Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? 01:13 - May 28 with 3072 viewsjasondozzell

Obviously Bobby and FA and UEFA Cup winning teams rightly revered. But do we recognise Burley's side enough?

Saw that Darren Bent said fans still sing Reuser's name for example - but is that true? Not heard that often.
Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 05:47 - May 28 with 2968 viewsIPS_wich

I think it depends on how old you are. If you are 50+ then you will have been at least 8 when we won the FA Cup, at east 11 when we won the UEFA and finished 3rd, 2nd, 2nd. So probably those people would see the Burley era as a positive experience but still way below the third or Robson's eras.

As a 45 year old, I can't properly remember that side (despite being a 6 year old mascot in 1981). My first proper Ipswich memories have Putney, Brennan, Zondervan and an emerging Dozzell in the team.

So for me the 97-01 era was the finest football I have ever seen Town play and is full of many many wonderful memories. The Wembley play-off side trips of my tongue as easily as the 81 side. And it wasn't just the play-off winning year and the first year back in the Prem. The three seasons before that we played wonderful football and regularly played teams of the park. We just lacked a little bit of edge when it mattered.

I think it's the Lyall 91-93 era that isn't given enough credit.
Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 09:25 - May 28 with 2864 viewsChutney

That was a fantastic side. The one that knocked on the door in what is now the Championship for so long, and then disrupted the Premier League in 2000 / 2001. Incredible side, manager of the year, 5th, brilliant. Absolute joy to watch. It's a massive shame we couldn't 'consolidate' off the back of that and finish anywhere outside the bottom 3. A couple of choice additions, a bullet or 2 dodged in the transfer market, a little more luck with injuries and not holding Sereni's request for a rest at Dagenham against him could've really set us up for a nice spell in the top tier.
Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 09:28 - May 28 with 2858 viewsSwansea_Blue

Burley did fantastic, formed a strongly bonded team that played some lovely football at times. But they were punching well above their weight and it couldn't be sustained once that team spirit was affected.

SBR moulded a truly top class side who were a match for anyone over many seasons.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 09:44 - May 28 with 2808 viewspatrickswell

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 05:47 - May 28 by IPS_wich

I think it depends on how old you are. If you are 50+ then you will have been at least 8 when we won the FA Cup, at east 11 when we won the UEFA and finished 3rd, 2nd, 2nd. So probably those people would see the Burley era as a positive experience but still way below the third or Robson's eras.

As a 45 year old, I can't properly remember that side (despite being a 6 year old mascot in 1981). My first proper Ipswich memories have Putney, Brennan, Zondervan and an emerging Dozzell in the team.

So for me the 97-01 era was the finest football I have ever seen Town play and is full of many many wonderful memories. The Wembley play-off side trips of my tongue as easily as the 81 side. And it wasn't just the play-off winning year and the first year back in the Prem. The three seasons before that we played wonderful football and regularly played teams of the park. We just lacked a little bit of edge when it mattered.

I think it's the Lyall 91-93 era that isn't given enough credit.

That’s a good point about the Lyall side, but I suspect it’s because that period was seen as a brief but wonderful purple patch given that the majority of players in it were part of the drab Duncan era, Mick McGiven’s 8-1-1 formations and 1994-95.
For all that, I’m pleased for them as pros that they have a divisional title winner’s medal as well as achievements like the last Town side to double Norwich, defeat Manchester United in a league game, first Town side to win at Anfield and that they had enough pride and quality in themselves not to do a Swindon in 1995/96 and help lay the platform from which Burley was able to push on through the late 90s
Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 10:21 - May 28 with 2769 viewsTJS

Burley's team probably didn't get enough credit at the time either.
I think it has been largely forgotten that there was a significant anti-Burley camp that season who wanted him out if we lost in the play-offs for the 4th year in a row.
Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 11:25 - May 28 with 2714 viewsBlueBadger

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 10:21 - May 28 by TJS

I think it has been largely forgotten that there was a significant anti-Burley camp that season who wanted him out if we lost in the play-offs for the 4th year in a row.

Was it that significant? The was the occasional foool chuntering on terraces and Newmie moaning on here and that was about it as far as I recall.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 11:33 - May 28 with 2696 viewsLibero

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 11:25 - May 28 by BlueBadger

Was it that significant? The was the occasional foool chuntering on terraces and Newmie moaning on here and that was about it as far as I recall.

I seem to remember quite a bit of it, the attitude was that this was his last crack at it I think.

I was only a young boy at the time though so there's a chance my memories aren't reliable.
Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 11:51 - May 28 with 2677 viewsSE1blue

Burley was the master of finding the right man for the right job - basically playing players in their correct positions and recognising who would compliment the system (players) already in place. Watching him assemble that team was a joy to watch and you had faith in his decision making.

Only Royle has really done that since. The rest of our managers have either been prevented from doing so by a lack of funds or, for most of them, by their complete incompetence.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Login to get fewer ads

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 12:18 - May 28 with 2646 viewsBlueBadger

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 11:33 - May 28 by Libero

I seem to remember quite a bit of it, the attitude was that this was his last crack at it I think.

I was only a young boy at the time though so there's a chance my memories aren't reliable.

I was in my final year at uni - whilst Saturdays were generally in abundance, funds weren't, so again, I'm not a hugely reliable witness.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 12:45 - May 28 with 2614 viewstractorboy1978

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 11:51 - May 28 by SE1blue

Burley was the master of finding the right man for the right job - basically playing players in their correct positions and recognising who would compliment the system (players) already in place. Watching him assemble that team was a joy to watch and you had faith in his decision making.

Only Royle has really done that since. The rest of our managers have either been prevented from doing so by a lack of funds or, for most of them, by their complete incompetence.

