Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP 15:19 - May 25 with 6206 viewsBlueBadger

Dear Sir,

I am a senior nurse working for the NHS. Currently I am working as a senior staff nurse on the intensive care unit at [redacted] hospital but my 'proper' job is working in Critical Care Outreach - I have been redeployed from my 'day' job in order to staff a busy and expanded intensive care unit.
Both jobs involve the planning, delivery and evaluation of care for the sickest, most vulnerable people in the hospital, albeit in very different ways. I work hard at my job, one which I have seen change immeasurably through the past few months to ensure that the sickest, most vulnerable people in the West and South Suffolk community receive optimal care as soon as possible to the highest possible standard. Over the past few weeks, I have worked to prevent people going into ITU, facilitated their transfer into ITU, worked to support the sickest of the sick through an illness which leading clinics are still developing an understanding of.
I have supported my colleagues, some of whom are very senior, some of whom very junior in coming to terms changing roles, guidelines and policies.
I have supported the relatives of the dying through the worst news possible, delivered in the worst fashion possible - remotely and via a digital or phone connection.
When not at work, I like the the rest of the community around me have been diligently observing lockdown rules and social distancing guidelines so I don't have to keep donning uncomfortable PPE for hours on end for any longer than I have to.
I have also been supporting my extremely vulnerable neighbour who suffered from mental health problems and severe breathing difficulties.
Ollie was a reserved, private man who who, despite his problems was always pleasant to talk to, grateful for any support offered to him by myself and members of the community. A nice guy who enjoyed his music, a crafty joint if his COPD nurse or CPN wasn't coming round for a while who had a small but close network of friends and family.
And, as his body was being discovered Boris Johnson came onto national television to support a man who had wilfully broken all government guidelines and indeed, the law.
At this point in time, I feel as if all my work both professionally and personally, along with the work of my colleagues, the community around me and those employed in other essential roles - the shop workers, the delivery drivers, the care home workers, the refuse collectors, the teachers - to name but a few have been delivered a two-finger salute by the man who's ultimate responsibility it is to ensure the safety of the people of this nation in his shameless support for a man(who does not hold an elected position within government) who has wilfully ignored government guidelines and broken the law.

For me, this suggests that the government has no interest really in safeguarding the people of this country if the interests of the Prime Minister's advisors are compromised this. The defence 'he was doing what any parent would' is a shameful cop-out - Mr Cummings has friends and family in London, there was no need for him to break guidelines and the law to make the drive from London to Durham. Over the past ten weeks(and beyond) I've spoken to more than one husband, wife, son, daughter, mother, father, friend or neighbour to explain why they couldn't visit in person and they've all, to a person, followed the guidelines, despite the anxiety and heartache this has caused and now, an unelected official has undermined all that with his selfish actions and his apparent belief that he is above all this and that rules are for everyone else.

That is why I would I like you, as my constituency MP to support mine and many others' call for Mr Cummings to resign and, if this is not forthcoming, the resignation of MR Johnson as well.

Yours Sincerely

BB

Previously:
Part one: https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/478292/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-one/#0

Part two : https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/478646/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-two-a-s

Part three : https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/478885/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-three-w

Part four: https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/479197/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-four-id

Part Five: https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/479404/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-five-ho

Part Six: https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/480252/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-six-arr

Part Seven: https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/480784/despatches-from-the-front-line-part-seven-b

Abbreviations and explanations : https://wwww.twtd.co.uk/forum/478292/4576782/common-
[Post edited 28 May 2020 16:02]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 16:25 - May 25 with 5935 viewsm14_blue

Sorry to hear about your neighbour BB.

Great letter.
Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 16:31 - May 25 with 5904 viewsBlueBadger

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 16:25 - May 25 by m14_blue

Great letter.

Poor little b*gger was only 58 :(

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 21:44 - May 25 with 5827 viewsSteve_M

I wouldn't expect a lot from this bloke:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 23:44 - May 25 with 5696 viewsDublinBlue84

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 21:44 - May 25 by Steve_M

Agree with your letter totally. At the end of the day though he's in an exceptionally safe Tory seat and thus he really doesn't need to be seen to be on the right side of this, he'll keep his seat easily no matter what.

One of his constituents who died in her 30s from the virus who I happened to go to school with is having a funeral tomorrow after contracting the virus. Most of us of that generation feel pretty much the same way as the OP, but I'd say most people round here would be strong supporters of Boris.

