Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' 09:27 - May 26 with 10175 viewsJakeITFC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52797002

All seemed so preventable at the time.
So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 09:31 - May 26 with 5162 viewsSteve_M

Who could possibly have predicted that this might happen? Grossly irresponsible government.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 10:25 - May 26 with 5094 viewsGuthrum

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 09:31 - May 26 by Steve_M

Who could possibly have predicted that this might happen? Grossly irresponsible government.

Quite a lot of people were expressing disquiet at the time. Including some in the town of Cheltenham.

But, on the other hand, there was also an argument based on what was known at the time the go-ahead was given that it would be ok if precautions were taken. Don't forget, the following Saturday's football matches also came very close to taking place, only cancelled at the last minute. And the previous weekend's sporting fixtures went ahead uninterrupted, which they ought not to have done, in hindsight.
[Post edited 26 May 2020 10:26]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 10:29 - May 26 with 5070 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 10:25 - May 26 by Guthrum

Quite a lot of people were expressing disquiet at the time. Including some in the town of Cheltenham.

But, on the other hand, there was also an argument based on what was known at the time the go-ahead was given that it would be ok if precautions were taken. Don't forget, the following Saturday's football matches also came very close to taking place, only cancelled at the last minute. And the previous weekend's sporting fixtures went ahead uninterrupted, which they ought not to have done, in hindsight.

There was disquiet, there was also plenty of support for it going ahead. Not least from punters. There was plenty of revelry on here relating to Cheltenham, and no doubt some will have attended.

I was a little surprised at the time that it went ahead, but the advice at the time from govt advisors was that large outdoor events weren't a huge risk.

That surprised me, but that was the advice. I don't remember opposition parties demanding that it should be cancelled.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 10:33 - May 26 with 5060 viewsbluejacko

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 10:29 - May 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

There was disquiet, there was also plenty of support for it going ahead. Not least from punters. There was plenty of revelry on here relating to Cheltenham, and no doubt some will have attended.

I was a little surprised at the time that it went ahead, but the advice at the time from govt advisors was that large outdoor events weren't a huge risk.

That surprised me, but that was the advice. I don't remember opposition parties demanding that it should be cancelled.

But if opposition parties had called for it to be cancelled some people could not now shout ‘blame’ the govt!
So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 10:36 - May 26 with 5046 viewsGuthrum

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 10:29 - May 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

Friend of mine, despite being a fanatical horseracing fan, actually left town for the week, being concerned over the crowds as he has suffered from lung problems for years.

Another friend, who just about survived a very bad case of C-19, is pretty sure he caught it during that week, when he was performing music in a crowded pub (one of the staff was hospitalised with it, too, fortunately not so seriously).

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 10:40 - May 26 with 5028 viewsJakeITFC

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 10:25 - May 26 by Guthrum

The advice seemed wrong then and seems wrong now - it seemed to me as though they had a fundamental misunderstanding of what R meant (as in I'm pretty sure one of the scientific advisers said something along the lines of 'the R is 3 so on average you'll only infect 3 other people so it doesn't matter if you're surrounded by thousands of others'.

Now I'm clearly no expert on this, but I don't think that the coronavirus is like a bee sting in that you can only pass it on a finite number of times.
So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 10:43 - May 26 with 5015 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 10:36 - May 26 by Guthrum

Friend of mine, despite being a fanatical horseracing fan, actually left town for the week, being concerned over the crowds as he has suffered from lung problems for years.

Another friend, who just about survived a very bad case of C-19, is pretty sure he caught it during that week, when he was performing music in a crowded pub (one of the staff was hospitalised with it, too, fortunately not so seriously).

Not disputing that, just saying that advice at the time wasn't strong enough.

There were also huge marches across the globe 2 days earlier for International Women's day, and football etc. It wasn't just Cheltenham in isolation.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 10:49 - May 26 with 4989 viewsIpswich1984

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 10:43 - May 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

There were also huge marches across the globe 2 days earlier for International Women's day, and football etc. It wasn't just Cheltenham in isolation.

Can include the Six Nations in Edinburgh too which had a large number of the French there and their outbreak was ahead of ours at that time.

Poll: Should there be a lap of honour after the Sheffield United game?

Login to get fewer ads

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 11:08 - May 26 with 4949 viewsGuthrum

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 10:43 - May 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

Indeed. Those were kind of my points, too.

