Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now 08:46 - May 25 with 1866 viewsMullet

I was reading an excellent article about them yesterday and how they had a squad with an average age of 23 - Kluivert was 18 etc. They had the return of Rijkaard as the senior figure and had just turned to a generation of youths as the prior lot weren’t quite up to it.

Made me think that maybe this crisis will force us to adapt similarly. I don’t for one minute suggest we’ll win anything, let alone the CL next season. But looking at our squad and how unbalanced it is now. The reasons for keeping Lambert and saving money as it were, taking Skuse on a cheaper deal and not retaining anyone else makes me think we could have the lowest aged Town squad for ages.

Holy can be no.1 with the lad whose name I can’t spell for the cup games as he’s already played in the checkatrade hasn’t he? I think Mr. Fairs suggested this on Blue Monday as well.

Woolfenden will possibly go, but KVY returns. Kenlock and Nydam might be our LB’s we might pick up another cheap defender to cover somewhere along the line at most.

Skuse won’t play lots but in games where Lambert’s got a choice of El Miz, Dobra, Lankester, ahead of him it’d be a good balance in terms of discipline and experience. Likewise you’d hope Nolan can finally step up in Downes’ absence.

Sears coming back into things too means we can give more time to any of Folami, Morris and Simpson potentially to support Norwood. Jackson going wouldn’t surprise me either.

There’s potential there that we barely sign much at all, and maybe if the market is right take advantage of the massive crop of free agents at best isn’t there?

A few of the kids have had a loan out around L2 level too so more regular first team bows in the middle of third tier might not be much of a step up. If we can get that Ambrose/Bent effect going somewhere on the pitch it might even see us challenging. Especially if other teams are in such a mess.

The longer this goes in, the more you have to think clubs like us will be forced to look at this sort of stuff you’d think.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now on 08:55 - May 25 with 1805 viewsGuthrum

I think what's happened has, to some extent, reduces the chances of Downes leaving.

After all, we don't tend to sell our young star players (the ones whose contracts we don't let run out) that cheaply. If TV money ends up being clawed back by Sky, then Championship clubs and even the lower Prem ones are going to be fairly skint. Not sure a top Prem club is going to take a big punt on someone from L1, especially as it may be a buyer's market with lots of players being released for financial reasons.

We might be able to hold onto him after all.
[Post edited 25 May 2020 9:03]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now on 09:31 - May 25 with 1734 viewsChrisd

I'm with you in this regard Mullet. It might force PL's hand more that he has to play some of our younger players next season, but even Ajax had some experience in their Champions League winning side. Blind - 34, Rijkaard - 33, Van de Saar - 25, the de Boer twins - 25 and Van Vossen - 27, but crucially all of them played throughout the spine of the side. They were excellent players with top notch quality sprinkled in amongst the teenagers and inexperienced players. Potentially, we have some good players waiting their opportunity for regular first team action, but do we have enough good calibre experience around them to help them? That was a failing for me last season.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now on 09:40 - May 25 with 1720 viewsitfcjoe

I think it will be the way we will have to go - we have a massive squad for next season already on the books.

Building a team from the younger players is key, giving them their opportunities and supplementing them with the right senior players alongside them doing the tougher roles through the spine of the side

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now on 10:05 - May 25 with 1644 viewsIpswichKnight

Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now on 09:40 - May 25 by itfcjoe

I think it will be the way we will have to go - we have a massive squad for next season already on the books.

Building a team from the younger players is key, giving them their opportunities and supplementing them with the right senior players alongside them doing the tougher roles through the spine of the side

Which youngsters would you look to start with? I still think we need an experienced L1 midfielder who knows the dark arts of this league as I never felt we were streetwise to this league this/last season.
Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now on 10:19 - May 25 with 1589 viewsGuthrum

The other advantage of a younger squad is that it will last longer, thus developing better together. If your key players are getting well into their thirties, pace and athleticism will begin to decline, injuries take their toll and careers naturally come to an end, just as something good might be building.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now on 10:27 - May 25 with 1570 viewseireblue

Yep, could be exciting times. We can hope.

