Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... 22:17 - May 30 with 3974 viewstractordownsouth

... to have an affair. Glad she's resigned her position, I quite like her as well so a shame she broke the rules.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 22:24 - May 30 with 3911 viewsronnyd

Yes, it's so nice to know that we're all in it together.
Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 22:41 - May 30 with 3762 viewsbournemouthblue

At least she has the guts to resign I guess

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 22:45 - May 30 with 3717 viewsElderGrizzly

Surely she should be stepping down as an MP, not just as a whip?
Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 22:45 - May 30 with 3721 viewstractordownsouth

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 22:41 - May 30 by bournemouthblue

At least she has the guts to resign I guess

Well yes quite. Wonder if any Tories who said that it was the end of the matter with Cummings not resigning, will be wangling on about Duffield even after she's accepted her errors.

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 22:52 - May 30 with 3625 viewstractordownsouth

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 22:45 - May 30 by ElderGrizzly

Surely she should be stepping down as an MP, not just as a whip?

Possibly. Difference is that there are more mechanisms for her to be held to account than there are with Cummings, as she isn't directly employed by the PM and didn't have half the cabinet coming out to defend her wrongdoing.

Think there should be mechanisms for a recall petition in situations beyond the ones already in place though.

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 08:32 - May 31 with 3028 viewsGlasgowBlue

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 22:45 - May 30 by tractordownsouth

Well yes quite. Wonder if any Tories who said that it was the end of the matter with Cummings not resigning, will be wangling on about Duffield even after she's accepted her errors.

You know my position on Cummings. He should have been sacked.

However, RD hasn’t lost her job. She’s stepped down from a more senior position. Like for like would be Cummings staying as part of Johnson’s team but in a more junior role.
[Post edited 31 May 2020 8:33]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 09:31 - May 31 with 2933 viewsWeWereZombies

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 08:32 - May 31 by GlasgowBlue

However, RD hasn’t lost her job. She’s stepped down from a more senior position. Like for like would be Cummings staying as part of Johnson’s team but in a more junior role.

Apples and pears, dear boy. Cummings is an employee whilst Duffield is an elected representative. The power to remove Cummings rests with his employer, I guess this is Boris Johnson, or perhaps the Conservative Party, maybe some third party in an IR35 type of arrangement? Duffield has a duty to the electorate to serve as a Member of Parliament and can only be removed by Parliamentary processes.

And I should never have watched the National Theatre Live's 'This House' on Thursday because my head is still full of examples and counter examples...
[Post edited 31 May 2020 10:27]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 09:38 - May 31 with 2914 viewsSwansea_Blue

What’s wrong with these muppets?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 09:39 - May 31 with 2911 viewstractordownsouth

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 08:32 - May 31 by GlasgowBlue

She's elected and her constituents can decided whether to punish her for it at the next election, whereas there's no mechanism to remove DC. If this gets to the point where it's seriously undermining public health messaging then she should consider her position.

I've said on here before that DC could have got away without the backlash had he apologised and the government admitted fault early doors, which is why I imagine this will be less of a story.

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 09:51 - May 31 with 2877 viewsWeWereZombies

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 09:38 - May 31 by Swansea_Blue

What’s wrong with these muppets?

It's been four years since their last television series?

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 10:10 - May 31 with 2837 viewsSwansea_Blue

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 09:51 - May 31 by WeWereZombies

It's been four years since their last television series?

Ha! Seriously though, if you’re in a position of public office wouldn’t you try to lead by example? How hard can it be to keep your pants on or avoid driving to your second/third home?

Not that I’m enjoying the lockdown fascism angle and all the politically motivated whataboutery mind you.
[Post edited 31 May 2020 10:18]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 10:23 - May 31 with 2802 viewspointofblue

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 09:39 - May 31 by tractordownsouth

She's elected and her constituents can decided whether to punish her for it at the next election, whereas there's no mechanism to remove DC. If this gets to the point where it's seriously undermining public health messaging then she should consider her position.

I've said on here before that DC could have got away without the backlash had he apologised and the government admitted fault early doors, which is why I imagine this will be less of a story.

Isn’t there a mechanism in place where her constituents can call for a by-election if enough of them petition for it? Again, no such provision in place for St Dominic.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 10:25 - May 31 with 2785 viewsWeWereZombies

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 10:10 - May 31 by Swansea_Blue

Ha! Seriously though, if you’re in a position of public office wouldn’t you try to lead by example? How hard can it be to keep your pants on or avoid driving to your second/third home?

Not that I’m enjoying the lockdown fascism angle and all the politically motivated whataboutery mind you.
[Post edited 31 May 2020 10:18]

I thought your Muppet post included Rosie Duffield? The short item on the nine o'clock news on Radio Four this morning said she had travelled a little way (didn't say how far) to have a walk with her estranged partner to discuss something (childcare issue?) so the lover's tryst angle sounds unproven. It didn't say whether either of them was displaying any symptoms of Covid-19 (although having read an article on the BBC webpage about the 'secret spreaders' in a church in Singapore that may be irrelevant). She has definitely done the right thing by resigning the whip, wonder if Keir Starmer had to ask for that or if it was done voluntarily at the first hint of adverse publicity?

