Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Warky report on its way.... 12:41 - May 23 with 776 viewsWarkystache

Just finished Better Call Saul. Think it's better than Breaking Bad. Anyone agree?

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Warky report on its way.... on 12:45 - May 23 with 759 viewsLankHenners

On reflection, I think so. I thought so as soon as I finished it and thought recency bias could be at play but now I believe I was right the first time.

BCS understands the importance of how to tell a story, not just what the story is itself, which makes it a very rich character-driven series. Final series probably delayed now of course but sure to be worth the wait.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Warky report on its way.... on 12:47 - May 23 with 744 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Is it really that good? I liked Breaking Bad but I only watched the first two episodes of BCS and just thought it seemed a bit rubbish so I stopped.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Warky report on its way.... on 12:49 - May 23 with 737 viewssparks

Warky report on its way.... on 12:45 - May 23 by LankHenners

On reflection, I think so. I thought so as soon as I finished it and thought recency bias could be at play but now I believe I was right the first time.

BCS understands the importance of how to tell a story, not just what the story is itself, which makes it a very rich character-driven series. Final series probably delayed now of course but sure to be worth the wait.

I agree, It is far less overt, agressive and fast paced. It lacks the levels of gross out violence, for the most part. But it is character driven in a more sophisticated manner and makes for a better story imo.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Warky report on its way.... on 12:55 - May 23 with 722 viewsDarth_Koont

Yep. There's more depth to the characters in BCS so for me it becomes more engrossing as there's always so much between the lines.

I also like Breaking Bad and I can understand why people might even prefer it. It's more plot-driven and very good at what it does too.

Pronouns: He/Him

Warky report on its way.... on 13:02 - May 23 with 691 viewsWarkystache

Warky report on its way.... on 12:55 - May 23 by Darth_Koont

Yep. There's more depth to the characters in BCS so for me it becomes more engrossing as there's always so much between the lines.

I also like Breaking Bad and I can understand why people might even prefer it. It's more plot-driven and very good at what it does too.

I think the acting's better. The whole Walt/Skylar thing bored me. Jesse Pinkman is a bit wimpy for the world he's inhabiting and the whole thing is based on Walt's degeneration into Heisenberg, which means he becomes a bit of a preaching figure. The fifth series had some silly episodes (the giant magnet to wipe the laptop screen and the slow realisation by Hank that it's actually Walter all along, the guy with the ace in Chemistry. Doh).

Whereas Lalo Salamanca is genuinely creepy, Kim Wexler genuinely a conundrum (is she going to the dark side as well?) and Jimmy becoming Saul slowly, piece by piece, is truly tragic.

Warky report on its way.... on 13:10 - May 23 with 676 viewsDarth_Koont

Warky report on its way.... on 13:02 - May 23 by Warkystache

I think the acting's better. The whole Walt/Skylar thing bored me. Jesse Pinkman is a bit wimpy for the world he's inhabiting and the whole thing is based on Walt's degeneration into Heisenberg, which means he becomes a bit of a preaching figure. The fifth series had some silly episodes (the giant magnet to wipe the laptop screen and the slow realisation by Hank that it's actually Walter all along, the guy with the ace in Chemistry. Doh).

Whereas Lalo Salamanca is genuinely creepy, Kim Wexler genuinely a conundrum (is she going to the dark side as well?) and Jimmy becoming Saul slowly, piece by piece, is truly tragic.

You're probably right re: the acting. And the characters in BB are shallow enough to support the plot rather than the other way around.

I think they tried to get a similar feel to BCS into that El Camino spinoff film, which I still enjoyed on the whole. But it didn't really work with Jesse compared to Saul (as characters and actors).

Warky report on its way.... on 13:19 - May 23 with 656 viewsWarkystache

Warky report on its way.... on 13:10 - May 23 by Darth_Koont

You're probably right re: the acting. And the characters in BB are shallow enough to support the plot rather than the other way around.

I think they tried to get a similar feel to BCS into that El Camino spinoff film, which I still enjoyed on the whole. But it didn't really work with Jesse compared to Saul (as characters and actors).

I'll be honest Darth, I didn't enjoy El Camino. Perhaps that's because, out of all the BB characters, the one I cared for the least was Jesse Pinkman. Yet they tried to make him the 'hero' of the piece with his endearing openness and his retreat into depression, the whole Jane thing and his empathy towards the kids mixed up in that world.

The supporting characters were weak as a whole. Marie Schrader's kleptomania was forgotten. They didn't need Walt Jr, or didn't give him a strong role in the story. Skylar became a bore. The highlights were Gus Fring, the mexican cartels chasing Walter, Mike Ehrmantraut (my favourite character), Saul and Hank Schrader. They killed their best characters and left the weakest ones to carry it.

Warky report on its way.... on 13:40 - May 23 with 637 viewsDarth_Koont

Warky report on its way.... on 13:19 - May 23 by Warkystache

I'll be honest Darth, I didn't enjoy El Camino. Perhaps that's because, out of all the BB characters, the one I cared for the least was Jesse Pinkman. Yet they tried to make him the 'hero' of the piece with his endearing openness and his retreat into depression, the whole Jane thing and his empathy towards the kids mixed up in that world.

The supporting characters were weak as a whole. Marie Schrader's kleptomania was forgotten. They didn't need Walt Jr, or didn't give him a strong role in the story. Skylar became a bore. The highlights were Gus Fring, the mexican cartels chasing Walter, Mike Ehrmantraut (my favourite character), Saul and Hank Schrader. They killed their best characters and left the weakest ones to carry it.

You're certainly not wrong. I enjoyed it mostly because it brought back characters like Todd, Skinny and Badger, and Robert Forster as the vacuum salesman. Jesse himself always seemed too one-dimensional and predictable.

Making characters more one-dimensional and predictable probably helped make BB a much bigger show than BCS can ever be. It's much more catchy and accessible like listening to hit songs on the radio. But nothing like getting into a great album.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024