Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What time does Trumpy wake up? 09:00 - May 29 with 3488 viewsartsbossbeard

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52846679

*gets comfy*

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 09:41 - May 29 with 2455 viewsDarth_Koont

Yes, this is going to be a corker.

It strikes me that social media might turn out to be better at holding lying politicians and governments to account than the media. The traditional media can't afford to de-platform Trump because he's way too important to their business models, for social media it would cause a very minor ripple.

Pronouns: He/Him

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 09:55 - May 29 with 2411 viewsgiant_stow

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 09:41 - May 29 by Darth_Koont

Yes, this is going to be a corker.

It strikes me that social media might turn out to be better at holding lying politicians and governments to account than the media. The traditional media can't afford to de-platform Trump because he's way too important to their business models, for social media it would cause a very minor ripple.

Twitter seems to ave been his main tool for getting his crap out there, while MSM has been holding him to account, so I wouldn;t go too weak at the knees.

I imagine too that a lot of people who've felt the sh1t end of Twitter and co, may have some sympathy with his threats to do away with that legal platform shield thingy.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:02 - May 29 with 2393 viewsDarth_Koont

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 09:55 - May 29 by giant_stow

Twitter seems to ave been his main tool for getting his crap out there, while MSM has been holding him to account, so I wouldn;t go too weak at the knees.

I imagine too that a lot of people who've felt the sh1t end of Twitter and co, may have some sympathy with his threats to do away with that legal platform shield thingy.

I said "might turn out to be". Clearly it hasn't already, it's been his private broadcasting channel.

Traditional media hasn't held him to account. They've given him the identity/cultural war he wants and they can't stop giving him the publicity and platform he craves.

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:11 - May 29 with 2351 viewsgiant_stow

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:02 - May 29 by Darth_Koont

I said "might turn out to be". Clearly it hasn't already, it's been his private broadcasting channel.

Traditional media hasn't held him to account. They've given him the identity/cultural war he wants and they can't stop giving him the publicity and platform he craves.

Fair enough, but Twitter would be starting that process from the wrong side of the line, with lots of ammends to make.

Don't forget that Trump's 80-odd million followers are quite important for Twitter too and serve as a masisve carrot for users into their platform.

Don't be daft about traditional media - maybe some outlets lap it up, but others fight back hard (or would you rather they turned a blind eye?).

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:13 - May 29 with 2345 viewsmonytowbray

It's actually the identity/culture war Russia wants. Trump is either oblivious to it or in on it for some kind of financial benefit. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:13 - May 29 with 2340 viewsDarth_Koont

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:11 - May 29 by giant_stow

Fair enough, but Twitter would be starting that process from the wrong side of the line, with lots of ammends to make.

Don't forget that Trump's 80-odd million followers are quite important for Twitter too and serve as a masisve carrot for users into their platform.

Don't be daft about traditional media - maybe some outlets lap it up, but others fight back hard (or would you rather they turned a blind eye?).

Sorry, I can't be @rsed ullaa.

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:14 - May 29 with 2328 viewsgiant_stow

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:13 - May 29 by Darth_Koont

Sorry, I can't be @rsed ullaa.

x

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:16 - May 29 with 2321 viewsmonytowbray

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:11 - May 29 by giant_stow

Here's the issue for me.

We have countless measures in place to prevent wars and escalating tensions between nations. But all are applied retrospectively from past conflicts.

The internet is the new battle ground and only few experts saw this coming, and even then it's ignored. You go on any political thread to do with Western politics these days and almost half the responses are accounts with clear signs of being fake to amplify certain views, distrust in the media or conspiracies. There are no national treaties or agreements in place to stop this.

On top of that, the tactic in itself creates a level of self defence by arming people with the idea the theory in itself is a conspiracy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics

WWIII is already underway and not a single shot has been fired.
[Post edited 29 May 2020 10:20]

TWTD never forgets…

Login to get fewer ads

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:22 - May 29 with 2299 viewsgiant_stow

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:16 - May 29 by monytowbray

Here's the issue for me.

We have countless measures in place to prevent wars and escalating tensions between nations. But all are applied retrospectively from past conflicts.

The internet is the new battle ground and only few experts saw this coming, and even then it's ignored. You go on any political thread to do with Western politics these days and almost half the responses are accounts with clear signs of being fake to amplify certain views, distrust in the media or conspiracies. There are no national treaties or agreements in place to stop this.

On top of that, the tactic in itself creates a level of self defence by arming people with the idea the theory in itself is a conspiracy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics

WWIII is already underway and not a single shot has been fired.
[Post edited 29 May 2020 10:20]

The #mediascum hashtag (i think you linked to a thread on that the other day?) is suddenly everywhere and very suss.