It was a team with a proper identity. You knew how we were going to try and play, and as you say, we went out and recruited players to play a specific role. It was tweaked and fine tuned over a few years. We also signed the right characters, they weren't just good players (this is something Paul Jewell neglected).
Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 13:33 - May 28 with 2576 viewsLibero

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 12:45 - May 28 by tractorboy1978

It was a team with a proper identity. You knew how we were going to try and play, and as you say, we went out and recruited players to play a specific role. It was tweaked and fine tuned over a few years. We also signed the right characters, they weren't just good players (this is something Paul Jewell neglected).

Also worth mentioning that In a league full of teams playing 4-4-2 we'd play 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 but very rarely a flat 4-4-2.
[Post edited 28 May 2020 13:50]
Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 13:53 - May 28 with 2550 viewsclive_baker

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 10:21 - May 28 by TJS

I don't know why this game sticks in my memory but during those years of being the nearly men (maybe the year we finally got promoted, I cant remember) we played someone really sh1t like Reading at home (maybe Port Vale?). It was the day after deadline day and they had bought a ridiculous amount of players the day / weeks before and something like 6 or 7 were starting together, against us. As you would expect, they were completely disjointed, barely knew each others names and played like it. In contrast, their maiden voyage was about as hard as they got at that level, at Portman Road against a well polished and well oiled machine under Burley. I don't think I've ever witnessed a dick1ng quite like that. Not necessarily the score line (I think it was 4-1 or something) but it was almost embarrassing how good and how dominant we were.
[Post edited 28 May 2020 14:00]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 14:26 - May 28 with 2505 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 09:28 - May 28 by Swansea_Blue

Burley did fantastic, formed a strongly bonded team that played some lovely football at times. But they were punching well above their weight and it couldn't be sustained once that team spirit was affected.

SBR moulded a truly top class side who were a match for anyone over many seasons.

I think Robson and presumably Sir Alf too were remarkable motivators and managers of people.

Burley had remarkable success over a short period of time with the team he built. Unfortunately it fell apart nearly as quickly as he built it. He never went on to the same success anywhere else.

I appreciate what Burley managed because it is personal experience for me. From the heartache of losing to West Ham in play-off semi finals yet again and relegation and all that followed including that Tuesday night at Grimsby through to that first Premier League season under him and the great nights of European adventure. However, there is no question it even begins to compare with the achievements of Sir Bobby let alone Sir Alf to take a team to winning the league at the very first time of asking.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 14:32 - May 28 with 2496 viewsLibero

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 14:26 - May 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think Robson and presumably Sir Alf too were remarkable motivators and managers of people.

Burley had remarkable success over a short period of time with the team he built. Unfortunately it fell apart nearly as quickly as he built it. He never went on to the same success anywhere else.

I appreciate what Burley managed because it is personal experience for me. From the heartache of losing to West Ham in play-off semi finals yet again and relegation and all that followed including that Tuesday night at Grimsby through to that first Premier League season under him and the great nights of European adventure. However, there is no question it even begins to compare with the achievements of Sir Bobby let alone Sir Alf to take a team to winning the league at the very first time of asking.

West Ham playoffs were under Royle, buh!
Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 14:47 - May 28 with 2483 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 14:32 - May 28 by Libero

West Ham playoffs were under Royle, buh!

Ah yes, my mistake.

Bolton would have been the last one under Burley which was another reason why beating them the year after was so sweet.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 14:50 - May 28 with 2481 viewsLibero

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 14:47 - May 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

Ah yes, my mistake.

Bolton would have been the last one under Burley which was another reason why beating them the year after was so sweet.

Yup, Sheffield United and Charlton before that.
Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 17:35 - May 28 with 2392 viewspatrickswell

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 13:53 - May 28 by clive_baker

I don't know why this game sticks in my memory but during those years of being the nearly men (maybe the year we finally got promoted, I cant remember) we played someone really sh1t like Reading at home (maybe Port Vale?). It was the day after deadline day and they had bought a ridiculous amount of players the day / weeks before and something like 6 or 7 were starting together, against us. As you would expect, they were completely disjointed, barely knew each others names and played like it. In contrast, their maiden voyage was about as hard as they got at that level, at Portman Road against a well polished and well oiled machine under Burley. I don't think I've ever witnessed a dick1ng quite like that. Not necessarily the score line (I think it was 4-1 or something) but it was almost embarrassing how good and how dominant we were.
[Post edited 28 May 2020 14:00]

I had a quick look in The Modern Era book, and it was indeed Reading who fielded 5 debutants, including Robert Fleck, on March 28 1998. In the words of the book, “Hoping for a new dawn, 1700 travelling fans make a hell of a racket, but Wright has little to do.” Town won 1-0 and Reading finished with 9 men. They were relegated at the end of that season.
[Post edited 28 May 2020 17:37]
Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 05:52 - May 29 with 2240 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 09:50 - May 30 with 2032 viewsclive_baker

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 17:35 - May 28 by patrickswell

I had a quick look in The Modern Era book, and it was indeed Reading who fielded 5 debutants, including Robert Fleck, on March 28 1998. In the words of the book, “Hoping for a new dawn, 1700 travelling fans make a hell of a racket, but Wright has little to do.” Town won 1-0 and Reading finished with 9 men. They were relegated at the end of that season.
[Post edited 28 May 2020 17:37]

Thanks so much for that. Clearly my memory as was a little hazy on the score line! Wright having little to do certainly was true, I was only young but I remember being in absolute awe of our superiority, no doubt helped by the red cards. Men against boys would’ve been an understatement. I would love to watch that game back now.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Do we give enough credit to Burley and that brilliant 2000 team? on 10:20 - May 30 with 2002 viewsMaySixth

Yes.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024