Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? 00:35 - May 29 with 9600 viewsGirthyguy

Just wondered if anyone has experienced anything that you just cannot logically explain. Whether it be ghosts etc. Just wondered if anyone had any tales to tell.
Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 00:49 - May 29 with 4462 viewsJ2BLUE

Just wondered if anyone has experienced anything that you just cannot logically explain.

Keith Lemon getting tv work.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 01:10 - May 29 with 4438 viewsfactual_blue

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 00:49 - May 29 by J2BLUE

Just wondered if anyone has experienced anything that you just cannot logically explain.

Keith Lemon getting tv work.

dominic cummings

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 01:33 - May 29 with 4425 viewsBLUEBEAT

This was quite a lengthy topic last year, I believe... 👻

Poll: W or W

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 09:31 - May 29 with 4291 viewsGuthrum

Was quite involved in psychical research in my youth, still friends with some of the leading experimental/theoretical figures in the field. Took part in a lot of vigils in allegedly haunted properties and locations.

Overall, I'm mildly skeptical, especially of the whole "the ghost is this specific dead person" thing (particularly where the evidence for the existence of said individual is flimsy at best).

But, on the other hand, I have had some odd experiences, not immediately explicable. I also believe that there could be natural effects not yet discovered by physics (e.g. around the transfer of energy or recording of information), which may one day explain some of these phenomena in a quantifiable fashion.

An example of an interesting incident from about 25 years ago:

On one occasion, we took a psychic (a very genuine lady and not one of these public performing types) down to see a case. It was in another town and she hadn't been told where she was going. During the session, she came out with stuff which was fairly specific, but didn't match up with the story associated with the building (names, time period). My general skepticism about mediums was confirmed. However, later research turned up a newspaper report from 90 years earlier (i.e. well before the psychic was born) of an event relating to the building which very closely matched her reading (descriptions broadly right, names phoenetically very similar), not the "known" story.

Now it's faintly possible that she may have known of an extremely obscure event which took place several decades before her birth in another town and which differed from the popular tale. But not a very high probability. We had given her no opportunity to do that kind of in-depth research beforehand.

Odd and quite fascinating. I'm still very skeptical about psychics, tho.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 09:57 - May 29 with 4253 viewsDarth_Koont

I think we underestimate the capacity of our brains to deceive us as it tries to make sense of the world and interpret lots of different stimuli and raw data. We should have some sense of that because when we sleep we all have vivid and realistic hallucinations just trying to interpret the random firing of neurones.

I've even had my own experience of seeing a ghost in broad daylight that I stared at for 30 seconds before realising what I was seeing. If I had looked away or run away, it would have convinced me and I was a total sceptic before as well.

Pronouns: He/Him

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 09:58 - May 29 with 4256 viewsKeno

I once saw a brilliant and much loved long running post disappear from a football forum

doesn't that count?

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 10:23 - May 29 with 4223 viewsmonytowbray

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 09:31 - May 29 by Guthrum

Was quite involved in psychical research in my youth, still friends with some of the leading experimental/theoretical figures in the field. Took part in a lot of vigils in allegedly haunted properties and locations.

Overall, I'm mildly skeptical, especially of the whole "the ghost is this specific dead person" thing (particularly where the evidence for the existence of said individual is flimsy at best).

But, on the other hand, I have had some odd experiences, not immediately explicable. I also believe that there could be natural effects not yet discovered by physics (e.g. around the transfer of energy or recording of information), which may one day explain some of these phenomena in a quantifiable fashion.

An example of an interesting incident from about 25 years ago:

On one occasion, we took a psychic (a very genuine lady and not one of these public performing types) down to see a case. It was in another town and she hadn't been told where she was going. During the session, she came out with stuff which was fairly specific, but didn't match up with the story associated with the building (names, time period). My general skepticism about mediums was confirmed. However, later research turned up a newspaper report from 90 years earlier (i.e. well before the psychic was born) of an event relating to the building which very closely matched her reading (descriptions broadly right, names phoenetically very similar), not the "known" story.

Now it's faintly possible that she may have known of an extremely obscure event which took place several decades before her birth in another town and which differed from the popular tale. But not a very high probability. We had given her no opportunity to do that kind of in-depth research beforehand.

Odd and quite fascinating. I'm still very skeptical about psychics, tho.

I'm of the opinion there are multiple senses we cannot pick up as humans but occasionally we get a glimmer of them when the requirements to do so align. Some of these could be replays of the past, be it through the energy of someone else's memory (potentially dead but still exists as an energy) or even alternative realities all layered on top of each other.