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:24 - May 29 with 2290 viewsDarth_Koont

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:13 - May 29 by monytowbray

It's actually the identity/culture war Russia wants. Trump is either oblivious to it or in on it for some kind of financial benefit. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Yep. It's not hard to see that Russians in power would be a fan of anyone who essentially wants to dismantle effective government and regulations in their strategic competitors. Especially someone that by doing so, and through the force of their own ego, can willingly split a country and damage internal faith in democracy and the system.

Which brings us neatly to Farage, Banks, Johnson, Cummings etc.

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:24 - May 29 with 2288 viewslowhouseblue

being president of the united states is probably the reason he gets the publicity and platform he craves. the traditional media can't really be criticised for reporting stuff involving the president of the usa, however mad he may be. they should just exclude any mention of him from their reporting of us politics?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:28 - May 29 with 2276 viewsmonytowbray

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:22 - May 29 by giant_stow

The #mediascum hashtag (i think you linked to a thread on that the other day?) is suddenly everywhere and very suss.

Yep. Creating distrust in media that questions authority is very authoritarian and our current lot are happy to fan the flames.

I don't quite think people have woke up to how much our democracy is under threat. Cummings said 15+ years ago during his short lived think tank the Tories need to shut down the BBC and move to a right wing propaganda service like Fox News if they want to gain/keep power.

He also wants to remove democratic processes and just get sh1t done. Does the civil service need an overhaul? Probably. Is the answer Cummings hiring whatever private company he fancies without any input or challenge though? I'd say no. Wait until the police force gets that treatment and we could be in for some interesting times.

I don't think people realise just how much democracy in this country is under threat. The last couple of weeks have been very eye opening for me.

TWTD never forgets…

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:32 - May 29 with 2259 viewsDarth_Koont

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:24 - May 29 by lowhouseblue

being president of the united states is probably the reason he gets the publicity and platform he craves. the traditional media can't really be criticised for reporting stuff involving the president of the usa, however mad he may be. they should just exclude any mention of him from their reporting of us politics?

Not "any mention" no. I think the media should at least have the self-awareness that they're giving Trump a little too much of what he wants.

It's a tricky thing to balance in terms of journalism: report whatever the President says whenever he wants to say it, or try to limit being used as a platform and a pawn for the President to cause damage with untruths and dangerous rhetoric. But probably made infinitely harder by the fact that every time they talk about Trump it generates money for them.

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:34 - May 29 with 2254 viewsmonytowbray

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:24 - May 29 by lowhouseblue

It's too late Lowhouse, the information war has started.

Perhaps now you can see why I get so frustrated with your takes on some stuff considering at a core we align on most things?

TWTD never forgets…

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:36 - May 29 with 2237 viewslowhouseblue

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:32 - May 29 by Darth_Koont

Not "any mention" no. I think the media should at least have the self-awareness that they're giving Trump a little too much of what he wants.

It's a tricky thing to balance in terms of journalism: report whatever the President says whenever he wants to say it, or try to limit being used as a platform and a pawn for the President to cause damage with untruths and dangerous rhetoric. But probably made infinitely harder by the fact that every time they talk about Trump it generates money for them.

how does reporting on trump generate money for them in a way that reporting news generally doesn't? do they get extra sales or adverts with each trump related story? are they making more profits than when they wrote reports about president obama?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:40 - May 29 with 2203 viewsDarth_Koont

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:36 - May 29 by lowhouseblue

how does reporting on trump generate money for them in a way that reporting news generally doesn't? do they get extra sales or adverts with each trump related story? are they making more profits than when they wrote reports about president obama?

Because Trump is clickbait in a way that Obama wasn't. They even call it Trumpbait.

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:47 - May 29 with 2153 viewslowhouseblue

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:34 - May 29 by monytowbray

It's too late Lowhouse, the information war has started.

Perhaps now you can see why I get so frustrated with your takes on some stuff considering at a core we align on most things?

i almost gave your first post an uppie. i have been posting for years (mainly when challenging cil) that there is a right wing, and now russia fed, campaign of disinformation and conspiracy nonsense, with the sole of objective of undermining trust in government and democratic institutions including the reputable media. it's only purpose is to confuse people to the point that they don't know what to believe. it is the strategy that trump has adopted form day one. but equally, part of that process is the group think nature of social media whereby, once something is repeated enough times, it doesn't get challenged. people should be required to prove stuff more often rather than repeat stuff.

