Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' 10:18 - May 29 with 4320 viewsWeWereZombies

'Even so, it was a great day. If we had to lose to anybody, Ipswich were the team. As in Bobby Robson's day, they were still trying to play football the right way and their supporters are among the best in the country. You never hear of Town fans involved in any trouble. They are super. As far as rival fans are concerned, that Wembley final must have been one of the friendliest ever.' Page 46, Dickie Bird's Britain, Hodder and Stoughton, 2002

I like the way he calls us Town fans, it emphasises that we are the Town, not Huddersfield, not Swindon, but Ipswich. May we never become a city.
[Post edited 29 May 2020 10:21]

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 11:48 - May 29 with 4154 viewsPJH

It really was a great atmosphere before during and, as far as I am aware,after the game.

If Barnsley had been beaten by Birmingham in their semi final I do not think that the friendliness on the day between Barnsley supporters and ours would have been replicated if it had been Birmingham and us.

The very hostile atmosphere for the league cup game at Birmingham a couple of years later suggests that May 29th 2000 might not have been such a fun day off the pitch if our opponents had been them.
A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 11:59 - May 29 with 4123 viewsRyorry

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 11:48 - May 29 by PJH

It really was a great atmosphere before during and, as far as I am aware,after the game.

If Barnsley had been beaten by Birmingham in their semi final I do not think that the friendliness on the day between Barnsley supporters and ours would have been replicated if it had been Birmingham and us.

The very hostile atmosphere for the league cup game at Birmingham a couple of years later suggests that May 29th 2000 might not have been such a fun day off the pitch if our opponents had been them.

Quite. Barnsley fans helped to make it the glorious, wonderful day it was for us with their friendliness and good nature. The two sets of supporters steadily flowing side by side like two separate ribbons of colour up Wembley way - all done naturally and instinctively by them and us, not a copper or steward in sight - is one of the very few memories that is indelibly stamped into my brain, I'll never forget that.

Shared a carriage on the train back north with them - all of us still in colours, all friendly & good natured - they were still singing their hearts out & clapping as they drank their tinnies, you'd have thought they'd won. I've had a v. soft spot for Barnsley ever since.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 12:19 - May 29 with 4081 viewsPJH

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 11:59 - May 29 by Ryorry

Quite. Barnsley fans helped to make it the glorious, wonderful day it was for us with their friendliness and good nature. The two sets of supporters steadily flowing side by side like two separate ribbons of colour up Wembley way - all done naturally and instinctively by them and us, not a copper or steward in sight - is one of the very few memories that is indelibly stamped into my brain, I'll never forget that.

Shared a carriage on the train back north with them - all of us still in colours, all friendly & good natured - they were still singing their hearts out & clapping as they drank their tinnies, you'd have thought they'd won. I've had a v. soft spot for Barnsley ever since.

Yes, even with recent trips to Barnsley there is likely to be a conversation with one of their supporters or maybe a steward about THAT day.

They certainly seemed to really enjoy their day out despite, from their point of view,the result.
A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 12:19 - May 29 with 4079 viewsMelford

Dickie's a top bloke. Met him in Barnsley museum before we played up there the last time.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 12:27 - May 29 with 4047 viewsPJH

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 12:19 - May 29 by Melford

Dickie's a top bloke. Met him in Barnsley museum before we played up there the last time.

Was he an exhibit?

I have never met the man but I do not doubt that he is a top bloke.
A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 13:41 - May 29 with 3957 viewsFtnfwest

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 11:48 - May 29 by PJH

Having attended town games over the years v Birmingham (and certainly a lot 'back in the day') i can confirm beyond all reasonable likelihood that would have been the case. I also attended a Cambridge game v them in 1979, when i can honestly say i heard the worst abuse towards certain members of the Cambridge team that I've ever heard at a football match.
A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 13:53 - May 29 with 3938 viewsHerbivore

The Barnsley fans were different class that day. So magnanimous in defeat. Their team came and gave it a bloody good go as well, got to be one of the classic play off finals that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 14:26 - May 29 with 3850 viewsclive_baker

Never seen such good losers as them, especially given the prize on offer and the magnitude of the occasion. Great set of fans, shaking our hands on the way out, getting pats on the head etc. Proper, sporting, Yorkshire folk. Felt more like a cricket crowd.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Login to get fewer ads

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 14:49 - May 29 with 3803 viewsjontysnut

Dickie Bird's statute in Barnsley. They have had to raise it 6 foot up as people used to hang ' inappropriate items' from his finger. Excellent website on sporting statues by the way.

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 22:02 - Jun 1 with 3370 viewsnot_a_witty_name

We shared a tube with a single Barnsley supporter to Liverpool Street and he was magnanimous in defeat. His missus was a Town fan.
A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 23:59 - Jun 1 with 3289 viewsMelford

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 12:27 - May 29 by PJH

Was he an exhibit?

