Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trevor Noah vid 10:48 - May 30 with 2410 viewsOldsmoker

This is a vid of Trevor Noah commenting on the George Floyd killing.
It's not funny like his Daily Show output and it's not meant to be.
It's his thoughts on American society and it's attitude towards Black people.

Edit: the link doesn't work for some reason.

Go on Youtube and search Trevor Noah George Floyd

It's well worth watching
[Post edited 30 May 2020 10:52]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Trevor Noah vid on 14:32 - May 30 with 2293 viewsWeWereZombies

Right video, OldSmoker? Working for everyone?
[Post edited 30 May 2020 14:34]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Trevor Noah vid on 17:11 - May 30 with 2233 viewsOldsmoker

Trevor Noah vid on 14:32 - May 30 by WeWereZombies

Thanks for taking the time to sort that WWZ.
I wanted others to see the vid because he explained the racism that black people feel everyday in a clear way. No preaching, no anger. Just told it the way it is.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Trevor Noah vid on 18:31 - May 30 with 2191 viewsWeWereZombies

Trevor Noah vid on 17:11 - May 30 by Oldsmoker

Thanks for taking the time to sort that WWZ.
I wanted others to see the vid because he explained the racism that black people feel everyday in a clear way. No preaching, no anger. Just told it the way it is.

As well as being an astute observer of comedy in everyday life Trevor Noah is such a level headed commentator. That was a compelling listen, thanks.

Trevor Noah vid on 20:54 - May 30 with 2140 viewsDarth_Koont

Excellent watch. And a massively important perspective.

Pronouns: He/Him

Trevor Noah vid on 20:57 - May 30 with 2129 viewsjeera

Thanks for posting that fella.

(And to Zombie for reposting!)

Well worth a few minutes of anyone's time.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Trevor Noah vid on 00:13 - May 31 with 2062 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Trevor Noah vid on 14:32 - May 30 by WeWereZombies

We need people at the top to be accountable and to set a good example! Hmm.

Where else have we seen that recently?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Trevor Noah vid on 11:46 - May 31 with 1921 viewsDarth_Koont

Bump

Trevor Noah vid on 13:42 - May 31 with 1876 viewseireblue

He makes a good point.

It would be an interesting historical thing to examine. How many successful rights movements, where more freedoms have been granted to a previously repressed people, have not involved violence.

That is not to advocate for it.
Login to get fewer ads

Trevor Noah vid on 18:36 - May 31 with 1826 viewsWeWereZombies

Trevor Noah vid on 13:42 - May 31 by eireblue

He makes a good point.

It would be an interesting historical thing to examine. How many successful rights movements, where more freedoms have been granted to a previously repressed people, have not involved violence.

I think it is the resistance rather than the violence that works - but often the oppressive regime that is resisted is so provocative that violence becomes inevitable. Trevor Noah grew up in apartheid South Africa so he knows The two books that I have read on that era are Anthony Sampson's biography of Mandela and Dervla Murphy's 'South from the Limpopo', both of which I would recommend for their balanced evaluation of the turbulent times. And if you ever find yourself in Johannesburg don't miss out on a visit to the Apartheid Museum.

Trevor Noah vid on 19:21 - May 31 with 1793 viewsSwansea_Blue

Trevor Noah vid on 20:54 - May 30 by Darth_Koont

Excellent watch. And a massively important perspective.

I’m just starting to watch, but he hasn’t got off to a great start blaming Dominoes. Ok, I was always more of a Pizza Express man myself, but perspective innit

I’m going back for more as the Mrs has phoned one of her sisters. I’ve got hours to fill now.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Trevor Noah vid on 11:08 - Jun 1 with 1668 viewsDecageBruce

Thanks, that was a very good an interesting watch
Trevor Noah vid on 11:42 - Jun 1 with 1639 viewsDarth_Koont

Trevor Noah vid on 13:42 - May 31 by eireblue

He makes a good point.

Indeed. There can be examples like Gandhi and Indian independence but that came in the immediate aftermath of a World War when there was little appetite, capability or justification in resisting the tide of history.

People use MLK as an example but there was no shortage of violent protest going on as well. There were multiple race riots across the US in the few years preceding the Civil Rights Act in 1968. And that act was pushed through during the riots after King was assassinated. Just that assassination on its own should make people think about the limits of peaceful protest.

The issue with protest is that you need the righteousness of MLK but you also need the anger and strength to be recognised too.

It's something a white majority understands when it comes to a military defending the country or indeed fighting for what is *right* overseas. I don't see many people saying we should get rid of our military and peacefully protest through diplomacy or at the UN. Wish it were so (and it's getting better) but that's not the world we've created and still live in.

Trevor Noah vid on 12:30 - Jun 1 with 1597 viewsWeWereZombies

Trevor Noah vid on 11:42 - Jun 1 by Darth_Koont

Indeed. There can be examples like Gandhi and Indian independence but that came in the immediate aftermath of a World War when there was little appetite, capability or justification in resisting the tide of history.

People use MLK as an example but there was no shortage of violent protest going on as well. There were multiple race riots across the US in the few years preceding the Civil Rights Act in 1968. And that act was pushed through during the riots after King was assassinated. Just that assassination on its own should make people think about the limits of peaceful protest.

The issue with protest is that you need the righteousness of MLK but you also need the anger and strength to be recognised too.

It's something a white majority understands when it comes to a military defending the country or indeed fighting for what is *right* overseas. I don't see many people saying we should get rid of our military and peacefully protest through diplomacy or at the UN. Wish it were so (and it's getting better) but that's not the world we've created and still live in.

Before all else, be armed. — Niccolò Machiavelli

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024