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 11:09 - May 26 with 4953 viewsJ2BLUE

Are you sure about the following football matches? I'm sure I watched Cheltenham knowing it was the last sporting event for quite a while.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 11:09 - May 26 with 4946 viewsGuthrum

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 10:40 - May 26 by JakeITFC

The advice seemed wrong then and seems wrong now - it seemed to me as though they had a fundamental misunderstanding of what R meant (as in I'm pretty sure one of the scientific advisers said something along the lines of 'the R is 3 so on average you'll only infect 3 other people so it doesn't matter if you're surrounded by thousands of others'.

Now I'm clearly no expert on this, but I don't think that the coronavirus is like a bee sting in that you can only pass it on a finite number of times.

Yes, that was pointed out to me at the time by someone working in the field.

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 11:13 - May 26 with 4927 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 11:08 - May 26 by Guthrum

Indeed. Those were kind of my points, too.

Also key to remember that Corbyn attended the Women's Day March in London, so couldn't have been that opposed to mass public gatherings at the time.

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 11:15 - May 26 with 4912 viewsGuthrum

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 11:09 - May 26 by J2BLUE

Are you sure about the following football matches? I'm sure I watched Cheltenham knowing it was the last sporting event for quite a while.

The Bristol Rovers fixture was cancelled on Friday 13th March, the day before it was due to take place, which was also the final day of the Gold Cup meeting.

Pretty sure that the "increased" infection rates..... on 11:19 - May 26 with 4898 viewsBloots

….quoted were debunked at the time as being untrue, but I can't find the story.

There was always going to be a "final" mass gathering before lockdown, whenever it was, and I'm pretty certain whatever event it was would have got the same treatment from the media.

For the record I went, with friends and family, I met further people there and know literally dozens that went, none of which have displayed symptoms.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 11:24 - May 26 with 4871 viewsJ2BLUE

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 11:15 - May 26 by Guthrum

The Bristol Rovers fixture was cancelled on Friday 13th March, the day before it was due to take place, which was also the final day of the Gold Cup meeting.

I stand corrected. Cheers.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 11:57 - May 26 with 4806 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 09:31 - May 26 by Steve_M

Labour's leadership wasn't against mass gatherings at the time.

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 12:02 - May 26 with 4795 viewsSpruceMoose

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 11:13 - May 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

Also key to remember that Corbyn attended the Women's Day March in London, so couldn't have been that opposed to mass public gatherings at the time.

Been a while since we've seen a good old 'But Corbyn'!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 12:06 - May 26 with 4790 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 12:02 - May 26 by SpruceMoose

Always keen to add a balanced view when facts have been missed.

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 12:36 - May 26 with 4745 viewsgordon

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 12:02 - May 26 by SpruceMoose

Michael Foot didn't come out against Cheltenham going ahead, so the Government can't be blamed here.
So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 12:37 - May 26 with 4742 viewsbluejacko

Didn’t Liverpool play a European game that week as well? can’t remember who it was but seem to remember people saying it was a virus hotspot in Italy!
So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 12:38 - May 26 with 4745 viewsPhilTWTD

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 11:15 - May 26 by Guthrum

Worth pointing out it was the EFL and Premier League which called games off, there was no Government advice telling them to do that.
So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 12:40 - May 26 with 4728 viewsJakeITFC

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 12:37 - May 26 by bluejacko

Didn’t Liverpool play a European game that week as well? can’t remember who it was but seem to remember people saying it was a virus hotspot in Italy!

Atletico Madrid, with Madrid being a real virus hotspot at that point.
So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 12:40 - May 26 with 4726 viewsMullet

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 12:37 - May 26 by bluejacko

Atletico Madrid wasn’t it? That and the three big Stereophonics concerts were the last events that made the news and had lots of people condemning them from memory.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 13:02 - May 26 with 4685 viewslongtimefan

So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 12:38 - May 26 by PhilTWTD

Worth pointing out it was the EFL and Premier League which called games off, there was no Government advice telling them to do that.

There wasn’t. However, I’d already decided myself that there was no way I would be spending close to 10 hours on a coach going to Bristol and back with things the way they were, even if the game was going ahead.
So Cheltenham going ahead 'caused increased suffering and death' on 13:03 - May 26 with 4680 viewsgordon

These events were taking place at the time when the government thought it inevitable that 60 - 80% of the population would get infected with the virus, and there was loads of spare capacity in the NHS to process serious illnesses / deaths.

As such, these events didn't go ahead on the basis that people wouldn't get infected (a proportion of which would then die), they went ahead on the basis that these infections wouldn't overload the NHS.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024