Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’ve cried twice this weekend already... 06:56 - May 31 with 13377 viewsmonytowbray

...watching the scenes in the USA.

Gonna say it now, anyone who wants to sit there saying “BuT tHey’Re BeInG vIoLeNt” needs to pull their head out their ass. This has gone on for decades. Every time the correct avenues are used nothing changes. If violence isn’t the way forward, then stop exhausting people to it as a last resort.

With that I leave you with the two things that brought me to tears (the second one comes with a distress warning).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CA0nIY5g9mg/

And on that note, this tweet from the DC mayor says everything you need to know about America right now.

[Post edited 31 May 2020 7:01]

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 07:47 - May 31 with 3795 viewseastangliaisblue

Firstly i just wanted to say what happened to George Floyd was utterly disgusting and shocking. The officer involved deserves to rot in prison until the end of his days.

However how anyone can condone looting and destroying of businesses is beyond me. Many of those businesses will be owned by or employ African Americans. Along with many working class people from the white and Latino communities.

I dare say a lot of these people will already be struggling financially with Covid-19. I don't fully understand the American welfare system but i bet these people won't be given much help.

So please tell me how looting and vandalism is justified?
[Post edited 31 May 2020 7:49]
I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 07:54 - May 31 with 3768 viewsbluelagos

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 07:47 - May 31 by eastangliaisblue

Firstly i just wanted to say what happened to George Floyd was utterly disgusting and shocking. The officer involved deserves to rot in prison until the end of his days.

However how anyone can condone looting and destroying of businesses is beyond me. Many of those businesses will be owned by or employ African Americans. Along with many working class people from the white and Latino communities.

I dare say a lot of these people will already be struggling financially with Covid-19. I don't fully understand the American welfare system but i bet these people won't be given much help.

A far better question is what would you suggest they do? How do they stop policemen killing black people in their communities?

If you can answer that, then those rioting have an alternative way of expressing their disgust at the way the system currently sees a policeman happy to kill a man with little fear of repercussions.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 08:00 - May 31 with 3749 viewseastangliaisblue

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 07:54 - May 31 by bluelagos

A far better question is what would you suggest they do? How do they stop policemen killing black people in their communities?

If you can answer that, then those rioting have an alternative way of expressing their disgust at the way the system currently sees a policeman happy to kill a man with little fear of repercussions.

I get the anger and by all means vent that anger at the authorities. Seeing cop cars and precincts as Americans call them being attacked are fair game.

Again someone please justify to me destroying innocent peoples businesses as acceptable.
I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 08:12 - May 31 with 3728 viewsbluelagos

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 08:00 - May 31 by eastangliaisblue

I get the anger and by all means vent that anger at the authorities. Seeing cop cars and precincts as Americans call them being attacked are fair game.

Again someone please justify to me destroying innocent peoples businesses as acceptable.

You have avoided my question (as I have yours tbf).

Here goes: I dont think burning down businesses in your own community is particularly wise, unless it is the catalist for systemic change in society. If America finally wakes up to the injustices being perpetrated on a daily basis to people of colour and makes fundamental reforms to it's police and justice system it would be a small price to pay.

That said I see little evidence of that actually happening so unltimately it may prove futile and simply be hurting those innocent business owners.

But angry people have no viable alternative (that I can see) to rioting as a means of expressing their anger and trying to bring about change. Peaceful protest (as you can see in Spruce's post) is responded to with police violence. So any wonder people use violence?

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 08:26 - May 31 with 3679 viewseastangliaisblue

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 08:12 - May 31 by bluelagos

You have avoided my question (as I have yours tbf).

Here goes: I dont think burning down businesses in your own community is particularly wise, unless it is the catalist for systemic change in society. If America finally wakes up to the injustices being perpetrated on a daily basis to people of colour and makes fundamental reforms to it's police and justice system it would be a small price to pay.

That said I see little evidence of that actually happening so unltimately it may prove futile and simply be hurting those innocent business owners.

