Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! 01:52 - May 27 with 1718 viewsmonytowbray

Or soy based substitute if you are of the plant-based diet.

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/full-list-of-mps-who-voted-to-lower-our-f

If only there had of been some convenient warnings from a collective group of experts before the referendum? Perhaps one nicknamed “Project Fear” or something, or one that the public had had enough of listening to? That’d have been useful in hindsight.

[Post edited 27 May 2020 1:53]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 08:18 - May 27 with 1539 viewsmonytowbray

This thread is quiet. Genuinely curious as to how those who voted Leave feel about thIs?

It’s the exact opposite of taking back control and supporting British jobs.

TWTD never forgets…

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 08:20 - May 27 with 1531 viewsDanTheMan

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 08:18 - May 27 by monytowbray

This thread is quiet. Genuinely curious as to how those who voted Leave feel about thIs?

It’s the exact opposite of taking back control and supporting British jobs.

The likely response will be the same as what the Government said previously, that the food protections are part of another bill.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 09:29 - May 27 with 1484 viewsSwansea_Blue

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 08:20 - May 27 by DanTheMan

The likely response will be the same as what the Government said previously, that the food protections are part of another bill.

Is that really the case? I can't find anything on that, but I can find lots on the justification of their decision not to back the amendments on the grounds of level playing field conditions against countries with lower standards than the EU ones. That and the furore around this from the farming community suggests it's the intended direction of travel.

I know Gove in the past has said we'll retain our standards, but I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

I hope you're right as if not this is a seriously retrogressive step after 30+ years of slowly improving animal welfare and food safety standards.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 09:37 - May 27 with 1478 viewsDanTheMan

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 09:29 - May 27 by Swansea_Blue

Is that really the case? I can't find anything on that, but I can find lots on the justification of their decision not to back the amendments on the grounds of level playing field conditions against countries with lower standards than the EU ones. That and the furore around this from the farming community suggests it's the intended direction of travel.

I know Gove in the past has said we'll retain our standards, but I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

I hope you're right as if not this is a seriously retrogressive step after 30+ years of slowly improving animal welfare and food safety standards.

Struggling to find the exact quote but the gist of it is that it will be part of other converted EU laws.

But environment minister Victoria Prentis insisted all EU import standards will be converted into domestic law by the end of the December 2020 transition period.

She told the Commons: "This will include a ban on using artificial growth hormones in beef. Nothing apart from potable water may be used to clean chicken carcasses, and any changes to these standards would have to come before this Parliament.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/05/bid-maintain-uk-food-standards-future-tra

Whether you believe this or not is an entirely different matter of course.

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 09:53 - May 27 with 1440 viewsbrazil1982

I'll choose not to consume it.

I try to buy meat from reputable sources and avoid any prepared / microwave dinners. I suspect much of this "chicken" will end up in low quality ready made meals. Much like chicken from Thailand does.
Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 09:57 - May 27 with 1433 viewsSwansea_Blue

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 09:37 - May 27 by DanTheMan

Struggling to find the exact quote but the gist of it is that it will be part of other converted EU laws.

But environment minister Victoria Prentis insisted all EU import standards will be converted into domestic law by the end of the December 2020 transition period.

She told the Commons: "This will include a ban on using artificial growth hormones in beef. Nothing apart from potable water may be used to clean chicken carcasses, and any changes to these standards would have to come before this Parliament.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/05/bid-maintain-uk-food-standards-future-tra

Whether you believe this or not is an entirely different matter of course.

Ok, thanks.
[Post edited 27 May 2020 9:57]

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 10:00 - May 27 with 1427 viewsSwansea_Blue

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 09:53 - May 27 by brazil1982

I try to buy meat from reputable sources and avoid any prepared / microwave dinners. I suspect much of this "chicken" will end up in low quality ready made meals. Much like chicken from Thailand does.

People may not get the chance sometimes. It could find its way into meals provided for public bodies under pressure to reduce budgets and tender to the cheapest supplier (schools, hospitals, etc). Pie at the football - will we know where that comes from, etc.

Hopefully consumer pressure will mean that labelling in the shops remains transparent enough that people can avoid it though wehn shopping, as you say.

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 10:05 - May 27 with 1415 viewsmonytowbray

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 10:00 - May 27 by Swansea_Blue

People may not get the chance sometimes. It could find its way into meals provided for public bodies under pressure to reduce budgets and tender to the cheapest supplier (schools, hospitals, etc). Pie at the football - will we know where that comes from, etc.

