Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One up to Sunderland 19:44 - May 28 with 5394 viewsbluejacko

Looks like they have got their reward for being the first town to vote leave.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1288162/nissan-sunderland-uk-car-industry-manu

Who would have thought that the Spanish would have a riot?
One up to Sunderland on 20:13 - May 28 with 4925 viewsBarcaBlue

Their reward? 3000 workers in Barcelona have lost their job and a predicted 20000 from the knock-on. The plant has been under threat for years and the way things are here it must be devastating for them and their families for it to finally happen right now.

I have a friend who works (worked) in the paint department there and will let them know that you can now get your blue passport. They'll be comforted.

Rioting? Who would have thought they might be upset? Typical Spanish, eh?
One up to Sunderland on 20:35 - May 28 with 4814 viewsbluejacko

One up to Sunderland on 20:13 - May 28 by BarcaBlue

Their reward? 3000 workers in Barcelona have lost their job and a predicted 20000 from the knock-on. The plant has been under threat for years and the way things are here it must be devastating for them and their families for it to finally happen right now.

I have a friend who works (worked) in the paint department there and will let them know that you can now get your blue passport. They'll be comforted.

Right can’t say I am to fussed! Jobs have been outsourced from this country for years to get some back is good news.
One up to Sunderland on 20:35 - May 28 with 4811 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interesting times ahead for the car industry. Sad blow for Barca, but I imagine there's huge relief in Sunderland that they're not the ones targeted for mass job losses.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

One up to Sunderland on 20:44 - May 28 with 4736 viewstractordownsouth

One up to Sunderland on 20:35 - May 28 by Swansea_Blue

Interesting times ahead for the car industry. Sad blow for Barca, but I imagine there's huge relief in Sunderland that they're not the ones targeted for mass job losses.

Yep, I'm sad for Barca but it's good that a region on the wrong end of inequality is getting a boost. Worryingly for them, the North East is still predicted to be the worst hit by Brexit.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

One up to Sunderland on 20:45 - May 28 with 4731 viewsvapour_trail

One up to Sunderland on 20:35 - May 28 by bluejacko

Right can’t say I am to fussed! Jobs have been outsourced from this country for years to get some back is good news.

Get some back? Are they creating new jobs in Sunderland then? Great news if so, but I didn’t get that in the report I heard, jacko?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

One up to Sunderland on 20:52 - May 28 with 4662 viewsBarcaBlue

One up to Sunderland on 20:35 - May 28 by Swansea_Blue

I'm sure there's huge relief in Sunderland and further out from their suppliers across the country, I'm glad for them. That's not my point though.

The gloating Brexit post ignores the thousands of families here who have just lost their income and have the temerity to burn some tyres - there's not much else they can do.

The Barcelona factory has been rumoured to close for as long as I can remember, the current car industry climate has been the tipping point I guess.

Maybe the UK government has been able to offer better incentives, I don't know, but I do know that it's not a time for Brexit gloating.
One up to Sunderland on 20:53 - May 28 with 4651 viewsSwansea_Blue

One up to Sunderland on 20:45 - May 28 by vapour_trail

Get some back? Are they creating new jobs in Sunderland then? Great news if so, but I didn’t get that in the report I heard, jacko?

No. Just celebrating that they're not closing/cutting the plant. Which in the current environment is a pretty big thing to be fair. The industry's fecked atm.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

One up to Sunderland on 21:00 - May 28 with 4616 viewsvapour_trail

One up to Sunderland on 20:52 - May 28 by BarcaBlue

I'm sure there's huge relief in Sunderland and further out from their suppliers across the country, I'm glad for them. That's not my point though.

The gloating Brexit post ignores the thousands of families here who have just lost their income and have the temerity to burn some tyres - there's not much else they can do.

The Barcelona factory has been rumoured to close for as long as I can remember, the current car industry climate has been the tipping point I guess.

Maybe the UK government has been able to offer better incentives, I don't know, but I do know that it's not a time for Brexit gloating.

Jacko must be right though. Nissan have obviously taken the strategic decision to base their operations in Sunderland, purely because on June 23 2016, Sunderland was the first place to declare for Leave.

Not worth your time, Barca.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Login to get fewer ads

One up to Sunderland on 21:09 - May 28 with 4574 viewsbluejacko

One up to Sunderland on 20:52 - May 28 by BarcaBlue

Not gloating at all, but do you care about the Delphi jobs in Sudbury going to India? or The Philips Jobs going to Holland?

And I don’t recall people from those two companies rioting after losing their jobs.
One up to Sunderland on 21:30 - May 28 with 4480 viewsBarcaBlue

One up to Sunderland on 21:09 - May 28 by bluejacko

Not gloating at all, but do you care about the Delphi jobs in Sudbury going to India? or The Philips Jobs going to Holland?

