Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching skynews on the American riots 07:33 - May 30 with 1981 viewsbluelagos

They just reported an SUV drew up and someone fired on protesters in Detriot and killed a protester.

Looks like things could escalate even more. There's an awful lot of pent up anger clearly and it doesn't seem to be going away...
[Post edited 30 May 2020 7:34]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Watching skynews on the American riots on 07:39 - May 30 with 1952 viewsShawsey

Unfortunately, no matter how much they demonstrate, America is to thick to change. This will change nothing long term. Proper education and reform needs to happen. Sad times.
Watching skynews on the American riots on 08:10 - May 30 with 1885 viewsGuthrum

Exacerbated by Covid-19, lockdown, economic hardship and someone in the White House who prefers stoking up tensions to calming them.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Watching skynews on the American riots on 08:23 - May 30 with 1848 viewsElderGrizzly

They’re currently trying to break into the White House compound in DC
Watching skynews on the American riots on 11:48 - May 30 with 1714 viewsmidastouch

Watching skynews on the American riots on 08:23 - May 30 by ElderGrizzly

They’re currently trying to break into the White House compound in DC

Is SpruceMoose anywhere among them?

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Watching skynews on the American riots on 11:52 - May 30 with 1692 viewsStokieBlue

It's getting totally out of control and it's easy to see why.

Sure, the officer has been charged now but it wasn't immediate and it's just a latest in a long line of offences by the police on minorities. It could really escalate.

Have to feel a little sorry for the small businesses being burnt and smashed who haven't done anything but at the same time one can understand the protesters wanting to make a point, even if I feel violent protest often doesn't achieve it's aims.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:02 - May 30 with 1666 viewsgiant_stow

I couldnt bring myself to watch the video, but what did the copper do while the man was saying i cant breath? Just ignore him? I know there have been othet videos of the police diing such things, but just windrrring if the particularly cruel nature of this one has really hit people?
[Post edited 30 May 2020 12:02]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:05 - May 30 with 1653 viewsPinewoodblue

Watching skynews on the American riots on 11:52 - May 30 by StokieBlue

Sure, the officer has been charged now but it wasn't immediate and it's just a latest in a long line of offences by the police on minorities. It could really escalate.

Have to feel a little sorry for the small businesses being burnt and smashed who haven't done anything but at the same time one can understand the protesters wanting to make a point, even if I feel violent protest often doesn't achieve it's aims.

SB

The protests in Louisville relate to an earlier incident when the Police executed a no knock warrant but went to the wrong house killing the occupant.

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/29/864775688/7-shot-at-louisville-protests-calling-f

Last night troubles were more horrific, Police fired pepper spray at local news reporter and camera man. Lots of looting, people walking through city centre streets with hammers just breaking every window they can get to. Tried to set fire to justice building.

Added second link.

https://www.wave3.com/2020/05/29/lmpd-officer-fires-pepper-balls-wave-news-repor
[Post edited 30 May 2020 12:11]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:05 - May 30 with 1654 viewsDanTheMan

Watching skynews on the American riots on 11:52 - May 30 by StokieBlue

SB

To be fair to them, they did try peaceful protesting by kneeling during some football games which got a lot of people very mad for no particular reason and... didn't achieve anything.

I'm with you that I wish it didn't have to happen, and I do feel bad for the people who have to deal with it.

But I care more about the value of human life than property at the end of the day.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:25 - May 30 with 1592 viewsSpruceMoose

Watching skynews on the American riots on 07:39 - May 30 by Shawsey

Unfortunately, no matter how much they demonstrate, America is to thick to change. This will change nothing long term. Proper education and reform needs to happen. Sad times.

You could just as easily be talking about the UK there.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:26 - May 30 with 1589 viewsAlanRetentive

Watching skynews on the American riots on 07:39 - May 30 by Shawsey

There is an 'o' missing in your post.

*** Puch Maxi N Owners Club, Social Distancing Officer (SoDOff) and Undersecretary for The Verification of Vaccinations And Testing (UTVVAT) 2021 ***

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:35 - May 30 with 1565 viewsmidastouch

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:25 - May 30 by SpruceMoose

You could just as easily be talking about the UK there.

