Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist 22:24 - May 29 with 5826 viewsElderGrizzly

50,000 new cases a week in the UK, so not a surprise

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 10:34 - May 30 with 1316 viewsShawsey

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 10:27 - May 30 by ElephantintheRoom

I believe it to be true because it IS true. It's the UK death registration process.... a death is registered on a day when someone sits down and registers it.

The daily pantomime gives out the deaths registered on that day - not the deaths that occurred on that day. It was a political decision because it hugely lowered the actual daily death toll during the peak of the 'crisis'. Now alas it is probably greatly exagerating the number of deaths that are occuring.

There can be all manner of delays to what is essentially a bureaucratic process - ranging from someone being around to do the job - hence figures being so much lower at weekends through to Nikki from silent witness doing an autopsy.... i haven't looked for a while but the daily figures at the beginning of May included several deaths that occurred in the last two weeks of March let alone April...so back then 'over 6 weeks was true'

Another way the government is deluding the public is the R number....so reassuringly less than 1 (Based on total guesswork) That too is complete baloney. If 1 person is infected in a population of 1 million and gives the infection to 1 person, the R factor is 1 and 2 people have the disease. If 500,000 in the same population give it to the other 500,000 - the R factor is still 1, despite everyone now having the disease.

Nice low number though

"everyone now having the disease"? Are you for real ? Honestly, your views on this subject really are not helpful. There is one poster on here who just said that they were "depressed and fearful". How the hell does what you print help ? Please, I am interested. What do you get out of printing this rubbish?
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 11:19 - May 30 with 1280 viewsPlums

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 10:01 - May 30 by GaryCooper

Absolutely nothing to do with a progressive rise in testing then?

Of course those who hated the VE day celebrations and those who celebrated it will ignore this.

Er no. She’s seeing more and more patients presenting with symptoms which is why I said ‘anecdotally’. Her husband was so ill with this (but didn’t get a test because she managed to keep him out of hospital by monitoring at home) that he was passing out from coughing.

I have no idea what your second sentence means.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 11:34 - May 30 with 1265 viewsBlueBadger

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 10:01 - May 30 by GaryCooper

Of course those who hated the VE day celebrations and those who celebrated it will ignore this.

Give over, you massive fanny.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 12:11 - May 30 with 1231 viewsElephantintheRoom

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 10:34 - May 30 by Shawsey

"everyone now having the disease"? Are you for real ? Honestly, your views on this subject really are not helpful. There is one poster on here who just said that they were "depressed and fearful". How the hell does what you print help ? Please, I am interested. What do you get out of printing this rubbish?

Erm - sorry I am completely baffled. You are clearly confused and there is no real point in trying to explain how meaningless an R number is when based on real numbers, let alone guesswork.

I was merely trying to explain how completely misleading and dangerous disingenuous scientists aka government mouthpieces bandying around an R number is by showing how meaningless it is - but clearly simple maths is beyond you.

Sorry if that is upsetting for some bizarre reason that I cannot fathom

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 12:31 - May 30 with 1213 viewssparks

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 12:11 - May 30 by ElephantintheRoom

Erm - sorry I am completely baffled. You are clearly confused and there is no real point in trying to explain how meaningless an R number is when based on real numbers, let alone guesswork.

I was merely trying to explain how completely misleading and dangerous disingenuous scientists aka government mouthpieces bandying around an R number is by showing how meaningless it is - but clearly simple maths is beyond you.

Sorry if that is upsetting for some bizarre reason that I cannot fathom

Your bollox about R is either ignorant, or dishonest. People understand what it represents and why its important for the most part. Noone says it tells us anythign independent of the other figures. You are trying to obfuscate again.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 13:05 - May 30 with 1191 viewsElderGrizzly

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 09:10 - May 30 by Parky

You have to be the most negative person I have ever seen post. By no means am I saying we’re out of the water - nowhere near in fact, but as soon as somebody posts a slightly positive message, you’re the first person to shoot them down.

Not at all. I am just saying this overly positive message from him in particular is dangerous.

