Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Older posters and history enthusiasts 22:10 - May 28 with 3544 viewsgtsb1966

Watching on Yesterday...The World at War. Is there a better series of documentaries on this subject. If there is could anyone point me in the right direction. I've seen these all before but this is brilliant.
[Post edited 28 May 2020 22:11]
Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:25 - May 28 with 2052 viewsGuthrum

I'm not sure there is.

Tho Mark Felton's extensive series of short documentaries (often about little-known or off-beat events) on YouTube are excellent, too:

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:30 - May 28 with 2030 viewsmidastouch

You might enjoy these:

18 Episodes in all.
Not as good as the World at War but still worth a watch.
You might like this one as well (see the following link) if you can pick it up on DVD (I used to have it on VHS video):
https://www.historytoday.com/archive/great-war-television-history-revisited
"The Great War was a twenty-six-part series on the First World War made in 1964 to mark the fiftieth anniversary of the outbreak of the war. Apparently pubs emptied early on Wednesday nights when it was first shown."

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:32 - May 28 with 2025 viewsmidastouch

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:25 - May 28 by Guthrum

I'm not sure there is.

Tho Mark Felton's extensive series of short documentaries (often about little-known or off-beat events) on YouTube are excellent, too:

I enjoy the Mark Felton channel too. I think he's from Colchester. He's built up a loyal following on YouTube with his regular video postings.
Here's a short Felton video:

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:33 - May 28 with 2017 viewsgtsb1966

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:30 - May 28 by midastouch

You might enjoy these:

18 Episodes in all.
Not as good as the World at War but still worth a watch.
You might like this one as well (see the following link) if you can pick it up on DVD (I used to have it on VHS video):
https://www.historytoday.com/archive/great-war-television-history-revisited
"The Great War was a twenty-six-part series on the First World War made in 1964 to mark the fiftieth anniversary of the outbreak of the war. Apparently pubs emptied early on Wednesday nights when it was first shown."

Thank you. I'll watch that tomorrow morning.
Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:34 - May 28 with 2011 viewsPlums

Not a TV show but have you listened to the We Have Ways podcast? A really good insight into all things Second World War.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:35 - May 28 with 2008 viewsgtsb1966

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:32 - May 28 by midastouch

I enjoy the Mark Felton channel too. I think he's from Colchester. He's built up a loyal following on YouTube with his regular video postings.
Here's a short Felton video:

Thank you. I'll look at him too.
Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:35 - May 28 with 2006 viewsmidastouch

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:33 - May 28 by gtsb1966

Thank you. I'll watch that tomorrow morning.

Enjoy, they should keep you going for a bit.
Definitely have a look at the Mark Felton channel too.
Here's another good video of his:

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:35 - May 28 with 2008 viewsWicklowBlue

The World at War is excellent! Can't disagree at all. But as an aside I would really recommend on the same channel... Abandoned Engineering.

Just been chatting with my dad on this subject. He is ex RAF and we've been having a great discussion on WhatsApp around Orford-Ness, Bawdley and Porton Down.
Login to get fewer ads

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:38 - May 28 with 1996 viewsgtsb1966

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:35 - May 28 by WicklowBlue

The World at War is excellent! Can't disagree at all. But as an aside I would really recommend on the same channel... Abandoned Engineering.

Just been chatting with my dad on this subject. He is ex RAF and we've been having a great discussion on WhatsApp around Orford-Ness, Bawdley and Porton Down.

Thanks. I've seen a lot Abandoned Engineering on Yesterday. I watched something about Guernsey tonight. It was so overly fortified that it was unbelievable.
Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:40 - May 28 with 1989 viewsmidastouch

You might like this as well:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000b1gn/arena-a-british-guide-to-the-end-

A haunting film about Britain and the nuclear age, from the first bomb tests to our potentially futile preparations for attack during the Cold War. Framed by Britain's mission to build the bomb, A British Guide to the End of the World uses extraordinary unseen archive and exclusive testimonies from people directly involved in our nuclear story, from conscripted soldiers attending the early nuclear tests in the South Pacific to servicemen, volunteers and civil servants involved in the planning of how we might have managed in the event of a nuclear catastrophe.