Have you seen Michael Moore's "Where to Invade Next"? If so you'll notice he didn't bother with England at all. It's well worth a watch. Compare a school dinner in France to a school dinner in the USA for example!
See here:

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:37 - May 30 with 1556 viewsSpruceMoose

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:05 - May 30 by DanTheMan

To be fair to them, they did try peaceful protesting by kneeling during some football games which got a lot of people very mad for no particular reason and... didn't achieve anything.

I'm with you that I wish it didn't have to happen, and I do feel bad for the people who have to deal with it.

But I care more about the value of human life than property at the end of the day.

Exactly. This is about more than just one incident. As I tried to explain to certain a certain poster the other day institutional and systematic racism is a fact of daily life for millions and millions of people, and millions and millions of other people either don't or won't see it. America loves black culture, it just doesn't love black people.

The more this gets responded to by people defensively, resorting to a 'yeah but some white people are poor too' position, the more the point gets missed and the more this will happen.

Wait until it gets to be high humidity and 35 degrees this summer in many of these cities where because of the lockdown there will be fewer places to go and fewer things to do. I think this might only just be starting.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:39 - May 30 with 1538 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:05 - May 30 by DanTheMan

This.

The riots are wrong. Utterly wrong. But understandable.

As much as MLK achieved there is still an enormous way for the US (and us as well) to go.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:42 - May 30 with 1522 viewsSpruceMoose

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:35 - May 30 by midastouch

Have you seen Michael Moore's "Where to Invade Next"? If so you'll notice he didn't bother with England at all. It's well worth a watch. Compare a school dinner in France to a school dinner in the USA for example!
See here:

I saw someone online describe Germany as a shït hole country the other day. Every single American is conditioned from birth to believe the US is number one in everything. This attitude in the past has lead to some incredible achievements, but now it seems to be back firing.

Obviously many Americans are intelligent enough to see beyond this ridiculous fantasy, but someone who had never traveled (and there are millions of these people) probably believes that being bankrupted by medical debt is the price you pay for living in the greatest country in the world, and that endless strip malls are the peak of human design and creativity.
[Post edited 30 May 2020 12:45]

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:45 - May 30 with 1511 viewsgiant_stow

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:42 - May 30 by SpruceMoose

I saw someone online describe Germany as a shït hole country the other day. Every single American is conditioned from birth to believe the US is number one in everything. This attitude in the past has lead to some incredible achievements, but now it seems to be back firing.

Obviously many Americans are intelligent enough to see beyond this ridiculous fantasy, but someone who had never traveled (and there are millions of these people) probably believes that being bankrupted by medical debt is the price you pay for living in the greatest country in the world, and that endless strip malls are the peak of human design and creativity.

You really think this could go nuclear? Not doubting you, just interested...

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:47 - May 30 with 1507 viewsDanTheMan

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:39 - May 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

This.

The riots are wrong. Utterly wrong. But understandable.

As much as MLK achieved there is still an enormous way for the US (and us as well) to go.

“Urban riots must now be recognized as durable social phenomena,” he told the assembled crowd of mostly white doctors and academics. “They may be deplored, but they are there and should be understood. Urban riots are a special form of violence. They are not insurrections. The rioters are not seeking to seize territory or to attain control of institutions. They are mainly intended to shock the white community. They are a distorted form of social protest. The looting which is their principal feature serves many functions. It enables the most enraged and deprived Negro to take hold of consumer goods with the ease the white man does by using his purse. Often the Negro does not even want what he takes; he wants the experience of taking.”

