Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Cummings business doesn't sit right 19:26 - May 24 with 2971 viewsuefacup81

Something about this whole farrago absolutely stinks. No matter who you are, I just cannot see that you can get something like this so badly wrong, so consistently, by accident.

Cummings is the absolute master manipulator and is no doubt pulling all of the strings on this one.

To me this all fits in with what would seem to be their plan to get herd immunity back off the ground by the back door.

The utterly vague easing of restrictions so that the lockdown can mean whatever you want it to mean was the start of it, and now they're creating a situation (just in time for a nice sunny Bank Holiday Monday, no less) whereby certain sections of society will be starting to ask "if they don't have to obey the lockdown, then why should I?". You know, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if the Civil Service tweet was all part of the setup to sow the seeds of discontent.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 19:39 - May 24 with 2908 viewsGlasgowBlue

You’ve been reading Pail Mason haven’t you?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 19:43 - May 24 with 2894 viewsuefacup81

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 19:39 - May 24 by GlasgowBlue

You’ve been reading Pail Mason haven’t you?

Not even heard of the chap - for a moment (until I Googled him) I wondered if the mid-90s Town midfielder had been sounding off on the matter!

I just can't see how a Government with Cummings deep inside the workings of it, can get it so consistently wrong by accident.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 20:08 - May 24 with 2857 viewsGlasgowBlue

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 19:43 - May 24 by uefacup81

Not even heard of the chap - for a moment (until I Googled him) I wondered if the mid-90s Town midfielder had been sounding off on the matter!

I just can't see how a Government with Cummings deep inside the workings of it, can get it so consistently wrong by accident.

Paul Mason was basically saying that the government had manufactured the Cummings story as a way to ease the lockdown for their friends in big business without officially ending the lockdown.

The supposed plan is that everyone will think that if it's good enough for Cummings then it's good enough for us.

Your second point is fair. It's remarkable that the two men who masterminded Brexit against all the odds and were so in tune with the public and what works in polling could make such a f**k up of this.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 20:23 - May 24 with 2824 viewsbluelagos

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 20:08 - May 24 by GlasgowBlue

Paul Mason was basically saying that the government had manufactured the Cummings story as a way to ease the lockdown for their friends in big business without officially ending the lockdown.

The supposed plan is that everyone will think that if it's good enough for Cummings then it's good enough for us.

Your second point is fair. It's remarkable that the two men who masterminded Brexit against all the odds and were so in tune with the public and what works in polling could make such a f**k up of this.

Because power corrupts. Especially Narcissists. They genuinely believe they can behave how they want irrespective of other's opinions.

I am grasping at the straw that the Tory party will move once they recognise the impact on their electoral prospects. That said, 4.5 years away will hardly focus their minds on this.

And if they did get rid, Gove or Raab would be possible PMs (shudder)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 20:45 - May 24 with 2768 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interesting take. I suppose it's plausible. Also took the heat of the ST piece today that effectively accused them of corporate manslaughter too.

Manipulation is their forte.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 20:51 - May 24 with 2726 viewsElderGrizzly

Police involved now (Again) and his neighbours are shouting at him on the street

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 20:53 - May 24 with 2710 viewsSwansea_Blue

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 20:23 - May 24 by bluelagos

Because power corrupts. Especially Narcissists. They genuinely believe they can behave how they want irrespective of other's opinions.

I am grasping at the straw that the Tory party will move once they recognise the impact on their electoral prospects. That said, 4.5 years away will hardly focus their minds on this.

And if they did get rid, Gove or Raab would be possible PMs (shudder)

This is the problem if there is an change in personnel (there won't be). The goons on the right have stolen the lead and hold the reins, ousting many of the more moderate, sensible and experienced Tories in the process. So we've got a cabinet full of useless sycophants. Either Boris or Cummings going wouldn't change anything. If both went, maybe, but then who takes over and are they likely to be as open to manipulation (probably if it's one of the current bunch in the cabinet).