But angry people have no viable alternative (that I can see) to rioting as a means of expressing their anger and trying to bring about change. Peaceful protest (as you can see in Spruce's post) is responded to with police violence. So any wonder people use violence?

My apologies as i also didn't answer your question. I'm not sure i even have an answer. I agree with what you say that fundamental reforms need to take place.

I just don't get and never will the destruction of innocent peoples businesses and ultimately their lives. Some of them will have worked hard their whole lives to build their businesses up to what they are. To then have them destroyed through no fault of their own

Like i said previous the anger should be vented at the authorities. By all means riot against the machine if you will.

I have seen the clips posted by Spruce. Thats where the anger should be directed at. Cops performing disgusting acts like that. Not innocent people. So i still can't see how anyone can condone what i have been saying.
I’ve cried twice this weekend already... (n/t) on 08:32 - May 31 with 3660 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

[Post edited 31 May 2020 8:35]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 08:34 - May 31 with 3654 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Firstly, he won't!

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 08:36 - May 31 with 3646 viewsbluelagos

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 08:26 - May 31 by eastangliaisblue

My apologies as i also didn't answer your question. I'm not sure i even have an answer. I agree with what you say that fundamental reforms need to take place.

I just don't get and never will the destruction of innocent peoples businesses and ultimately their lives. Some of them will have worked hard their whole lives to build their businesses up to what they are. To then have them destroyed through no fault of their own

Like i said previous the anger should be vented at the authorities. By all means riot against the machine if you will.

I have seen the clips posted by Spruce. Thats where the anger should be directed at. Cops performing disgusting acts like that. Not innocent people. So i still can't see how anyone can condone what i have been saying.

I dont condone it. I seek to understand what is underlying it. Because until you address the reasons for the anger, or give people a peaceful way to acheive needed reforms, then it will continue.

And we will be having the exact same conversation again. And again.

Just as we all did after Rodney King was assaulted 29 years ago. Not a lot seems to have changed other than the widespread use of mobile phones to capture the misconduct and social media to share it.

The system needs to change and if people cant see that, or wont see that, or refuse to reform, then that is the problem, not the reactions we are seeing manifesting itself in rioting.

Focus on the root cause rather than the symptoms!

Login to get fewer ads

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 08:58 - May 31 with 3571 viewseastangliaisblue

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 08:36 - May 31 by bluelagos

I dont condone it. I seek to understand what is underlying it. Because until you address the reasons for the anger, or give people a peaceful way to acheive needed reforms, then it will continue.

Just as we all did after Rodney King was assaulted 29 years ago. Not a lot seems to have changed other than the widespread use of mobile phones to capture the misconduct and social media to share it.

The system needs to change and if people cant see that, or wont see that, or refuse to reform, then that is the problem, not the reactions we are seeing manifesting itself in rioting.

I agree with you. I just can't accept people saying looting businesses is acceptable. Direct that anger where it needs to be.
I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 08:59 - May 31 with 3570 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 08:36 - May 31 by bluelagos

That speech from Killer smile was dignified, impassioned and heartbreaking all at the same time.

He’s right that change can only come from the ballot box or peaceful protest. Which by in large the majority of the black community are participating in.

What the black community dint need are AntiFa thugs stoking the fires and bringing even more trouble in the black community.

This completely plays into Trump’s hand because it won’t be the white rioters who will be remembered. It will all come down on the black community.

It’s another form of white privilege as they know full well that they went get anywhere near the same punishment that they’d get if they were black.

Back to Killer Mike. He’s right when he says it shouldn’t just be one prosecution. Everyone involved in the murder of George Floyd needs to be persecuted and sentenced appropriately. Justice has to be seen to work for all citizens regardless if their colour.
[Post edited 31 May 2020 9:10]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:09 - May 31 with 3543 viewseastangliaisblue

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 08:59 - May 31 by GlasgowBlue

That speech from Killer smile was dignified, impassioned and heartbreaking all at the same time.