The experts in this virus are saying he is wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/30/england-risks-covid-19-surge-witho
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 13:07 - May 30 with 1184 viewsSpruceMoose

Lol.

Every post a loser.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 13:09 - May 30 with 1179 viewsSpruceMoose

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 12:31 - May 30 by sparks

Your bollox about R is either ignorant, or dishonest. People understand what it represents and why its important for the most part. Noone says it tells us anythign independent of the other figures. You are trying to obfuscate again.

Yeah but he wrote one good football blog or something so it's OK.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 13:14 - May 30 with 1172 viewsElderGrizzly

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 12:31 - May 30 by sparks

Info from France here on R and cases. Look how far we are from what France deems as ‘safe’

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 13:26 - May 30 with 1153 viewsElderGrizzly

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 13:14 - May 30 by ElderGrizzly

Info from France here on R and cases. Look how far we are from what France deems as ‘safe’

Or look how far we are from Spain and they’re approach to schools.

As with the start of all this, the UK is the outlier. Locking down too late, opening way too early

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 13:40 - May 30 with 1134 viewsjaykay

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 23:37 - May 29 by BlueBadger

Given the majority of ignorant blow-hards I appear to see in real life and online appear to be over 60, yes?

all the tories in the house of commons must be over 60 then.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 13:42 - May 30 with 1130 viewspointofblue

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 08:26 - May 30 by Mullet

He’s been rubbing up Drs for weeks it seems, this thread goes through him in detail. Seems he’s been even more irresponsible than just trying to give people hope.

Anecdotally I had heard this as well though; a friend of a friend's relative was a cancer patient on end of life care and had lived beyond what was expected. When he passed his relatives expected and wanted cancer to be recorded as his cause of death but the doctors insisted on putting coronavirus. They complained but nothing more came of it.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 13:54 - May 30 with 1114 viewsBluesquid

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 13:42 - May 30 by pointofblue

Anecdotally I had heard this as well though; a friend of a friend's relative was a cancer patient on end of life care and had lived beyond what was expected. When he passed his relatives expected and wanted cancer to be recorded as his cause of death but the doctors insisted on putting coronavirus. They complained but nothing more came of it.

Similar cases raised at the Stormont Health Committee.

[Post edited 30 May 2020 13:55]
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 14:47 - May 30 with 1081 viewsElderGrizzly

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 13:54 - May 30 by Bluesquid

Similar cases raised at the Stormont Health Committee.

[Post edited 30 May 2020 13:55]

And look at the scale of deaths compared to us across Europe

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 15:16 - May 30 with 1070 viewslongtimefan

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 10:31 - May 30 by sparks

The usual obfuscation and half truths. Show us where you get the figure of 6 weeks from.

I dont doubt there are occasional outliers- but thats not what we are talking about is it? Nor is it how all these figures are being compiled...

The actual date of death for the deaths announced each day is shown in the files produced daily at this site (for England)
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deat
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 15:58 - May 30 with 1050 viewsElephantintheRoom

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 15:16 - May 30 by longtimefan

The actual date of death for the deaths announced each day is shown in the files produced daily at this site (for England)
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deat

Erm - I think its fairly easy to work out when people died - because they are either dead or alive.

It is the government who chose to mislead the public by announcing recorded deaths... I suspect they have a mechanism in place to monitor actual deaths - or at least i hope they do. But the gross misrepresentation continues...

Out of interest and the staggering hostility to facts on here I had a quick look at the latest figures available...

NHS England announce that 146 people died on 30 May.....

Erm no... 20 died on 29 May, , 51 on 28th May, 14 on 27th May.... 48 occured between 1st and 26th May - and surprise surprise, 13 occured in April with the earliest 3rd of April - a mere 57 days ago.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 16:30 - May 30 with 1031 viewsParky

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 13:05 - May 30 by ElderGrizzly

Not at all. I am just saying this overly positive message from him in particular is dangerous.