I have no proof, I'm not a scientist, but I think there are rational explanations out there for the paranormal we are yet to crack the code to.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 10:27 - May 29 with 4214 viewsKeno

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 10:23 - May 29 by monytowbray

I'm of the opinion there are multiple senses we cannot pick up as humans but occasionally we get a glimmer of them when the requirements to do so align. Some of these could be replays of the past, be it through the energy of someone else's memory (potentially dead but still exists as an energy) or even alternative realities all layered on top of each other.

I have no proof, I'm not a scientist, but I think there are rational explanations out there for the paranormal we are yet to crack the code to.

I tend to agreed that there are things that happen that we just dont fully understand

like Lambert getting 5 year deal

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 10:36 - May 29 with 4202 viewssparks

Lets just clear up the smuggled loaded question...

Being unable to explain something does not mean it is paranormal- it means you dont yet have an explanation.

Quite how one would ever investigate or conclude something paranormal is beyond me.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 10:39 - May 29 with 4186 viewsmonytowbray

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 10:36 - May 29 by sparks

Being unable to explain something does not mean it is paranormal- it means you dont yet have an explanation.

Quite how one would ever investigate or conclude something paranormal is beyond me.

Well once you understand it it's no longer paranormal, it's normal.

Therefore the word to me has always meant "sh1t we don't understand (yet)."

Much like a UFO would become an IFO if we ever sussed out what they are.

TWTD never forgets…

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 10:40 - May 29 with 4162 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 10:36 - May 29 by sparks

Definition of paranormal as per Cambridge Dictionary:

impossible to explain by known natural forces or by science

So not having a known explanation means that something is by definition, paranormal

Nice to see you once again having medalled when it comes to language Bullers

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 10:44 - May 29 with 4145 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I’ve woken up several times wondering how on earth I got somewhere, but it turns out I was just drunk rather than anything untoward

On a serious note I can’t say I have, I know plenty of people who have insisted on there being ghosts present in places etc but have always been a sceptic, to be honest I think it’s all a load of rubbish

But then maybe one day something will happen and I’ll completely change my mind, so who knows

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 10:47 - May 29 with 4152 viewsmonytowbray

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 10:44 - May 29 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I’ve woken up several times wondering how on earth I got somewhere, but it turns out I was just drunk rather than anything untoward

On a serious note I can’t say I have, I know plenty of people who have insisted on there being ghosts present in places etc but have always been a sceptic, to be honest I think it’s all a load of rubbish

But then maybe one day something will happen and I’ll completely change my mind, so who knows

I think it's something do to with energy. I get vibes off some places, I can't explain why but I've lived in two places that just oozed negative energy. Had a real impact on my mental health and human interactions in said places.

TWTD never forgets…

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 11:00 - May 29 with 4125 viewsSwansea_Blue

Being a pedantic tit, isn't that the literal definition of 'paranormal'?

Para, from the Greek for against, beyond, contrary to
Normal - meaning, er, normal. From the Latin normalis

Anyway, the only reason things can't be explained is because that's the way God designed things

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 11:07 - May 29 with 4107 viewsfooters

An ex of mine swears blind she saw a ghost in a fireplace once. Apparently the room became very cold and all she could hear was a deafening scream.

I'm not sure pointing out that several of her family members suffer from schizoaffective disorders and that may have been a more likely reason was the best thing to do.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 11:20 - May 29 with 4084 viewsRyorry

I once dreamt something very, very specific which didn't happen till the next day - the image, time & place were exact. Got roundly scoffed when I described it on here some years back, people put it down to coincidence but it was much too specific & unique to have been that. I'm not going to repeat it as I don't have time or inclination for a second circular argument.

It led me to think there might be two kinds of "time".

Edit: PS It spooked me out at the time, and is doing so again just recalling it! Was about someone who had been close to me (and who was still alive at the time, not a "ghost" story). Haven't experienced anything like it since, seems to have been a one-off.
[Post edited 29 May 2020 11:26]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 11:41 - May 29 with 4060 viewsFenland_Blue

I had a genuine UFO experience in broad daylight in 2003. Playing cricket at Brockley, I was fielding on the boundary and hadn't had the ball hit my way for a while and was I looking around the sky and spotted a large lead grey/silver classic UFO disc shaped object.

It was totally silent, it seemed close and was large in size hovering fairly high in the sky, then it started to fall quickly towards the ground in a spinning motion (the same as when you flip a coin) I turned back to the game as the next ball was being bowled and thought they must be an explosion coming when it hit's the ground. When I looked up again about 5 seconds later and it was gone, not a trace in the sky.