He’s right that change can only come from the ballot box or peaceful protest. Which by in large the majority of the black community are participating in.

What the black community dint need are AntiFa thugs stoking the fires and bringing even more trouble in the black community.

This completely plays into Trump’s hand because it won’t be the white rioters who will be remembered. It will all come down on the black community.

It’s another form of white privilege as they know full well that they went get anywhere near the same punishment that they’d get if they were black.

Back to Killer Mike. He’s right when he says it shouldn’t just be one prosecution. Everyone involved in the murder of George Floyd needs to be persecuted and sentenced appropriately. Justice has to be seen to work for all citizens regardless if their colour.

Well said that man.
I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:15 - May 31 with 3531 viewsStokieBlue

This is all absolutely correct and fully understandable.

Rioting is certainly understandable given the situation and how it has built up over many years. The anger coupled with C19 and a totally idiotic president is a potent cocktail and was always going to end in this type of event. Things need to change. The fact the officer wasn't even charged for days and the other 3 haven't had any repercussions just highlight even more why they are rightly angry. The minority communities have had to put up with this rubbish for far too long.

I think on the minutiae of his point I did just see a video on Marr of people filling a bin bags with stuff from a shop. Rioting and looting are not the same and images such of that are going to play into Trumps narrative whereby he can dismiss the whole legitimate protest as simply violent rioters, looters and extremists.

Perfectly possible the people doing that aren't even "proper" protesters but bandwagon jumpers looking to push their own politics but that distinction isn't important to some Americans wanting to hear what Trump has to push.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:23 - May 31 with 3501 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:15 - May 31 by StokieBlue

This is all absolutely correct and fully understandable.

Rioting is certainly understandable given the situation and how it has built up over many years. The anger coupled with C19 and a totally idiotic president is a potent cocktail and was always going to end in this type of event. Things need to change. The fact the officer wasn't even charged for days and the other 3 haven't had any repercussions just highlight even more why they are rightly angry. The minority communities have had to put up with this rubbish for far too long.

I think on the minutiae of his point I did just see a video on Marr of people filling a bin bags with stuff from a shop. Rioting and looting are not the same and images such of that are going to play into Trumps narrative whereby he can dismiss the whole legitimate protest as simply violent rioters, looters and extremists.

Perfectly possible the people doing that aren't even "proper" protesters but bandwagon jumpers looking to push their own politics but that distinction isn't important to some Americans wanting to hear what Trump has to push.

SB

When it comes to violence the State always wins.
History teaches us that democracy changes nothing on the ground in reality in relation to police brutality.
Maybe the only alternative is to create parallel autonomous local structures and then inform state institutions of violence that they are no longer welcome in said communities.

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:25 - May 31 with 3492 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:09 - May 31 by eastangliaisblue

Well said that man.

Apart from none of it addresses the problem that the State ignores peaceful calls for change.

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:32 - May 31 with 3465 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:25 - May 31 by BanksterDebtSlave

Apart from none of it addresses the problem that the State ignores peaceful calls for change.

Do you think that white privileged AntiFa thugs burning down black communities and black owned business, ignoring the pleas of peaceful black protesters and community leaders, is going to lead to any positive change?

Iron Lion Zion

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:37 - May 31 with 3438 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 08:59 - May 31 by GlasgowBlue

The racism angle is bad enough without the need for people to turn it into a left-right culture war. I suppose that’s the binary world we now live in sadly.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:44 - May 31 with 3416 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I suspect that any looting and vandalism is probably done by people who are not protesters, especially the looting. The perpetrators are taking advantage of the situation.

No issue with the protests, its an individual's choice to decide what risk they collectively take, and clearly they are feel strongly enough about the situation for it to take precedence over Covid 19, which is understandable.

Looting is just theft, and only really detracts from the cause.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:46 - May 31 with 3398 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:37 - May 31 by Swansea_Blue

The racism angle is bad enough without the need for people to turn it into a left-right culture war. I suppose that’s the binary world we now live in sadly.

