Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist 22:24 - May 29 with 5827 viewsElderGrizzly

50,000 new cases a week in the UK, so not a surprise

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 22:36 - May 29 with 3719 viewsfactual_blue

He's an expert. What does he know about saving dominic cummings's skin?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 22:41 - May 29 with 3696 viewsSwansea_Blue

it's not a surprise at all, just compare to other countries that have been successful and you'll see we're a lot earlier (and later into lockdown). Hard decision though - there must be thousands (millions?) of people struggling because they're not eligible for support and their income has dried up.

If it was me I'd protect people and make sure they're homed and well fed, and prioritise beating the virus. Maybe that's naive though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 22:43 - May 29 with 3691 viewsBlueBadger

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 22:41 - May 29 by Swansea_Blue

it's not a surprise at all, just compare to other countries that have been successful and you'll see we're a lot earlier (and later into lockdown). Hard decision though - there must be thousands (millions?) of people struggling because they're not eligible for support and their income has dried up.

If it was me I'd protect people and make sure they're homed and well fed, and prioritise beating the virus. Maybe that's naive though.

The bitter irony of it all is if we'd 'endangered business' sooner and locked down earlier, closed the Cheltenham festival, etc, etc then there'd have probably been a shorter, less economically damaging lockdown
[Post edited 30 May 2020 11:28]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 23:09 - May 29 with 3661 viewsPlums

Spoke to a GP friend tonight. Anecdotally it sounds as thought there’s a VE Day spike in full swing. They’re seeing a definite uplift in cases.
This easing has come way too soon.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 23:23 - May 29 with 3625 viewsSpruceMoose

Question for our more elderly posters:

Has Britain always been so full of shït for brains, know it all, moronic blow hards or have they suddenly just appeared in the last ten to fifteen years?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 23:37 - May 29 with 3592 viewsBlueBadger

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 23:23 - May 29 by SpruceMoose

Question for our more elderly posters:

Has Britain always been so full of shït for brains, know it all, moronic blow hards or have they suddenly just appeared in the last ten to fifteen years?

Given the majority of ignorant blow-hards I appear to see in real life and online appear to be over 60, yes?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 00:10 - May 30 with 3540 viewsRyorry

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 23:37 - May 29 by BlueBadger

Given the majority of ignorant blow-hards I appear to see in real life and online appear to be over 60, yes?

My experience is exactly the opposite - ie the ones I've seen are mostly under 45.

Not that I'd want to label anybody. There are many, many brilliant youngsters from 2-60 round here - all are well behaved, sensible & kind. Maybe just lucky in where I live.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 00:18 - May 30 with 3533 viewsRyorry

I think all sensible people worked this out for themselves yesterday, & are going to continue curtailing their activities to much more stringent levels than these new "allowed" limits. Ie they'll be voting with their feet up.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 01:35 - May 30 with 3470 viewsSwansea_Blue

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 22:43 - May 29 by BlueBadger

The bitter irony of it all is if we'd 'endangered business' sooner and locked down earlier, closed the Cheltenham festival, etc, etc then there'd have probably been a shorter, less economically damaging lockdown

Yep

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 07:05 - May 30 with 3396 viewsgordon

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 22:43 - May 29 by BlueBadger

Yes, this. We're in a really big mess now - if infections / hospital admissions starting ticking up a bit now, what on earth are they going to do?

Even if Bojo tried to re-impose lockdown measures, he'd probably accidentally announce opening up pubs or something.

One possible route might be to announce that we're moving to (e.g.) phase 4f, which involves local lockdowns, so check your local council website to see what your current lockdown status is. Then they pass all responsibility over to councils, but cut their funding and put pressure on them to open things up, and then fine them for each ensuing death, but also fine them for each day that things are closed as well, and then they have the Serco/Deloitte dreamteam take over underperforming councils.
[Post edited 30 May 2020 7:10]
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 07:28 - May 30 with 3353 viewsShawsey

Only a complete idiot would ease the lockdown now. Oh......
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 07:39 - May 30 with 3339 viewsElderGrizzly

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 07:28 - May 30 by Shawsey

Only a complete idiot would ease the lockdown now. Oh......