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:49 - May 29 with 2140 viewsDarth_Koont

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:47 - May 29 by lowhouseblue

i almost gave your first post an uppie. i have been posting for years (mainly when challenging cil) that there is a right wing, and now russia fed, campaign of disinformation and conspiracy nonsense, with the sole of objective of undermining trust in government and democratic institutions including the reputable media. it's only purpose is to confuse people to the point that they don't know what to believe. it is the strategy that trump has adopted form day one. but equally, part of that process is the group think nature of social media whereby, once something is repeated enough times, it doesn't get challenged. people should be required to prove stuff more often rather than repeat stuff.

"People should be required to prove stuff more often rather than repeat stuff"

I'll give you an upvote for that.

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:50 - May 29 with 2126 viewslowhouseblue

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:49 - May 29 by Darth_Koont

"People should be required to prove stuff more often rather than repeat stuff"

I'll give you an upvote for that.

well then be more critical of some of the stuff that gets posted on here and goes unchallenged.

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:50 - May 29 with 2128 viewsmonytowbray

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:47 - May 29 by lowhouseblue

I'll go one better give you an uppie.

Pretty bang on. I think COVID has made me face many realities I tried to ignore for the last few years. Amazes me so many people talk about bots on social media but only a small number of them stop and ask what the end goal is.

Scary rabbit hole to do down, but then again the three main superpowers of the world all have their pros and cons. There's no good vs evil in this one with the current ruling powers.

Money rules the world now, one could argue it always has anyway. There are powerful people who have worked out the illusion of democracy is much easier to manage than an actual democracy. To be fair they are correct in that regard, but then again life is easier for anyone if they throw all social responsibility out the window.
[Post edited 29 May 2020 10:53]

TWTD never forgets…

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:52 - May 29 with 2112 viewsSwansea_Blue

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:22 - May 29 by giant_stow

It's coordinated from a few core accounts. Someone did a network analysis on it, although I've forgotten where I saw it (probably on Twitter, but I haven't got an account and would struggle to find it again).

Strong parallels with the Lügenpresse (‘lying press’) approach of the Nazis.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:52 - May 29 with 2105 viewsDarth_Koont

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:50 - May 29 by lowhouseblue

well then be more critical of some of the stuff that gets posted on here and goes unchallenged.

Gmpf. Kindly take your head out of your @rse and start following your own advice.

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:54 - May 29 with 2093 viewsmonytowbray

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:52 - May 29 by Swansea_Blue

It's coordinated from a few core accounts. Someone did a network analysis on it, although I've forgotten where I saw it (probably on Twitter, but I haven't got an account and would struggle to find it again).

Strong parallels with the Lügenpresse (‘lying press’) approach of the Nazis.

Some interesting right wing bot analysis... by monytowbray 26 May 2020 21:27
https://twitter.com/marcowenjones/status/1265359800969375745

Threadity clickity.

Same analysis yesterday showed a lot of pro-Trump accounts (more than Boris, weird huh?!).

Today a large chunk of them are direct tweets to Journalists (all abusive) and a very low number of tweet discussion. That’s not suspect at all, right?!

Welcome to the new Britain. Enjoy your freedom to challenge the government whilst you still have it.

TWTD never forgets…

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 11:50 - May 29 with 1999 viewsSwansea_Blue

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:54 - May 29 by monytowbray

Some interesting right wing bot analysis... by monytowbray 26 May 2020 21:27
https://twitter.com/marcowenjones/status/1265359800969375745

Threadity clickity.

Same analysis yesterday showed a lot of pro-Trump accounts (more than Boris, weird huh?!).

Today a large chunk of them are direct tweets to Journalists (all abusive) and a very low number of tweet discussion. That’s not suspect at all, right?!

Welcome to the new Britain. Enjoy your freedom to challenge the government whilst you still have it.

I knew I'd seen it somewhere, thanks!

Looks like he's done an update:

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 11:55 - May 29 with 1988 viewsGuthrum

What time does Trumpy wake up? on 10:50 - May 29 by monytowbray

I'll go one better give you an uppie.

Pretty bang on. I think COVID has made me face many realities I tried to ignore for the last few years. Amazes me so many people talk about bots on social media but only a small number of them stop and ask what the end goal is.

Scary rabbit hole to do down, but then again the three main superpowers of the world all have their pros and cons. There's no good vs evil in this one with the current ruling powers.

Money rules the world now, one could argue it always has anyway. There are powerful people who have worked out the illusion of democracy is much easier to manage than an actual democracy. To be fair they are correct in that regard, but then again life is easier for anyone if they throw all social responsibility out the window.
[Post edited 29 May 2020 10:53]

Not sure the regimes in any of the major powers are particularly "good". Authoritarian, repressive and/or just so obsessed with money and staying in power they don't care about the poor and marginalised.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024