Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
35 Years Ago Today 08:50 - May 29 with 1431 viewsartsbossbeard

Thousands of football fans went to see a game of football, 39 never came home.

The Echo has an article on it this year complete with a B&W picture - like it's of another age and 35yrs doesn't represent the LFC of now.

A Cummings-esque lack of apology is evident (or non-evident) whilst, naturally, blaming the stadia still.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/heysel-remembered-n

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

35 Years Ago Today on 09:10 - May 29 with 1370 viewsBloomBlue

That's how it was, the Liverpool chairman even tried to blame it on Chelsea and Millwall fans dressed up in Liverpool shirts, one of the reasons why Chelsea fans hate L'pool so much.

Basically Liverpool fans went out got plssed and attacked and killed Juventus fans, the blame was and is squarely with the Liverpool fans.
35 Years Ago Today on 09:17 - May 29 with 1334 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Has there ever been an official apology?

I remember as a kid in the 90's I was on holiday in France and a mate was wearing a Liverpool shirt. An Italian lad got really angry just at the sight of the shirt.

That was the first I'd ever heard of Heysel, same goes for the Pool supporter.

80's was a bad decade for stadium disasters wasn't it! Glad we learned lessons.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

35 Years Ago Today on 09:33 - May 29 with 1278 viewsblueprint

They always refer to Heysel being a “crumbling stadium”. We played in worse stadiums in the 80s and didn’t go on the ramapage.
35 Years Ago Today on 09:35 - May 29 with 1272 viewsBryanPlug

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

35 Years Ago Today on 09:36 - May 29 with 1259 viewsfooters

35 Years Ago Today on 09:35 - May 29 by BryanPlug

You've been a proper tit lately.

We're talking about dozens of people's deaths here ffs.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

35 Years Ago Today on 09:39 - May 29 with 1236 viewsbrazil1982

One of my earliest memories of football on TV, a terrible season for fan violence.
Not excusing anything, but the stadium was shoddy and authorities were surprised it had been chosen to host the final (source: can't recall sorry).

Shocking too that the match still went ahead.
35 Years Ago Today on 09:42 - May 29 with 1218 viewsMattinLondon

Not sure if this s reflective of their fan base as a whole - a Liverpool fan I got talking to once I insisted that both clubs were equally to blame. He was quite an idiot so he probably didn’t know what he was talking about.
35 Years Ago Today on 10:04 - May 29 with 1165 viewsBlueBadger

35 Years Ago Today on 09:35 - May 29 by BryanPlug

Try not to be a prat, there's a dear.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

35 Years Ago Today on 10:43 - May 29 with 1103 viewsRadlett_blue

35 Years Ago Today on 09:39 - May 29 by brazil1982

One of my earliest memories of football on TV, a terrible season for fan violence.
Not excusing anything, but the stadium was shoddy and authorities were surprised it had been chosen to host the final (source: can't recall sorry).

Shocking too that the match still went ahead.

The match went ahead - and Liverpool didn't seem to be trying too hard as I think their players knew fans had died - because abandonment would have brought the greater risk of a full scale riot. Playing the match and not allowing Liverpool to win - which seemed to have been decided - was the right decision.
[Post edited 29 May 2020 10:43]

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024