And not helped by populist nonsense such as this

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 07:41 - May 30 with 3329 viewsShawsey

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 07:39 - May 30 by ElderGrizzly

What an absolute plank. The idiots will take this as the green light to return to normal. Shocking from somebody who is suppose to be educated.
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 07:50 - May 30 with 3317 viewsElderGrizzly

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 07:41 - May 30 by Shawsey

What an absolute plank. The idiots will take this as the green light to return to normal. Shocking from somebody who is suppose to be educated.

Until we open up, the network of Private Cancer hospitals where he is a CMO at can’t open fully.

Not that i’m cynical at his motivations or anything
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 08:26 - May 30 with 3257 viewsMullet

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 07:50 - May 30 by ElderGrizzly

Until we open up, the network of Private Cancer hospitals where he is a CMO at can’t open fully.

Not that i’m cynical at his motivations or anything

He’s been rubbing up Drs for weeks it seems, this thread goes through him in detail. Seems he’s been even more irresponsible than just trying to give people hope.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 08:54 - May 30 with 3211 viewsLankHenners

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 08:26 - May 30 by Mullet

He’s been rubbing up Drs for weeks it seems, this thread goes through him in detail. Seems he’s been even more irresponsible than just trying to give people hope.

A quick google of him shows he’s a dodgy character. All the people championing him as a ray of light in a dark time are being well and truly being taken for suckers.

There’s a few Twitter threads out there dissecting the bloke, clearly a wrong’un. Is very anti-NHS, has been embroiled in controversy on various matters, including lying about his status as a health professor. He has no professional authority to be talking about Covid-19 and, besides, personally at least, I find his ‘positivity’ just as guilty as turning human tragedy into numbers as anything else.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 08:58 - May 30 with 3199 viewsElephantintheRoom

It kind of depends where these mysterious people with covid are - and whether they are prepared to try and engage with the track and trace programme, such as it is.

Even if the track and trace turns out to be garbage, it hardly matters IF people who have the virus self-isolate - so in effect nothing has changed.

The problem you are highlighting is effectively one of government fact manipulation. Nobody knows how prevalent the virus is in the community.... and nobody knows how many people are dying - the daily toll being given out is pure fiction as it includes deaths going back 6 weeks or more to 'flatten the curve'... and the complete absence of a testing programme makes infection rates a guess too.

The 'second wave' in itself is garbage too.... you cant hide from a virus. And the second wave, such as it is, will be provided by the people booted out of hospital and or denied treatment and diagnosis over the last three months while hospitals could be emptied for a tsunami that never happened.

The confusing messages now coming out of 4 different countries sort of highlights why the NHS failed so utterly to cope with a pandemic many islands coped with very effectively - politics has divided and fractured its capabilities to deliver a healthcare service for decades.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 09:10 - May 30 with 3170 viewsParky

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 07:39 - May 30 by ElderGrizzly

You have to be the most negative person I have ever seen post. By no means am I saying we’re out of the water - nowhere near in fact, but as soon as somebody posts a slightly positive message, you’re the first person to shoot them down.
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 09:32 - May 30 with 3117 viewsShawsey

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 08:58 - May 30 by ElephantintheRoom

It kind of depends where these mysterious people with covid are - and whether they are prepared to try and engage with the track and trace programme, such as it is.

Even if the track and trace turns out to be garbage, it hardly matters IF people who have the virus self-isolate - so in effect nothing has changed.

The problem you are highlighting is effectively one of government fact manipulation. Nobody knows how prevalent the virus is in the community.... and nobody knows how many people are dying - the daily toll being given out is pure fiction as it includes deaths going back 6 weeks or more to 'flatten the curve'... and the complete absence of a testing programme makes infection rates a guess too.

The 'second wave' in itself is garbage too.... you cant hide from a virus. And the second wave, such as it is, will be provided by the people booted out of hospital and or denied treatment and diagnosis over the last three months while hospitals could be emptied for a tsunami that never happened.

The confusing messages now coming out of 4 different countries sort of highlights why the NHS failed so utterly to cope with a pandemic many islands coped with very effectively - politics has divided and fractured its capabilities to deliver a healthcare service for decades.