Hopefully consumer pressure will mean that labelling in the shops remains transparent enough that people can avoid it though wehn shopping, as you say.

Race to the bottom :(

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 10:33 - May 27 with 1400 viewsBent_double

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 09:53 - May 27 by brazil1982

This is the thing, I don't think for one minute that all products will be labelled as 'contains chlorinated chicken from the U-S-of-A', which the cheap value/budget brands certainly will.

Sure, if a whole chicken is packaged as coming from the US, then people will have the choice - and will hopefully choose not to buy it, instead buying a higher quality/safer/higher welfare chicken produced in the UK.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 10:48 - May 27 with 1380 viewsJ2BLUE

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 10:00 - May 27 by Swansea_Blue

People always have a choice*. If I have any doubts about the quality of animal products I just go for the vegan option.

*before anyone replies telling me the poor don’t have a choice please check the prices of things like lentils, chickpeas, beans, grains and vegetables and stop being silly.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 10:52 - May 27 with 1365 viewsmonytowbray

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 10:48 - May 27 by J2BLUE

People always have a choice*. If I have any doubts about the quality of animal products I just go for the vegan option.

*before anyone replies telling me the poor don’t have a choice please check the prices of things like lentils, chickpeas, beans, grains and vegetables and stop being silly.

The champagne vegan elite.

TWTD never forgets…

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 10:54 - May 27 with 1360 viewsSwansea_Blue

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 10:48 - May 27 by J2BLUE

I don't think a 4 year old in a school is going to have a ethical conversation with the dinner lady around where the food has come from. Some people in hospitals may not get a choice, or a dementia patient in a care home...etc.

Yes there's always a vegan option, but in a society where vegan diets (and vegans) are still treated with contempt by many it's inevitable that it will end up being consumed.

There's no way you'll stop this stuff coming into the country and being consumed on the basis of choice.

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 11:07 - May 27 with 1324 viewsJ2BLUE

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 10:54 - May 27 by Swansea_Blue

I don't think a 4 year old in a school is going to have a ethical conversation with the dinner lady around where the food has come from. Some people in hospitals may not get a choice, or a dementia patient in a care home...etc.

Yes there's always a vegan option, but in a society where vegan diets (and vegans) are still treated with contempt by many it's inevitable that it will end up being consumed.

There's no way you'll stop this stuff coming into the country and being consumed on the basis of choice.

Some good and fair points there.

I don’t mean to move the goalposts because you’re right but you say there’s always a vegan option and these diets are treated with contempt so why are schools/the media not teaching kids/everyone that these foods are healthy, cheap and can help save the planet?

These places would be better off cutting the food budget and paying a decent chef to cook meals with these cheaper healthier ingredients than going to the lowest cost meat option. There are no losers switching cheap factory farmed meat for ingredients like these.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 12:51 - May 27 with 1251 viewsgazzer1999

We currently enjoy chlorinated salad from the EU, The EU do not have a problem with chlorinating foodstuffs it is more a question of animal welfare, which they think may suffer. I will choose not to eat the chlorinated chicken as I currently choose not to eat chlorinated salad, but that is my choice if you or others choose to its their choice just like smokers choose to smoke still knowing the risk of death by doing so.
Funny how the EU haven't banned that yet, mind you if they did they would get my vote.
Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 15:07 - May 27 with 1157 viewsDanTheMan

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 12:51 - May 27 by gazzer1999

We currently enjoy chlorinated salad from the EU, The EU do not have a problem with chlorinating foodstuffs it is more a question of animal welfare, which they think may suffer. I will choose not to eat the chlorinated chicken as I currently choose not to eat chlorinated salad, but that is my choice if you or others choose to its their choice just like smokers choose to smoke still knowing the risk of death by doing so.
Funny how the EU haven't banned that yet, mind you if they did they would get my vote.

The problem is that chlorinated chicken is only necessary due to poor food standards and it itself not all that great, not that chlorine is just outright bad.

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 15:45 - May 27 with 1124 viewsmonytowbray

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 12:51 - May 27 by gazzer1999

The USA’s food standards are shockingly bad though, and this is what the vote is teeing us up for.

Enjoy Googling the long words and numbers on the back of your food all the time soon.

TWTD never forgets…

Enjoy your chlorinated chicken! on 21:17 - May 27 with 1039 viewsHarry_Palmer

Wait this can't be right, the Government who put 'public health' and 'keeping everybody safe' as a top priority want to lower food standards and import food that isn't fit for a maggot to consume. I simply don't believe it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024