Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If this divide between 08:24 - May 24 with 1203 viewsGuthrum

pro- and anti-playing factions within League One and the wider EFL continues longer term - especially with continued indecision by the authorities - whether we'll end up with a breakaway group founding their own competition. As has happened in other sports (indeed, to some extent did with the foundation of the Premier League in 1992).
[Post edited 24 May 2020 8:25]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

If this divide between on 08:26 - May 24 with 1186 viewspointofblue

I don’t think the money’s there to breakaway within the third tier, nor are there the numbers complaining about an early end to the season. There will be a lot of bitterness and claims of misunderstandings but nothing more than that.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

If this divide between on 08:34 - May 24 with 1154 viewsGuthrum

If this divide between on 08:26 - May 24 by pointofblue

I don’t think the money’s there to breakaway within the third tier, nor are there the numbers complaining about an early end to the season. There will be a lot of bitterness and claims of misunderstandings but nothing more than that.

I was thinking slightly wider than just the six teams banding together (according to MacAnthony) in L1. The split is somewhat wider than that.

It's also more a divide between those teams who can afford to continue playing for a time without crowds, but some TV income, so want to do so and those who can't - rather than purely a dispute over how the season is concluded.

If this divide between on 08:37 - May 24 with 1140 viewspointofblue

If this divide between on 08:34 - May 24 by Guthrum

I was thinking slightly wider than just the six teams banding together (according to MacAnthony) in L1. The split is somewhat wider than that.

It's also more a divide between those teams who can afford to continue playing for a time without crowds, but some TV income, so want to do so and those who can't - rather than purely a dispute over how the season is concluded.

I can only imagine a certain number of teams can do that though - possibly the six protestors plus, if they stay down, Coventry? There’s only so many times these teams can play each other.

And we’d finish bottom of the lot too.

If this divide between on 08:52 - May 24 with 1115 viewsGuthrum

If this divide between on 08:37 - May 24 by pointofblue

I can only imagine a certain number of teams can do that though - possibly the six protestors plus, if they stay down, Coventry? There’s only so many times these teams can play each other.

And we’d finish bottom of the lot too.

But the issue is not confined to our division. There are likely to be teams in L2 and the Championship in the same position. Plus some in the Prem who don't want to restart yet and could go the other way. All you'd need is for some TV company to provide a financial incentive and away they go.

It wouldn't be good for the sport in the short term, but once the breakaway league folds and its members are enticed back into the mainstream, it could result in necessary reforms on distribution of income (c.f. World Series Cricket).

If this divide between on 08:58 - May 24 with 1097 viewspointofblue

If this divide between on 08:52 - May 24 by Guthrum

But the issue is not confined to our division. There are likely to be teams in L2 and the Championship in the same position. Plus some in the Prem who don't want to restart yet and could go the other way. All you'd need is for some TV company to provide a financial incentive and away they go.

It wouldn't be good for the sport in the short term, but once the breakaway league folds and its members are enticed back into the mainstream, it could result in necessary reforms on distribution of income (c.f. World Series Cricket).

League Two sides appear to be united whilst it looks like the lower six will be bullied into restarting in the Premier League. I don’t think enough ‘attractive’ sides will breakaway to make it an opportune franchise for television money - if the big sides go they’ll go for good those I guess the formation of some kind of European Super League may see a development of equality in the domestic ones.

If this divide between on 10:00 - May 24 with 1032 viewsElderGrizzly

Looks like the PL are going to offer £200m to EFL but with some ‘payback’ required. Assume whatever soul the game has left below PL level will need to be sold

If this divide between on 10:07 - May 24 with 1014 viewspointofblue

If this divide between on 10:00 - May 24 by ElderGrizzly

Looks like the PL are going to offer £200m to EFL but with some ‘payback’ required. Assume whatever soul the game has left below PL level will need to be sold

For starters why not even amounts to each side; why should the Championship get so much more? It’s just dividing the haves and have nots even further.

Here come the B Teams.

If this divide between on 10:19 - May 24 with 997 viewsGuthrum

If this divide between on 10:07 - May 24 by pointofblue

For starters why not even amounts to each side; why should the Championship get so much more? It’s just dividing the haves and have nots even further.

Here come the B Teams.

I was about to say B teams. Which will effectively mean most of what is now L2 being forced down into non-League. Plus a green light for the wealthier teams to hoover up even more players, to fill out what will effectively be double squads (plus bench-sitters, reserves and injury cover for each).

Login to get fewer ads

If this divide between on 11:22 - May 24 with 925 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

If this divide between on 10:00 - May 24 by ElderGrizzly

That’s £5m extra money for those relegated from the championship compared to us!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024