Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UK government paying for favourable media coverage 07:05 - May 28 with 1256 viewsDubtractor

This is pretty dodgy isn't it?

Taxpayers money being used to prop up a government under pressure seems like the sort of thing we're supposed to criticise other countries for. ..

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 07:15 - May 28 with 1190 viewsDarth_Koont

Indeed.

And the flipside is that The Daily Mail is happy taking the money. Wonder if their recent criticism has a commercial angle too.

Pronouns: He/Him

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 07:35 - May 28 with 1152 viewspointofblue

Surely it’d be better to put the money into the furloughing pot for those in need? I’ve read the article in full and the plus side is it does promote the programme and ask other struggling businesses to apply.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:16 - May 28 with 1099 viewsOldsmoker

The Guardian and Daily Mail have both printed similar Government sponsored articles. Both articles encourage businesses to apply for government support.
That's a good thing but it raises a question.
Has the government conceded that peoples trust in them has eroded so much that they have to place infomercials in newspapers.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:19 - May 28 with 1085 viewspointofblue

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:16 - May 28 by Oldsmoker

The Guardian and Daily Mail have both printed similar Government sponsored articles. Both articles encourage businesses to apply for government support.
Has the government conceded that peoples trust in them has eroded so much that they have to place infomercials in newspapers.

Wasn’t their a poll a month or so again which said the one thing people trusted less than politicians was the media?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:22 - May 28 with 1073 viewsHerbivore

It shouldn't be allowed. Obvious adverts are one thing, paid for articles are something quite different.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:27 - May 28 with 1064 viewsDubtractor

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:16 - May 28 by Oldsmoker

I was going to reply to Koont that a similar ad was in the Guardian too by all acounts.

Promoting the schemes available to people is obviously a good thing.

Dressing it up as a news story that reflects positively on the government very clearly not OK.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:30 - May 28 with 1053 viewsOldsmoker

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:27 - May 28 by Dubtractor

I was going to reply to Koont that a similar ad was in the Guardian too by all acounts.

Dressing it up as a news story that reflects positively on the government very clearly not OK.

At least these articles were readable and not....

Have a Small Business and want some cash?
Page 27 will blow your mind.

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:34 - May 28 with 1038 viewsDarth_Koont

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:27 - May 28 by Dubtractor

I'd be critical of the Guardian too.

They should take the story and write about it if it's in the public interest and helping their readership. Not sure why it's a paid advertorial at all.

Login to get fewer ads

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:43 - May 28 with 1013 viewsOldsmoker

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:34 - May 28 by Darth_Koont

I'd be critical of the Guardian too.

They should take the story and write about it if it's in the public interest and helping their readership. Not sure why it's a paid advertorial at all.

Shirley you've seen the begging pop-ups on the Guardian website for donations and subscriptions?
They need cash and these placed articles pull in about 50 grand.

Edit: It's Surely not Shirley - damn autocorrect.
[Post edited 28 May 2020 8:44]

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:50 - May 28 with 996 viewsDanTheMan

https://www.societyofeditors.org/soe_news/all-in-all-together-uk-government-part

Weirdly this has been going on for a while.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:52 - May 28 with 991 viewsDubtractor

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:50 - May 28 by DanTheMan

https://www.societyofeditors.org/soe_news/all-in-all-together-uk-government-part

Weirdly this has been going on for a while.

That's interesting. I guess that sort of makes it OK, though still sits a little uncomfortably.

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:58 - May 28 with 963 viewsDanTheMan

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:52 - May 28 by Dubtractor

That's interesting. I guess that sort of makes it OK, though still sits a little uncomfortably.

It all depends on the content of the stories really.

If it's just praising the Government for doing a great job, that's not OK.

If it is nice local stories and things about how people are coping then that could be fine.

But you're right, this doesn't sit well with me either. Could have partnered with some charities and let them run it if necessary.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 09:29 - May 28 with 902 viewsDarth_Koont

UK government paying for favourable media coverage on 08:43 - May 28 by Oldsmoker

Shirley you've seen the begging pop-ups on the Guardian website for donations and subscriptions?
They need cash and these placed articles pull in about 50 grand.

Edit: It's Surely not Shirley - damn autocorrect.
[Post edited 28 May 2020 8:44]

Yes. Maybe I'm being too harsh in this particular case.

Unfortunately, I think our press are even worse than our politicians. Indeed they're the principal cause of our awful politicians.

If that means I go studs up, over the top of the ball and catch them once in a while then so be it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024