Accompanied by an atmospheric score, the film features classified footage, hidden for decades, as well as television reports and government information videos that retain the spirit of Cold War paranoia. Horrifying, absurd and at times achingly poignant, the film recaptures a time of stockpiled paranoia that left a generation traumatised.

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:45 - May 28 with 1968 viewsfactual_blue

As a series it is excellent. Particularly fascinating to see a number of senior characters from the war (politicians and soldiers alike, and both Allied and German) give their perspectives.

Those people are of course long gone, and documentary series of that length tend not to get made any more. But there is the gain that more archive material is available to give greater depth and insight. Many of the recent individual documentaries on specific episodes are very informative.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:46 - May 28 with 1961 viewsgtsb1966

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:40 - May 28 by midastouch

You might like this as well:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000b1gn/arena-a-british-guide-to-the-end-

A haunting film about Britain and the nuclear age, from the first bomb tests to our potentially futile preparations for attack during the Cold War. Framed by Britain's mission to build the bomb, A British Guide to the End of the World uses extraordinary unseen archive and exclusive testimonies from people directly involved in our nuclear story, from conscripted soldiers attending the early nuclear tests in the South Pacific to servicemen, volunteers and civil servants involved in the planning of how we might have managed in the event of a nuclear catastrophe.

Accompanied by an atmospheric score, the film features classified footage, hidden for decades, as well as television reports and government information videos that retain the spirit of Cold War paranoia. Horrifying, absurd and at times achingly poignant, the film recaptures a time of stockpiled paranoia that left a generation traumatised.

I left school in 82. I remember the Two Tribes video and watching the news. I'll admit now I was so worried.
Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:49 - May 28 with 1954 viewsWicklowBlue

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:38 - May 28 by gtsb1966

Thanks. I've seen a lot Abandoned Engineering on Yesterday. I watched something about Guernsey tonight. It was so overly fortified that it was unbelievable.

Yes indeed I saw that episode, basically Hitler was obsessed by the channel Islands being a key part of the Battle of Britain and the Atlantic wall.

Most of the episodes are fascinating although they don't go deep into the subjects.
Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:50 - May 28 with 1947 viewsmidastouch

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:46 - May 28 by gtsb1966

I left school in 82. I remember the Two Tribes video and watching the news. I'll admit now I was so worried.

When I was a kid I read "When the Wind Blows" by Raymond Briggs. The same guy as made the Snowman. It obviously wasn't a happy ending like you get in most stories for children!

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:54 - May 28 with 1921 viewsgtsb1966

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 22:50 - May 28 by midastouch

When I was a kid I read "When the Wind Blows" by Raymond Briggs. The same guy as made the Snowman. It obviously wasn't a happy ending like you get in most stories for children!

I've just read the synopsis. That is so strange.
Older posters and history enthusiasts on 23:01 - May 28 with 1907 viewscatch74

On a similar note - I have a couple of letters and some photos of my grandmothers friends - a bit of a sad WW1 tale - should I pop them on here? If anyone could tell me the best way to display photos on here I’ll put them on, a bit of lockdown reading.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 23:07 - May 28 with 1887 viewsmidastouch

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 23:01 - May 28 by catch74

On a similar note - I have a couple of letters and some photos of my grandmothers friends - a bit of a sad WW1 tale - should I pop them on here? If anyone could tell me the best way to display photos on here I’ll put them on, a bit of lockdown reading.

Please do. Would love to hear. My nanny's brother Kenny (from Beccles) survived Dunkirk but died as a POW in Japan if anybody wanted to hear about that? He got taken prisoner at Singapore.

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 23:15 - May 28 with 1857 viewsfactual_blue

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/faq#imagehd

You should seriously consider depositing them with your local records office or the appropriate regimental museum.

Make sure they are preserved properly.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 23:15 - May 28 with 1857 viewsmidastouch

I think most of you on this thread would enjoy a visit here (if you dare venture into Norfolk!) if you haven't already been before:
https://www.muckleburgh.co.uk/
And here as well:
https://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 23:20 - May 28 with 1833 viewsmidastouch

Forgot to say, you can use a website such as this one https://snipboard.io/ to post photos on here although you will need to quickly register an account in order to do so.