The experts in this virus are saying he is wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/30/england-risks-covid-19-surge-witho

Just a browse through your twitter feed tells me differently, every single tweet is moaning about something
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 16:44 - May 30 with 1012 viewsPinewoodblue

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 14:47 - May 30 by ElderGrizzly

And look at the scale of deaths compared to us across Europe

It concerning that the seven day rolling average hasn’t changed much over the last week, up a few one day then down a few the next.

Remembering we are easing up on lockdown rules seems we are prepared to accept around 250 deaths a day..

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 16:54 - May 30 with 1001 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 16:30 - May 30 by Parky

Just a browse through your twitter feed tells me differently, every single tweet is moaning about something

Have you read Elephantintheroom's posts?!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 16:54 - May 30 with 1001 viewsjas0999

At some point, you have to start re opening the country.

If everyone could be trusted to respect the rules and use common sense, then in my opinion this isn’t too early. BUT in that lies the problem - many folk can’t be trusted. Social distancing is virtually nil in supermarkets now. Folk have held parties - there will I suspect be loads tonight.
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 16:58 - May 30 with 996 viewssparks

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 15:58 - May 30 by ElephantintheRoom

Erm - I think its fairly easy to work out when people died - because they are either dead or alive.

It is the government who chose to mislead the public by announcing recorded deaths... I suspect they have a mechanism in place to monitor actual deaths - or at least i hope they do. But the gross misrepresentation continues...

Out of interest and the staggering hostility to facts on here I had a quick look at the latest figures available...

NHS England announce that 146 people died on 30 May.....

Erm no... 20 died on 29 May, , 51 on 28th May, 14 on 27th May.... 48 occured between 1st and 26th May - and surprise surprise, 13 occured in April with the earliest 3rd of April - a mere 57 days ago.

More misdirection. "who chose to mislead the public by announcing recorded deaths."

The numbers remain far higher than other countries relaxing restrictions. Stop trying to muddy very clear waters with pedantry.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 17:36 - May 30 with 960 viewsm14_blue

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 16:54 - May 30 by jas0999

If everyone could be trusted to respect the rules and use common sense, then in my opinion this isn’t too early. BUT in that lies the problem - many folk can’t be trusted. Social distancing is virtually nil in supermarkets now. Folk have held parties - there will I suspect be loads tonight.

If everyone could be trusted to follow the rules there would be no need for a police force or prisons.

It’s just not how the world works (I know you weren’t saying it is) and that’s why the government have been using behavioural scientists throughout this crisis.

They need to allow for human behaviour, it won’t be acceptable for them to blame the public if it emerges we’ve come out of lockdown too soon.
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 17:42 - May 30 with 949 viewsBrixtonBlue

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 16:54 - May 30 by jas0999

"in my opinion this isn’t too early"

What do you base your opinion on?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 17:51 - May 30 with 938 viewsjas0999

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 17:42 - May 30 by BrixtonBlue

"in my opinion this isn’t too early"

What do you base your opinion on?

It’s called an opinion. An opinion or a view doesn’t always have to be backed up with science or fact. One scientist has a different opinion to another. One fan has say, a different opinion on Paul Lambert or Marcus Evans to another.

But I fear you miss the point of my post. If folk could be trusted to obey the rules and social distance, then after over two months the time is right to start easing lockdown. You have to at some point in my view. But they can’t, so the time is not right. Look at the beaches, shops, parties. Folk have failed to follow the rules so can’t be trusted.
Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 17:53 - May 30 with 930 viewssparks

Lockdown being eased too early says Govt scientist on 17:51 - May 30 by jas0999

It’s called an opinion. An opinion or a view doesn’t always have to be backed up with science or fact. One scientist has a different opinion to another. One fan has say, a different opinion on Paul Lambert or Marcus Evans to another.

But I fear you miss the point of my post. If folk could be trusted to obey the rules and social distance, then after over two months the time is right to start easing lockdown. You have to at some point in my view. But they can’t, so the time is not right. Look at the beaches, shops, parties. Folk have failed to follow the rules so can’t be trusted.

An opinion does not have to be backed up by anything.

But if it has not been reached by any reference to facts, information, reason or knowledge, it is a worthless and potentially dangerous opinion which should be called out.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024