It never crossed my mind to shout out to tell the 50 odd people to look upwards, it has changed my outlook on life, perhaps we aren't alone? Never told anybody else about it but count myself lucky as only 5% of UFO sightings are truly unexplainable.

Up and mainly down, following Town since 88

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 11:44 - May 29 with 4049 viewsSwansea_Blue

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 11:20 - May 29 by Ryorry

I once dreamt something very, very specific which didn't happen till the next day - the image, time & place were exact. Got roundly scoffed when I described it on here some years back, people put it down to coincidence but it was much too specific & unique to have been that. I'm not going to repeat it as I don't have time or inclination for a second circular argument.

Edit: PS It spooked me out at the time, and is doing so again just recalling it! Was about someone who had been close to me (and who was still alive at the time, not a "ghost" story). Haven't experienced anything like it since, seems to have been a one-off.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24532770-400-we-may-have-spotted-a-parall

You should be a test case. You could be holding the secrets to a parallel universe going backwards (or have eaten too much cheese before going to bed!).

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 11:45 - May 29 with 4041 viewsfooters

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 11:20 - May 29 by Ryorry

Italians have long known there are two kinds of time - theirs and yours. One is an extremely precious commodity and the other is worth less than nothing.
[Post edited 29 May 2020 11:45]

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 11:49 - May 29 with 4025 viewsRyorry

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 11:44 - May 29 by Swansea_Blue

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24532770-400-we-may-have-spotted-a-parall

You should be a test case. You could be holding the secrets to a parallel universe going backwards (or have eaten too much cheese before going to bed!).

Looks interesting, bookmarked for reading later, ta.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 11:54 - May 29 with 4016 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I have a couple of similar dream-related stories. Tell me what you think of these...

1) About 11-12 years ago, the manager of the football team I played for as a child was diagnosed with cancer. I hadn't seen either him or his son (who also played for the team), for several months, but I had been told by someone else that the dad had cancer. One night I had a dream where the son was sitting by himself on one of the benches in our old changing room, crying. A couple of days later, I found out that his dad had died. Now you could potentially argue this one as pure coincidence; I had in my sub-conscious mind the relevant information for a dream along these lines to reasonably manifest itself.

2) This one is weirder, and occured about a year later. When I was at 6th Form, there was a particular teacher who I knew nothing about, other then her name. I had never had her as a teacher, and I had never spoken to her. I knew absolutely nothing about her. One night I had a dream where she was walking through the 6th Form main corridor, crying. The next day we were all called into a year assembly and were told that during the night her son had been stabbed to death, and that she wouldn't be coming into school for a while. How do I reasonably explain this one? Can this one also just be a completely random coincidence? I'm not so sure.
[Post edited 29 May 2020 11:55]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 11:56 - May 29 with 4009 viewsjaykay

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 10:39 - May 29 by monytowbray

Well once you understand it it's no longer paranormal, it's normal.

Therefore the word to me has always meant "sh1t we don't understand (yet)."

Much like a UFO would become an IFO if we ever sussed out what they are.

i was saw a name change on a forum

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 12:16 - May 29 with 3969 viewssparks

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 11:00 - May 29 by Swansea_Blue

Being a pedantic tit, isn't that the literal definition of 'paranormal'?

Para, from the Greek for against, beyond, contrary to
Normal - meaning, er, normal. From the Latin normalis

Anyway, the only reason things can't be explained is because that's the way God designed things

If people want to use paranormal to mean unexplained- fine. If they make that clear.

What happens is they use it to mean unexplained, and then (by the very use of the wordx "paranormal") smuggle in the idea or conclusion that we are talking about god, ghosts, magic, telepathy etc. The "Supernatural". When we are really just saying "dont know".
[Post edited 29 May 2020 12:19]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 12:41 - May 29 with 3920 viewsmonytowbray

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 11:56 - May 29 by jaykay

i was saw a name change on a forum

Dunno what you're on about. Fake news.

TWTD never forgets…

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 12:44 - May 29 with 3903 viewsSwansea_Blue

Paranormal Activities. Have you ever experienced them? on 12:16 - May 29 by sparks

If people want to use paranormal to mean unexplained- fine. If they make that clear.

What happens is they use it to mean unexplained, and then (by the very use of the wordx "paranormal") smuggle in the idea or conclusion that we are talking about god, ghosts, magic, telepathy etc. The "Supernatural". When we are really just saying "dont know".
[Post edited 29 May 2020 12:19]

I know and you're quite right, the term isn't being used by these groups in its purest sense. I was just being a pedantic tit.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024