Where do you get this "6 weeks or more" information from? You keep banging on about it, so you obviously believe it to be true. Please, where do you get your figures from?
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 10:01 - May 30 with 3069 viewsGaryCooper

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 23:09 - May 29 by Plums

Spoke to a GP friend tonight. Anecdotally it sounds as thought there’s a VE Day spike in full swing. They’re seeing a definite uplift in cases.
This easing has come way too soon.

Absolutely nothing to do with a progressive rise in testing then?

Of course those who hated the VE day celebrations and those who celebrated it will ignore this.
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 10:17 - May 30 with 3034 viewsBlueBadger

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 00:10 - May 30 by Ryorry

My experience is exactly the opposite - ie the ones I've seen are mostly under 45.

Not that I'd want to label anybody. There are many, many brilliant youngsters from 2-60 round here - all are well behaved, sensible & kind. Maybe just lucky in where I live.

The conclusion we can draw from this is, yes, blowhards of all ages are still with us.

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 10:25 - May 30 with 3020 viewssparks

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 09:32 - May 30 by Shawsey

Where do you get this "6 weeks or more" information from? You keep banging on about it, so you obviously believe it to be true. Please, where do you get your figures from?

Indeed. That is made up.

Notably, near my neck of the woods we already appear to be facing a new peak. WSM hospital remains shut. Hopefully it is an isolated situation revolving around an accomodation block at the hospital- but....

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 10:27 - May 30 with 3009 viewsElephantintheRoom

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 09:32 - May 30 by Shawsey

I believe it to be true because it IS true. It's the UK death registration process.... a death is registered on a day when someone sits down and registers it.

The daily pantomime gives out the deaths registered on that day - not the deaths that occurred on that day. It was a political decision because it hugely lowered the actual daily death toll during the peak of the 'crisis'. Now alas it is probably greatly exagerating the number of deaths that are occuring.

There can be all manner of delays to what is essentially a bureaucratic process - ranging from someone being around to do the job - hence figures being so much lower at weekends through to Nikki from silent witness doing an autopsy.... i haven't looked for a while but the daily figures at the beginning of May included several deaths that occurred in the last two weeks of March let alone April...so back then 'over 6 weeks was true'

Another way the government is deluding the public is the R number....so reassuringly less than 1 (Based on total guesswork) That too is complete baloney. If 1 person is infected in a population of 1 million and gives the infection to 1 person, the R factor is 1 and 2 people have the disease. If 500,000 in the same population give it to the other 500,000 - the R factor is still 1, despite everyone now having the disease.

Nice low number though

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 10:28 - May 30 with 3005 viewsShawsey

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 10:25 - May 30 by sparks

Indeed. That is made up.

Notably, near my neck of the woods we already appear to be facing a new peak. WSM hospital remains shut. Hopefully it is an isolated situation revolving around an accomodation block at the hospital- but....

I am just up the road in Bath. Terrible news for you all. Take care.
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 10:31 - May 30 with 3001 viewssparks

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 10:27 - May 30 by ElephantintheRoom

I believe it to be true because it IS true. It's the UK death registration process.... a death is registered on a day when someone sits down and registers it.

The daily pantomime gives out the deaths registered on that day - not the deaths that occurred on that day. It was a political decision because it hugely lowered the actual daily death toll during the peak of the 'crisis'. Now alas it is probably greatly exagerating the number of deaths that are occuring.

There can be all manner of delays to what is essentially a bureaucratic process - ranging from someone being around to do the job - hence figures being so much lower at weekends through to Nikki from silent witness doing an autopsy.... i haven't looked for a while but the daily figures at the beginning of May included several deaths that occurred in the last two weeks of March let alone April...so back then 'over 6 weeks was true'

Another way the government is deluding the public is the R number....so reassuringly less than 1 (Based on total guesswork) That too is complete baloney. If 1 person is infected in a population of 1 million and gives the infection to 1 person, the R factor is 1 and 2 people have the disease. If 500,000 in the same population give it to the other 500,000 - the R factor is still 1, despite everyone now having the disease.

Nice low number though

The usual obfuscation and half truths. Show us where you get the figure of 6 weeks from.

I dont doubt there are occasional outliers- but thats not what we are talking about is it? Nor is it how all these figures are being compiled...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024