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 01:52 - May 29 with 1737 viewsKievthegreat

Mark Felton videos are great short tales of events I doubt most will even have heard about before.

Other WW2 recommendations on Youtube would be:

World War 2 - Posting WW2 as it happened with weekly videos detailing what happened each week 79 years ago, plus various special episodes. (also have a channel which did WW1 in the same way).

Military History Visualised - a very analytical channel that doesn't show footage, but looks at numbers. Not completely WW2 but heavily biased towards.

Drachinifel - if you like Naval History then this is the channel for you. Some of the content is massive in size so I've only scratched the surface. He covers everything from 1700s onwards, but have plenty of WW2 based videos.

None are of the same magnitude as The World at War, but all have great content well worth watching.
Older posters and history enthusiasts on 08:11 - May 29 with 1666 viewsElephantintheRoom

Maybe not on this subject -- but the docuseries on on the US Civil War by Ken Burns is pretty impressive... well worth watching thirty years on

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 08:21 - May 29 with 1654 viewsmidastouch

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 01:52 - May 29 by Kievthegreat

Mark Felton videos are great short tales of events I doubt most will even have heard about before.

Other WW2 recommendations on Youtube would be:

World War 2 - Posting WW2 as it happened with weekly videos detailing what happened each week 79 years ago, plus various special episodes. (also have a channel which did WW1 in the same way).

Military History Visualised - a very analytical channel that doesn't show footage, but looks at numbers. Not completely WW2 but heavily biased towards.

Drachinifel - if you like Naval History then this is the channel for you. Some of the content is massive in size so I've only scratched the surface. He covers everything from 1700s onwards, but have plenty of WW2 based videos.

None are of the same magnitude as The World at War, but all have great content well worth watching.

Thanks for sharing those.
I can't get those YouTube links to work my end for some reason, not sure if it's a problem with my browser.
The way you describe the World War 2 weekly videos makes me think it's the same guy as did these:

You did say he had a channel that did the same for World War 1 so I expect it's the same guy. Must of taken him ages to compile all those videos. I remember watching some of those and it's hard to get your head around the sheer volume of combatants involved. And the Austrians had an awful time of it! They must of had some of the most incompetent military leaders in WW1. Of course all sides had problems with their military hierarchy but when I watched his video series the Habsburg Empire definitely stood out as having the biggest problems in that regard (especially over the earlier period of hostilities).
Hew Strachan has written some very detailed books about World War 1 for any of you that might be interested. And Gary Sheffield's Forgotten Victory is worth a read too.

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 08:25 - May 29 with 1648 viewsmidastouch

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 08:21 - May 29 by midastouch

Thanks for sharing those.
I can't get those YouTube links to work my end for some reason, not sure if it's a problem with my browser.
The way you describe the World War 2 weekly videos makes me think it's the same guy as did these:

You did say he had a channel that did the same for World War 1 so I expect it's the same guy. Must of taken him ages to compile all those videos. I remember watching some of those and it's hard to get your head around the sheer volume of combatants involved. And the Austrians had an awful time of it! They must of had some of the most incompetent military leaders in WW1. Of course all sides had problems with their military hierarchy but when I watched his video series the Habsburg Empire definitely stood out as having the biggest problems in that regard (especially over the earlier period of hostilities).
Hew Strachan has written some very detailed books about World War 1 for any of you that might be interested. And Gary Sheffield's Forgotten Victory is worth a read too.

Even the video I just posted isn't working my end now so must be something up with my browser. If it doesn't work your end just type in /user/TheGreatWar after youtube.com.
Here is a screenshot of the channel so you can see the URL address at the top:

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 08:26 - May 29 with 1644 viewsbluelagos

Older posters and history enthusiasts on 08:11 - May 29 by ElephantintheRoom

Maybe not on this subject -- but the docuseries on on the US Civil War by Ken Burns is pretty impressive... well worth watching thirty years on

His vietnam war series comes much recommended from this poster too.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024