Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Great thread by Monbiot on the state of our democracy 13:17 - May 27 with 1053 viewsDarth_Koont

Don't let the circus of Cummings distract from the bigger picture and problem. It's a symptom, of course, but Cummings and Johnson's disdain for democratic accountability comes from the fact that there really isn't any.

Pronouns: He/Him

Great thread by Monbiot on the state of our democracy on 13:25 - May 27 with 1009 viewsfactual_blue

The point being really that we never have. We didn't have one person, one vote until after WW2.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Great thread by Monbiot on the state of our democracy on 13:27 - May 27 with 1000 viewsbluelagos

Always annoys me when anyone claims party X have a mandate for XYZ when that is based on less than 50% of the popular vote. They have a mandate because we have a system that gives them one.

The arrogance of parties to govern rather than to bring in the opposition means (to me) that we have a form of democracy in the UK that is self serving rather than serving the people.

If Starmer gets in in 5 years time, I wonder if he would have the vision to reform the electoral system or would his loyalty to Labour trump that?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Great thread by Monbiot on the state of our democracy on 13:34 - May 27 with 956 viewsDarth_Koont

Great thread by Monbiot on the state of our democracy on 13:27 - May 27 by bluelagos

Always annoys me when anyone claims party X have a mandate for XYZ when that is based on less than 50% of the popular vote. They have a mandate because we have a system that gives them one.

The arrogance of parties to govern rather than to bring in the opposition means (to me) that we have a form of democracy in the UK that is self serving rather than serving the people.

If Starmer gets in in 5 years time, I wonder if he would have the vision to reform the electoral system or would his loyalty to Labour trump that?

All of which came to a head over Brexit.

Even putting aside the lies of the Leave campaign and playing up to people's fears, xenophobia and even racism, we came out of it with a narrow Leave win.

Nowhere in any of that was there a mandate for a lose-at-all-costs, No Deal Brexit. Nor was it put forward by the Leavers during the campaign.

Great thread by Monbiot on the state of our democracy on 13:38 - May 27 with 934 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I guess when you can go to war on a lie and a cover up, anything becomes fair game.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Great thread by Monbiot on the state of our democracy on 13:42 - May 27 with 920 viewsDarth_Koont

Great thread by Monbiot on the state of our democracy on 13:38 - May 27 by Marshalls_Mullet

I guess when you can go to war on a lie and a cover up, anything becomes fair game.

That's sort of the point. This is a bad system which someone like Blair can use for a religious and cultural crusade. It's an even worse system for people who are almost sociopathic in their willingness to game it.

Great thread by Monbiot on the state of our democracy on 13:44 - May 27 with 906 viewshomer_123

Great thread by Monbiot on the state of our democracy on 13:25 - May 27 by factual_blue

The point being really that we never have. We didn't have one person, one vote until after WW2.

The question I was going to pose was when was the last time we actually did?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Great thread by Monbiot on the state of our democracy on 13:47 - May 27 with 890 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Great thread by Monbiot on the state of our democracy on 13:42 - May 27 by Darth_Koont

That's sort of the point. This is a bad system which someone like Blair can use for a religious and cultural crusade. It's an even worse system for people who are almost sociopathic in their willingness to game it.

Yes, wouldn't disagree.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Great thread by Monbiot on the state of our democracy on 14:11 - May 27 with 841 viewsGeoffSentence

The media loves covering democracy protests in other parts of the world, Hong Kong is currently the beneficiary of that, I'd love to see how it would handle democracy protests in the UK.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Great thread by Monbiot on the state of our democracy on 14:29 - May 27 with 809 viewsfactual_blue

Great thread by Monbiot on the state of our democracy on 13:44 - May 27 by homer_123

The question I was going to pose was when was the last time we actually did?

One can make a strong case for 'never'.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024