The only thing I wish we had was a Magilton like figure, for both the on field magic, but the work and training ethic off the field.

Mind you, that sentiment has been true since Magilton retired.
Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now on 10:42 - May 25 with 1537 viewsArnieM

Great post Mullet👍
I think Town are actually embarking upon this very route. It just takes time . I think the plan at ITFC ( especially since Lambert came in) is to go with our youth . If you recall the Club said they would now be targeting youngsters to bring in to develop . We fine that in the last week with the player from Bury .

I think you will see Lambert n co being busy in the market . Players will be far more easy to pick up - we will just target the young ones. It’ll probably mean us staying in League one a couple more seasons. We’ll lose players along the way, and pick others up , but to squad will ( I think ), be significantly smaller and younger going forward.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now on 10:46 - May 25 with 1516 viewsIpswichKnight

Not only that we've seen us beat off competition to sign players to longer contracts and turn down cash for the same player from PL clubs ( it's more obvious now Dobra is on the radar of a lot of clubs not just here but CL teams like Atalanta! ). The future is a lot brighter than I think we probably think, we do have some class coming through and if we can get the right balance of youth and experience we can probably look forward to some much more enjoyable seasons of football.
Login to get fewer ads

Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now on 11:02 - May 25 with 1485 viewsAce_High1

Ajax in 1995, now there is a team, proper football!

Funnily enough with a few work colleagues over MS Teams this week we did some "best 11s" from different era, so Premier League 92-00,01-10 etc and also for other leagues.

Serie A in the 90's was another wonderful era, proper skilful players.

I had a debate with a colleague the other week - I think back in the 90's there were more top quality players (as in you would struggle to narrow down a top 20), whereas now the overall standard across all leagues is higher/more professional but you only have one or two stand out (Messi/Ronaldo).
Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now on 11:34 - May 25 with 1441 viewsPinewoodblue

Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now on 10:46 - May 25 by IpswichKnight

Not only that we've seen us beat off competition to sign players to longer contracts and turn down cash for the same player from PL clubs ( it's more obvious now Dobra is on the radar of a lot of clubs not just here but CL teams like Atalanta! ). The future is a lot brighter than I think we probably think, we do have some class coming through and if we can get the right balance of youth and experience we can probably look forward to some much more enjoyable seasons of football.

All down to how the players available are managed, team selection, style of play.

We may have a problem.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now on 13:53 - May 25 with 1324 viewsBlue12345

Good post. Kenlock left back though, no thanks.
Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now on 17:58 - May 25 with 1177 viewsMullet

Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now on 08:55 - May 25 by Guthrum

I think what's happened has, to some extent, reduces the chances of Downes leaving.

After all, we don't tend to sell our young star players (the ones whose contracts we don't let run out) that cheaply. If TV money ends up being clawed back by Sky, then Championship clubs and even the lower Prem ones are going to be fairly skint. Not sure a top Prem club is going to take a big punt on someone from L1, especially as it may be a buyer's market with lots of players being released for financial reasons.

We might be able to hold onto him after all.
[Post edited 25 May 2020 9:03]

I hope so, but there are always clubs who don't just spend money but throw around what they've not got and value will still be relative. So while I hope you're right I just don't see him sticking with us.

Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now on 18:00 - May 25 with 1170 viewsMullet

Ajax 95 and the implications for us right now on 10:42 - May 25 by ArnieM

Great post Mullet👍
I think Town are actually embarking upon this very route. It just takes time . I think the plan at ITFC ( especially since Lambert came in) is to go with our youth . If you recall the Club said they would now be targeting youngsters to bring in to develop . We fine that in the last week with the player from Bury .

I think you will see Lambert n co being busy in the market . Players will be far more easy to pick up - we will just target the young ones. It’ll probably mean us staying in League one a couple more seasons. We’ll lose players along the way, and pick others up , but to squad will ( I think ), be significantly smaller and younger going forward.

I think it's entirely by accident and out of necessity. I doubt there is much of a plan as there hasn't been since Lambert failed to improve us after the patching of Roberts as a targetman etc.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024