He was because the museum had an exhibition about him in the museum and at the end he turned up in person. I have a lot of family in Barnsley, where my mum comes from, from Irish stock like Mick was, my grandad played down Shaw Lane for Barnsley CC with Dickie, Michael Parkinson and Boycott in his youth.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 00:51 - Jun 2 with 3253 viewsRyorry

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 23:59 - Jun 1 by Melford

He was because the museum had an exhibition about him in the museum and at the end he turned up in person. I have a lot of family in Barnsley, where my mum comes from, from Irish stock like Mick was, my grandad played down Shaw Lane for Barnsley CC with Dickie, Michael Parkinson and Boycott in his youth.

Brilliant, that's some heritage! Are you a cricketer yourself? It'd be a shame to waste it!

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 00:53 - Jun 2 with 3251 viewsRyorry

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 22:02 - Jun 1 by not_a_witty_name

We shared a tube with a single Barnsley supporter to Liverpool Street and he was magnanimous in defeat. His missus was a Town fan.

Did she go to the game too but travel separately?!

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 07:40 - Jun 2 with 3138 viewspointofblue

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 11:59 - May 29 by Ryorry

One of my abiding memory is being on the coach ready to leave; some Barnsley fans walked past and applauded us, basically congratulating us on winning. As one we applauded them back. It was surreal but it was great. Have had a soft spot for Barnsley since then.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 07:57 - Jun 2 with 3112 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 14:26 - May 29 by clive_baker

Never seen such good losers as them, especially given the prize on offer and the magnitude of the occasion. Great set of fans, shaking our hands on the way out, getting pats on the head etc. Proper, sporting, Yorkshire folk. Felt more like a cricket crowd.

Especially as, pretty much like us (the following season excepted of course), they’ve not been close to getting back to that level since. Losing that game has probably had a huge impact on them

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 08:27 - Jun 2 with 3087 viewspointofblue

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 07:57 - Jun 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Especially as, pretty much like us (the following season excepted of course), they’ve not been close to getting back to that level since. Losing that game has probably had a huge impact on them

To be fair we’ve got close to the Premier League on a few occasions after relegation in 2002; the 2000 Play Off final to them is probably akin to the West Ham home match in May 2005 to us.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 09:04 - Jun 2 with 3044 viewsRadlett_blue

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 12:27 - May 29 by PJH

Was he an exhibit?

I went to the Saturday of the Centenary Test at Lords in 1980. There was a lot of on & off play, due to the weather & state of the pitch. At one stage in the day, after yet another inspection, Dickie Bird was confronted & manhandled by a couple of MCC members. We were having a beer in the Lord's Tavern pub and eventually Bird came in for a pint. One guy went up to him & said "Seriously Dickie, when was that pitch really for for play"? Bird looked him in they eye & said "As far as I was concerned, pitch was NEVER fit for play all day long".

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 09:33 - Jun 2 with 2989 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 08:27 - Jun 2 by pointofblue

To be fair we’ve got close to the Premier League on a few occasions after relegation in 2002; the 2000 Play Off final to them is probably akin to the West Ham home match in May 2005 to us.

Fair point that we’ve knocked on the door since, saying we’ve never got close was pushing it a bit. But ultimately we’ve never got back to that level, and I also don’t think you can equate losing a playoff final to losing in a semi final

I don’t think either team have played in a bigger game since, which makes their positive attitude towards that day and us, despite losing, all the more impressive IMO
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 9:33]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 09:44 - Jun 2 with 2953 viewsPJH

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 09:33 - Jun 2 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Fair point that we’ve knocked on the door since, saying we’ve never got close was pushing it a bit. But ultimately we’ve never got back to that level, and I also don’t think you can equate losing a playoff final to losing in a semi final

I don’t think either team have played in a bigger game since, which makes their positive attitude towards that day and us, despite losing, all the more impressive IMO
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 9:33]

We had got ourselves in a pretty good position that second time against West Ham by getting the 2-2 draw at Upton Park. I think we were in a stronger position going into that second leg than we were going to their place the year before leading 1-0.

Season 2004/05 was one of the many that we have had in out history that you can look back on and think 'what could have been and what should have been'.
A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 10:22 - Jun 2 with 2910 viewsRadlett_blue

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 09:44 - Jun 2 by PJH

We had got ourselves in a pretty good position that second time against West Ham by getting the 2-2 draw at Upton Park. I think we were in a stronger position going into that second leg than we were going to their place the year before leading 1-0.

Season 2004/05 was one of the many that we have had in out history that you can look back on and think 'what could have been and what should have been'.

Kuqi getting injured against Leicester was the killer. We hung on to win 2-1 in a game we had been coasting at 2-0 & we then took 1 point from our next 4 matches.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 10:31 - Jun 2 with 2888 viewsPJH

A paragraph from Barnsley supporting Dickie Bird's 'Britain' on 10:22 - Jun 2 by Radlett_blue

Kuqi getting injured against Leicester was the killer. We hung on to win 2-1 in a game we had been coasting at 2-0 & we then took 1 point from our next 4 matches.

I agree, if Kuqi had not got injured we were very much on for a top 2 finish so it was the killer.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024