has the most back up from their virtual mates on here wins the argument. Facts and logic be damned.

Enjoy your day on here folks.
[Post edited 23 May 2020 11:34]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:27 - May 23 with 708 viewspointofblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:21 - May 23 by NewcyBlue

What pisses me off most, my Mrs works in the NHS in the North East.

I’m sorry but, with this kind of defence, why should anyone listen to anything this government has to say now? They create rules then happily defend them with no honour and decency when they’re broken. Don’t get me wrong, this is hardly a surprise, but if they want the public to follow the instructions laid out they need to be seen to be doing the same - and calling out those who are working for them who don’t. Not this pathetic defence which elevates Cummings above us mere mortals simply because he’s the puppeteer operating the strings.

I hope your missus is ok and you’re both coping considering the situation at the moment.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:28 - May 23 with 706 viewsDarth_Koont

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:26 - May 23 by GlasgowBlue

I suspect had Guthers posted the same as Lowhouse this thread would still be in its first page and his comment ignored.

Every day I see a hyperbolic threads started on here, guthers give a reasoned, logical response and he is completely ignored while the rangers continue to bark at the moon.

Ugly gang mentality that has infected this place in recent times and the reason most of my contributions are now designed to have a bit of fun with music in order the lighten the mood in here.

Phil is suffering financially and we see every day the same clique of posters repeating the same posts multiple times a day. Rarely get any new faces on here and why would we?

This place had massive potential to bring people together during this crisis. The exact opposite has happened. This whole place is divide and ugly. Whoever shouts the loudest and has the most back up from their virtual mates on here wins the argument. Facts and logic be damned.

Gmpf.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:31 - May 23 with 678 viewsDubtractor

Government broadcast on BBC just now..

"Do not leave home if you, or anyone in your house, has symptoms"

Oh.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:33 - May 23 with 670 viewspointofblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:26 - May 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

All of those were within an hour of the story breaking along with the ‘source says’ one, so no idea why you’re implying there was a separate initial response. These were all part of it

I don’t think I miss the point at all - asking for and publishing a response from someone accused of something has been standard journalism practice since the day dot, and it was presented as such

The issue is the key tweet did not refer to a source or that the explanation was unsubstantiated. It was just a ‘few details’ which makes it look factual, when it was not. It’s all down to semantics but, as I said before, a journalist in such a key position should understand the importance of phrasing and use of language.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:34 - May 23 with 663 viewsLankHenners

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:26 - May 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Surely you can see the difference between the ones you linked and the ones in question? That they were part of the 'initial response' is neither here nor there.

You do miss the point. Sorry, not having a go but you do. You misunderstand it. Publishing something someone says without checking the veracity is not standard journalism practice. That is wrong. You are saying something wrong. The very essence of good journalistic practice is fact-checking.

If you want to continue thinking you are right and everyone else is wrong then fine.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:36 - May 23 with 652 viewsTractorWood

We're all in it together pt2736 on 22:24 - May 22 by TractorWood

Will be some sob story released tomorrow as to why it was theoretically not a breach of their own rules having declined to comment and ignored it.

It's the Tory way. Ignore until you get rumbled and then lie/deceive on technicalities. See 40,000 tests in the post on the am of 30/04/20.
[Post edited 22 May 2020 22:24]

I would say this was a strong premonition but it's just how the Tories operate.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:36 - May 23 with 651 viewspointofblue

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:31 - May 23 by Dubtractor

Government broadcast on BBC just now..

"Do not leave home if you, or anyone in your house, has symptoms"

Oh.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/what-to-do-if-you-or-someone-

But obviously the NHS is wrong.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:37 - May 23 with 645 viewsvapour_trail

absolutely astonishing lack of self awareness.

Off the scale.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:37 - May 23 with 645 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:12 - May 23 by Darth_Koont

Of course, her first two tweets were as a rebuttal of another journalist announcing the core story.

The balance came 15 minutes later when I'm in little doubt she realised she'd erred on the wrong side.

If she'd applied similar balance to her first two tweets and not just relegated her role to being a mouthpiece then there wouldn't have been anything to complain about.

First two tweets? Unless she’s deleted or I’m missing something (latter possible as I’m rubbish at Twitter) it was just the source one included in her initial series of tweets in response

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:39 - May 23 with 636 viewsSpruceMoose

We're all in it together pt2736 on 10:39 - May 23 by lowhouseblue

it's fine. i'm letting off steam because the board has regularly become unreadable with the dominant group think that goes on here. it's fun to say so. they are very welcome to pile-on - if i am their scarey non-conformer that's fine. it's just a bit sad that they see someone like me as so beyond the pale.

And with that comment, after at least a year of huge amounts of effort, the Lowhouse drags itself wearily from its cocoon, exhausted after its transformation. It carefully unfolds it's Union Jack wings to allow them to dry and relaxes before taking flight to begin its new life of seeing gangs of lefties everywhere, ruining his country with their 'out to get him' ways.

Off the branch it leaps, wobblingly taking flight for the first time while issuing its signature call of 'BoardMafia BoardMafia'...

...and just like that a new baby Benters is born.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:42 - May 23 with 609 viewsfooters

Hahahaha. We're back to 'I know people who don't post on here anymore because of this stuff'. Who, Pecker?

But of course it was a different story when you were constantly posting anti-Corbyn hyperbole for over a year. Then it was all very important, hard-hitting journalism from gibbers.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:43 - May 23 with 600 viewsDarth_Koont

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:37 - May 23 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

First two tweets? Unless she’s deleted or I’m missing something (latter possible as I’m rubbish at Twitter) it was just the source one included in her initial series of tweets in response

The ones I'm looking at are her first responses to Pippa Crerar's story. That's what kicked off the criticism.

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:43 - May 23 with 596 viewsJakeITFC

I think I’ve come to the conclusion that you are one of the least self-aware people in the entire world.
We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:44 - May 23 with 585 viewsmonytowbray

We're all in it together pt2736 on 11:37 - May 23 by vapour_trail

absolutely astonishing lack of self awareness.

Off the scale.

“Trust the science.”

“Political point scoring.”

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024