If you look at the five cases of Calderwood, Ferguson, Kinnock, Cummings and now Duffield there are circumstantial differences in all of them. But Calderwood (eventually, and it looks like Nicola Sturgeon really had to lean on her), Ferguson and Duffield have all done the right thing. Kinnock has not but his was an infringement that did not imperil anyone else. Cummings is clearly indefensible, I will again recommend a listen to Anand Menon on this week's 'The News Quiz' to fully understand the silliness of Cummings, Boris Johnson et al.

As for Kermit and Miss Piggy, I have it on good authority (NotSure and Pecker) that they are currently climbing Mount Everest with Fergal. But they are all keeping at least two metres of rope apart...
[Post edited 31 May 2020 10:30]

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 10:29 - May 31 with 2757 viewsGlasgowBlue

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 10:25 - May 31 by WeWereZombies

I thought your Muppet post included Rosie Duffield? The short item on the nine o'clock news on Radio Four this morning said she had travelled a little way (didn't say how far) to have a walk with her estranged partner to discuss something (childcare issue?) so the lover's tryst angle sounds unproven. It didn't say whether either of them was displaying any symptoms of Covid-19 (although having read an article on the BBC webpage about the 'secret spreaders' in a church in Singapore that may be irrelevant). She has definitely done the right thing by resigning the whip, wonder if Keir Starmer had to ask for that or if it was done voluntarily at the first hint of adverse publicity?

If you look at the five cases of Calderwood, Ferguson, Kinnock, Cummings and now Duffield there are circumstantial differences in all of them. But Calderwood (eventually, and it looks like Nicola Sturgeon really had to lean on her), Ferguson and Duffield have all done the right thing. Kinnock has not but his was an infringement that did not imperil anyone else. Cummings is clearly indefensible, I will again recommend a listen to Anand Menon on this week's 'The News Quiz' to fully understand the silliness of Cummings, Boris Johnson et al.

As for Kermit and Miss Piggy, I have it on good authority (NotSure and Pecker) that they are currently climbing Mount Everest with Fergal. But they are all keeping at least two metres of rope apart...
[Post edited 31 May 2020 10:30]

She was having it away with a married man. She met him several times, including in her own home, despite him living with his wife in another address.

He’s since binned the wife and moved in with RD.

Iron Lion Zion

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 10:32 - May 31 with 2750 viewsWeWereZombies

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 10:29 - May 31 by GlasgowBlue

She was having it away with a married man. She met him several times, including in her own home, despite him living with his wife in another address.

He’s since binned the wife and moved in with RD.

Sorry, I didn't realise you were stalking her...

None of what you have just posted surfaced in the news report, and there is very little about this on the BBC website. Still being fact checked I guess.

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 11:12 - May 31 with 2682 viewsbournemouthblue

Which could easily have happened and he wouldn't have any less influence. It would have probably nipped things in the bud.

The way the Tories are funded, I'd assume he could be sacked and paid by a third party and still have some sort of influence if unofficially.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 12:33 - May 31 with 2609 viewsGlasgowBlue

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 10:32 - May 31 by WeWereZombies

Sorry, I didn't realise you were stalking her...

None of what you have just posted surfaced in the news report, and there is very little about this on the BBC website. Still being fact checked I guess.

How is reading her own account of the situation “stalking her”?

Whereas you made old speculation that it was her “estranged partner” and they were discussing childcare arrangements.

You are seriously weird.

Iron Lion Zion

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 15:49 - May 31 with 2495 viewsVaughan8

Steps down from being the the shadow cabinet, not being an MP haha
Not really much of a gesture I suppose, better than some, but lets not say she "resigned" as that sounds like she left her job, which she hasn't.....
Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 16:33 - May 31 with 2447 viewstractordownsouth

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 15:49 - May 31 by Vaughan8

Steps down from being the the shadow cabinet, not being an MP haha
Not really much of a gesture I suppose, better than some, but lets not say she "resigned" as that sounds like she left her job, which she hasn't.....

"resigns as Labour whip" is what I said, and that's what has happened.

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 17:56 - May 31 with 2372 viewsWeWereZombies

Rosie Duffield resigns as Labour whip for breaking lockdown... on 12:33 - May 31 by GlasgowBlue

How is reading her own account of the situation “stalking her”?

Whereas you made old speculation that it was her “estranged partner” and they were discussing childcare arrangements.

You are seriously weird.

If your behaviour is what you regard as normal then I am very grateful to be thought weird by you. All I was doing was repeating what I heard on the morning news, not some prurient fantasies of a bored journalist in a scandal rag. But fine, you go ahead and believe what you want.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024