That’s exactly what Trump wants. This will sadly harden his core supporters because all they’ll see is “n*iggers” rioting and looting.

The black community are angry and quite rightly want change but they don’t want to burn their own community down to the ground. The anarchists just want anarchy, which is exactly what Trump wants and needs when he is faltering in the polls.

Iron Lion Zion

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:58 - May 31 with 3357 viewspointofblue

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:44 - May 31 by Marshalls_Mullet

I suspect that any looting and vandalism is probably done by people who are not protesters, especially the looting. The perpetrators are taking advantage of the situation.

No issue with the protests, its an individual's choice to decide what risk they collectively take, and clearly they are feel strongly enough about the situation for it to take precedence over Covid 19, which is understandable.

Looting is just theft, and only really detracts from the cause.

Same thing happened with the 2011 riots; the original completely understandable peaceful protest was hijacked by those who wanted anarchy and mayhem to benefit themselves and no one else.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 10:01 - May 31 with 3342 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:32 - May 31 by GlasgowBlue

Do you think that white privileged AntiFa thugs burning down black communities and black owned business, ignoring the pleas of peaceful black protesters and community leaders, is going to lead to any positive change?

Did you miss the bit where I said where violence is concerned the State always wins?

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 10:03 - May 31 with 3328 viewsDarth_Koont

There's a few people on this thread who should take the time to watch Trevor Noah's take.

The main aspect about a social contract that is broken is key. And attempts to impose what is socially acceptable protest or how anger should be channelled come across as hollow as a result.

Trevor Noah vid by Oldsmoker 30 May 2020 10:48
This is a vid of Trevor Noah commenting on the George Floyd killing.
It's not funny like his Daily Show output and it's not meant to be.
It's his thoughts on American society and it's attitude towards Black people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4amCfVbA_c&list=TLPQMzAwNTIwMjCIeGj6UoD_ZA&index=3

Edit: the link doesn't work for some reason.

Go on Youtube and search Trevor Noah George Floyd

It's well worth watching

Pronouns: He/Him

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 10:04 - May 31 with 3322 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:32 - May 31 by GlasgowBlue

....also that is literally a very black and white assessment of the reality in the ground and only serves to detract from the core issue.

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 10:04 - May 31 with 3322 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:58 - May 31 by pointofblue

Same thing happened with the 2011 riots; the original completely understandable peaceful protest was hijacked by those who wanted anarchy and mayhem to benefit themselves and no one else.

Yes, I was in Manchester when that happened.

The Manchester riots was pure opportunism by local youths, and didn't appear to have anything to do with the original London protests.

....of course they were encouraged when the Mayor said he was sending loads of Manchester police force to help with riots elsewhere!

Not the same scale as the US situation, but you'll always get people looking to take advantage of genuine protests.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 10:06 - May 31 with 3315 viewsSwansea_Blue

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:46 - May 31 by GlasgowBlue

That’s exactly what Trump wants. This will sadly harden his core supporters because all they’ll see is “n*iggers” rioting and looting.

The black community are angry and quite rightly want change but they don’t want to burn their own community down to the ground. The anarchists just want anarchy, which is exactly what Trump wants and needs when he is faltering in the polls.

It’s a right mess. Looks like the 20s could be a time of political/social unrest and divisions. There’s an evolutionary anthropologist at the University of Connecticut who’s tried to make sense of what’s going on. But of a summary here:

https://evonomics.com/science-predicting-rise-fall-societies-turchin/

We’re seeing the same background here, so I just hope we don’t go down the same violence route. We may well do if we let these divisions grow and keep giving a platform to people who seek to create them. Need to start being nicer to each other and work together, in short.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 10:06 - May 31 with 3312 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I’ve cried twice this weekend already... on 09:46 - May 31 by GlasgowBlue

This post was brought to you by the Daily Mail definition of anarchy!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024