And I don’t recall people from those two companies rioting after losing their jobs.

1 - 0 to Sunderland suggests otherwise.

The jobs from Barcelona aren't going anywhere, they are being lost. They burnt some tyres ffs, it's not like they were torching the factory.
One up to Sunderland on 21:35 - May 28 with 4459 viewsEwan_Oozami

It is good news for Sunderland but I doubt it's anything to do with Brexit other than May's govt offering incentives to stay to mitigate any potential trading issues with the EU.

The Japanese are very pragmatic when it comes to business and I suspect the fact that they have invested so much in Sunderland previously to make it an ultra-modern factory prompted them to keep it going..

As for outsourcing, don't get me started on that - I work in IT where a huge amount has been outsourced over the years, and recently, many UK companies have realised, given the state of their IT systems and customer servcie functions, what a bad idea it was.

I presume you're a member of a union if you're so against outsourcing?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

One up to Sunderland on 21:37 - May 28 with 4445 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This article sounds rather like they are keeping a presence in Sunderland (but not growing it) while their partners Renault and Mitsubishi are taking on the European market.

The telling part is in both articles where it says: "Nissan said it would focus on several "key markets", including Japan, North America and China". Doesn't sound anything like as promising as the Express seems to make it sound.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52829348

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

One up to Sunderland on 08:09 - May 29 with 4154 viewsbluejacko

One up to Sunderland on 21:35 - May 28 by Ewan_Oozami

It is good news for Sunderland but I doubt it's anything to do with Brexit other than May's govt offering incentives to stay to mitigate any potential trading issues with the EU.

The Japanese are very pragmatic when it comes to business and I suspect the fact that they have invested so much in Sunderland previously to make it an ultra-modern factory prompted them to keep it going..

As for outsourcing, don't get me started on that - I work in IT where a huge amount has been outsourced over the years, and recently, many UK companies have realised, given the state of their IT systems and customer servcie functions, what a bad idea it was.

I presume you're a member of a union if you're so against outsourcing?

The Sunderland tag was obviously tongue in cheek but you can without a doubt say that if the decision had been to close Sunderland then it would have been triumphed on here as you voted BREXIT this is what you get!
I am not in a union but my son is in IT and he says what you have said pay ‘cheap’ that’s what you get! As for caring about jobs abroad I make no apology for putting the UK first.
One up to Sunderland on 08:28 - May 29 with 4118 viewsElephantintheRoom

One up to Sunderland on 08:09 - May 29 by bluejacko

The Sunderland tag was obviously tongue in cheek but you can without a doubt say that if the decision had been to close Sunderland then it would have been triumphed on here as you voted BREXIT this is what you get!
I am not in a union but my son is in IT and he says what you have said pay ‘cheap’ that’s what you get! As for caring about jobs abroad I make no apology for putting the UK first.

You are aware that NIssan is a Japanese company - and one that can trade tariff free with the EU but not with Britain?

The only way this foreign company can continue to trade in the UK is with the benefit of huge incentives, paid for by the British taxpayer.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

One up to Sunderland on 10:06 - May 29 with 4000 viewsbluejacko

One up to Sunderland on 08:28 - May 29 by ElephantintheRoom

You are aware that NIssan is a Japanese company - and one that can trade tariff free with the EU but not with Britain?

The only way this foreign company can continue to trade in the UK is with the benefit of huge incentives, paid for by the British taxpayer.

So you would rather have had Sunderland close?
One up to Sunderland on 10:10 - May 29 with 3983 viewsmonytowbray

I suppose considering we'll be a sweatshop nation of cheap labour within the next two decades they may as well move operations here now.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

One up to Sunderland on 11:39 - May 29 with 3894 viewsElephantintheRoom

One up to Sunderland on 10:06 - May 29 by bluejacko

So you would rather have had Sunderland close?

Yes. The people of Sunderland don't want their car plant - so why on earth would I?. It will close anyway after huge amounts of taxpayers money (which we can no longer afford) are thrown into the leaking bucket for a couple of years,depending if there is any market for their offerings. It's completely unsustainable to build cars in a country on the other side of the world that has cut itself off from the real world.

We need to support jobs that will benefit the UK as we plunge into a recession.... I suspect that the healthcare system in wearside needs a few thousand extras - that will be a start with the added benefit of fewer japanese cars on the road.

One up to Sunderland on 12:04 - May 29 with 3861 viewsBarcaBlue

One up to Sunderland on 21:00 - May 28 by vapour_trail

Jacko must be right though. Nissan have obviously taken the strategic decision to base their operations in Sunderland, purely because on June 23 2016, Sunderland was the first place to declare for Leave.