However I have to say my father was in hospital following complex health issues just before the start of the outbreak and had surgery about a week or so before and the support he's had from the NHS both in hospital, getting his recovery finished at home and everything else has been nothing short of remarkable in tough circumstances.

We owe these people so much and they have said to me how tough it has been and how they have seen the impact of people not following guidelines and the stress it puts on them. Johnson and Cummings need to realise that the health of the people of this country needs to come first and before hanging on to ech other for dear life.
[Post edited 25 May 2020 23:47]

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 11:10 - May 26 with 5517 viewsBlueBadger

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 21:44 - May 25 by Steve_M

I'm not, but I've had a bit of local press interest, as I did a copy/paste of this to my FB and it's seen 50-odd shares so far..

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 13:07 - May 26 with 5458 viewsPJH

A great letter BB, the reply (assuming there is one) should be interesting.
Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 13:21 - May 26 with 5432 viewsfooters

Sounds like you've got a bone to pick with Mr Cartlidge...

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 18:12 - May 26 with 5309 viewsShawsey

Fantastic post. So sorry for your neighbour.
Login to get fewer ads

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 13:37 - May 27 with 5099 viewsMeadowlark

Good letter. I might have down-voted by accident! Fat fingers on phone syndrome.
Apologies if I did!
Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 14:12 - May 28 with 4821 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I am sorry to hear about your neighbour.

I really do want Cummings to go. He is an obnoxious individual who has spat in the face of everyone who has kept the rules.

However, I fear Johnson going. For a Conservative, despite his obvious flaws, he is far from as bad as the rest. The last leadership contest left the choice for them between him, Gove and Hunt didn't it? Can you imagine furlough and lockdown under either of them?

And if they aren't bad enough, throw in Patel, Rees-Mogg and Hancock. As appalling as Johnson is I am certain their alternatives are only far worse.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 06:53 - May 29 with 4571 viewsbluelagos

An excellent letter indeed. I wouldnt hold out much expectation from James C (my MP too).

I once went to a surgery and was left with a clear impression he was more interested in his career than in helping on an issue that would have left him out of kilter with his colleagues. He also didn't strike me as particularly bright.

You thought about standing against him? A rainbow collation? :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 21:28 - May 29 with 4446 viewsBlueBadger

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 06:53 - May 29 by bluelagos

An excellent letter indeed. I wouldnt hold out much expectation from James C (my MP too).

I once went to a surgery and was left with a clear impression he was more interested in his career than in helping on an issue that would have left him out of kilter with his colleagues. He also didn't strike me as particularly bright.

You thought about standing against him? A rainbow collation? :-)

A few years ago, I flirted with joining and getting involved with the National Health Action Party, I may look bad at them at some point. I suspect a strong ;single issue' party would do better round here than Labour, given a decent shove.

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 23:49 - May 31 with 4091 viewsDaniel72

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 21:28 - May 29 by BlueBadger

A few years ago, I flirted with joining and getting involved with the National Health Action Party, I may look bad at them at some point. I suspect a strong ;single issue' party would do better round here than Labour, given a decent shove.

I would advise watching UK Column News, to get some decent information., Cummings went to Castle Barnard not just to see his family but to meet with Astra Zeneca.
Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 17:57 - Jun 1 with 3937 viewsBlueBadger

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 23:49 - May 31 by Daniel72

I would advise watching UK Column News, to get some decent information., Cummings went to Castle Barnard not just to see his family but to meet with Astra Zeneca.

Ah, tinfoil hatting

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 17:58 - Jun 1 with 3936 viewsBlueBadger

'Abuse reported'. LOL.

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 01:29 - Jun 2 with 3864 viewsjeera

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 17:58 - Jun 1 by BlueBadger

'Abuse reported'. LOL.

For pity's sake.

Whoever's reported that needs banning on the spot.

Sad, sad state of affairs.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 13:04 - Jun 5 with 3474 viewsSwansea_Blue

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 17:58 - Jun 1 by BlueBadger

'Abuse reported'. LOL.

I suspect it was someone outraged by the inconsistent line spacing between paragraphs

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Despatches From The Front Line part 8: A Letter To My MP on 12:06 - Jun 10 with 2684 viewssoupytwist

A bit late to this, but did you ever get a response? Alaistar Campbell spent a long time collating responses to constituents' letters to MPs about Cummings, and wrote two long blog posts about them. Some of them were breathtaking, but from what I've read your MP's response, if there was one, stands a chance of being worth a wider audience.

And the letter is an excellent account of the way in which many public servants have stepped up to perform incredibly in the current situation.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 12:07]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024