All moot though as BJ or DC aren't going anywhere soon - they've got too much to lose and have this lot stitched up for now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 20:56 - May 24 with 2695 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 20:51 - May 24 by ElderGrizzly

Police involved now (Again) and his neighbours are shouting at him on the street

All my instincts are telling me to pop down there and string him up.....after due process of course m'lud!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Login to get fewer ads

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 22:49 - May 24 with 2543 viewsGuthrum

Unlikely, given that much of the recent random sample test data is suggesting we're a very long way from the percentage of the population required for herd immunity. If fractions of a percent currently have C-19, it would take months, if not years, to get up to the 60% to 80% needed.

Plus the numbers are coming down from what we are doing, so why deliberately court another major outbreak (with even more deaths)? That's more likely to postpone a reopening of the economy, rather than hastening it.

It's quite easy to get a lot of things wrong if you're working on a fixed idea or plan which contains wrong assumptions, however clever you may think yourself. Even master manipulators are only as good as their grasp of the situation and the people they're working with.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 23:09 - May 24 with 2504 viewsmonytowbray

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 22:49 - May 24 by Guthrum

Unlikely, given that much of the recent random sample test data is suggesting we're a very long way from the percentage of the population required for herd immunity. If fractions of a percent currently have C-19, it would take months, if not years, to get up to the 60% to 80% needed.

Plus the numbers are coming down from what we are doing, so why deliberately court another major outbreak (with even more deaths)? That's more likely to postpone a reopening of the economy, rather than hastening it.

It's quite easy to get a lot of things wrong if you're working on a fixed idea or plan which contains wrong assumptions, however clever you may think yourself. Even master manipulators are only as good as their grasp of the situation and the people they're working with.

Well they said act as if you've got it. Cummings took that a step further and actually got it.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 23:28 - May 24 with 2466 viewsclive_baker

I must admit, there’s a part of me that thinks this cant be a completely unintentional PR balls up, they’re not that stupid.

But the thought that they’ve masterminded this for their own political gain, I’m convinced they’re not that smart either.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 06:37 - May 25 with 2339 viewsHarry_Palmer

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 22:49 - May 24 by Guthrum

'Plus the numbers are coming down from what we are doing, so why deliberately court another major outbreak (with even more deaths)? That's more likely to postpone a reopening of the economy, rather than hastening it.'

Well if you were planning on a rather dystopian future where a massive underclass of unemployed people were reliant on your tiny handouts to live and therefore easy to control and manipulate, this would be an ideal plan.

That would never happen in the UK though of course.
This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 07:51 - May 25 with 2259 viewsHerbivore

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 19:43 - May 24 by uefacup81

I think you give Cummings too much credit. He's not the master manipulator people think he is, he's simply an unscrupulous little scrote with a much more mediocre intellect than he'd like to think. His actions aren't part of some master plan, they're an expression of the contempt he has for both those beneath him and those above him.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 08:00 - May 25 with 2243 viewsitfcjoe

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 23:28 - May 24 by clive_baker

I must admit, there’s a part of me that thinks this cant be a completely unintentional PR balls up, they’re not that stupid.

But the thought that they’ve masterminded this for their own political gain, I’m convinced they’re not that smart either.

I just think they’ve got it wrong, from the initial “friend” who confirmed he couldn’t care less and wouldn’t be resigning in the first instance.

They think it will go away and don’t see the damage it is doing, it has serious cut through - even my wife who has no interest in things at all watching the press conferences getting annoyed at them.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 09:17 - May 25 with 2150 viewsElephantintheRoom

Brexit was a protest vote from the great unwashed fed up with ten years of austerity

Cummings Must Go is a protest vote from the great unwashed fed up with ten weeks of daytime TV

The two reactions to catastrophic arrogance incompetence and self-interest are entirely consistent.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 09:23 - May 25 with 2140 viewsStokieBlue

I believe that is attributing competence where none exists. It's simply a hugely selfish act perpetuated by a monumental bellend who believes the rules don't apply to him.

It might have the effect he's cited with regards to people ignoring any lockdown rules but I don't think that's intentional and the effects on them as a party will be long-reaching and fully deserved.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 09:33 - May 25 with 2103 viewsgordon

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 09:23 - May 25 by StokieBlue

I believe that is attributing competence where none exists. It's simply a hugely selfish act perpetuated by a monumental bellend who believes the rules don't apply to him.