Not worth your time, Barca.

I make you right.

61 million quid given to Nissan UK in 2018 alone to comfort Bexit fears (I haven't checked for other sweeteners over the past 15 years)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/04/government-letter-to-nissan-rev

The Catalan government has provided 25 million euros to Nissan in total over the last 15 years.

https://www.lavanguardia.com/economia/20200528/481434971373/torra-nissan-cierre-

Must have been Brext wot did it.
One up to Sunderland on 14:44 - May 29 with 3737 viewsbluejacko

One up to Sunderland on 11:39 - May 29 by ElephantintheRoom

Yes. The people of Sunderland don't want their car plant - so why on earth would I?. It will close anyway after huge amounts of taxpayers money (which we can no longer afford) are thrown into the leaking bucket for a couple of years,depending if there is any market for their offerings. It's completely unsustainable to build cars in a country on the other side of the world that has cut itself off from the real world.

We need to support jobs that will benefit the UK as we plunge into a recession.... I suspect that the healthcare system in wearside needs a few thousand extras - that will be a start with the added benefit of fewer japanese cars on the road.

Have you any proof of the ‘people’ of Sunderland wanting rid of their main employer?
The Unite Union seems rather pleased the place is not closing and although they offered sympathy to their Spanish brothers they stopped short of actually saying we dont want Nissan here take them back Barcelona!
One up to Sunderland on 15:52 - May 29 with 3684 viewsElephantintheRoom

One up to Sunderland on 14:44 - May 29 by bluejacko

Have you any proof of the ‘people’ of Sunderland wanting rid of their main employer?
The Unite Union seems rather pleased the place is not closing and although they offered sympathy to their Spanish brothers they stopped short of actually saying we dont want Nissan here take them back Barcelona!

Yes of course.... the Brexit referendum.

It was made abundantly clear by Proect Fear/Reality that cutting the umbilical cord with Europe and the just in time supply chain would make the plant redundant and make closure inevitable.

I don't recall anyone mentioning the impending EU trade deal with Japan, a decade in the making, that made cars an tarrif-free item - but those in the real world knew about it - which made the Sunderland vote a doubling down on economic lunacy and self harm.

That is why Theresa May had to give huge tax bungs to keep the plan operational (at least for the possibly very brief lifetime of their hybrid cars. Closure is utterly inevitable because the plant is now unsustainable in the post-covid world, hamstrung by Brexit.

One up to Sunderland on 15:56 - May 29 with 3674 viewsbluejacko

One up to Sunderland on 15:52 - May 29 by ElephantintheRoom

Yes of course.... the Brexit referendum.

It was made abundantly clear by Proect Fear/Reality that cutting the umbilical cord with Europe and the just in time supply chain would make the plant redundant and make closure inevitable.

I don't recall anyone mentioning the impending EU trade deal with Japan, a decade in the making, that made cars an tarrif-free item - but those in the real world knew about it - which made the Sunderland vote a doubling down on economic lunacy and self harm.

That is why Theresa May had to give huge tax bungs to keep the plan operational (at least for the possibly very brief lifetime of their hybrid cars. Closure is utterly inevitable because the plant is now unsustainable in the post-covid world, hamstrung by Brexit.

Oh ok then just your opinion 👍
One up to Sunderland on 19:39 - May 29 with 3523 viewsfergalsharkey

One up to Sunderland on 20:13 - May 28 by BarcaBlue

Just had my new passport.
Ain't blue.

Poll: Cook out?

One up to Sunderland on 08:44 - Jun 3 with 3179 viewsHerbivore

Looks like you may have jumped the gun on this a bit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52900528

The factory is only safe if we maintain the same tariff free trading with the EU that we have now. I'm not sure how we end up there as things stand.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

One up to Sunderland on 08:47 - Jun 3 with 3165 viewsNthsuffolkblue

One up to Sunderland on 08:44 - Jun 3 by Herbivore

Looks like you may have jumped the gun on this a bit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52900528

The factory is only safe if we maintain the same tariff free trading with the EU that we have now. I'm not sure how we end up there as things stand.

"Project Fear". Once lockdown is over you will be able to head to Lowestoft and watch the fishing fleet sail out to rule the waves again.

No more Icelandic fleets stealing our fish because the EU allowed us to sell our rights to them.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

One up to Sunderland on 11:24 - Jun 3 with 3035 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

One up to Sunderland on 20:45 - May 28 by vapour_trail

I thought I heard they are moving some Renault jobs there too , sister company.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024