MLK, September 1967.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:48 - May 30 with 1506 viewsGuthrum

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:02 - May 30 by giant_stow

I couldnt bring myself to watch the video, but what did the copper do while the man was saying i cant breath? Just ignore him? I know there have been othet videos of the police diing such things, but just windrrring if the particularly cruel nature of this one has really hit people?
[Post edited 30 May 2020 12:02]

One of the things I find most odd is that the cop knew the guy, had worked alongside him as a nightclub bouncer. Yet he used, over several minutes, sufficient force to kill him.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:50 - May 30 with 1498 viewsmidastouch

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:42 - May 30 by SpruceMoose

Sounds like you might of already watched it but if you haven't you'll be interested to know he visits Germany as well and it compares more than favourably to the USA.
His visit to Norway was interesting to say the least! See here:

He also shows how much more French citizens typically get for their slightly higher income taxes and when you break it down it's a much better value money for system than that of the USA.
Definitely worth a watch if you haven't already seen it.

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:54 - May 30 with 1482 viewsSpruceMoose

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:45 - May 30 by giant_stow

You really think this could go nuclear? Not doubting you, just interested...

Nuclear? Not sure what you mean by that?

I think you could see more riots is what I mean. Hot, bored, angry people. A police force who love to reach for their riot gear and go from 1 to 10 at the drop of the hat. Could kick off.

For example, bcause of the virus nyc has cancelled all summer teen activities, no day camps, no summer school, no public pools. There will be a lot of of poor, angry teens, I'm talking 16 to 18 year olds, with nothing to do and nowhere to go. All it would take us one bad interaction with police on video. It won't take much to set it all off again given those conditions.

I also think it's important to watch that video. Face reality, however uncomfortable that is.
[Post edited 30 May 2020 12:57]

Watching skynews on the American riots on 13:11 - May 30 with 1441 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:54 - May 30 by SpruceMoose

I think you could see more riots is what I mean. Hot, bored, angry people. A police force who love to reach for their riot gear and go from 1 to 10 at the drop of the hat. Could kick off.

For example, bcause of the virus nyc has cancelled all summer teen activities, no day camps, no summer school, no public pools. There will be a lot of of poor, angry teens, I'm talking 16 to 18 year olds, with nothing to do and nowhere to go. All it would take us one bad interaction with police on video. It won't take much to set it all off again given those conditions.

I also think it's important to watch that video. Face reality, however uncomfortable that is.

Can I urge caution on sharing the video?

It is celebrated by white supremacists who used to share images of lynching. It also possibly serves to desensitise people to the violence. I saw one still image and that was more than enough for me.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Watching skynews on the American riots on 13:24 - May 30 with 1416 viewsgiant_stow

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:48 - May 30 by Guthrum

One of the things I find most odd is that the cop knew the guy, had worked alongside him as a nightclub bouncer. Yet he used, over several minutes, sufficient force to kill him.

Wtf? Sick world.

Watching skynews on the American riots on 13:26 - May 30 with 1408 viewsgiant_stow

Watching skynews on the American riots on 12:54 - May 30 by SpruceMoose

By nuclear, i meant society fallung apart i spose, especially with the election to come.

Sounds like you wouldnt go that far yet?

Cant watch the video mr - just too much. I dont want to watch a man's life ebb away.

Watching skynews on the American riots on 13:32 - May 30 with 1392 viewsSpruceMoose

Watching skynews on the American riots on 13:11 - May 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

Can I urge caution on sharing the video?

It is celebrated by white supremacists who used to share images of lynching. It also possibly serves to desensitise people to the violence. I saw one still image and that was more than enough for me.

I see your point, have wrestled with it myself too, but ultimately I landed on the idea that I shouldn't not see who the enemy are and how they operate. That's a personal decision though.

Watching skynews on the American riots on 13:33 - May 30 with 1391 viewsSpruceMoose

Watching skynews on the American riots on 13:26 - May 30 by giant_stow

By nuclear, i meant society fallung apart i spose, especially with the election to come.

Sounds like you wouldnt go that far yet?

Cant watch the video mr - just too much. I dont want to watch a man's life ebb away.

I suppose the thing is that for many people society already has fallen apart. That's why they are so angry.

Watching skynews on the American riots on 13:41 - May 30 with 1364 viewsgiant_stow

Watching skynews on the American riots on 13:33 - May 30 by SpruceMoose

I suppose the thing is that for many people society already has fallen apart. That's why they are so angry.

Fair point

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024