It might have the effect he's cited with regards to people ignoring any lockdown rules but I don't think that's intentional and the effects on them as a party will be long-reaching and fully deserved.

SB

Yes, this. It was just selfish and thoughtless. The idea that this is all part of some grand plan is absurd.

The key to Brexit was the contempt they held for the general public, who they reckoned would buy into their empty slogans, repeat them ad nauseam on their behalf, while they didn't actually care about Brexit or the slogans themselves.

As such, this affair is entirely consistent with previous behaviour.
This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 09:41 - May 25 with 2079 viewsitfcjoe

This Cummings business doesn't sit right on 09:23 - May 25 by StokieBlue

SB

This is a good recap on it and shos directly the arrogance that is going to p155 everyone off for a long time

First – the drive to Durham: The central charge is a willingness to ignore what we all thought was clear and unequivocal “stay at home” guidance for symptomatic people, and to have risked spreading the virus at motorway services, petrol stations or anywhere else a family of three traveling 260 miles may have needed to stop along the way. A senior government official last night insisted Cummings had not broken any rules – but refused once again to say whether he stopped off anywhere on the long drive to Durham. You all saw Transport Secretary Grant Shapps fail to answer this same question on TV yesterday. It’s going to be asked again and again.

Second – a day trip to Barnard Castle? The same government official also refused to confirm or deny whether Cummings did indeed make a separate lockdown-flouting 30-mile road trip from Durham to the beauty spot of Barnard Castle on his wife Mary Wakefield’s birthday in mid-April; and again, you all saw Boris Johnson fail to answer this same question on TV last night. Sky News reports this morning that the “distinctive” car number plate noted down by the local man who spotted Cummings at Barnard Castle does indeed match up with “a car Mr Cummings has got into in the past.” The Mirror and the Guardian say a complaint has been filed to the police.

Third – the PR operation: One MP cited the “arrogance” of Spectator journo Mary Wakefield’s decision to publish on April 23 what now looks to have been a pretty misleading version of the Cummings’ family life in lockdown, leaving her employer – a proud Tory institution with 300 years of history under its belt – looking a little daft when the truth came out. (It was notable the Speccie was the first right-leaning publication to publish a furious opinion piece headlined “Why Dominic Cummings must go” after the story broke.) And the knee-jerk reaction on Friday night for “a friend” of Cummings to brief accommodating journos that he “isn’t remotely bothered” by this story went down like a cold cup of sick among almost every Tory MP Playbook has spoken to, given the sensitive context and the serious impact the revelations are having upon party and government alike.

Fourth – the changing story: Equally enraging for Tory MPs has been No. 10’s failure to agree upon a credible story that ties in with what most people understood the lockdown guidance to be; and indeed with the police’s own version of events. The decision to exploit a loophole about exceptional circumstances for people unable to care for vulnerable people looks barely credible on the face of it, given thousands and thousands of parents have been in this exact same position but managed to stay at home, and given Cummings was well enough at the time to drive 260 miles across the country. Crucially, of course, there may be extenuating circumstances here we don’t know about – but if so, No. 10 is point-blank refusing to say. And so the questions continue.

Fifth – the impact on public health: It was pretty jaw-dropping to watch the unfortunate Grant Shapps being asked to effectively rewrite vital public health advice on the hoof as he was given the impossible task of answering journalists’ questions over the weekend. Asked if symptomatic people were now allowed to get in their cars and go and isolate near to their families, Shapps said: “You have to get yourself sort of locked down and do that in the best and most practical way. And that will be different for different people under whatever circumstances their particular family circumstances happen to dictate.” You may not have seen that one on a government poster last month.

Sixth – the damage to the Tory Party: Politically, this is the most worrying charge of all for many Tory MPs, and the one that Keir Starmer is clearly going to be hanging around this government’s neck every week forever more – that it’s “one rule for them, and another for the rest of us.” One rule for a Westminster elite, and another for the rest who are missing their families, worrying about their children, mourning their dead from afar. As Nigel Farage will tell you, this is one of the most potent attack lines in modern politics – and it looks like Cummings has handed it to his opponents on a plate.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024